I accidently posted nekkid pictures of myself on Facebook

Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 10:37 pm
@chai2,
No, i wasn't kidding. A very, very small fraction of the population have the kinds of physiques which would make them candidates for nude photos. Most of us, however, are only going to be attractive while in the nude to those who are already attracted to us for other reasons. In such a case, they should come look in person and in private. Anyone who is spreading photos of themselves in the nude by electronic means is an idiot. Even if one could allege that one is a member of the tiny minority whose physiques are suitable for nude photos, it would be stupid to be spreading them around electronically for free. If you're that hot, you can sell 'em.
mismi

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 07:55 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Even if one could allege that one is a member of the tiny minority whose physiques are suitable for nude photos, it would be stupid to be spreading them around electronically for free. If you're that hot, you can sell 'em.

absolutely.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 09:04 am
@edgarblythe,
A couple of very pregnant ladies should totally do that.
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 10:27 am
@chai2,
Quote:
Well, start thinking. It's what separates us from the giraffes.

Well, for men, it's understandable. To quote Robin Williams:
"Men have enough blood pressure to run their brain and their penis, but only one at a time!"

I've never been able to figure why women put naked or nearly naked pictures on Facebook.

"Look at me at the office Christmas party! Whoa, wardrobe malfunction!"

Joe(um..you wonder why you got fired?)Nation
Sturgis

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 10:59 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
No, i wasn't kidding. A very, very small fraction of the population have the kinds of physiques which would make them candidates for nude photos. Most of us, however, are only going to be attractive while in the nude to those who are already attracted to us for other reasons. In such a case, they should come look in person and in private. Anyone who is spreading photos of themselves in the nude by electronic means is an idiot. Even if one could allege that one is a member of the tiny minority whose physiques are suitable for nude photos, it would be stupid to be spreading them around electronically for free. If you're that hot, you can sell 'em.

While it might be utterly insane to spread photos of ones self around on the Internet, many have done it and they have done it freely and without concern (which makes me question their sanity considering how these things can then spread around the Internet to other places than where first posted). There are all sorts. Classic model types, who are young with well defined features. Older and older and downright OLD. Thin, overweight, frighteningly obese (frighteningly as in concern for their health), hairy, not hairy. Every hair plucked or waxed off the body. Tattooed, scars, piercings, etc. etc.

There's never been a desire in me to take a picture of myself nude, much less send any out. To the best of my knowledge nobody has ever taken any pictures of me nude...not even as a baby. If someone had a camera out and was preparing to do so, I'd stop them. In this day and age of cellphones equipped with cameras it is sadly easier than ever for this sort of thing to be done. Many have allowed the pictures to be taken by their lover/spouse/whatever and when things have gone sour have soon learned their image is floating around on the Internet.

This doesn't indicate a problem with being viewed nude. It has happened and at the most awkward times. Well, only once was really awkward. When I slipped and fell in the tub, July 2009, my neighbor came up and got me back up (I have a phone by the tub). I didn't feel the least bit uncomfortable, my body is far from perfect, and at that time I had a fairly fresh scar on my stomach; but, it wasn't an issue. So there I stood, we were talking and after a time I apologized for still being unclothed. At any rate, it's my body, damn well better be comfortable with it. Others had better be good with theirs as well. My memorial service, once I am dead will be clothing optional, this has already been discussed with a good friend of mine.

At any rate, who are we to decide if a person has a body which is going to be attractive enough for others? If a person feels comfortable and wants to display, that's their business not mine. Of course they might want to think down the road, when they land a nice job, sign morals clauses contracts and the photos then surface. Odds are that Withee's photo was snagged by somebody and will end up resurfacing in the future. It takes only that split second for it to become a world property.
chai2

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 11:17 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Joe(um..you wonder why you got fired?)Nation

The worst part of this is something I said before.

He's a high school coach, coaching our (collective) offspring.

Not a wise career move.

The person who saw the photo(s) sometime in the scant 10 minutes they were up was the parent of a student.

Oh yeah.

chai(if making a choice of sending blood to the penis or brain, pick the brain everytime)tea
Sturgis

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 11:25 am
@chai2,
Okay so we have now figured why men decide to send these things, what is the reason that women do it?

chai2

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 11:50 am
@Sturgis,
Well, thanks to Robin Williams and JN for telling us.

Seriously though, about the women....that's a good question.

There are a lot of things my tribe does in that area that I don't understand.

Food for thought.
mismi

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 12:46 pm
@chai2,
I would think women do it for -

well the way I see it -
1. power. They are counting on the man to think with his penis so they post pics knowing they have some power over him.
2. If they are posting pics of themselves they obviously think they look good - so maybe they need adulation.

