Bad News for the A2K Anti-Spanking Lobby

Setanta

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 07:32 am
@BillRM,
I wish you'd learn the English language, you ****-wit.

Precisely what evidence can you produce that not hitting a child for running into the street will lead them to a career of crime?
BillRM

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 07:33 am
@boomerang,
Quote:
Because every child who ever ran into the street has become a criminal.

Kids raised by your methods are far more likely to end up having the universe and or the society causing the harm later on in the child/person life.

That is assuming the child get to grow out of early childhood.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 07:37 am
@BillRM,
Don't be an idiot.

Of course I've taught my child to not run out into the road. He has, in fact, never ever been hit by a car or even come close to being hit by a car. I have never had to hit him to make this happen.

Of course I correct my child. I don't have much need to control him as he does a pretty good job of that himself.

You're just being silly.
BillRM

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 07:43 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
hitting a child for running into the street will lead them to a career of crime?

You are being your simple minded self I see.......................

Not controlling a child in terms he is evolute to understand is going to result in all manner of harm that go far beyond running into the street.

Now do you wish for studies that compare children never hit to those who parents follow a million plus years of evolution and used pain as a teaching method?
Setanta

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 07:46 am
@BillRM,
Anything resembling plausible evidence would be a refreshing change from you. You haven't established that "a million plus years of evolution" in fact calls for hitting children. You haven't made any connection between the absence of physical assault of children and subsequent criminal behavior. Jesus ******* Christ, you quote Robert Heinlein, one of the biggest idiots in the science fiction genre, as though he offered wisdom. That was a work of fiction, Bill, were you aware of that?
BillRM

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 07:49 am
@boomerang,
Quote:
Of course I correct my child. I don't have much need to control him as he does a pretty good job of that himself.

You're just being silly.

No you had been lucky that slower and less forceful methods had work in time for you child not to be hit by a car.

Young children do not had the means or judgment to control their behaviors themselves and need to be guided to that state over their whole childhood and at the same time kept from killing themselves.

BillRM

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 07:53 am
@Setanta,
Strange I had not seem any studies you had posted on the subject did I missed them?

An of course the latest fad in child rearing is far better then the method used on all children for most of the history of mankind.
boomerang

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 07:53 am
@BillRM,

Quote:
Young children do not had the means or judgment to control their behaviors themselves and need to be guided

And I'll ask again -- how in the world does hitting a kid lead to them having good judgement?

I completely agree that children need guidance. What does hitting them have to do with that?

And no, I haven't just "been lucky" that my child has never been hit by a car. We worked on this stuff. We practiced crossing streets. We discussed the dangers of small bodies meeting big objects.
boomerang

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 07:54 am
@BillRM,
My parents never hit me. Ever.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 07:57 am
@BillRM,
Once again, you haven't established that corporal punishment is a method used on all children for most of the history of mankind. You're making a claim, but you provide zero evidence for your claim. What studies do i have to post? You're the one making the claims, you're the one with a burden of proof. So far, zero proof.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 08:10 am
Along with Somalia, the United States is one of only two countries in the world which have not ratified the Convention on the Rights of the Child ...
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 08:14 am
@boomerang,
Quote:
pain is the basic mechanism built into us
by millions of years of evolution which safeguards us by warning when something threatens our survival
boomerang wrote:
In the topic at hand the threat to survival would then be the parent since they are the one inflicting the pain.

I think obedience is highly overrated. Making the right decision because you're forced to do is is not at all the same
as making the right decision because it's the right decision.

Obedience does not equal respect.
VERY WELL SAID!!! KUDOS!

David
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 08:20 am
@boomerang,
ah nevermind.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 08:20 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
It teaches them that you're a dangerous lunatic who should be given a wide berth. Adults, of couse, can tell that by the fact that this idiot relies on Robert Heinlein as a source of wisdom. Children probably take the more direct approach--you know, "This guy is hitting me, he must be an asshole."
I seldom agree with Setanta, but this time, he is right!
Superbly well said, except for the crack about Heinlein.

David
BillRM

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 08:27 am
@boomerang,
Footnote we are talking about the benefit or at least I am of mild spanking not beatings.

I took note the anti spanking lobby wish to classify severe beatings with mild physical punishments employed mainly when the likelihood of great harm coming to a child if a behavior is not stop in a very short time period.

Of course that is the basic dishonest of the anti-spanking lobby.
BillRM

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 08:28 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Along with Somalia, the United States is one of only two countries in the world which have not ratified the Convention on the Rights of the Child

Good for us.............
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 08:28 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
except for the crack about Heinlein

LOL..........
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 08:30 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
I took note the anti spanking lobby wish to classify severe beatings

so where are you finding this classification scheme?

and who exactly is the anti-spanking lobby lobbying? who funds the anti-spanking lobby?
boomerang

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 08:36 am
@BillRM,
If my husband hit me just a little bit as some kind of warning I'd be flipping pissed.

Hitting is hitting, some of it is terrible but all of it is bad. It is not okay to hit people to teach them a lesson.
BillRM

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 08:45 am
@ehBeth,
Let see looking at a great numbers of studies by googling I found that most studies throw in all corporate punishment of children into one heap and the few I found that did not do so show either no harm or benefits to spanking not beating at least that what their summaries stated as the papers was not freely available on the internet.

Will keep looking..............or go to the UM library to dig out the studies in the near future.