The Lies, foibles and misrepresentations of John Kerry

nimh

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 01:12 pm
Brand X wrote:
But some government watchdogs said Kerry's story is a textbook case of Washington special interest politicking that he rails against on the presidential trail.

"The idea that Kerry has not helped or benefited from a specific special interest, which he has said, is utterly absurd," said Charles Lewis, head of the Center for Public Integrity that just published a book on political donations to the presidential candidates.

Thanks Brand X - I'd read a lot about Kerry and special interest donations, but all about earlier years, this is much more recent.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 01:52 pm
nimh wrote:
Kerry does well among all Democrats currently, including Afro-Americans and Latinos. But how does he compare to the other contenders among Independents and other cross-over groups?

First, this is what I have been asking in the non-AABB thread, and while of course the sample is way too small to be valid, Edwards is a non-starter among those who have voiced their opinions (though tied with Clark and only two votes behind Kerry [8 to 10] in the poll, which is part of why I have been begging more people to speak up.)

Second, the article you cited is pretty narrow in its scope. Have you found a national poll for what independents/ swing voters think? If so, I'd be very interested in seeing it. Slightly different emphasis, and additions:

Quote:

[addition]

Perhaps most significant, upward of two-thirds of voters on Tuesday, whether or not they chose Mr. Kerry, said they would be satisfied if he was the eventual nominee. In South Carolina, where Mr. Edwards scored a victory of nearly 15 points, 80 percent of all voters and 73 percent of Mr. Edwards's own supporters said they would be satisfied with Mr. Kerry at the top of the ticket in November. (The surveys did not ask that question about the other candidates.)

-snip-

if Mr. Kerry has tapped into voters' rational desire for a winner, Mr. Edwards appears to have touched something more visceral. In Oklahoma, where Mr. Edwards dueled General Clark to a virtual draw, more than 4 in 10 voters most concerned about picking a candidate who cared about people like them chose Mr. Edwards, compared with just under 2 in 10 for Mr. Kerry and 3 in 10 for General Clark. Among voters who cited the economy and jobs as the issue that mattered most in determining their choice, Mr. Edwards won 37 percent, compared with 27 percent for Mr. Kerry. [See first paragraph for support for Kerry among Edwards supporters.]

In South Carolina, where Mr. Edwards was born the son of a millworker, nearly one-quarter of voters said the most important quality in choosing a candidate was whether he cared about people like them, and Mr. Edwards won nearly 6 in 10 of this vote, as against 2 in 10 for Mr. Kerry. And among the nearly 50 percent of South Carolinians who cited the economy as the most important deciding issue, Mr. Edwards won just over half the vote, compared with just over one-quarter for Mr. Kerry. [See first paragraph for support for Kerry among Edwards supporters.]

Mr. Edwards also fared better among self-described independent voters, who, if not quite the typical swing voters of a general election, perhaps came closest on Tuesday to reflecting moods among the overall electorate. In Oklahoma, where the contest was so close and independents accounted for just over 10 percent of the vote, Mr. Edwards drew 34 percent of independents, followed by General Clark, with 28 percent, and Mr. Kerry, with 18 percent.

Even in Missouri, where Mr. Kerry won by more than 25 percentage points over Mr. Edwards and independents accounted for a quarter of the electorate, Mr. Kerry drew just 37 percent of the independent vote, compared with 57 percent of Democrats. And even while losing badly over all in Missouri, Mr. Edwards drew the support of 28 percent of independents.

[addition, last paragraph in the article]

Mr. Edwards's big challenge now is to show that he can not only replicate such support in Southern states like Virginia and Tennessee but also extend and build on it in states, like Michigan or Wisconsin, outside his home region.

I am definitely interested in any more national polls about independents and swing voters, which of course include registered Republicans.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 02:05 pm
Quote:
THE REAL KERRY

By HOWIE CARR
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 5, 2004 -- BOSTON

ONE of the surest ways to get the phones ringing on any Massachusetts talk-radio show is to ask people to call in and tell their John Kerry stories. The phone lines are soon filled, and most of the stories have a common theme: our junior senator pulling rank on one of his constituents, breaking in line, demanding to pay less (or nothing) or ducking out before the bill arrives.

The tales often have one other common thread. Most end with Sen. Kerry inquiring of the lesser mortal: "Do you know who I am?"

And now he's running for president as a populist. His first wife came from a Philadelphia Main Line family worth $300 million. His second wife is a pickle-and-ketchup heiress.

