The Lies, foibles and misrepresentations of John Kerry

Thomas

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 03:01 am
sozobe wrote:
Some people I respect will vote for Bush for reasons that I don't like but can respect. But there are a whole lot of other people who choose who to vote for for the stupidest reasons. (Either party.) That's what I'd like to get away from and dunno how, it's not campaign finance reform -- it's the tabloidization of the election process.

I am pessimistic that you can get away from that. After all, your concern has been voiced for at least 170 years. Here's a quote from a prominent source who wrote in 1835.

In 'Democracy in America', Alexis de Tocqueville wrote:

The characteristics of the American journalist consist in an open and coarse appeal to the passions of his readers; he abandons principles to assail the characters of individuals, to track them into private life and disclose all their weaknesses and vices.

Nothing can be more deplorable than this abuse of the powers of thought. I shall have occasion to point out hereafter the influence of the newspapers upon the taste and the morality of the American people, but my present subject exclusively concerns the political world. It cannot be denied that the political effects of this extreme license of the press tend indirectly to the maintenance of public order. Individuals who already stand high in the esteem of their fellow citizens are afraid to write in the newspapers, and they are thus deprived of the most powerful instrument that they can use to excite the passions of the multitude to their own advantage.

The personal opinions of the editors have no weight in the eyes of the public. What they seek in a newspaper is a knowledge of facts, and it is only by altering or distorting those facts that a journalist can contribute to the support of his own views.

Source

Given the tenacity of the phenomenon at hand, I don't think there's a practical solution to it. If there was, someone would have discovered it in the meantime. On the other hand, America turned out to do pretty well over the last 170 years. So maybe it's not as much of a problem as concerned Americans think today. Maybe there's reason to hope.

Sozobe wrote:
Competency tests for voters were mentioned here someplace, I like that idea, really. It would take serious work, and would require a lot of effort to make sure people were not disenfranchised -- interpreters, classes, etc., etc. If people had to pass a test to vote, maybe that would finally make them examine the issues.

I don't like the idea for two reasons. 1) The competence-testers will have their own political agenda, and that would undermine democracy even more than voter incompetence does. To see what I mean, imagine George Bush hiring Karl Rove for the position of Voter Competence Test Commissioner. It seems easy to predict where the story goes from there, and I don't like that story.

2) People vote for stupid reasons because they have no personal incentive to be informed voters. If everyone thinks long and hard about who the next government should be, we will all and up with a just and competent government. If everyone but me thinks long and hard about it while I think long and hard about which car to buy, we still end up with a just and competent president, plus I end up with a heck of a car. Because everybody thinks like that, the nation ends up with good cars and bad governments. The ignorant-voter-problem is at its core one of free-riding, and competence tests wouldn't change that.
0 Replies

John Kerry

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 03:24 am
kERRY IS A DICK HEAD.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 05:34 am
Nice juxtaposition!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 06:30 am
Thomas wrote:
I don't like the idea for two reasons. 1) The competence-testers will have their own political agenda, and that would undermine democracy even more than voter incompetence does. To see what I mean, imagine George Bush hiring Karl Rove for the position of Voter Competence Test Commissioner. It seems easy to predict where the story goes from there, and I don't like that story.

I agree Thomas. But what if registering to vote meant you had to attend a one hour class on citizenship? Right now all you have to do is check a box when you get your drivers license. Do you think that would discourage people from registering?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 07:04 am
I can't agree. In a democracy every citizen gets to vote. The competent, incompetent, smart, dumb and all those in between. Presently only about 50% of the eligible voters take advantage of that privilege.
If we set up boundaries who knows what the percentage would than be? In addition it would set up an exceedingly dangerous president where the government or congress could determine who can and who cannot vote for them. Imagine what our politicians could do with that. Twisted Evil
What I would go for is a competency test for those running for office particularly congress and the white house. This last election revealed a crying need for that. Embarrassed
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 07:10 am
I know, Thomas, you make good points, I was in a ranty mood.

I like au's suggestion. ;-)

We're just stuck, eh?

How come it's different in Europe, Australia, etc.? (The page 16 thing.) IS it different there? Is it different, if so, for actually bad core reasons -- something about class, say? Is it something that could be arrived at or something that, once it's gotten away from, it's permanently gone?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 08:12 am
Free Duck wrote:
Right now all you have to do is check a box when you get your drivers license. Do you think that would discourage people from registering?

I certainly think so. Here in Germany, voters don't even have to check this box. Communities require their citizens to register with them when they move in. As a side effect, nobody needs extra registration as voter. This lowers the barrier to voting, and consequently, voter turnout here is consistently higher than in America. If I remember correctly, it was just short of 80 percent in the last federal election.

au1929 wrote:
In addition it would set up an exceedingly dangerous president where the government or congress could determine who can and who cannot vote for them.

Agreed. On a slight tangent, this reminds me of a Berthold Brecht poem on the East German workers' uprising on June 17, 1953, which is rather famous here in Germany. Here is a fairly competent translation from Brad de Long's weblog:

After the uprising of June 17,
The Secretary of the Writers' Union
Had leaflets distributed in the Stalinallee
In which it was said that the people
Had lost the confidence of the government
And could win it back only
By redoubled efforts.

In that case,
Would it not be simpler
If the government
Dissolved the people
And elected another?

