Bad News for the A2K Anti-Spanking Lobby

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 01:04 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
“We know that the majority of physical child abuses cases actually begin with a disciplinary encounter that then gets out of control,” he said. “So for that reason alone, it’s not a good idea to use corporal punishment

AH yes, the old "gateway drug" argument.....and look where our drug policy has gotten us.

Maybe we should seek a second opinion.
BillRM

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 01:08 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
I looked up the latest research on spanking.

Interesting giving no link to the basic research and seems to be stating that because some parents are bad parents and misused spanking it is a bad thing for any parent to used it at any time under any conditions.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 01:17 pm
@BillRM,
Did you follow the links in the posting?
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 01:19 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Interesting giving no link to the basic research and seems to be stating that because some parents are bad parents and misused spanking it is a bad thing for any parent to used it at any time under any conditions.
It is an offensive argument, as it implies that we can not control ourselves.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 01:57 pm
@ehBeth,
The link to basic research was not there that I could see however a link that gave proof that this is not the research results of honest research scientists was given.

A large link to Gobal Summit on ending corporal punishment and promoting positive discipline that they are part of!!!!!!

These assholes are not doing honest basic research and reporting same on raising children they are promoting their own agenda. More likely pocketing a large sum of $$$$$ at the same time.

I should do a fast check on what the fees are to go to this 'gobal summit.
BillRM

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 02:14 pm
@ehBeth,
Here is those research scientists summit positions there nothing like being honest unbiased searchers for truth to give people faith that you did not pound the facts of your researchs to fit your conclusions.

Global Summit Proclamation

“I believe that corporal punishment should be abolished. Period. End of story,” declared 11 year-old Dawn Ford, of Dallas, Texas at the first Global Summit On Ending Corporal Punishment and Promoting Positive Discipline. We--academics, professionals, advocates, and youth from 24 nations--strongly agree.

From birth, children have the right to the same respect accorded to all persons. They deserve—and need—to live in a peaceful, loving, and secure environment.

Corporal punishment in all its forms, including what is called “spanking, smacking, paddling, etc.” has no place in our schools or homes.

We urge all parents, caregivers, educators, communities, and nations to end all forms of corporal punishment of children and embrace the safe, just, and effective alternative: positive discipline.

Adopted unanimously by proclamation at the end of the first Global Summit on Ending Corporal Punishment and Promoting Positive Discipline, Dallas, TX, June 4, 2011
BillRM

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 02:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeye can you envision so call researchers back by grants and funding from major universities and two anonymous donators setting up such a summit pushing for the end of corporal punishment in the title of the summit and thinking for one second that their research results would there after have any credit as being unbiased real research on children rearing.

The whole thing is crazy on the face of it.

I guess the question now is to follow the money even if two sources of the money are hidden and why would that be!!!!!!

Hidden money sources ………………………
Ceili

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 02:38 pm
I'll ask again... Do those of you who believe and justify hitting children feel the same way about hitting a woman who just doesn't listen? Do you feel a man deserves the belt if he steps out of line?
Where is that line?
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 02:42 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

I'll ask again... Do those of you who believe and justify hitting children feel the same way about hitting a woman who just doesn't listen? Do you feel a man deserves the belt if he steps out of line?
Where is that line?

No.... children are unformed, and as a parent it is my duty to work to form them into healthy and happy adults. What is a transgression when done against adults is not a transgression when done against our kids for their benefit. Spanking is done for them, not for us.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 02:47 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeye some people on this thread seems not to care at all for what I came across and are voting down my posting on the subject like mad. LOL

Oh if anyone would like to see these unbiased , impartial , unprejudiced , balance researchers into child rearing summit website themselves here is the link.

http://smu.edu/psychology/html/globalSummit.html
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 02:50 pm
@Ceili,
Quote:
Do those of you who believe and justify hitting children feel the same way about hitting a woman who just doesn't listen

Most of us do not think that locking a woman in the house overnight and not allowing her out is proper but is proper for a five years old.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 02:51 pm
@BillRM,
got any research to counter their research results?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 02:52 pm
@BillRM,
so where's your counter research?
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 02:56 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
To succeed in life, you have to start at the bottom. Marjorie Gunnoe means that literally.

She's a psychology professor at Calvin College, a Christian liberal arts school in Grand Rapids, Mich., who says spanking children is not a bad thing. In fact, she says, kids who get the occasional smack on the rump before the age of 6 grow up to be more successful adults.

Gunnoe interviewed 2,600 people about spanking before presenting her conclusions to the Society for Research in Child Development (SRCD). She claims children who got spanked as toddlers and preschoolers also are more likely to do volunteer work and attend college after high school.

"The claims that are made for not spanking children fail to hold up," she tells the London Daily Mail. "I think of spanking as a dangerous tool, but then there are times when there is a job big enough for a dangerous tool. You don't use it for all your jobs."

Gunnoe studied spanking for more than 10 years

http://www.parentdish.com/2010/01/05/researcher-says-a-little-spanking-is-good-for-kids/
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 03:08 pm
@ehBeth,
First ehbeth you are one of those wishing to interfere with parents raising their own children using the power of the government so such people as you have a duty to show/prove that such interfere is needed and call for.

Not the people that are happy with the status quo as we had no such duty.

So show us some research that even look like something other then junk science created by biased researchers.

Hell just researchers that are not shouting their biased would be nice.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 03:12 pm
@BillRM,
U know, Bill, I gotta say:

in my personal experience, my father was innocent
of any abuse. He just went his way, attending to
his own businesses, which took most of his time
and he never interfered with me, nor had he any
interest in doing so, but if he HAD lost his mind
and become violent with me, I 'd have deemed
it my MORAL duty to avenge myself upon him,
at least to the extent of his offense upon me.

As I write this, I remember a semi-exception
to his innocence of abuse. He 1ce uttered
a remark that I found obliquely insulting.
Tho taken aback at his rudeness, I did nothing.

Within the next several months an opportunity
arose in which circumstances found him in a
similar situation to mine and I did the same thing
to him that he did to me, only worse.
(Verbally), I stomped on him: showed him how it feels.

Morally, the kids who became victims of parental bullying
or of parental violence, shoud have avenged themselves.

I remember 1 fellow, in his 5Os, who lamented the
parental mistreatment of his sister n himself.
He said that thay had been daily tortured for years
on end (apparently the result of mental illness).

On the other hand, candor compels me to admit
that it can be possible for someone, including a kid,
to do things that naturally give rise to violent reactions.

Accordingly Bill, it can be conceivable that it is morally
proper for someone to beat the hell out of his father,
or in your case: his grandfather.

We hope that no one will be violent with anyone.
Give peace a chance.

David
ehBeth

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 03:17 pm
@BillRM,
No research to offer?

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 03:18 pm
@ehBeth,
Bill, you've still got this to respond to.

ehBeth wrote:

BillRM wrote:
I took note the anti spanking lobby wish to classify severe beatings

so where are you finding this classification scheme?

and who exactly is the anti-spanking lobby lobbying? who funds the anti-spanking lobby?

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 03:21 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Bill, you've still got this to respond to.
He probably thought that my visiting the definition of the word "lobby" is all that is required to justify ignoring your query.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 03:24 pm
@hawkeye10,
ignore.

excellent.

you were not being addressed.
0 Replies