Either way - they either are not thinking of the consequences - or they are goofy enough to think it will stay between them and whoever they sent them to.
chai2

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 02:21 pm
@mismi,
mismi wrote:

I would think women do it for -

well the way I see it -
1. power. They are counting on the man to think with his penis so they post pics knowing they have some power over him.
2. If they are posting pics of themselves they obviously think they look good - so maybe they need adulation.

Either way - they either are not thinking of the consequences - or they are goofy enough to think it will stay between them and whoever they sent them to.

I thought of those points mismi, and a couple more...

3. Wanting to be compliant and go along/get along. "Oh baby, you're so hot, send me some pics of you. You know what that does to me" In her mind maybe "He loves me! I want/need to do this to make him happy."

Now I'm NOT trying to make this seem like it's all some guys fault. Both males and females ask each other to do stuff that isn't cool. Some people are able to better stand up for themselves and say "Are you out of your mind?! I'm not going to do that!"

I curious as to how many people, especially women, do that because someone asked them "persuaded" them, etc.

4. They may think this is making them powerful, but it could be because they feel they don't have much power in more important parts of their lives....like the power to say No without thinking something horrible will happen.
Just a thought.

I dunno, this ability we now have to immediately do something like this smacks of immaturity, and potty humor.
engineer

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 02:46 pm
@chai2,
Andre Agassi offered to show the high bidder at a charity auction a nude picture of his wife so it's not just teenagers and politicians doing this stuff. There's a happily married couple carrying around pictures and sharing them for charity.
chai2

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 03:00 pm
@engineer,
I wonder what Mrs. Agassi thought about that.

I'd like to have been a fly on the wall when he got home.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 03:06 pm
Just so you know this goes on everywhere and for all time.
Okay. At least back to the Sixties.
Dateline March 1967
Place: Lackland Air Force Base
Basic Training Week Three
A bunch of us are sitting around the barracks late at night, shooting the **** and breaking each other balls about home towns, baseball teams and the like. The subject of women comes up. Much posturing about whose prowess at getting beautiful women was greater.
I went to my locker and pulled out my picture of the face of the beautiful M. whom I had left back in Boston. AH...lovely, long reddish blond locks, perky mouth, button nose.
Others followed, showing pictures of girlfriends sitting on picnic tables or beach blankets, a wife holding a two-year old by the hand while standing by a car.
Nice.
Then this guy, I don't remember anything else about him, says: "I can top all y'all" and he passes around a photo of a totally naked and,um, exposed woman on a bed.
"Is that your girlfriend?" someone asked.
"Hell, no." says he, "I'm married to that."

Joe(I'm sure it was her intention to be shared.)Nation Shocked
ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 03:08 pm
I can see ehBeth's take on this, as I take the yuck factor as varying for the individuals. (We did two polaroids and tore them up immediately, it was fun - not yuck. That was back in the dark ages of yore. So I have some humor about all of this, including possibly some of the instances of people now stupidly posting.)

The problem to me is a mix of the spread factor re the photo distribution - it's past logarithmic, or at least sometimes is, plus there is a long shelf life; combine this with either internet stupidity, low self regard/high self promo, and I get that this can be very destructive.

I mistook this thread - I thought the cat was meant to be a funny bit. Can't tell if it was wearing a lycra suit or shaved, and I prefer to think the first or some weird photoshop. I didn't think the thread was meant to be in fun, but not quite so much without humor, 'cept for Set's post.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 03:13 pm
@Joe Nation,
Oh God Joe,
You must have been in the airforce w/ my husband.

We were talking about this last night, and he told almost the exact same story.

He said this guy was so proud showing around his pictures of his wife.

I hope he didn't tell her about it when he got home.

For the record, my husband didn't think it was right....oh he looked, but he didn't think it was right.

Thomas

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 03:36 pm
chai2 wrote:
I accidently posted nekkid pictures of myself on Facebook

You too, Chai??? Thanks for the thought, but I must confess I'm getting jaded about all those nude pictures on the internet. It's been too much. It can only be a matter of time until truly rebellious young people pose on Facebook clean-cut, in the style of Clark Gable and Katherine Hepburn. Their pantless parents will so disapprove!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 03:39 pm
@Joe Nation,
Are you sure? I suppose you're right, but don't just know that.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 03:45 pm
@Joe Nation,
Thinking a little further, that might have been common by then to have photos as both dear keepsakes in some situations and brag tickets in others.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 03:46 pm
@chai2,
Oh, I looked too. I didn't think it was right, but I didn't think it was right not to look.
Joe(It made him so happy and proud.)Nation
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 03:47 pm
@ossobuco,
O, my tongue was firmly in cheek when I said "I'm sure."

Joe(where the hell is the sarcasm symbol??)Nation