Kerry lives in a mansion on Beacon Hill on which he has borrowed $6 million to finance his campaign. A fire hydrant that prevented him and his wife from parking their SUV in front of their tony digs was removed by the city of Boston at his behest.

The Kerrys ski at a spa the widow Heinz owns in Aspen, and they summer on Nantucket in a sprawling seaside "cottage" on Hurlbert Avenue, which is so well-appointed that at a recent fund-raiser, they imported porta-toilets onto the front lawn so the donors wouldn't use the inside bathrooms. (They later claimed the decision was made on septic, not social, considerations).

It's a wonderful life these days for John Kerry. He sails Nantucket Sound in "the Scaramouche," a 42-foot Hinckley powerboat. Martha Stewart has a similar boat; the no-frills model reportedly starts at $695,000. Sen. Kerry bought it new, for cash.

Every Tuesday night, the local politicians here that Kerry elbowed out of his way on his march to the top watch, fascinated, as he claims victory in more primaries and denounces the special interests, the "millionaires" and "the overprivileged."

"His initials are JFK," longtime state Senate President William M. Bulger used to muse on St. Patrick's Day, "Just for Kerry. He's only Irish every sixth year." And now it turns out that he's not Irish at all.

But in the parochial world of Bay State politics, he was never really seen as Irish, even when he was claiming to be (although now, of course, he says that any references to his alleged Hibernian heritage were mistakenly put into the Congressional Record by an aide who apparently didn't know that on his paternal side he is, in fact, part-Jewish).

Kerry is, in fact, a Brahmin - his mother was a Forbes, from one of Massachusetts' oldest WASP families. The ancestor who wed Ralph Waldo Emerson's daughter was marrying down.

At the risk of engaging in ethnic stereotyping, Yankees have a reputation for, shall we say, frugality. And Kerry tosses around quarters like they were manhole covers. In 1993, for instance, living on a senator's salary of about $100,000, he managed to give a total of $135 to charity.

Yet that same year, he was somehow able to scrape together $8,600 for a brand-new, imported Italian motorcycle, a Ducati Paso 907 IE. He kept it for years, until he decided to run for president, at which time he traded it in for a Harley-Davidson like the one he rode onto "The Tonight Show" set a couple of months ago as Jay Leno applauded his fellow Bay Stater.

Of course, in 1993 he was between his first and second heiresses - a time he now calls "the wandering years," although an equally apt description might be "the freeloading years."

For some of the time, he was, for all practical purposes, homeless. His friends allowed him into a real-estate deal in which he flipped a condo for quick resale, netting a $21,000 profit on a cash investment of exactly nothing. For months he rode around in a new car supplied by a shady local Buick dealer. When the dealer's ties to a congressman who was later indicted for racketeering were exposed, Kerry quickly explained that the non-payment was a mere oversight, and wrote out a check.

In the Senate, his record of his constituent services has been lackluster, and most of his colleagues, despite their public support, are hard-pressed to list an accomplishment. Just last fall, a Boston TV reporter ambushed three congressmen with the question, name something John Kerry has accomplished in Congress. After a few nervous giggles, two could think of nothing, and a third mentioned a baseball field, and then misidentified Kerry as "Sen. Kennedy."

Many of his constituents see him in person only when he is cutting them in line - at an airport, a clam shack or the Registry of Motor Vehicles. One talk-show caller a few weeks back recalled standing behind a police barricade in 2002 as the Rolling Stones played the Orpheum Theater, a short limousine ride from Kerry's Louisburg Square mansion.

The caller, Jay, said he began heckling Kerry and his wife as they attempted to enter the theater. Finally, he said, the senator turned to him and asked him the eternal question.

"Do you know who I am?"

"Yeah," said Jay. "You're a gold-digger."

John Kerry. First he looks at the purse.

Howie Carr, a Boston Herald columnist and syndicated talk-radio host, has been covering John Kerry for 25 years.

Source
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 02:29 pm
sozobe wrote:
Second, the article you cited is pretty narrow in its scope. Have you found a national poll for what independents/ swing voters think? If so, I'd be very interested in seeing it.

I'd be, too, though it's useful to keep an essential difference in mind.

Opinion polls have at times been on the mark (N.H.) - and at times been wildly off (Iowa).

But the numbers quoted here are exit polls - that is, based on interviews of voters as they exited the polling stations. They tend to be a lot more like actual reflections of the vote.

