Bad News for the A2K Anti-Spanking Lobby

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 03:39 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
The purpose of discipline isn't to injure your child, it's to modify the child's behavior
and if corporal punishment is used effectively a certain amount of pain must be applied. If you are going to demand that no damage is done you will in effect be outlawing corporal punishment through that back door and without applying honesty because you make it impossible to apply the required amount of pain...not that this would be unusual for our morally bankrupt state, as the USA is currently applying the same immoral project to smoking, where cigs are technically legal but the state is moving consistently towards making sure that they can never legally be lit.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 03:41 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Quote:
I don't think that reasonable people have trouble reading the law and interpreting it.
the two people here... who are questioning the child abuse laws, may not be reasonable people.

I'm glad that my inference was not lost.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 03:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
As always, you are not discussing specific state child abuse laws--the actual laws are not really vague. You cannot deliberately inflict injury on your child.
Quote:
Purposefully writing law to be vague is an abuse of the citizen at the hands of the state.

As an alleged child advocate, the abuse you should be concerned with is the abuse of the child.

Try following this as a general rule of thumb, Hawkeye--if you have to worry about whether you are violating child abuse laws with your methods of disciplining your children, you probably are violating them.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 03:44 pm
@hawkeye10,
Are you really sure that you want to choose this particular issue to be a pillar on your crusade for personal liberty?

"I'm afraid of hitting my kids because I can't be sure if I've crossed the line of what the law says I can do...."

Personally, I don't see that as much of an infringement on your freedoms.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 03:45 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Try following this as a general rule of thumb, Hawkeye--if you have to worry about whether you are violating child abuse laws with your methods of disciplining your children, you probably are violating them
The state is depending upon that of course...keeping me guessing and then using massive punishment when it decides that I have chosen wrongly, as a organized effort to get me to always error on the side of not doing what the state does not what me to do. It is a abusive manipulative technique, and the American people should be ashamed to be represented by a government that is so morally bankrupt that it is willing to use it to keep the citizens in line. We throw men in jail for pulling this bull **** on women under our domestic abuse laws , but the government feels free to us it against all of us.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 03:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
and if corporal punishment is used effectively a certain amount of pain must be applied. If you are going to demand that no damage is done you will in effect be outlawing corporal punishment through that back door and without applying honesty because you make it impossible to apply the required amount of pain

Coming from a person, such as yourself, who has openly acknowledged he gets sexual excitation from pain and sadism, I am starting to find your comments downright sickening--particularly because we are talking about children.

Most normal people don't want to injure or damage their children.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 03:51 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Most normal people don't want to injure or damage their children.
Most normal people think that a red mark after a spanking is normal expected damage...some however consider evidence of abuse. If we had a just and moral government the law would tell us which view is correct, but alas we do not.

People of course dont want to damage their kids behind when we swat them, we are trying to teach our kids, the damage happens as a matter of course. You know this of course, but as you have proven over and over again you find it highly challenging to maintain honesty.
BillRM

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 03:57 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
The purpose of discipline isn't to injure your child, it's to modify the child's behavior.

Nothing to do with being sadism as the means to change behaviors is pain the desire goal is to change behaviors not to cause pain for it own sake.

Quote:
And you've yet to come up with research that demonstrates the positive benefits of corporal punishment,

An once more it is you who wish to interfere with parents raising their own children so it is your task to prove such interfere is needed not mine to prove that the parents know what they are doing.

spendius

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 04:03 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
A statute that fails to give such a person fair notice that the particular conduct is forbidden is indefinite and therefore void.

But "fair notice" is vague. In the case of the minimum depth of tread on a car tyre fair notice meant that the Transport Ministry had put out a series of ads on TV.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 04:05 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
An once more it is you who wish to interfere with parents raising their own children so it is your task to prove such interfere is needed not mine to prove that the parents know what they are doing
As you know damn well Bill Firefly's position is that the state has the right to run over the citizens when ever it wants, for what ever flimsy reason it decides to give. We the citizens are entitled to no rights to be free from government interference or abuse.
firefly

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 04:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Most normal people think that a red mark after a spanking is normal expected damage...some however consider evidence of abuse. If we had a just and moral government the law would tell us which view is correct, but alas we do not.

If I smack you in the head with a hammer, your profuse bleeding is "normal expected damage" too.

You are missing the point--methods of disipline are not supposed to inflict damage on the child.

