I accidently posted nekkid pictures of myself on Facebook

mismi

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 07:01 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Still, I hear tone that people just don't have her experience and are therefore judgemental. Same with Thomas. Somewhat with me.
But that's actually true, some societies would think all this is silly (well, to distinguish, maybe not entirely about all the internet fling).

I did have a friend from Sweden. The cutest, sweetest girl ever and she said the nakedy issue was such an American thing. I got her point. But I still (even though I loved her and understood) think that modesty is not a bad thing.

It seems to be hardwired.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 07:20 pm
@mismi,
I consider this all to be a learning curve, for some the hard way.
chai2

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 07:31 pm
I'm uncomfortable with this word comfortable.

Rolling Eyes

It's another one of those "I'm trying to say something without actually saying anything" words.

Comfort level. That's even worse.
Thomas

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 07:33 pm
@mismi,
mismi wrote:
It seems to be hardwired.

No, it's a convention. If it was hardwired, the standard for what's modest would be the same in Sweden as in the United States, because people's hardwiring is the same in both places. The fact that standards differ tells us this thing is not hardwired.

Conventions don't just differ between countries, they also change over time. So maybe these online exhibitionists are idiots. Or maybe they just follow different conventions than we and their employers do. Unless we have actual information about their thought process, if any, why pretend that we know either way?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 07:42 pm
@ossobuco,
Aaack, I meant in general, not about you, Mismi.

Plus I'm not so sure who is to be the learner.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 07:51 pm
@ossobuco,
I painted a lot of nudes (get used to that word, but I see the question, sounds very much re object), including one of a nine month pregnant woman, on a large canvas, now in my garage. Very large canvas. Not a painting I was satisfied with myself. I don't like it but can't throw it away yet. The child would be hitting 40.

Me, I connect modesty with privacy - somewhat - and I don't really want to yank that all away.

Indeed, modesty has had some role in art.

0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 08:59 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
I'm uncomfortable with this word comfortable.

Rolling Eyes

It's another one of those "I'm trying to say something without actually saying anything" words.

Comfort level. That's even worse.

Well then that is YOUR issue, YOUR piece of life to deal with.
when I use the word comfortable, that is precisely what it means. In the context of the subject of the naked body, I am for the most part comfortable when unclothed and in front of another person.

Get it? C-O-M-F-O-R-T-A-B-L-E. That is the appropriate word for me to use, it isn't a matter of as you put it
'trying to say something without actually saying anything'

My words and the statements I made in my previous posts in this thread are clear. They reflect where I am in the level of comfort and how I feel which under most circumstances is comfortable. Yes, that's the word. Comfortable. It is not the word I would use to reflect how I feel in all areas of my life, it is the word used regarding nudity...my nudity in particular.
chai2

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 09:27 pm
@Sturgis,
Oh Jesus Sturgis
You really don't get sardonic humor, do you?

I didn't even read your post, just noted it was quite long.

Or maybe it was the other posts you made on this thread I haven't read.

You take things way too seriously. I couldn't have been talking to you, because I don't even know what you said.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 09:29 pm
@chai2,
You're kidding. Why would you not take Sturgis as seriously as you take yourself?

Sturgis is exceptionally thoughtful, very honest. You think you are smarter?
mismi

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 09:48 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I consider this all to be a learning curve, for some the hard way.

Maybe - maybe not. I cannot ever get "comfortable" with the idea of being totally at ease with being "nekkid". Whether this is "learned" or " hardwired" I do not know. We (both my friend from Sweden) and myself were raised totally differently. And I really am okay with either one. I do not feel like I am missing out on being "totally out there" and I am quite sure she is very fine with being "totally out there".

I really am okay with myself. As I am sure she is okay with herself.
I would just prefer to cover up - and she is very fine with not so much. Very Happy

Viva la differance

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 09:52 pm
@mismi,
I'll agree with that. Vive la differance, however you say that.
mismi

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 09:57 pm
@ossobuco,
You are probably correct. Smile

Naked, Nude or not ....I am good. I love my friends and the differences they represent.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 10:13 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Eva wrote:
She meant it was self-evident.

I know what she meant, and it's what I referred to as truthiness. As Wikipedia puts it, "truthiness is a 'truth' that a person claims to know intuitively 'from the gut' or because it 'feels right' without regard to evidence, logic, intellectual examination, or facts." I think the point is relevant here because people who post naked pictures of themselves on the internet evidently have a very different thought processes than Chai, if they have any. (They are very different from mine as well.) Because these people are so different from us, our intuitions are treacherous guides for figuring out what makes them tick. If it's nitpicky of me to point that out, so be it.

Oh, I know what "truthiness" is. I'm a big Colbert fan. Razz

Quote:
No, it's a convention. If it was hardwired, the standard for what's modest would be the same in Sweden as in the United States, because people's hardwiring is the same in both places. The fact that standards differ tells us this thing is not hardwired.

