What TV show(s) is your personal crack?

izzythepush

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 09:49 am
@Ragman,
I've never given the humour a chance to be honest, the laughter was all I could hear. I think whoever was responsible for adding the laughter when the audience have been a bit muted, went way over the top. I never found the laughter on Happy Days a problem, but I did find it annoying that the audience would cheer everytime somebody walked on set.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 10:20 am
@spidergal,
Quote:
How about getting a DVD? I'm out-an-out DVD person -- just don't have the patience to sit through commercials.

Oh if only it were that simple. It wasn't/isn't the commercials during BBT, it was the commercials for the show. They just irritated me beyond words. People have said it's a funny show, a great show; I for one shall likely never know since I don't intend to watch it. Beyond the commercials, I have been accidentally subjected to a few minutes here and there. Honestly, I find watching channel 72, the City Line Drive more exciting.

Most Law and Order...all versions of it, are enjoyable. The exception being the Criminal Intent eps. with Chris Noth. I do not like him.

Chopped...except if Aaron Sanchez is on, then I need to change channels.

I am a long time viewer of (forgive me all) The Biggest Loser. I enjoy watching the people lose the weight. In the early seasons (forgive me again) I would eat ice cream as I watched, sometimes a cheeseburger platter before the ice cream. Nothing like watching people try to lose weight while shoveling food in my mouth.

I like most of the remodeling shows...I hate My kitchen, Curb Appeal, This Old House, I hate my Bath, it's fun watching the changes being done.

Finally stopped watching Top Chef...it struck me as fake and rigged. Much the same as the recent Next Iron Chef competition.

I'm still addicted to Project Runway...although I know almost nothing about fashion.

Just about any competition show will attract me. I watch Face Off for that same reason. An added appeal on these shows is they are relatively brief. A few weeks and it's done with.

I watched two and a half men until this season. I don't like Ashton and I felt the show should have just done a spin off with Alan and Jake moving away or even in with the mother and bringing Berta along. Charlie Sheen was a big part of it, but the show did not have to kill the character....a big downer for a comedy or drag in a replacement.

I gave up on CSI a few seasons back.

I was addicted to House for a while, then they had him get clean and fall in love. Not sure if that lasted, I stopped watching, no interest in it anymore.

I could easily become addicted to The Closer. I love it when I see it, so I make an effort not to watch it every time it's on.

Most crime shows can become addictive for me; fortunately they have changing casts and at some point the characters I stuck around for are gone and replaced by characters I don't care for....take for example Ted Danson in CSI.

No show has ever been as addictive to me as pure old fashioned gin, or even chocolate. A nice dark chocolate. Maybe a chocolate with a fruit filler or a semi-sweet, or with mint or melted and drizzled over pears....

I need a show completely about chocolate....that would probably hold me until I passed out from sugar overload.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 11:59 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

I never found the audience laughs in BBT a problem or even noticed and wondered if it was a laugh track.

I really hope I haven't spoiled it for you. A few years ago I went on a coach trip to the German Christmas markets along the Mosel river. On the way one of our fellow travellers was a woman that kept on saying 'Eh?' really loudly. At first it was annoying, then we decided to have a bit of fun by guessing how many times she'd say it per day. When the couple in front asked what we were doing, they noticed it as well. They'd been oblivious up until then.
Ragman

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 12:16 pm
@izzythepush,
No problem. FWIW, I'm not impervious to other's opinions..but it doesn't change mine. I just don't agree ..or find it intrusive. I'm one of those that notices small details so it's not like I wouldn't tune into it. For me and my style of tv show I love clever humor and this show combines silly and clever.

YMMV (your mileage may vary) .
izzythepush

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 12:23 pm
@Ragman,
Good, last thing I want to be is a killjoy.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 12:37 pm
Right now the only thing that I make sure not to miss is PBS' Masterpiece Theater showing of the BBC's Downton Abbey. Season 2 will end in a couple of weeks :sob: and then the long, dry spell until my favorite character, the Dowager Countess, returns. It'll be worth the wait, though, as Shirley MacLaine is set to join the incredible cast in Season 3!

Can't decide if I want to give The Walking Dead another try. The first season was great, but the second was something of a let down. Might just use that time to catch up on some reading.

djjd62

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 05:32 pm
@Irishk,
is PBS going to show the Downton Abbey Christmas Special?

i miss the daughter that married the irish chauffeur, she was a cutie

the writer of DA is putting together a Titanic mini series for this years 100th anniversary that sounds quite promising
Irishk

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 07:05 pm
@djjd62,
Lady Sybil!! She's the family's black sheep lol...she has her grandmother's spunk. My cable guide doesn't go beyond 2 weeks, but I think they'll probably air the special after the series finale. I'm lining up some books from that era to fill in the void until Season 3 starts.

Will be sure to keep an eye out for the Titanic series! Thanks.

(Wonder how it'll end? lol)
djjd62

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 08:47 pm
@Irishk,
have you ever read any books by PG Wodehouse, or seen Jeeves & Wooster on PBS

the Wodehouse books are an over the top look at the aristocracy, set in a non specific time frame between the wars, some funny stuff
Irishk

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2012 11:32 pm
@djjd62,
Thanks, dj...got some from my library and loaded up my ereader with some that went into public domain (as of 2007) here in the U.S.

http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/w#a783
Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2012 06:55 pm
All the Law & Order shows....but especially SVU. I can get the entire run of SVU on Hulu+. The earlier ones have no commercials.

Last season, I discovered Dexter, and yet another obsession was born. I rented the earlier seasons on DVD, and am now up to speed. I can't wait for the next season.
0 Replies

TylerCWN

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2012 11:11 am
No one. I am free =)
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2012 11:38 am
@Irishk,
Fry and Lawrie did a brilliant series on Jeeves and Wooster.
Irishk

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2012 01:43 pm
@izzythepush,
Youtube has a bunch of full episodes, even whole seasons. Right now I'm listening to one of Wodehouse's audiobooks...

Typical. Just when Bertie thinks that God’s in his heaven and all’s right with the world, things start to go wrong again...

Laughing
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2012 04:35 pm
Not addicted but I watch a lot of Law and Order (original) reruns and a lot of Chopped. I'm definitely addicted to Downton Abbey and will miss it a lot now that the season has ended. I'll be hooked on Treme again when it starts up in the fall.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2012 12:35 pm
After being off the air for about a year and a half, one of my favorites, "Mad Men", will begin a new season on March 25th. I can't wait!!! Very Happy
Sturgis

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2012 12:37 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Thank you for the heads up. I'd wondered where it had gone.
Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 06:27 am
@Sturgis,
As I understand it, there was a contractual problem, so the series had to take a hiatus.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 07:30 am
been watching Foyle's War quite a bit lately
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foyle's_War
NettieJMc

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 10:53 pm
@tsarstepan,
Lost really made my hours and days seemed lost. ;>
Heroes and Fringe are also good picks.
I prefer CSI Miami for crime shows.
If you're into teens, Vampire Diaries, True Blood, Supernatural and Pretty Little Liars ;>
0 Replies