And I've already told you that a visible red mark, that remains on the skin, and is visible to others, would be considered abuse in my state.

And the child abuse laws are specific to each state. The state I live in would not allow a child to be paddled in school, something that is legal in Florida.

Your alleged concern for the well being and welfare of children is touching.

And, I repeat...

Coming from a person, such as yourself, who has openly acknowledged he gets sexual excitation from pain and sadism, I am starting to find your comments downright sickening--particularly because we are talking about children
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 04:07 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
You are missing the point--methods of disipline are not supposed to inflict damage on the child.

says who? Is it in the Bible? The Constitution? From what authority does your assertion flow?
spendius

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 04:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
As you know damn well Bill Firefly's position is that the state has the right to run over the citizens when ever it wants, for what ever flimsy reason it decides to give. We the citizens are entitled to no rights to be free from government interference or abuse.

That's my position too. As long as we have free elections at reasonable intervals. WE are the state. We are only entitled to the rights we collectively decide to grant ourselves.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 04:13 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
That's my position too. As long as we have free elections at reasonable intervals. WE are the state. We are only entitled to the rights we collectively decide to grant ourselves.
Have a grand time ever trying to get your freedom back from the state after you have given it up...your view is that of the chump, the one one who is totally ignorant of human nature as well as history.
firefly

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 04:13 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
says who?

The state you live in.

You posted a quote from a CPS spokesperson in Texas who said you can use force, but you cannot inflict injury on your child. Read your own posts.

That you are demanding your right to inflict damage and injury on your children is just plain sick.

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 04:18 pm
@firefly,
Quote:

You posted a quote from a CPS spokesperson in Texas who said you can use force, but you cannot inflict injury on your child. Read your own posts
The state of Texas says that no deadly force can be used, it does not say that no damage can be done. I gave the definition of deadly force remember? If you are going to claim that no damage can be done by law then find a law and definitions for the words used that support your assertion.

Fact is you will not find this documentation, because the law is written to criminalize some non defined excessive level of damage, not all damage.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 04:53 pm
@hawkeye10,
Deadly force again? Sheesh.

Texas Attorney General page on child abuse

Quote:
Child abuse may take the form of physical or emotional injury, sexual abuse, sexual exploitation, physical neglect, medical neglect, or inadequate supervision.

The law specifically excludes “reasonable” discipline by the child’s parent, guardian, or conservator; corporal punishment is not in itself abusive under the law.

Physical abuse typically occurs when a frustrated parent or caregiver strikes, shakes, or throws a child because of anger. Other forms of deliberate assault that may be physically abusive include burning, scalding,biting, kicking, cutting, poking, twisting a child’s limbs, deliberately withholding food, binding, gagging, choking, or hitting the child with a closed fist or other instrument. Any form of corporal punishment may be abusive if it results in injury.

The indicators described below may be helpful in identifying possible child abuse victims. However, suspicious-looking injuries can occur accidentally, as the result of an unusual medical condition or birthmark, or even sometimes as the result of a non-abusive folk remedy for a medical condition. The investigation of child abuse should be performed by specially trained professionals. The indicators below can be used advisedly by persons who have frequent contact with children to identify possible victims.

Physical injuries resulting from child abuse can run the gamut from bruises, burns, and lacerations, to head injuries, broken bones, broken teeth, and damage to internal organs. Symptoms may include pain, swelling, internal or external bleeding, impaired mobility, delayed development, malnutrition, convulsions, coma, or even death. Any of these injuries or symptoms can occur because of accidents or medical conditions. Context, circumstances, and the exact nature of the wounds usually set apart the injuries resulting from abuse. Specially trained professionals must make the determination whether a child has actually been abused or not.

And a whole list of criteria....

Vague my ass.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 05:36 pm
@hawkeye10,
The collective is against you.

Again.
spendius

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 06:01 pm
@ehBeth,
How can the collective be against him when--

Quote:
corporal punishment is not in itself abusive under the law.
?

It is me who is arguing for CP to be illegal. Are you scared of voting on that? I invited you to.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 06:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
hawkeye10 wrote:
says who? Is it in the Bible? The Constitution? From what authority does your assertion flow?
In my opinion, the ordinary law of torts: assault or battery; maybe both,
shoud apply, according to the circumstances, for civil redress
and criminal assault concerning criminal redress,
the same as if the parent raped the kid or tried to murder,
like Andrea Yates.

David

0 Replies