Conventions don't just differ between countries, they also change over time. So maybe these online exhibitionists are idiots. Or maybe they just follow different conventions than we and their employers do. Unless we have actual information about their thought process, if any, why pretend that we know either way?

I agree with you that it's a convention. I also agree with Chai that people who post naked pictures of themselves online are idiots. Laughing
mismi

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 10:21 pm
@Eva,
Quote:
I also agree with Chai that people who post naked pictures of themselves online are idiots

Yep. It just is what it is. Wink
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 11:42 pm
Thomas wrote:
Quote:

But don't you think individual people are hardwired in their own individual ways? I know I'm hardwired to enjoy feeling unconstrained in general - by clothing, by conventions, by other peoples' opinions.

Listen, I was raised by the most modest southern gentlewoman in the world. I never saw my mother naked (until recently when she's needed my help bathing as she's aged). When I was a child, the most unclothed I ever saw my mom was in her slip. I didn't even know adult women had pubic hair until Helene T. and I were looking at her dad's Hustler magazines and I saw this puff of stuff on the woman's vagina and said, 'What is THAT?!' and Helene told me it was hair. And I asked, 'Why do they glue that on themselves? It looks horrible!'
And she erupted in laughter and told our entire sixth grade class, 'Ha, ha, ha - Rebecca doesn't even know about pubic hair yet...and Gary Jacobson was like, 'Oh I guess that means we can guess she doesn't have any yet...ha, ha, ha'
Whatever- I got over it...
And then my daughter has seen me naked countless times - I used to put her in the bath with me to save water and time. Yet and although she has a beautiful figure, she doesn't feel comfortable walking down the beach without a cover up. When I bought her a two piece bathing suit as a little girl, she spent the whole time tugging the top down and the bottom up trying to cover her belly. I never bought her another two piece again. She was hardwired to want to be covered up.
Good - I respect that.
Anyway, despite having been raised by such a modest mother, I am totally comfortable being naked, especially swimming and have been stripping off to go swimming since I was about fifteen. Who cares?

I think if people want to display their naked selves - fine. I don't choose to - but I don't feel inhibited or disgusted by nakedness - mine or anyone else's. I've actually been on a nude beach in Hawaii with my devoutly Christian and very modest parents. It was inadvertent on their part - they didn't KNOW they were taking us to a nude beach, but they didn't get all sick and crazy about it - and we didn't all feel that we had to take off OUR bathing suits and join in.
Live and let live.
I don't think it's an American thing. I think it's an individual thing.
mismi

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2012 06:27 am
@aidan,
Quote:
And then my daughter has seen me naked countless times - I used to put her in the bath with me to save water and time. Yet and although she has a beautiful figure, she doesn't feel comfortable walking down the beach without a cover up. When I bought her a two piece bathing suit as a little girl, she spent the whole time tugging the top down and the bottom up trying to cover her belly. I never bought her another two piece again. She was hardwired to want to be covered up.
Good - I respect that.
Anyway, despite having been raised by such a modest mother, I am totally comfortable being naked, especially swimming and have been stripping off to go swimming since I was about fifteen. Who cares?

Ah - glad to hear it. I was starting to wonder if it was me that made my third child so uptight! ( I think not)
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2012 10:29 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

You're kidding. Why would you not take Sturgis as seriously as you take yourself?

Sturgis is exceptionally thoughtful, very honest. You think you are smarter?

I don't know if I'm smarter or not. I've never given it any thought.

I do know I'm gun shy of sturgis, after he attacked me both online and in more than one PM.

Frankly, that's why I don't read him. While I don't want to put him on ignore, because I DO in fact scan his posts for the random interesting word or thought, I've found from experience he's unstable, doesn't remember what he said a few days prior, and then contradicts himself. First agreeing, then taking the opposite stance, with no transition. I don't hold it against him, I think it may be the meds he's on, or medical condition that causes it.

I admit I regret even responding with the sardonic remark. (regrets, I've had a few, but then again....), and I'll just go back to not reading him.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2012 10:54 am
@Eva,
Eva wrote:
I agree with you that it's a convention. I also agree with Chai that people who post naked pictures of themselves online are idiots. Laughing

You truthinesser!
Thomas

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2012 10:58 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
But don't you think individual people are hardwired in their own individual ways? I know I'm hardwired to enjoy feeling unconstrained in general - by clothing, by conventions, by other peoples' opinions.

Sure. But to explain social mores in terms of hard-wiring, what counts is the average state of hardwiring within the society. And when the society in question is as large as a nation, individual differences will average out.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2012 04:51 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Eva wrote:

You truthinesser!

Why, thank you, sir!

(Nicest thing anyone's called me yet today.)
0 Replies