I've been going through old pictures

izzythepush

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 03:37 am
@msolga,
I liked her reaction to 'vagina.' Who would have thought the etymology of that would be so sexist.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 04:58 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Quote:
I believe it was spendius who turned the subject of the thread. Saab joined right in in that spirit

All I said was--

Quote:
Having said that I'm inclined to think that posting pictures of children is not quite the right thing to do. Which probably explains why so few people do it.

which is pretty reasonable in view of the obvious fact that it is in line with majority opinion.

The Irish tinker's curse applied to the previous thumber down, who I had castigated, was tame compared to the one I was subjected to and which bids fair to be the most disgraceful post on A2K.

All saab did was offer some evidence that my view is not in the least unusual and that posting pictures of children is an extreme minority taste.

I am interested in old pictures because they contain sociological evidence of previous periods. I am not interested in pictures of children for their own sake and am mystified by the attitude of those who are.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 07:48 am
Well, I'm just gonna weigh in here on all the issues because I think they're interesting.

Bear - I thought the picture of your sons when they were little was cute. I don't think I'm someone you'd consider a friend, so I'm probably not among those whom you'd have been thinking of when you opened your virtual wallet, but I do enjoy looking at pictures of people/children (though I'm not a pedophile) and I did look at that picture and think, 'Aah - cute kids...' just as I look at pictures of anyone else.
I enjoyed that post about the same amount as I'd enjoy a post on 'what are you listening to right now' or something. You were sharing what you were thinking of right then - and it happened to be your sons when they were little- fine.

And spendius:
I'm not in the camp of thinking it's wrong/bad/dangerous/ egotistical to post pictures of kids on the internet.
Actually, the only thing I really do use facebook for is to post pictures of my kids and the natural beauty of somerset where I live so my friends can see what my life is like now, just as I enjoy seeing what their life is like now. Honestly I've not given a thought to the fact that it might mean I'm egotistical or bragging or boastful.
It's just communicating. I'm interested in seeing how they live too and what their kids look like now - especially if they're 20 and I haven't seen them since their kids were 8 or something.
Would it be wrong to post a picture of your kids in a post for 'What made you smile today?'
Kids make their parents happy and smile (sometimes).
A cute kid always makes me smile- jesus - everytime I write something like that I feel like I sound like a pedophile.
Pretty soon we won't even be able to say something like, 'I love children...'
Sad how the world is changing isn't it?

As far as the word '****' goes - it doesn't bother me any more or less than any other bit of name-calling.
I don't understand why adults have to call other adults names at all.
If you don't like something someone says, leave it at '**** you' and walk away.
Name-calling is juvenile and immature.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 08:04 am

Bear is right.
His detractors r illogical.

David
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 08:48 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
You have a nice family, 4 generations now?

I don’t pay attention when someone votes down my posts, I just ignore it completely.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 05:19 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
Last comment, I hope ...

Bear, you dismissed saab's comments by telling her to get fucked earlier on the this discussion.
Surely you didn't expect her to be nice to you after that? . . .
I 'd have accepted it as Bear 's good will and good advice for my erotic well-being;
and then striven to put his advice into practice b4 its too late.

David
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 05:24 pm
point of diminishing returns folks... you guys care more than I do now Laughing
Rockhead

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 05:26 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
good luck with that dave.

let us know what it costs you...
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 05:28 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Last comment, I hope ...

Bear, you dismissed saab's comments by telling her to get fucked earlier on the this discussion.
Surely you didn't expect her to be nice to you after that?
I think she's just demonstrated that it is possible to respond without resorting to name-calling herself. Wink

this is my last comment and Im not sure how many times I have to repeat myself so I'll just say I didn't expect her to chime in on a from her high horse. One would think someone with an IQ higher than room temperature would know what my response would be since I've been around for 10+ years Very Happy
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 05:31 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

****, I care a LOT less at this point.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 05:35 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
Well, we r just kicking it around, Bear; like we always do.

