Just got cornered into a Rainsoft EC4 Water Softener system, did I make a mistake?

xcel

Sat 4 May, 2013 03:45 pm
So the salesperson just went through their 3 hour sales pitch, and for whatever reason we decided to get an EC4 Water Softener. It was actually pitched to us a water filtration system that uses salt for positively charging ions or some crap but I'm pretty certain it's a softener that uses salt. It came at the super awesome price of only $6000. They wanted to sell us the RO and Air system for 9800, but I said no freakin way we don't need that. We live in Delaware which is notorious for having crappy water linked to high cancer rates. I didn't need their sales pitch to tell me that. I've lived here long enough to see it myself. So we're concerned. We don't use well water but all the local water comapnies use their own deep wells to supply us so it's the same really, just highly chlorinated. We have hard water, it came with a rating of 6 according to the paper. Iron at .05 ppm and chlorine tested at 2.0. I don't know what any of this means. After doing some reading I'm sure we have overpaid. But do we really need this system? They are coming to install it tomorrow, and I just need to feel good about spending 6k we don't really have. Thanks for everyones time!

jespah

Sat 4 May, 2013 04:51 pm
@xcel,
If you're unhappy now, I bet you'll be unhappy later.

I suspect you can drink/cook with bottled water if you want to, or boil it. And contact your city or town and ask to see a report from the water company. Complain to your town board, too, make a stink of it if you feel you can, tell the crusading reporter in the town (I forget who that is in Delaware - it's been over 25 years since I lived there).

Perfect solution? Nope. But it's probably a more empowered one.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Wed 8 May, 2013 02:10 pm
get out of the deal now! don't let them install it!
0 Replies

badboca

Thu 9 May, 2013 02:10 am
@xcel,
I work for Rainsoft down here in Florida. You paid exactly what that system retails for. You didn't overpay and you didn't underpay. One thing you can count on is the system you bought will work and fix the water issue you have right now. The guy below me is telling you talk to the city/county/townboard we all know they don't do anything about it..its up to the indiviudal homeowner to take initiative to fix their water. All the government cares about is the fact that you have running water that isn't going to kill you. The guy below him is IN the business to sell you his systems or refer you to someone who will get a kickback. I have a EC4/Qrs <-- the Qrs is a whole house Carbon System which i personally feel it is needed. But we do have more chlorine in our tap water than swimming pools down here. So in a nutshell i've worked for Rainsoft since 1997 and i haven't heard of anyone saying the equipment is crap. The majority of the complaints come from faulty dealerships with bad follow through and management. Keep it use it love enjoy it and keep it forever. It's a "MANUFACTURER'S LIFETIME WARRANTY" they will repair it replace it as long as you own the unit. Please bring it with you to every house you plan on moving to from now on until your life is over. Once that happens transfer the warranty to your children as the warranties are transferable. Don't be persuaded by cheap systems that claim they can do it cheaper and better. It's jut not true. Those are not only my 2 cents but my whole 1.00 Smile Enjoy your Rainsoft and welcome to the family. We have 1.5 million customer. They can't all be wrong Smile BTW on a side note i'm not making anything off this i work for the dealer in florida. Just wanted you to know. I just get very upset when i see the wrong opinions flying around.

Joshua
tonewheel

Thu 9 May, 2013 09:24 am
@badboca,
I completely agree with your comments.

The EC4 will make a world of difference with the water throughout his home. Enjoy the system, and the great water it will provide.
H2O MAN

Fri 10 May, 2013 04:43 pm
@badboca,
badboca wrote:

The guy below him is IN the business to sell you his systems or refer you to someone who will get a kickback.

Shocked Say what?

Do you wish to back up your opinion with facts or will you retract the statement?

As for your being involved with RainSoft since 1997 and never hearing any negative reports... that is amazing.
RainSoft is notorious for high prices, lack of customer service and making customers/employees
falsely believe RainSoft is the manufacturer of the equipment that's being sold.
Peach0104

Sat 28 Dec, 2013 05:02 pm
@H2O MAN,
Do you wish to back up your opinion with facts or will you retract the statement?
0 Replies

Mike Bonner

Tue 29 Apr, 2014 09:56 pm
I have the system and love it. It's guaranteed for life and my water is so much better now.
tankster2000

Sun 4 May, 2014 09:06 pm
@Mike Bonner,
I have the same system an i hate it. I brought in on 2009 an it hasn't ran without a problem for 3mths staight. Most of the time i keep it on bypass because i don't want to pay the $167 to $199 service call. When its working my electric bill comes in at $300 plus had if off all last mth bill $208. Msybe it just my unit but they woundn"t change it out, just kept sending people out to bandge it up. Remember if the tell you, you have to buy it now to get the deal. Let it pass. If it a good thing no time limit woud be placed on it.
mjs1444

Fri 25 Jul, 2014 05:09 pm
@xcel,
I just had the EC4 installed today. My old manual timer motor broke for the second time in 3 years,and I upgraded the EC4. I paid $389 for the computer,and install/service trip cost another $100. I have had the Rainsoft system in my house for 8 years,and what a difference it makes,my Wrightstown,wi. water is at a 18 for hardness,so it is like a rock. Also have the R/O and Air system from the same time.
bobsal u1553115

Tue 29 Jul, 2014 08:11 pm
Kinda of concerned with the multiple "enjoy the system and the great water it will provide"'s. Sounds spamish to me. Gotta go with H2Oman on this thread.
glitterbag

Tue 29 Jul, 2014 08:53 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Where I live we have well water, the system we have is made by Culligan. We had to replace almost all the equipment about 4 years ago. I remember the salesman explaining why red or green discoloration would appear and how the system would prevent it from building up. Also for another pile of cash, they would hook up a reverse osmosis system for our drinking water and voila, our ice cubes would always be crystal clear, never cloudy ever ever again.

