Christian QB erases Steelers

sozobe

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 09:11 am
@gungasnake,
It was a well-executed standard play. I see Aaron Rodgers (and Jordy Nelson or Greg Jennings or...) do it all the time.

I didn't say it was easy, I said that the hyperbole about the play is out of proportion to what it was.

The pass was good. The receiver's stiff-arm, the defender's lackadaisacalness, (that was an eminently stoppable play), and the receiver's speed is what turned a good pass into a touchdown.

And it was one good play with perfect timing, out of a pretty meh day overall. He had a 47.6% completion rate and 316 yards, for a QB rating of 125.6. Less than 50%! That's pretty bad.

Compare that to the Green Bay BACKUP quarterback, Matt Flynn, in the last game of the season in which several starters sat out (but the opposing team was trying to win): 70.5% completion, 480 yards, 136.4 QB rating.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/11443/matt-flynn
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13200/tim-tebow
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 09:15 am
@sozobe,
Yeah, it's not that people are hating on Tebow, but c'mon. He had the lowest pass completion rating in the NFL this season. 'Accurate' isn't the right word for him.

Great game by him though... let's see him throw the same sort of passes against New England next week before we crown him the 'new hotness,' however.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 07:24 pm

0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 12:47 am

the lasting image of tebow's season will not be one of him kneeling in prayer,
but one of him scrambling to avoid yet another sack...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 01:15 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

What faith is the Steelers QB?

A more appropriate title might be "Christian QB defeats Christian QB."

Serious question:
Do you really think that Tebow's faith has anything to do with winning the football game?
djjd62

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 06:34 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Serious question:
Do you really think that Tebow's faith has anything to do with winning the football game?

according to a recent poll (done some time last week) 43% of people believe that god is helping him win games

god must have been busy last night, maybe she had a hot date
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 08:40 am
@DrewDad,
I thought Big Ben was Jewish, but I just did a fact check and evidently not.

http://www.jewornotjew.com/profile.jsp?ID=68 (among others)

Loved the Fallon thing.

Jimmy Fallon and/ or his staff wrote:
This is Jesus Christ to Tim Tebow
Please leave me alone
Don’t you know my day of rest is Sunday?
And I’m sick of watching all these Broncos games

I hear that you play New England next week
Dude, you’re on your own
Brady is too good and I got better things to do

Yep, yep.

Fun day of football yesterday, hope today is as fun. (Go Packers!)
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 08:49 am
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/01/15/sports/patriots2/patriots2-articleInline.jpg

And so ends that silliness.

I guess it is better to be good than to be godly.

mismi

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 09:03 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I guess it is better to be good than to be godly.

Depends on who you are as to whether that statement is true or not.

I am pretty sure that football does not define Tebow. I would even be willing to bet he would agree.

I don't think anyone is surprised really. He was inconsistent. But I love that he puts it all out there.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 10:08 am
""Beelzebub" Brady erases Broncos in first half"

Tebow is as charismatic and generous a sports figure as we have right now but rooting for heroes by their religion is just plain silly.
mismi

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 12:45 pm
@panzade,
Quote:
Tebow is as charismatic and generous a sports figure as we have right now but rooting for heroes by their religion is just plain silly.

I root for people and what they stand for all the time. Many times, even when it isn't something I see eye to eye on. If it is courageous and their conviction of heart - then I think it is well worth hoping they succeed at whatever they put their hand to - especially if it's just football. Not a lot riding on that but ones pride. But it's entertaining all of the hoopla it stirs up.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 01:16 pm
I never predicted any sort of a superbowl win for Denver.....

The point was, that Tebow is badmouthed on a regular basis by sportscasters who should know better and nobody has an explanation for it other than raw bigotry against Christians.

It obviously takes more than a quarterback to win superbowls and there've been several cases of a team acquiring a top QB and then taking another several years to put the rest of the team together for real superbowl competition.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 01:39 pm
@gungasnake,
Those people should 'know better?' They are right to badmouth Tebow! He's not very good!

I can't think you even watched the game, to say such a thing.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 02:16 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:
The point was, that Tebow is badmouthed on a regular basis by sportscasters who should know better and nobody has an explanation for it other than raw bigotry against Christians.

I disagree. Mike & Mike In The Morning are typical of sportscasters who forget that NFL football is all about entertainment. Tebow is entertaining. His religion has nothing to do with sportscasters dismissing his talents.
JTT

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 04:06 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:

Your title,

reminds me of the sign in the Funny Sign thread. [I ain't gonna look for it.]

It goes something like this.

Being religious is as good as having a nice dick but no one wants to see it waved in everyone's face. And don't try to shove it down my kids throat.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 04:21 pm
@panzade,
Timmy is a good human being but is he top QB talent?
Anybody that chooses or rates QBs on their religions or morals, think about how the EAgles have embraced Mike Vick

"Hide yer beagle
Vick's an Eagle"

Mike Vick will probably be back, do we think the same for Tebow?
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 05:04 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Timmy is a good human being but is he top QB talent?

Quote:
All that pregame dissection of Tebow’s throwing motion and Tebow’s beliefs and Tebow’s leadership and Tebow’s deficiencies seemed downright silly, because the vastly superior player, Brady, and the clearly superior team, New England, won in a never-in-doubt romp, 45-10, in which Brady tied an NFL playoff record with six touchdown passes.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/broncos-vs-patriots-tom-brady-ties-playoff-record-as-new-england-shreds-tim-tebow-and-denver/2012/01/14/gIQAZB0nzP_story.html?hpid=z11
panzade

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 11:55 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
And so ended one of the season’s most exciting story lines—one that began when Denver was 1-4 and made Tebow a starter. The one-time third-stringer promptly won six in a row and seven of eight, with a string of stunning comebacks.

“A lot of ups and downs,” Tebow said of his second NFL season. “Overall, it’s been a very special opportunity for me, something I’m really thankful for. There’s a lot of things we’re proud of. Obviously, it’s hard to see them all right now.”

I don't know about y'all, but I had a blast watching his games. The kid's firmly planted. He'll be back next year. Stronger, smarter and hopefully leading an overhauled team.
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 04:32 am
@panzade,

agreed, it's his job to lose next year...
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 06:44 am
@panzade,
Quote:
I don't know about y'all, but I had a blast watching his games.

I had a blast watching his games too, for the same reason I enjoy watching the Jets. I root against him. To me Tebow represents something phony, backwards and even dangerous. Tebow gives a call for Americans to turn off their minds and fall into line. The fact he does ads with "Focus on the Family" really seals the deal. He is actively opposing progress and is a hero for people who want to take America back to the middle ages.

I was really happy to see Brady, who works hard and performs superbly without any gimmicks, kick Tebow's butt twice. It represents the triumph of talent and hard work over superstition and a religious promotion campaign.

I am happy that Tebow is around. A story of heroes working hard and overcoming adversity to achieve ultimate triumph needs some villains along the way.
0 Replies