Bad News for the A2K Anti-Spanking Lobby

boomerang

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 04:04 pm
@BillRM,
They wrote a paper and they were asked to present it at a conference and this somehow makes them corrupt?

So I guessed he faked all the recordings that were presented to him so that he could write a false report?
Setanta

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 04:05 pm
@boomerang,
Of course not . . . he did in the hope of making Bill look bad . . . sheesh . . .
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 04:07 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I'm not answering for Bill or anyone but myself but this equating "spanking" to beating, abuse or torture is simply ridiculous.

My mother used to hit us with a wooden spoon but she held back so much the "raps" weren't even painful. Yet we knew she was mad and had pushed her too far. We didn't want to push her to the point where she might really let loose with the spoon, so we stopped the unruly behavior that angered her. This was of course after she peacefully told us to knock it off.

My father would occasionally spank us in the form of a mild cuff on the back of the head. It didn't hurt so much as it shocked, and it did the trick. We stopped whatever it was we were doing...after we ignored the verbal commands.

My parents were "enlightened liberals" in the sense of what that meant 50 years ago: Stevenson and Kennedy liberals.

My father made a point of talking to us like adults and encouraged us to disagree with him when we talked about the news or history at the dinner table.

More times than not he ignored comments like "That's stupid Dad," or "You're completely wrong!" Every once in a while though he didn't ignore them, and would lash out with a punch to the arm that would knock me off my chair. It was always me taking the blow because a) I had the smartest mouth, and b) My older brother got the seat at the table that was out of Dad's reach.

It was never predictable, it just happened. He was a drinker, but I could never detect a connection. Unlike my mother, my father was actually a nicer guy when he drank.

It would hurt like he'll and I would cry and bruise, but it was so infrequent and random that I can't say I ever felt like my father was a beater.

For what ever mad reason he exploded, he certainly wasn't spanking me or trying to correct my behavior. It was a brutal, angry reaction that obviously was wrong.

So, I know the difference between a spanking and a beating (even if it was a one punch beating).

I hit my daughter one time in her life and it was an involuntary reaction. She was 15 and I was trying to referee a fight between her and her mother when suddenly she shouted "I hate this ******* family!" Next thing I knew I had slapped her in the face. I can't say it was a spanking, but it wasn't really a beating either. It stung, I'm sure but I had, without, thinking pulled back and it wasn't even half a swing. He cheek got a little rosy, but no finger marks or bruising of any kind. She was astonished because it was the first time I had ever spanked or hit her. It made a big impression, and she later apologized profusely. She also never said anything like that again (at least not in front of me).

I don't know what to call that action, because it wasn't premeditated. It just happened, but I didn't feel guilty about it and it certainly didn't scar my daughter physically or mentally.

The boys would get mild cuffs to the back of their head or the occasional Vulcan Death Grip, whenever ( like me and my brother) they didn't listen to me or their mother. It always worked and again, neither of them are the worse for it.

That, in my mind, is "spanking" and not beating or abuse. I can't say that I wasn't angry most of the time I spanked them, but I obviously wasn't allowing my anger to overrule my reason as had the case with my father.

I feel a lot more guilty about some of the tongue lashings I gave my oldest son (who could test the patience of a saint, and was defiance personified) than I do about the cuffing and grips. In fact I don't feel any guilt about them.

If there are parents out there who never spank or yell at their kids and have wonderfully behaved little men and women, then God bless them: They are either saints or their kids are Stepford children.

I sure as hell wasn't the perfect father, but when I see my adult children today, I know my wife and I did something right..

BillRM

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 04:15 pm
@ehBeth,
LOL You guys were nice enough to do the work for me concerning the anti-spanking lobby and who are behind it and all you had to do is to go the the following link http://smu.edu/psychology/html/globalSummit.html and look at their supporters list.

Two names are not given strangely so we had hidden supporters and I love that fact.

Thank once more for giving me the information on a sliver platter how nice of you guys.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 04:24 pm
@boomerang,
You call that a conference where unbiased research papers would/could be read or allow that did not support the name of the summit 100 percents!!!!

Where any real researcher would go near or support in any way?

Let see an analogy would be dog behaviors researchers doing research into pit bulls would go to a summit name All Pits Bulls must be kill at once,

Another one would be researchers into lung diseases going to a summit title smoking is not all that bad for your health.

boomerang

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 04:28 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Our parents never hit us.

I have a brother who is a Lt. General of the Army, a sister who is an investment banker (a partner in her firm), a sister who is a social worker and noted ceramicist, and then there's me and I've done okay for myself too.
BillRM

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 04:30 pm
@boomerang,
That you was not hit is fine however that does not mean that this tool should be ban for all parents under all conditions by the force of the state.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 04:35 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Our parents never hit us.

I have a brother who is a Lt. General of the Army, a sister who is an investment banker (a partner in her firm), a sister who is a social worker and noted ceramicist, and then there's me and I've done okay for myself too.

Happy for you boomerang.

I've certainly never suggested parents had to spank to get the job done.

I own my own company and am doing quite well, and my brother is a college professor with a Phd and we got hit. My sister never got hit and she is a very sweet drug addict.

Not sure you and I have proven anything.

boomerang

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 04:36 pm
@BillRM,
Why would a conference invite researchers that oppose their purpose?

People who preform scientific studies and write well regarded papers on their findings are often invited to speak at conferences.

What is it about that that you don't understand? Why do you think that makes the scientist corrupt?
BillRM

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 04:38 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
So I guessed he faked all the recordings that were presented to him so that he could write a false report?

In the history of science examples of people sitting up research conditions to get the results they wish for is not sadly uncommon and most real scientists fight against the possibility of having their biases effect the results of their research on a subconscious level.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 04:39 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I think that may have been Boomer's whole point.... Anecdotes prove nothing.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 04:42 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I'm not answering for Bill or anyone but myself but this equating "spanking" to beating, abuse or torture is simply ridiculous.

100% correct here.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 04:44 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
Why would a conference invite researchers that oppose their purpose?

You got to be kidding me researchers are suppose to find out the truth no matter if that truth is not something they are happy about or not!

A scientific conference is not a political meetings and all repeat all views on a subject should be welcome and any research look at.

It not suppose to had a purpose other then finding the truth.

Real researchers for fear of losing their standing as being unbiased would not go near such a summit as your so call researcher went to and supported.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 04:44 pm
@DrewDad,
Quite right. That was my point.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 04:48 pm
@boomerang,
This is the subject of "social scientists."

Their adherence to the scientific method is a joke.

There are few disciplines more subject to bias.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 04:49 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

I think that may have been Boomer's whole point.... Anecdotes prove nothing.

They do disprove the absolutist case that all instances of an event are negative or damaging.

For every kid who is harmed or injured by their parents spanking them, there are just as many cases of people like Finn and myself who look back on it and not only forgive, but applaud, the fact that our parents did so when necessary.

Cycloptichorn
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 04:50 pm
@DrewDad,
I doubt it.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 04:54 pm
@boomerang,
Then not made particularly clear.

I didn't offer the experience of my brother, sister and I as anecdotal evidence of anything.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 05:07 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Can you point out anyone who's been absolutist on this thread?

Otherwise, ya'll are arguing with yourselves.

I'm probably the closest you'll come to an absolutist, and my argument isn't that "all instances of [spanking] are negative or damaging." I merely argue that spanking is a sub-optimal discipline technique.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 05:15 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
Can you point out anyone who's been absolutist on this thread?
All those who substitute the word "beating" for the word "spanking" qualify.