Sozobe wrote:
How come it's different in Europe, Australia, etc.? (The page 16 thing.) IS it different there? Is it different, if so, for actually bad core reasons -- something about class, say? Is it something that could be arrived at or something that, once it's gotten away from, it's permanently gone?

Here are my guesses. 1) Because voter turnout is much higher here (see "automatic registration" above), politicians have more votes than in America to gain by swinging the political center, and less votes than in America to gain by mobilizing their more extreme, more ideological base. This pushes the political discourse towards moderation.

2) Unlike in America, European people like you and me have no say in the position their member of parliament takes, and who becomes their party's candidate for president, prime minister, or chancellor. Members of parliament are required by party custom to (almost) always vote for the party line, and candidates for top offices are chosen through coups, intrigues, and backstabbing among party bigshots, not through a reasonably transparent process that is open to all. In other words, the tabloidization is in part the price America pays for something very valuable: Public opinion in America, unlike public opinion in Europe, has a very direct influence on party-internal politics, so is actually worth influencing. Public opinion in Europe is not worth swinging for that purpose.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 08:16 am
From history class, the goverment via the Supreme Court took measures to eliminate the poll tax as it disenfranchised poor (primarily black and in some cases Mexican American) voters. The 24th Amendment to Constitution was ratified I think in 1964:

"Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax."

About the same time a mandatory literacy test in some places was also scrapped because unscrupulous local regimes designed such to disenfranchise some (primarily black) voters. (Whites were graded much more leniently than blacks.)

On another thread, Phoenix raised a question of how it should be determined whether persons suffering from dementia, etc. are competent to vote to avoid having 'proxy voters' exploit them.

Given rampant voter fraud in the last (and probably previous) elections, I am personally supporting the following:

1. All persons will show positive ID before casting a vote. (Here our local Democrats are vigorously fighting against that.)

2. Persons casting absentee ballots will swear under penalty of perjury that they are signing their own name.

3. Designated sworn officials will assist those who need help to vote. A person must be able to identify himself or herself and must be able to state without prompting who s/he wishes to vote for. Nobody should be able to vote by proxy other than through a designated official.

4. Anyone voting more than once in any election will be subject to serious fine and/or imprisonment.

Otherwise, Au is right. All eligible registered voters must be allowed to vote no matter how uninformed they are.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 08:35 am
Thomas wrote:
Here are my guesses. 1) Because voter turnout is much higher here (see "automatic registration" above), politicians have more votes than in America to gain by swinging the political center, and less votes than in America to gain by mobilizing their more extreme, more ideological base. This pushes the political discourse towards moderation.

That makes sense. Just showing up with ID from that state showing your current address should make you eligible to vote. I think part of the problem here is that each state does its own ids and without too much communication with other states. So it's possible that someone could have ids for two different states and vote twice. But it seems like it's possible to vote twice with current system also -- maintaining voter registrations in two states.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 08:38 am
au1929 wrote:
What I would go for is a competency test for those running for office particularly congress and the white house. This last election revealed a crying need for that. Embarrassed

My first reaction to this was to nod enthusiastically. A few minutes later, it occurred to me that your suggestion would have made it impossible for Nelson Mandela to become president of South Africa, impossible for Vaclav Havel to become president of Czecho-Slovakia, and impossible for Mahatma Ghandi to become president of India. My enthusiasm is dampened as a result.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 08:43 am
Thomas
Of course that was written with tongue in cheek. However, it could also have kept Georgie out of the presidency of the US. Would that have been so bad? Embarrassed Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 08:49 am
For the 50% of us who voted for him it would have been. I am still shuddering to think that Al Gore might have been president when 9/11 happened.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 08:50 am
FreeDuck wrote:
That makes sense. Just showing up with ID from that state showing your current address should make you eligible to vote. I think part of the problem here is that each state does its own ids and without too much communication with other states.

IDs are certainly a weak spot in your system. For example, a German friend of mine from highschool once spent a year in Skokie, Illinois as an exchange student. He got himself a fake ID to become admissable in liquor stores. As the 1986 mid-term elections approached, he thought it would be a heck of a prank if he managed to vote there as a 17-year-old German. So he gave it a try, and it worked. (Not sure if it would still work in these homeland-security-conscious days.)

au1929 wrote:
However, it could also have kept Georgie out of the presidency of the US. Would that have been so bad?

Of course not -- that's why my enthusiasm was only dampened, not destroyed Wink
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 08:52 am
Foxfyre wrote:
For the 50% of us who voted for him it would have been. I am still shuddering to think that Al Gore might have been president when 9/11 happened.

50% of those who voted...
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 09:04 am
Thomas
An identity card would be the answer. However, for some reason, that I really do not understand, is opposed here in the US. With the stealing of Identities running rampart in the US I think it's time has come.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 10:01 am
Though the title of this thread is a little off, I thought I would link to a nice piece I found on a simplified transalation of Kerry's position over at Slate:

http://slate.com/Default.aspx?id=2106946&

Quote:

Please read it, there are a lot of good points here.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 12:56 pm
Check back with him tomorrow, it'll all change.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 01:06 pm
Yeah, right. Very typical answer.

Try and move beyond talking point memos while arguing.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 01:20 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Yeah, right. Very typical answer.

Try and move beyond talking point memos while arguing.

Cycloptichorn

But it's the most well documented talking point in history. Laughing
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 01:21 pm
Not really.

here's one for ya:

"Those who seek to bestow legitimacy must themselves embody it, and those who invoke international law must themselves submit to it."
Kofi Anan

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies