The Lies, foibles and misrepresentations of John Kerry

hobitbob

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 09:28 pm
I don't know. You posted it. I was just saying to sounded like it came from there. How about a link to where you got it?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 09:31 pm
My mistake
I didn't realize there was another "Hoffa" heading the teamsters. Obviously this isn't the one buried under homplate in Yankee Stadium. Smile
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 09:41 pm
I hope he likes baseball!
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2004 10:11 pm
I think Kerry's inability to pick a keynote theme is a problem only to the extent that most Americans are unable to wade through every policy area and, instead, rely on gross simplifications to choose candidates. Without a clear and simplified focus that can be summerized in less than ten seconds, most of what Kerry says will simply be ignored by, or fly over the heads of most Americans.

Tis a sad fact that politics has too be reduced to such inanity......
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 09:13 am
IronLionZion wrote:
Without a clear and simplified focus that can be summerized in less than ten seconds, most of what Kerry says will simply be ignored by, or fly over the heads of most Americans.

Oh, I think he got that bit figured out:

"Vote for me against Bush. I was in Vietnam."

Meanwhile, remember the flap about Dean's comment on Southern guys in pick-up trucks with Confederate flags? I always thought the striking thing about that comment wasn't about that flag. It was the way in which, trying to get the point across that the Dem party shouldnt give up on the South, Dean resorted to stereotyping gross enough to show just how totally disaffected he was with that group.

Here's Kerry, making the same point. Less stereotyping here, but notice the same disaffection - emphasis mine:

"Kerry mentioned a litany of reasons, among them the fact that he has been tough on crime and fought for fiscal responsibility in the Senate. 'I'm a hunter. I'm a gun owner,' Kerry continued. 'I think I know the language of that culture.'"

Dean and Kerry, they're talking about those guys as if they aren't actually in the room too, listening in - and as if they're some foreign culture, but can be hauled in easily enough by pandering to a cliche or two. There's something disturbingly patronising about it all.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2004 09:19 am
Quote:
Matthews had asked Hoffa why the union chose to endorse the Massachusetts senator even though Kerry opposed drilling for oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR).

"Well, we talked about that," Hoffa responded. "He says, look, I am against ANWR, but I am going to put that pipeline in and we're going to drill like never before." [..]

When Matthews pressed Hoffa for details on the promises Kerry made, the Teamsters president offered a vague response.

"Well, they are going to drill all over, according to him," Hoffa said. "And he says, we're going to be drilling all over the United States. And he says that is going to create more jobs." [..]

Hoffa's comments have left Kerry's largest environmental backer somewhat confused about what the union chief might mean by Kerry's intentions to "drill like never before."

Ebell added, "It may be the old Bill Clinton routine of telling each person you're talking to exactly what they want to hear, and hoping it never catches up to you."

Heh. Some people were getting PLAYED, here ...
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 12:26 pm
Kerry would act unilaterally in sending troops to Haiti to protect their democracy, but if it came down to protecting ours he'd let the UN handle it. This guy does alot of tongue wagging. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Kerry's Haiti jab

Faults Bush and says he'd send U.S. troops

By THOMAS M. DeFRANK and MAGGIE HABERMAN
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Sen. John Kerry accused President Bush yesterday of deliberately helping insurgents in the bloody Haitian uprising and said he would use American militaryforces to stop the violence if he were in office.
In a wide-ranging discussion with the Daily News Editorial Board, the Democratic front-runner also suggested Bush dragged out a nuclear nonproliferation agreement with Libyan leader Moammar Khadafy so he could exploit the deal during his reelection campaign.

Kerry (D-Mass.) said he would have sent troops to Haiti even without international support to quell the revolt against President Jean-Bertrand Aristide.

"President Kerry would never have allowed that to get where it is," Kerry said, though he added he's not "a big Aristide fan."

But he insisted the White House "has empowered the insurgents, and they've done it quite purposely out of their dislike ... for Aristide."

A Kerry administration would have given the rebels a 48-hour ultimatum to come up with a peaceful agreement - "otherwise, we're coming in," he said.

"I would intervene with the international community, and absent an international force, I'd do it unilaterally," he said, adding the most important thing was to protect democracy.

Kerry also suggested Bush sat on December's deal to have Khadafy renounce weapons programs to get a political boost. "Khadafy's been trying to get back into the mainstream for several years now," Kerry said. "There's evidence that we could have had that deal some time ago."

As proof, he said he'd heard "from friends in the British government that the deal was in a slow lock," although he declined to give specifics to back it up.