And the difference can be enormous. In the last national opinion poll, Kerry polled 49%. Yet in the actual voting, Kerry got that percentage only in half of Tuesday's states.

sozobe wrote:
First, this is what I have been asking in the non-AABB thread, and while of course the sample is way too small to be valid, Edwards is a non-starter among those who have voiced their opinions

Ehm - a "non-starter" is someone who doesnt stand a chance, right? "Hasn't yet kicked a dent in a packet of butter", as we say here <grins>?

As you go on to point out, in your straw-poll thus far both Edwards and Clark actually got 25% of preferences - and Kerry just two votes more, or 32%.

1 in 3 for Kerry - 1 in 4 each for Clark and Edwards.

In a field of four, that pretty much looks like a draw to me ... ;-)

Basically, calling any of 'em a "non-starter" in this context is somewhat rhetorical. If he is, they all are.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 02:32 pm
...........actually, come to think of it (which I hadnt yet, until now), the score's a little surprising in fact - considering the overwhelming surge Kerry is riding.

I mean, basically - Kerry's doing better than ever, basking in the positive reflection of sweeping victories. Democrats are flocking to him - 9% three weeks ago, 49% now, according to the last poll. He's got the Big Mo -- life's not going to get much better than this.

Against that backdrop, A2K's non-ABBs actually look rather sceptical ...

Eye of the beholder ;-)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 02:47 pm
I said "among those who voiced their opinions" -- I meant "those who posted." I have no idea who actually voted in the poll. Coulda been Bush supporters who wanted to even things out. Who knows.

Excerpts from what people have said:

au -- Kerry, Edwards, or Clark would all be fine.

georgeob -- maybe Lieberman.

Asherman -- maybe Kerry, and "Kerry, in my opinion, is the Democratic candidate most likely to draw the swing votes necessary to defeat Bush."

roger -- maybe Edwards, but "First, and not especially flattering, I know nothing about him at all, which is an improvement in the present contex. Second, I do like his name."

Rae -- maybe possibly but probably not Clark (almost definitely Bush)

Fishin -- Bush and Kerry 50-50 (so if not Bush, Kerry.)

JamesMorrison -- Kerry.

BrandX -- Maybe Clark.

OCCOM Bill -- Maybe Clark.

That's what I mean by Edwards being a non-starter among responses given, unless you count roger of course. Wink
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 03:17 pm
Yeh, I was just revisiting the thread myself, because I thought it'd be interesting to count who the respective posters would NOT vote for, in any case.

It was kinda hard to distinguish estimations of "what I think the American people will not buy" from "what I would personally not vote for" - but, counting ebrown's "not sure about" Clark as half a negative, I ended up with:

NOT Clark 2,5 - 3,5
NOT Kerry 3 - 4
NOT Edwards 4 - 6
NOT Dean 6 - 8

Still, I think you can trust the vote, too. I often vote in A2K polls without posting (though not, I swear, in this particular one ;-)). I wouldnt much worry about Bush-voters "secretly" voting for Edwards (or anyone) for effect, in order to, what? prevent the danger of Kerry getting traction from an A2K straw poll? <grins>. (In any case, you woulda seen more votes for Dean with that kinda thing).

Also - <reads again, more closely>

sozobe wrote:
Quote:
Mr. Edwards also fared better among self-described independent voters, who, if not quite the typical swing voters of a general election, perhaps came closest on Tuesday to reflecting moods among the overall electorate.

Yep - you got me there ! ... Razz Razz

The voters among whom Edwards actually did best, and Kerry only pulled 18%, may have been the "closest" one could get in Tuesday's results to what actually would "reflect moods among the overall electorate" - but they were still not quite the typical swing voters. True ;-).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 03:28 pm
Yeah, that was my main point. (Dislike using eyerolly thing on people, so won't here.)

Look, I have one goal here -- trying to figure out who has the best chance not just with Democrats but with swing voters. The evidence I have seen so far, while hardly comprehensive, but including what you have posted, makes me think Kerry over Edwards. Not that Kerry will definitely hands down landslide whoosh into the White House, OR even that Kerry is the better guy,

The article you cited said something really narrow -- that it's not absolutely hopeless for Edwards, and that in the South, where he always expected to do well and actually won a state, his only win, there was more support for him than Kerry among Independents. That doesn't convince me, at all, that in a nationwide presidential election, Edwards would get more swing votes than Kerry.