FOR THE RECORD:
Bear is right. It takes a nasty, twisted mind to vote down
so innocuous a post.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 05:36 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
good luck with that dave.

let us know what it costs you...
Will u chip in ??
Rockhead

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 05:37 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I gave at the office...
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 06:00 pm
@saab,
saab wrote:
Thank you for your post....it is refreshing to see that someone
can express thoughts and feelings without using any nasty words.
I am tiried of people using a very strong language in an attempt to try to get their opnions through.

By the way regarding putting pictures of your kids into internet I was reading something about it.
1.As far as I could find out one cannot put a picture into internet
without the allowens of the person on the picture.
There are certain exemptions. I do not have all the rules and regulations in my head.
So u r saying that Bear is NOT ABLE to post what he posted??

saab wrote:
2. There are a certain amount of parents - in Sweden - who do not allow
schoolpictures of their children or a group photo where their children are also there to be put into Internet.
Is there a reason that Bear shud CARE about the parents in Sweden????

saab wrote:
3. Pictures of nicelooking children are misused and put into sites with child ponography.
For the sake of ARGUMENT:
please imagine a worst case scenario about that,
in other words that the picture he posted of his children aged maybe 2 or 3 years
were "put into sites with child ponography" as u put it.
HOW can the people in the picture be affected, assuming the worst???
According to U, Saab, WHAT is the worst that can happen to them??
( The comments of everyone else are also invited. )

For that matter, if Bear posts a picture of himself at that age,
then WHAT is the worst that can happen to Bear??????

Please let us know what u have in mind.
Inquiring minds wanna know !

David
spendius

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 06:09 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I think you might be taking advantage of saab not feeling able to explain that.

The point about Sweden is that it offers a fairly common point of view, one confirmed by so few A2kers posting pictures of their children, and that opponents of the view, for whatever reason, are not justified in using the vituperative language that has been used to express their opposition.

Why do you want to see pictures of A2Ker's children? Why should you care about them?
spendius

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 06:14 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Where does your defence of what the vast majority feel is bad taste come to a stop? Try Genet for some bad taste.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 06:18 pm
I remember being about nineteen and interested in an acronym I heard a lot of in my first year at a very new place, a large school. The acronym was RF. Everything was rf this and that.

I finally asked Manny in one of my bio classes, maybe embryology, what it meant.
He said, 'rat function'. He asked me to their wedding. I did go to it.
I was still duh. Later, natch, I picked it up as rat ****. It's hard to explain how dumb I was. I asked a friend, she wouldn't tell me what **** meant.

Not many years later and somewhat wiser, I worked in labs where words of many sorts were ongoing - a lot of good science conjecture, a lot of good story telling, and a lot of thrown away expletives.

I went between that then lab world and what real world I started to get acquainted with, and the world of a cousin, who agrees with some previous posters re word usage, the world of we who know proper english do not say that.

I will admit I use words ill chosen sometimes. I don't apologize.

ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 06:28 pm
@ossobuco,
Anyway, I'm always glad to see the Bear Family.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 11:11 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
I think you might be taking advantage of saab not feeling
able to explain that.
How do U know what Saab feels???

spendius wrote:
The point about Sweden is that it offers a fairly common point of view,
one confirmed by so few A2kers posting pictures of their children,
That putative causation is speculative guess work.

spendius wrote:
and that opponents of the view, for whatever reason, are not justified
in using the vituperative language that has been used to express their opposition.

Why do you want to see pictures of A2Ker's children?
I love to see BEAUTY, wherever it is to be found; be it in the nebula of the sky,
or in the flowers of the Earth. Bear was kind enuf to show us the beauty of some of his children.

spendius wrote:
Why should you care about them?
To see beauty; that is a goal in and of itself. See above.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2012 11:16 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Where does your defence of what the vast majority feel is bad taste come to a stop?
Wherever I feel like stopping.
I usually don 't give a damn
what anyone else thinks (nor the "majority").

I m not running for office.

spendius wrote:
Try Genet for some bad taste.
?????????