I accidently posted nekkid pictures of myself on Facebook

Setanta

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 11:08 am
@mismi,
I'm in the nude for love
Simply because you're near me . . .

Funny but . . .
Funny butt?
Funny butt, you've got the cutest little funny butt . . .
Thomas

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 11:21 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Reeling back the inner Puritan is a challenge every day.

I'll shimmy to that. (It's one of the perks of being obese: my boobs are fabulous! Hold on, let me send you a picture to prove it. . . .)
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 11:25 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:

What I'd like is for people to accept other people's comfort level about their own bodies and not to judge them for it. Not to think that they are seeking power, not to think that they are attempting to arouse others, not to make assumptions about what is guiding them.

Bing! Bing! Bing!
Agree with this. Acceptance of comfort levels which people have and less of the idea that it's all sexual. It's not, in no way has it ever been that for me.
Quote:
I'm sure not perfect about it - a definite work in progress. I've been learning a lot in the area of body image in the last month/s through the Belly Be Well class I've been taking. Our instructor challenges us on judgment calls regularly.

My earliest ease with my body is unknown. I have no idea when I became comfortable...most of the time, not always. I still have moments where I'm off. I know by the start of this century I'd finally reached the level of being generally accepting of my body. Again, I am not a runway model...not even if it were a runway show for corpses. The only place it really causes anxiety is in some medical settings. Not all. It depends on the day, what the exam is for and who the examiner is.
Quote:
True.

People are often uncomfortable with appearance, intelligence, social status, etc. etc. I recall a few years ago...and I may have mentioned this before, so deal with it people, deal with it...I was reading After Death: How People of the World Map the Journey After Life, by Sukie Miller (soon after I really needed to reference the book as I was edging into the after life).

At one point she brings up Esalen Springs/Spa whatever it's called and she made mention of the people there entering into the surroundings and being fully nude. People who have had various medical situations where body parts have been removed or there are surgical scars. She wrote that at the start, people are uneasy but soon forget about their differences and are at ease.
(if I can locate the book and paragraphs I will post them here at a later point, she wrote it better than I am describing it)

To me, it is a matter of we all have differences from each other.
At any rate, I am in general comfortable with my body, I don't feel everyone has to be, either with mine or with their own or anybody else.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 11:37 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

What I'd like is for people to accept other people's comfort level about their own bodies and not to judge them for it. Not to think that they are seeking power, not to think that they are attempting to arouse others, not to make assumptions about what is guiding them.

For heavens sake ehbeth, this isn't about comfort level.

In todays world, I'm as equally tired of the phrase "don't make assumptions" as I am with other PC phrases such as "don't judge"

I am willing to bet that our judgements and assumptions about people are much more on the mark, than they are totally off base. We are thinking beings, and one of the greatest things we can do with our brain is make judgement calls, and assumptions, based not only on past experience, but logic.
Based on that you could say "well, that's been Your experiences."
You'd be correct. I'd also be correct in then thinking the person speaking was trying to lessen the truth of what I've experienced and thought.
If we all walked around never judging, never assuming, we'd be in a hell of a mess.

For instance, even though I've posted otherwise, you still post as if my posts are based on being uncomfortable with being naked.

I think it's naive to think an everyday person, who isn't an artist, posing for an artist, or trying to make some kind of political statement is sending naked pictures to others, or posting then online just for the heck of it.

Come on, you really think people do that just to let everyone see what they look like naked? No big deal, it's the same as this other pic where I'm wearing a suit, dress, jeans and T-shirt.

Really?

The thing I keep coming back to is this guy totally screwed his career over this.
I hope it's a warning to others to be careful what they show.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 11:56 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Come on, you really think people do that just to let everyone see what they look like naked? No big deal, it's the same as this other pic where I'm wearing a suit, dress, jeans and T-shirt.

Really?

Yes, I do think that is how some people think about it.
mismi

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 12:05 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
I'm in the nude for love
Simply because you're near me . . .

Funny but . . .
Funny butt?
Funny butt, you've got the cutest little funny butt .

You have such a way with words. Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 12:33 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

For instance, even though I've posted otherwise, you still post as if my posts are based on being uncomfortable with being naked.

I'm not concerned with your personal feelings about your own nudity.

I'm more interested in/posting about assumptions we make about why other people do the things they do.

I'm not nearly as convinced of this

Quote:
I am willing to bet that our judgements and assumptions about people are much more on the mark, than they are totally off base.

as you are.

People misunderstood actual spoken/written words constantly, and we see lots of posts about people misreading others body language.
chai2

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 12:50 pm
@ehBeth,
People also constantly read each other correctly, in written, verbal, and body language communication.