I'm not seeking to prove you wrong, I'm trying to figure out who has the best chance, so I can then support that person and do whatever little tiny thing I can to help him win in November.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 03:30 pm
What much of the Edwards/South talk completly misses is that the South is not the king-maker.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 03:57 pm
My ignorance showing: is Oklahoma considered the South?

Anyway, the main point I took from that NYT exit polls snippet - which is why I posted it - was not actually about Edwards' chances - it was about Kerry's - in keeping with the spirit of the thread ;-).

Kerry is sailing high now. But I see problems with him, big problems, that I've outlined here ad nauseam. And these exit polls confirmed them.

Both in Oklahoma and in Missouri, Kerry did significantly worse among Independents than among registered Democrats. (And yes, Edwards, and to a lesser extent Clark, did better).

Both in Oklahoma and South-Carolina, Kerry fell spectacularly far behind among voters who were most concerned about picking a candidate "who cared about people like them". (Far behind his score among other voters in the same state, that is - this one is not about "the South").

Both in Oklahoma and in South-Carolina, Kerry fell far behind among voters "who cited the economy and jobs as the issue that mattered most".

These all sound like core strategic swathes of voters. I mean, you'll need to draw Independents in. The Dems want to make this a campaign about economy and jobs - as far away from Osama a topic they can find. And the Dems are obviously trying to paint the Bush candidacy as being about rich folks giving each other tax breaks -- at making the Bushies seem like people who dont care about you.

Now thats why these polls struck me - because if thats the kind of campaign you wanna do, then you'll want someone in there who does well on those scores, especially, no?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 04:00 pm
Brand X wrote:
Quote:
ONE of the surest ways to get the phones ringing on any Massachusetts talk-radio show is to ask people to call in and tell their John Kerry stories. The phone lines are soon filled, and most of the stories have a common theme: our junior senator pulling rank on one of his constituents, breaking in line, demanding to pay less (or nothing) or ducking out before the bill arrives.

The tales often have one other common thread. Most end with Sen. Kerry inquiring of the lesser mortal: "Do you know who I am?"

And now he's running for president as a populist. [..] Every Tuesday night, the local politicians here that Kerry elbowed out of his way on his march to the top watch, fascinated, as he claims victory in more primaries and denounces the special interests, the "millionaires" and "the overprivileged."

Yeah - I have a bit of a problem with swallowing anything the New York Post writes. But it does echo what else I've read about Kerry-as-a-person, post-post-Vietnam.

It underlines again that Kerry's weakness is a wholly different beast from Dean's. Dean's strategic weaknesses were pretty fundamental, political issues. Kerry's are largely petty, personal ones. Even on the Senatorial track record, it's the flip-flops and half-hearted post-factum prevarications, as much as any specific unpopular political stance, that makes him vulnerable.

Kerry, it seems, just isn't a very pleasant or trustworthy person. Worse - cause how many politicians are? - he doesn't seem to be very succesful in making people believe he is, either - not over time. (This correlates with those poll data about appealing on the "cares about people like you" score).

It's like what someone said about the effect of Lieberman's campaigning - "the more they've seen of him, the less they like him". Dean has made many enemies, but his most ardent supporters are from his home state. From some of the stuff you pick up on Kerry, you get to feel that with him it's his most ardent foes that are from his home state ;-).
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 04:22 pm
I think as time goes, if Kerry is picked as the nominee the party will be sorry they didn't give Clark more support. Kerry is going to prove out over the next few months that he isn't as electable as everyone thinks.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 04:31 pm
nimh wrote:
My ignorance showing: is Oklahoma considered the South?

Anyway, the main point I took from that NYT exit polls snippet - which is why I posted it - was not actually about Edwards' chances - it was about Kerry's - in keeping with the spirit of the thread ;-).

nimh, it's easy to play opposition. Any candidate can be bismirched. Fact is, there are options. And considering the other options IS about Kerry.

One of the big supposed benefits of Edwards is appeal in the South, which is silly as the south isn't the king-maker.

Personally, I'd like to see the democrats make only a perfunctory effort for the south.

Quote:
Kerry is sailing high now. But I see problems with him, big problems, that I've outlined here ad nauseam. And these exit polls confirmed them.

And like I said, you can find a knock on anyone, and even find polls that will support it. <shrugs>

Quote:
These all sound like core strategic swathes of voters. I mean, you'll need to draw Independents in.

That's one way to look at it. Another would be to consider that the president is not elected by any of the people in those polls. The president is elected by the EC.

