Reverend Phelps and his anti-gay monument

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 11:53 pm
Have any of you heard about this news story that's been brewing in the Pacific Northwest lately:

Click Here

It appears that this Reverend Phelps is going across the country looking for cities and towns that have the 10 commandments monuments on city property and using it as a legal excuse to put up his anti-gay monument.

This monument depicts the gay kid that was tied to a fence and burned alive in a hate crime a few years ago. The monument says something about how the kid is burning in hell now.

This reverend is crazy and I think he's counter productive because the only way that cities can legally not allow his monument is if they remove the ten commandments from city property.

What do you think about all of this? Personally I don't think either types of monuments should be on city property.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 9,462 • Replies: 126
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 11:59 pm
Well, his "monument" seems like a hate crime on its own, to me. I agree with you about the ten commandments on city property as well.

Welcome to a2k, roverroad.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 06:01 am
I agree with Osso. Atleast where I live, there are laws against hate crimes and that wouldn't fly for a second.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 06:11 am
The alleged Jesus was alleged to have said "By their fruit you shall know them." This Phelps produces hate, and hateful people disgust me. By the way, the same collection of fairy tales which provided the remark above also tells us that this same "Jesus" once blasted a fig tree which had no fruit for him, even after his followers pointed out that figs were not in season. Hmmm . . . .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 06:14 am
Oh ye of little faith - -
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 06:15 am
He represents the absolute worst of right wing christian conservatism. I remember his group protesting at the funeral of that kid. I don't know how he got away with it in a nation with so many guns. I know for a fact that anyone trying that here, would be carried away on a stretcher.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 06:15 am
Little hell . . . none . . .
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 07:39 am
Another way to look at this is to consider that the god who wrote those 10 Commandments also wrote:

Quote:
"If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." Leviticus 20:13
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 07:43 am
Quote:
"If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." Leviticus 20:13

Is it okay if we can do it standing up or sitting down then ? Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 07:53 am
Gautam wrote:
Quote:

Is it okay if we can do it standing up or sitting down then ? Twisted Evil

The incredible thing is that there are people who think a GOD actually would say such a thing, Gautam.

That was a funny comment!

Reminds me of the guy who swears to his wife that he has never slept with another woman!!!!
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 11:46 am
They already tried to erect ( Wink ) one in Casper, WY, Matthew Shepard's hometown, and were run out of town on a rail thank the gods!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 01:14 pm
what a terrible thing to do to that poor boy's family. This whole thing makes me ill.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 01:41 pm
Once you open the door, you have to be prepared for whatever walks through. Smart of the Boise council members to right their wrong and vote this down. I agree the easiest way to avoid this is to not to have any monuments.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 02:01 pm
God bless you, Fred Phelps!

Clearly, Phelps is one of the most loathesome, despicable execreta ever discharged from the primordial ooze, but here he is most surely doing a beneficial service on behalf of the common weal. By demonstrating the absurdity, as well as the baleful consequences, of these decalogical totems, he may be the most effective force we have in getting them removed from the civic arena. I wish him all the success in the world in his latest venture.

And then I wish he would burn in hell for all eternity.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 02:10 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
God bless you, Fred Phelps!

Clearly, Phelps is one of the most loathesome, despicable execreta ever discharged from the primordial ooze, but here he is most surely doing a beneficial service on behalf of the common weal. By demonstrating the absurdity, as well as the baleful consequences, of these decalogical totems, he may be the most effective force we have in getting them removed from the civic arena. I wish him all the success in the world in his latest venture.

And then I wish he would burn in hell for all eternity.

You really gotta stop holding back, Joe. Learn how to speak your mind.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 02:14 pm
What do you have against the residents of Hell, Joe, that you would wish that on them?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 03:21 pm
Setanta: Of hell's existence I am a skeptic, so I don't think my damnation of Fred Phelps will disturb any other tormented souls. Instead, I'd like to think that Phelps would be the only inhabitant in his own infernal realm, or at least the sole tenant in one of the lower circles thereof.

In the words of Lionel Ritchie: "I had a dream, I had an awesome dream!"
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 03:25 pm
I'm on the same page with ya, Boss. The only time i regret my conviction that there is no heaven, nor any hell, is when such a splendid candidate appears . . .
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 06:47 pm
Listen, Dante could find a niche for Rev. Phelps...
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2004 06:48 pm
So could Larry Niven. Wink
0 Replies