I've been going through old pictures

wandeljw

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 08:26 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

@saab
oooh... that hurt.

Not only that, but saab's remark was also obscene!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 09:38 am
@saab,
saab wrote:

The pleasure is on my side.

you're easily pleased I see. No surprise there.
saab

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 11:57 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
I prefer to be pleased about the little things in life than to exploade and scream and yeall over small things. Getting all upset about a thumb down which even might have been a mistake and if not it was dumb. That sure is waste of time.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 12:01 pm
@saab,
saab wrote:

I prefer to be pleased about the little things in life than to exploade and scream and yeall over small things. Getting all upset about a thumb down which even might have been a mistake and if not it was dumb. That sure is waste of time.

and yet here you are arguing with, trading insults with and inserting yourself into something obviously beneath a person of your moral and intellectual superiority. Shouldn't you be finding a cure for cancer, writing the next great novel or feeding groups of starving people from one fish and one loaf of bread?
msolga

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 04:57 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Last comment, I hope ...

Bear, you dismissed saab's comments by telling her to get fucked earlier on the this discussion.
Surely you didn't expect her to be nice to you after that?
I think she's just demonstrated that it is possible to respond without resorting to name-calling herself. Wink
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 05:05 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Last comment, I hope ...

Bear, you dismissed saab's comments by telling her to get fucked earlier on the this discussion.
Surely you didn't expect her to be nice to you after that?
I think she's just demonstrated that it is possible to respond without resorting to name-calling herself. Wink

I'm pretty sure she got snotty with me first. I will speak to anyone as they speak to me. No apologies, no regrets. It's not the language that's offensive, it's the intent and there's a difference between firing and firing back.
msolga

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 05:39 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
I really don't want to buy into your exchange with saab, Bear ... if you two want to keep arguing that's up to you ...

But, initially I think she was supportive of my view that calling a person you are exasperated by, or furious or completely disgusted with, a "****" was offensive.
And I still don't understand why the worst, the most insulting insult (most often used by men to insult other men) is effectively calling the person you want to insult a vagina.
It says more about attitudes to women to me, whether the person using the term has actually considered the implications of using "****" as their preferred worst insult of choice, or not.
I don't understand why that is so hard to "get".

Anyway, to avoid going over over & over & over what I've already posted here, I'll leave it here now ...

spendius

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 05:46 pm
@msolga,
It's the Irish tinker curses Olga. That wee thing is a bit of a cliche.
msolga

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 05:52 pm
@spendius,
Well maybe Irish tinkers wives didn't like it too much, either, at the time, spendius? Wink

spendius

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 06:00 pm
@msolga,
Go back a bit Olga and look at the curses laid upon people who have nothing to do with anything I say.
msolga

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2012 06:41 pm
@spendius,
OK.
But at another time perhaps?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 05:25 am
I agree with Bear. Saab did not come into this thread to admire family photos, but only to criticize Bear. Bear responded.

In my opinion, inserting yourself to specifically criticize an individual -- without talking about the thread's subject -- is always wrong.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 07:07 am
All I wanted to do was share something nice I stumbled on and .... all this. Jesus, Mary and Joseph.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 07:33 am
@msolga,
Germaine Greer has an interesting take on that particular word. Sorry it's a 2 parter.

saab

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 09:07 am
I did not even post anything to Blue.
I answered msolga on her critizism of bad language and I meant it in general and was not even thinking of Blue at all.
Also in general I answered regarding putting pictures of children on the internet.
All I said was how some people see it. It was not even really meant to Blue just in general.
Then Blue starts to attack me saying things I did not even know I had said.
Using a awful language. So all I wanted was to show him, that you can attack with normal language.
I did not attack him as the first one. He saw it like that.
To say I did come to critizise Blue and not look at pictures is completely absurd.
I did not get in on this until page 4 otherwise I would done it on page 1 if I was after Blue.
End of this post.
wandeljw

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 10:22 am
@saab,
Quote:
I answered msolga on her critizism of bad language and I meant it in general and was not even thinking of Blue at all.
Also in general I answered regarding putting pictures of children on the internet.
All I said was how some people see it.

This is your way of chatting about family photos???
msolga

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 06:45 pm
@wandeljw,
Aw, come on wandel, that's a bit unfair.
We were discussing "language" well before saab entered the discussion .... & by "we" I include Bear, too.
I did try to to re-divert the thread back to the intended subject & to encourage Bear to post more photos, but with no success. In the end I gave up as it clearly wasn't going to happen.
(& btw, I didn't initially "criticize" Bear, I asked him as a favour, to find a substitute word to the one he'd used.)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 07:12 pm
@izzythepush,
Thanks for posting that, Izzy.
Very interesting. The history of language is a fascinating thing!
I tend to agree with Germs on this.
Rather than being "a nasty name for a nasty thing" Wink , as she says: "it is a word of immense power, to be used sparingly".
Personally, I have no problem with the word ****, it's the usage for purposes of expressing hostility & revulsion & abuse (most often by men & usually to insult other men) that bothers me.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 07:18 pm

All of this debate has had NO EFFECT upon my loyalty.

David
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2012 11:35 pm
I believe it was spendius who turned the subject of the thread. Saab joined right in in that spirit