Because of this system some states are not likely to play much of a part. Actually, let me reword that. Some states' parts are very predictable. They play a part but what part they play is almost a fait accompli.

So it's not just about drawing independants, but also in what state.

Of the Dem candidates Kerry does the best in the "swing states". So by comparison all the other Dem candidates have "problems", even "big problems" that are confirmed by "polls".

Like I said, you can always find an angle to use (complete with polls) to show that a candidate has "problems" or a legitimate knock on them.

I think you have hit some good points (e.g. how Kerry's character is percieved). But personally I do not think they will come into play. Heck you can find polls to confirm or deny just about any preconcieved idea.

For e.g. the polls you post about matchups against Bush all show Kerry as beng a more solid Dem candidate than all the others against Bush.

Personally, I think the critical facts are obscured by all the data and polls. To me the critical fact is how the EC will break down.

To me it's not just "swing voters" but "swing voters in swing states".

So for the purpose of simplicity let's just say we agree on all of what you've posted. But who do you think is the best Dem candidate by the S.V.S.S. criteria?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 06:21 pm
I don't understand why Kerry would need to borrow money or use special interest money for campaign, don't he have a rich supporting wife, why else is he called a gigolo, I mean they can't have it both ways.

In any event, I hope that kerry wins if he is the democrats pick, but I am afraid for him. I keep thinking that Clark has Clinton behind him and if he does then he has a much better chance against the republicans. But then again, even if Clark looses, hopefully Clinton and Hillary and all the rest of those will get in gear and help attack the republicans. I know that sounds mean, and people keep saying that negative campaigning don't work, but in my opinion you got to fight fire with fire. Not exactly original. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 06:34 pm
For goodness sake...the New York Post! One needs only to review the first five or six paragraphs to find a dozen examples of muck-raking innuendo.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 07:00 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Personally, I'd like to see the democrats make only a perfunctory effort for the south. [..] The president is elected by the EC.

I've seen the calculations that show that one can achieve a majority in the EC without winning any Southern state, of course. The most simple one submits that if you just win all the states Gore won, plus New Hampshire, you're already there. Fair enough.

I find that a risky logic, though. I mean, elections are unpredictable. Though its true, like you say, that many states are quite predictable, there's always going to be the odd states that do something just different from what you expected. So a calculating approach that leaves the South aside because, theoretically, you could also win if only you just win all the states A, B and C, sounds ... yeh, risky. Noone's won a national election without going for an all-union strategy, including some Southern states, yet.

Quote:
And like I said, you can find a knock on anyone, and even find polls that will support it. <shrugs>

For sure. Lies, damn lies and statistics. Only good way to use stats is to underbuild a premise that already makes sense by itself, with some concrete indications of evidence - or to convincingly falsify one's theory by sheer weight of contrasting evidence.

Obviously, I dont think that in this moment of Big Mo, I could find any poll that could credibly 'falsify' the premise that Kerry could actually well be quite successful. I did, however, find stats that vividly reinforce my independently argued fear that he could well not be. And thats about the extent stats go ...

Quote:
For e.g. the polls you post about matchups against Bush all show Kerry as beng a more solid Dem candidate than all the others against Bush.

True - and I keep posting them - my dislike for Kerry doesnt go that far! Razz

I did add the observation, though, that from what I've seen, anyone who gets upwind, who gets on top thanks to some big or small momentum, immediately profits from that very fact, again, too. The Dems and some independents are desperate to find a 'winner' against GWB, and apart from Dean, most candidates still benefit from a relative unfamiliarity - allowing the voters to project their hopes upon their blank slate a little. Kerry being a perfect case in point.

In much the same way, when Clark came up, he was suddenly the most 'electable' from the Dem candidates in hypothetical match-ups against Bush. Even Dean ended up doing as well as his competitors in such poll match-ups when he seemed like the sure-fire winner. Now Kerry is profiting from the fact that being a winner makes you seem like a winner ... and thus more electable - and thus the obvious choice to opt for, now that some choice needs to be made.

In an ideal world, that would ride him right through to the elections, but alas, no matter how Big the Mo', it wont sustain that long. There'll be regular scrutiny, again. With that, the argument of electability goes away from national polls again, and into estimations of what one thinks will work for or against a candidate - for which the more specific polls provide better fodder.

To just annoyingly return to that poll just now for a moment - Missouri is a swing state. Kerry won there, resoundingly - some twenty or thirty percent better than Edwards. But among the Independents who took part in that Dem primary, he did a lot worse, only some ten percent better than Edwards. How about Independents who did not come out for the Dem primaries, but whom you would need for a general election win? Or moderate Republicans?