We read each other correctly much more often than incorrectly, or this world wouldn't be able to function.

If it's not about my personal feelings about nudity, you're making a lot of assumptions about peoples feelings about it in general, aren't you?

I'm not trying to argue with you ehbeth, take that as true or not.

Don't you see that you're doing exactly what you wish others wouldn't?

edit: I just reread what you wrote...

so you're interested in what "other" people do what they do, but not me personally?
Am I not a people, representative of all people?
Is it all other people except me that you're interested in, or do you want to pick and choose whose who you want to know about?

Do you not see that you're making assumptions/judgements as to who is worthy of being interesting to you?
chai2

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 12:55 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

chai2 wrote:

Really?

Yes, I do think that is how some people think about it.

Yes, some people, but not most. Not not vast majority.
Thomas

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 01:47 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Yes, some people, but not most. Not not vast majority.

How do you know that? Remember, the vast majority of your fellow citizens doesn't post pictures of their naked selves to begin with. As you said yourself, they wouldn't be interested even if this wasn't frowned upon. That leaves a small minority of people who do post such pictures. How many members of that small minority have you talked to? Enough to confidently tell what motivates 'the vast majority' within that small minority?
chai2

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 03:15 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

How do you know that?

Because I'm not an idiot.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 03:17 pm
@ehBeth,
Ok, I see I flew past that (sorry).
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 04:49 pm
@chai2,
Thomas wrote:
How do you know that?

chai2 wrote:

There you go with your truthiness again. Without empirical evidence for your non-idiotic mind to work from, you have no basis for judging people's motives. That's why I asked for your evidence.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 05:15 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
you're making a lot of assumptions about peoples feelings about it in general, aren't you?

as far as I know (and think I've posted), my assumption is that there is a range of opinions on the subject - and then I've posted my opinion/hope for the future.

Quote:
Everyone will have their own comfort level about their own body and how much of it they want seen by anyone, but I'd like the baseline to be that whatever is cool for you is fine - and nobody else's business/problem.

ehBeth wrote:

Someone doesn't want to show/someone doesn't want to to look - that's fine (for now - I'd like more acceptance in future generations).
chai2

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 05:31 pm
@ehBeth,
But you've said so many other things ehbeth, why not quote yourself on them also?

You made replies that only answer a previous post if a specific word or two is taken out.

You're very selective in what you want to perceive is to be anwered.

Point is, anyone who runs the risk of ruining their careers, or perhaps personal relationships by posting naked pics of themself online, either accidently or on purpose, is stupid. Doesn't matter if he, me, you or anyone else is comfortable with nakedness or not.

He was stupid, and it was a stupid think to attempt to do.
Eva

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 05:54 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Thomas wrote:
How do you know that?

chai2 wrote:

There you go with your truthiness again. Without empirical evidence for your non-idiotic mind to work from, you have no basis for judging people's motives. That's why I asked for your evidence.

She meant it was self-evident. Same as your assertion that she has a "non-idiotic mind."

(lol) You guys crack me up!
chai2

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 06:09 pm
@Eva,
No, just likes to nit pick.

When he get's like this, like he did in this last post, I just stop reading his minutiae for awhile.

Yeah, that's the word, self evident.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 06:42 pm
Well, several peoples' tone is that we should all know better, and that is why the buzz.

ehBeth did make her point that everyone be granted their level of comfort (my words).

Still, I hear tone that people just don't have her experience and are therefore judgemental. Same with Thomas. Somewhat with me.
But that's actually true, some societies would think all this is silly (well, to distinguish, maybe not entirely about all the internet fling).

So what's the problemo? We disagree? We usually disagree.
Thomas

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 06:55 pm
@Eva,
Eva wrote:
She meant it was self-evident.

I know what she meant, and it's what I referred to as truthiness. As Wikipedia puts it, "truthiness is a 'truth' that a person claims to know intuitively 'from the gut' or because it 'feels right' without regard to evidence, logic, intellectual examination, or facts." I think the point is relevant here because people who post naked pictures of themselves on the internet evidently have a very different thought processes than Chai, if they have any. (They are very different from mine as well.) Because these people are so different from us, our intuitions are treacherous guides for figuring out what makes them tick. If it's nitpicky of me to point that out, so be it.
mismi

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2012 06:58 pm
@chai2,

Quote:
Point is, anyone who runs the risk of ruining their careers, or perhaps personal relationships by posting naked pics of themself online, either accidently or on purpose, is stupid. Doesn't matter if he, me, you or anyone else is comfortable with nakedness or not.

yeah...that is rather a moot point. Dorkus must abstain if he wants to remain a coach.