I don't what to tell you, but I kinda feel like I bought the Brooklyn Bridge. Maybe the water tastes a tiny bit better, but maybe I'm kidding myself. I'm just not sure. But the well water does have to be treated to be certain it's as clean as possible.
0 Replies

shamon70

Sat 18 Oct, 2014 07:54 am
just had a visit with a RS sales rep.. I must say I am pretty impressed with his sales abilities. Having said that, I have been in sales for 2 decades. Quite a few red flags popped up during the visit. First off the system does convert hard water to soft water and all the claims of damage to your pipes and appliances from hard water are true. The first red flag came up when he started pointing out the numerous health concerns with hard water. This is completely false, if anything soft water has more heath concerns when ingesting particularly with cardio vascular function. The quote he used was "hard water equals hard brain" making it hard to learn, which was particularly effective as my 2 year old daughter ran around. Plus the testing "magic show" was of particular interest. The chemical reaction to turn the water different colours was an attempt to show how polluted our water was. When in fact it was chemical trickery, the test water that ran through the system was mineral free while the tap water wasn't. Adding a few chemicals to the various samples was no more than grade 10 chemistry watching how chemicals react with one another to produce different reactions or colours.. His take on this was, the water was turning different colours because of all the pollutants and chlorine in our tap water. BS

If you want soft water to save your appliances then by all means get the system, but if your main concern is to save your families health, soft water has been proven to actually be the an unhealthier option.
dave pat

Thu 23 Oct, 2014 06:14 pm
@mjs1444,
Quality Water Systems came and replaced my computer with a new EC4 series and charged me $1490 in Katy, Texas. I believe I paid too much. Any comments, thoughts on what I can do now? Can I go to Rainsoft headquarters or go the Better Business Bureau
glitterbag

Thu 23 Oct, 2014 07:19 pm
@dave pat,
I posted earlier about how the culligan an OS system would prevent the red and green stains, the OS would give me crystal clear ice cubes. I still get the red and green stains, and my ice cubes are cloudy. Some people pay a small amount to rent the systems, I am not really sure which method screws my wallet less.
glitterbag

Thu 23 Oct, 2014 07:29 pm
@glitterbag,
One more thing, I'll bet the folks telling you the price was normal work for Rainsoft. My nephew used to work for a similar company.

Two other companies to steer clear of if you want to save a few hours of your life, Rainbow Vacuum cleaner salesmen and any company selling massive amounts of frozen meat for your freezer. And it doesn't hurt to steer clear of anyone peddling Mellalucca, another pyramid scheme.
0 Replies

dave pat

Sat 25 Oct, 2014 12:27 am
@mjs1444,
mjs1444, I checked the prices in Houston, Austin and San Antonio in Texas and was told that $1490 is the price for EC4 upgrade. Since you got your upgrade in July 2015, could you please shed some light on how your upgrade was under $500?
0 Replies

newwater

Mon 5 Jan, 2015 05:35 pm
@dave pat,
We're in Cinco Ranch. Bought the home second hand and the EC4 came with it from the prior owner. We love the damned thing, but it sounds like it was expensive as hell to buy. We really like it. Used to live in Sugar Land without a softener and the scale was unbelievable.

We have the undersink RO too. The one thing that is weird is that we seem to go through more water on our water bill. But we are clean and have finally figured out the soap thing. We use almost no soap.
newwater

Mon 5 Jan, 2015 05:43 pm
@newwater,
reply to my reply. we went to Cancun one time and got worked over in a salespitch that wasted part of our day. Hate high pressure sales techniques. I am wondering why they sell the product like this. It doesn't make sense to me. We are very happy with the product. Actually the service too. We didn't know how to operate it and placed a service call just after close and a human answered and someone came out. We placed a second call, because we thought something was wrong and they no-charged me from the second call. I've only worked with the service dept.
0 Replies

joe78733

Thu 19 Mar, 2015 06:18 pm
I've owned a Rainsoft water softner, the whole house system and the RO system for 16 years. Like I saw from someone up above, when we moved two years ago, we had the entire system moved by Rainsoft. It cost me $400. Oh, I live in Austin. We have been extremly pleased with the system. Another area this has helped in was removing the particles that collect on copper pipes. I switched to Tankless hot water systems and the soft water is much better for the tankless systems. The reason I looked at this post was we had the Rainsoft people over to change out our RO filters and the service person, talked to my wife about the upgrade to the EC4 system. The price quoted was $1,490 if I just do the microprocessor and brass valves, or $2,899 fo rthe entire system upgrade. I wanted to see what people were saying about the performance and use of the EC4 versus the 16 year old system I have. I don't work for them, never had, but i have to say the system has performed perfectly except one time and they fixed it. I still plan on doing a little more research on how the new system is compared to the one i have installed. They are expensive, no question about that. Are they way over priced??? Originally when I purchased I was afraid some how I was screwed, but, it works, has for a very long time, and sometimes you get what you pay for. A happy customer...