In general, I think that in terms of electability, its better to opt for the candidate who does better under Independents than under Democrats, than vice versa, since its that direction you're going to have to be hunting for new voters. I mean, God knows I hate the system, and I'm deeply grateful for having proportional representation here in Holland. But thats how it goes. You also need to bring in the base, and the people who might as well stay at home, the not-so-very-interested. Thats why I think a little populism is OK - it helps rally the core and some of the alienated, while it doesnt need to take you programmatically too far leftfield to lose your appeal to politically aware moderates.

Quote:
To me it's not just "swing voters" but "swing voters in swing states".

So for the purpose of simplicity let's just say we agree on all of what you've posted. But who do you think is the best Dem candidate by the S.V.S.S. criteria?

I gotta say, like I did before - you need someone with a solid I'm-one-of-your-kind, ordinary-folk appeal, that will resonate with blue-collar communities, with small-town communities, and not just with the metropolitan areas on both coasts. (This is not just a strategy question, btw - I feel very strongly that this is also something you should want).

All down the Mississippi, from Wisonsin to Missouri to Arkansas or Louisiana -- all the Midwest, the Southwest too -- you need the newly unemployed, the lower middle class in those states -- and they wont vote for you because you're against the Iraq war, or even just cause you've got a good health insurance plan. You will need some kind of process of identification, too. Thats why I really picked up on that segment of voters for whom it was most important that they felt the candidate "cared about people like you", in that poll. That'd be classic floating-voter material, people who are not into policy finesse, but will switch to GWB if the Dem against him doesnt seem like the right kinda honest, regular guy.

I dont think even state-by-state polls will cut it, therefore, to predict how candidates will do in a few months' time. I think you will need to look at which kind of voters a candidate appeals to within each state, too - and whether that is the segment that would go and vote - and vote Democratic - in any case, or whether they are good new or cross-over groups.

That was one reason I was getting uneasy with Dean. There was a lot of talk about pulling in new voters, but his campaign, even in Iowa, targeted mostly the university towns, the big cities. aded for Gephardt and Edwards that they did the opposite - both in terms of strategy and sympathy. (Yeh, fat lot of good it did Gephardt, I know. But it sure helped Edwards.)

That factor plays big for me in future unease about Kerry. Swing voters in swing states - whether Penn. or Tenn. - dont think Bush is an extremist and an ideologue, as Blatham put it, and they will vote for him again if the Dem is not someone they can identify with -- no matter what the policy issue of the day. So -- I dont think Kerry will make it.

Alternative options, its true, are not great. Dean is obviously out. That leaves Clark and Edwards. Clark, like Dean, suffers from an all-too transparently inflated ego. But as a cross-over voter himself, an army man, a Southerner from modest background, he could jump over that shadow and still be 'one of us'. He's been doing better already, recently.

But yeh, for now I gotta go for Edwards. He's still trailing in the polls, but he does well with all the cross-over kind of voters - did so both in Iowa, Missouri as well as South Carolina. I dont think, if he becomes the candidate, that he'll have to worry about the liberals and the coasts, Kerry's bedrock of support - they went for Clinton, too, and he was a centrist from the outback, after all. And he'll do well among those groups that Kerry will, imho, get into trouble with. You already have Revel mouthing Coulter's "gigolo" quip (hi Revel Wink). This personal stuff about him being elite will stick. Edwards and even Clark have a better shot. But then you knew already that I was going to say so ;-).
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 07:20 pm
DAMN that was long. Sorry ...
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 07:55 pm
Brand X wrote:
I think as time goes, if Kerry is picked as the nominee the party will be sorry they didn't give Clark more support. Kerry is going to prove out over the next few months that he isn't as electable as everyone thinks.

My sentiments exactly, Brand X. I'm afraid you're right....and I pray we're both wrong.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 08:55 pm
nimh, that was long. The stat I mentioned that you post shows Kerry beating Bush. My point was that even a straightforward stat like that might not mean much.

As much as I want it I don't think that Kerry would beat Bush. Despite what that stat would imply.

Anywho, I think that when the Bush campaign starts Kerry would have the least weaknesses. I think weathering Rove's campaign will be a big issue.

Anywho, it might not. That's just what I think. But you knew that already too. Mr. Green
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 10:13 pm
Bush had better have some rabbits in the hat -- his rating has slumped below 50%.
0 Replies