Bad News for the A2K Anti-Spanking Lobby

spendius

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 03:08 pm
Poor old Setanta eh? He's having difficulty getting thumbed down which means he isn't getting under anybody's skin.

I suppose I got 2 DTs for saying I would never hit a kid. It couldn't have been my remarks about CERN because I took them off the TV News.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 11:42 pm
When Is It OK To Spank?

A lot of what you’ve heard about the dangers of spanking might not be true.

Quote:
Last week, on Facebook, a friend of mine linked to a Yahoo blog post whose title caught my eye: “Spanking Linked to Mental Illness, Says Study.” My husband and I have a 14-month-old boy, whom we’ve never planned to spank. Still, we have years of discipline ahead of us, and I was curious about the findings.
So I read the story. Then I read the study it was based on. Then I got mad.
Despite the Yahoo headline, and many others like it, the study, published in Pediatrics in early July, does not actually link spanking to mental illness. In fact, the study has nothing to do with spanking at all.
Canadian researchers asked 34,000 adults how often they had been pushed, grabbed, shoved, slapped, or hit by their parents or other adults when they were children. The authors explain that they were trying to assess the long-term effects of regular harsh physical punishment, which, they write, “some may consider more severe than ‘customary’ physical punishment (i.e., spanking).” Ultimately, the researchers reported that adults who have mental problems are more likely to say they were pushed, grabbed, shoved, slapped, or hit by their parents than healthy adults are.
Yes, OK. Abuse is bad. But now I wanted to know: What about spanking? According to a 2011 study, more than half of all American parents spank their toddlers; some studies have put the number closer to 60 percent. But the American Academy of Pediatrics opposes it, and the practice is illegal in 32 countries, including Spain, Israel, and all of Scandinavia. So what’s the deal—are slaps on the tush OK if your children deserve it, or will it screw them up for life?
After digging into the literature on the topic and talking to a handful of experts, my best shot at a conclusion is this: It depends. If you spank your kids frequently, harshly, or after you’ve lost your temper, then your kids may end up worse off because of it. If, on the other hand (no pun intended), you rely primarily on nonphysical disciplinary tools like time-outs, but you (lightly) spank your kids with the palm of your hand several times when they don’t comply with these tactics, reasoning calmly but firmly with them as you do—then spanking might make your children better behaved, and it probably won’t do them any harm.

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2012/07/spanking_and_mental_illness_a_new_study_does_not_link_the_two_.html

Facts are such a bitch to the busy-bodies.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2015 02:38 pm
Quote:
Whether they’re advocates or opponents of spanking, 8 in 10 moms told Yahoo Parenting that they truly believe they are good moms. Half of the women surveyed, meanwhile, say they feel that their parenting skills need improvement, but that they’re working on them. “Parents just get fed up and don’t know what to do, so they spank and it works,” if only for the short-term, Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids author and psychologist Laura Markham tells Yahoo Parenting. “Wouldn’t it be great if we could all tell the truth, which is sometimes we lose control and get stuck and don’t know what else to do? This idea that everyone else has her act together is just a fantasy.”

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/what-moms-really-think-about-spanking-judging-090037683.html

Wow, talk about bias. No information has been presented in this piece about why parents spank. Maybe they do it because it works regardless of their moral position on spanking, regardless of what they have been told about about whether they should spank, and they make a reasonable rational choice about which tool to pull from the toolbox. The tool that works is very often the right choice.
BillRM

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2015 06:23 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote from the novel Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein concerning using Corporal punishments and spankings.

Quote:

and pain is the basic mechanism built into us by millions of years of evolution which safeguards us by warning when something threatens our survival. Why should society refuse to use such a highly perfected survival mechanism? However, that period was loaded with pre-scientific pseudo-psychological nonsense.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2015 06:56 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote from the novel Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein concerning using Corporal punishments and spankings.

Quote:

and pain is the basic mechanism built into us by millions of years of evolution which safeguards us by warning when something threatens our survival. Why should society refuse to use such a highly perfected survival mechanism? However, that period was loaded with pre-scientific pseudo-psychological nonsense.

Or as I say: with Moderns fantasy often trumps reality.
0 Replies

Willl

Reply Fri 15 May, 2020 03:30 pm
@Mame,
Any mother that spanks by hand and then adds a hairbrush is abusive and absolutely beating the child. No mother with a boy over 8 should spank him. If the father won't, he should have other punishment. Girls can be spanked by mothers until mom decides. No doggone perversion.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 15 May, 2020 04:13 pm
@Willl,
Willl wrote:

Any mother that spanks by hand and then adds a hairbrush is abusive and absolutely beating the child. No mother with a boy over 8 should spank him. If the father won't, he should have other punishment. Girls can be spanked by mothers until mom decides. No doggone perversion.

You are against heterosexual spanking... but lesbian spanking is OK?

That makes sense to me.
BillRM

Reply Fri 15 May, 2020 06:26 pm
@maxdancona,
Talk about raising the dead this is a five years old thread.
0 Replies

Rayblondie

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2023 10:42 am
@hawkeye10,
Good point Hawkeye. The anti spanking philosophy just doesn't add up to the results. We have teenagers running wild who have never been disciplined. It is mostly pedalled by atheists who do not know how to discipline wisely and liken it to wild beasts.
0 Replies

Rayblondie

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2023 10:45 am
@hawkeye10,
Same with me. Traffic issues. He never ran off again after running away from his mum across the roads after school.
0 Replies

Rayblondie

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2023 10:52 am
@Ceili,
Why don't you let those who believe in it do it so long as it is not violence. There is a difference you know. Most of the anti spankers seem to be woke type of people to me.
0 Replies