Bush campaign spokesman Kevin Madden called Kerry's comments "reckless and irresponsible" and accused him of "taking a step deeper into conspiracy politics." He said Kerry's remarks "are not befitting a serious candidate for President."

In the 45-minute interview, Kerry also:

Seemed to flip-flop on his opinion of the controversial security fence Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon is constructing.
Kerry insisted a past comment questioning the fence was "a not very artfully drawn paragraph" that reflected "the rush of the campaign." He insisted he "completely supports" the fence and only questioned where it's built.

Slammed the Bush administration for a "sweetheart relationship" with Saudi Arabia that has been bad for the U.S.

Said the electoral map has shifted from the 2000 election, and that he has a good chance to win Southern and Midwestern states that eluded Al Gore. He mentioned Ohio and Wisconsin as possible Dem pickups.

Ducked a chance to join Sen. John Edwards in charging Bush with exploiting Ground Zero in the GOP convention to be held in the summer. "I don't know about that. I wouldn't comment on that," he said. "People will draw their own judgments about that."

Source
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2004 04:49 pm
Came across an oldie ...

Quote:
On outing Kerry
Jeff Jacoby, Boston Globe columnist

The junior senator from Massachusetts is a lifelong Catholic whose paternal grandparents appear to have converted from Judaism long before he was born. Though he has known for 15 years that his grandmother was originally Jewish, he rarely spoke about it in public. He didn't bring it up in his 1996 or 2002 re-election campaigns.

But that changed after The Boston Globe reported on Page 1 that his grandfather, too, had been born Jewish. Within hours, Kerry was in a Florida synagogue, extolling his Jewish roots.

"I am so excited," he told the American Israel Public Affairs Committee during a dinner last week at Congregation B'nai Israel of Palm Beach. "I've embraced what I have learned, and a light has literally turned on within me -- like an epiphany -- and I am proud to share this special measure of connection with you."

At one level, I think, he was speaking sincerely [..] But I also think he was speaking from a political calculus that never found a Jewish grandparent something to be "excited" about until now -- when for the first time in his career, he has to campaign for Jewish votes outside his home state.

By the same token, it never did Kerry any harm to be universally mistaken for Irish in Massachusetts, a state whose political culture is dominated by Irish Catholics.

[..] His press aides insist he makes a point of speaking up when he sees or hears himself described as Irish. "Kerry has never said he is Irish-American and has always corrected it when people have assumed it because of his name," his spokesman David Wade told The New York Times.

Yet there is no sign that Kerry or his staff have ever alerted the Globe when it mistakenly labeled him Irish, sometimes in front-page stories he couldn't possibly have missed. [..]

Does any of this matter? Obviously the details of Kerry's family tree have no bearing on his fitness for office. His reactions are relevant only because they seem to fit his career-long pattern of equivocation and calculation -- trying whenever possible to have it both ways, always maneuvering to leave himself an out.

It's an old story. When it served Kerry's purposes to be seen trashing his Navy medals in an antiwar protest, he put on a show of doing so ("John Kerry of Waltham . . . said before he threw his medals over the fence: 'I'm not doing this for any violent reasons, but . . . to try to make this country wake up once and for all' " -- Boston Globe, April 24, 1971). But when he ran for the Senate and wanted to upgrade his old image, he put on a different show ("Kerry, after showing a reporter his medals and ribbons on display in his Back Bay apartment, said he had disagreed with other protest leaders on throwing away medals" -- Boston Globe, Oct. 15, 1984).

[..] Ambivalence on a thorny issue is no sin in a politician. An aversion to being pinned down on any issue is.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 05:46 pm
Have you seen these yet? Kerryisms?

18 May
19 May
20 May
21 May

I predict that they won't be as big a hit as the Bushisms, for one because long-winded vanity is still a less dangerous trait for a president to have than bull-headed ignorance, but mostly because the proposed set-up is so complicated. A Bushism was/is "funny" because the insanity of it all strikes you immediately. The art of a Kerryism is a more refined one.

Still, try to read some of these Kerryisms, and marvel at how the sheer ineffectual, insipid pomposity of it all is revealed. The way one can peel the layers off a Kerry quote the way Saletan does, suggests depressing insights on why exactly Kerry floods his sentences with meaningless words so pathologically. Is it to sound more interesting, intelligent or nuanced (hence vain, pompous)? Or is it an innate urge to always be covering his ass, by strewing every possible statement with all kinds of conditioners? (Not just when something really tricky is involved, mind you, but as an ingrained instinct, at work in every turn of sentence.) Or is it an internalised craving to please everybody all the time, the serpentine insipidness of it an expression of a pathological fear to offend or turn away?

At least, when you get the hang of how they work and read a couple of Kerryisms in a row, you realise that whatever causes him to speak that way, its gone way beyond any rational motive. He probably doesn't even notice it himself, or perhaps he notices but just can't help it. If it does come from a fear to ever offend anyone, of course, it's backfiring, but what can you do?

Do also scroll down to what a poster called Iron_Lungfish on Slate's Fray has to say in critique of the whole Kerryism thing, though: Slate, Kerry and anti-intellectualism. And another poster suggested that Saletan's items are in fact quite comforting, since they remind us of what Kerry really intended to say, which one would most of the time easily agree with.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 05:47 pm
Now what I need is a Saletan to do with my posts what he does with Kerry quotes ... ;-)
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 06:07 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 10:28 pm
nimh wrote:
Now what I need is a Saletan to do with my posts what he does with Kerry quotes ... ;-)

Coming soon to a thread near you....NIMHISMS!
0 Replies

mporter

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 03:00 am
Kerry will never be elected because when all is said and done, he will be identified as a "liberal"

The Democrats know the word "Liberal" is the kiss of death and that the American voter will not vote for a liberal.

Is John Kerry a liberal?

According to the Alamanac of American Politics- 2002

"Kerry came to the Senate with a reputation as a strong liberal. Kerry is rated by Group Ratings as being as liberal as Ted Kennedy, the senior senator of Massachusetts"

As liberal as Ted Kennedy?

The American voting public will never buy it!
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 04:13 am
http://www.latimes.com/includes/ramirez/today_ramirez_20040311.gif
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 03:15 pm
blatham wrote:
Coming soon to a thread near you....NIMHISMS!

well, whatcha waiting for?! ;-)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 03:40 pm
Whatever the shortcomings of Kerry, he just doesn't have karesema!
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 06:10 pm
PDiddie wrote:
Clinton lied, but nobody died.

Every soldier Clinton sent to war came home alive.

Bush is still lying, and our soldiers are still dying.

And if they are fortunate enough to come home in one piece (or even less than that), Bush will cut their veterans' benefits.

Bush is the Worst. President. Ever.

There are some kids in Mogadishu who may disagree.

I haven't read the whole thread. If this error has already been pointed out, my apologies.
0 Replies

Ibn kumuna

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 06:47 pm
Salaam Alaikum!

Well, certainly there is no doubt that Bush led us into a whirl of lies and bellies; however, I don't believe such leads him to be the "worst" president in American history.

Further, Kerry needs to select a theme, and fast! The only thing that is keeping him above water is Bushes failings; that won't last very long, homes.

--Ibn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 07:32 pm
ibn_k, You're absolutely right! Kerry needs to find a theme pretty soon or he's dead meat.
0 Replies

mporter

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 10:41 pm
Bush is the worst president in American History?

George F. Will said that Clinton was not the worst president in American History but he was the worst person ever to have been president.

By their fruits you shall know them:

What did Clinton do in his eight years?

1. Sponsored a failed Socialized Medicine proposal

2. Pressed for MFN status for China- got it despite the fact that it was a conservative favorite.

3. Pressed for NAFTA-got it despite the fact that it was a conservative favorite

4. Pressed for Welfare Reform- got it despite the fact that it was a conservative favorite and that the extreme left excoriated him for it.

5. LOST the House and Senate for the Democrats.
The first time that they had been shut out in years.
The Republicans owned the House and Senate in 1994, 1996 and 1998

6. Was the first president of the United States to have been impeached since Andrew Johnson.

7. Took a plea bargain from the special prosecutor on his last day in office in which he admitted lying, paid a $25,000 fine, lost his law license for five years.

Now, some people will say that Clinton's term was absolutely benign. The facts above say different.

And for those who make the charge that President Bush "lied" and our soldiers died because of it, I am constrained by the admonitions of Mr. Dlowan who implored us all to define.

I use Black's Law Dictionary to define "lie"

AN INTENTIONAL STATEMENT OF AN UNTRUTH DESIGNED TO MISLEAD OTHERS.

Now, some on these posts may be able to cavalierly say that President Bush lied, but they do not understand that to prove someone lied they must prove that the person who allegedly lied was fully aware that the statement that he or she made was untrue. THEY MUST PROVE IT BEYOND THE SHADOW OF A DOUBT. If they can't, the allegation is just so much puffery.
0 Replies