Bad News for the A2K Anti-Spanking Lobby

DrewDad

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 04:58 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Yes Firefly the parents should wait until the government and the police need to used force to control their out of control children.

Right... because not spanking is the same as having no discipline at all.

/sarcasm
BillRM

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 05:04 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:
Right... because not spanking is the same as having no discipline at all.

If the others means work all fine and good if they do not however then spanking is far better then having the police end up using force against you kids.

Oh sorry your opinion it is the other way around let the society/police used the force if needed not the parents.

It is far better to kick kids/suspense kids out of schools then spank them also then you should wait until they get found breaking into homes and getting into other troubles when not in school for the government to try to get your kids in line.

http://www.nospank.net/pb.jpg

Baker County schools Superintendent Paula Barton holds a paddle she uses for corporal punishment at parents' request. She said some parents expect the tough-love discipline for their children. RICK WILSON/The Times-Union
Setanta

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 05:21 am
@BillRM,
You're still peddling this bullshit. You have presented zero evidence to link corporal punishment or the lack of it with criminal behavior in adulthood. I can't imagine how you expect to be taken seriously. Tell us again how all children were beaten by their parents throughouit history, that one carck s me up, too.
spendius

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 05:25 am
There are many reasons for differential crime and incarceration rates in different places and at different times. Focus on corporal punishment of children merely serves to distract attention from those reasons.

I've read that some people like photos of that nature. They excite them it seems.

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 05:25 am
@Setanta,
You are the one who wish to end a million years or so method of raising children so it your task to show the evidence not mine that the human race had been wrong since it beginnings.
spendius

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 05:35 am
@BillRM,
There is such a large number of aspects of living today Bill which were not found in the millions of years of human history that it would be invidious to choose one or two examples as proof of the utter idiocy of your post.

From the scientific point of view there are a range of quite telling arguments that recommend a disconnect between having children and raising them.
BillRM

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 05:55 am
@spendius,
Once more making claims with no backing is not proof that the human race had been in error for it whole history or that conditions had somehow change in the recent past in raising children that would required or make desirable the stopping of all physical punishment within families in relationship to child rearing.

I seems emotional/moral arguments for stopping spanking and pseudoscience studies backing up not spanking but no hard evidence that mild punishment of that nature is harmful to children and no proof that it is not in fact of benefit to some children.

Setanta

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 06:06 am
@BillRM,
Once again, you have provided no evidence that this represents "a million years or so method" (in your typically inept English). No one has to disprove your idiotic and unsupported contentions. What evidence do you have that all children (if you like, i go find and quote the post in which you said all children) have been beaten throughout history? If you can't prove that, there's no reason to take your bullshit seriously. You are so ******* stupid, that you think you have the right to insist on your unsubstantiate premises, and that anyone who laughs at your idiocy must disprove your premises.

You continue to provide no evidence to link corporal punishment or the lack of it with criminality in adulthood.

You have no idea if i want to end spanking or not, or what my attitude is toward it, because i haven't said. I've just consistently pointed out the gross stupidity of your claims.
BillRM

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 06:17 am
@Setanta,
Lord we had found no evidence that any major human culture in history had not used that means in child rearing that I am aware of so once more as it you not me who wish to change the child rearing methods therefore it up to you to show that any major culture had not done so in the past.

Good luck on that....................

You are blowing so must smoke that it might be placing you at risk of lung cancer.
Setanta

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 06:37 am
@BillRM,
We had found no evidence? Leaving aside your butchery of the language, what evidence do you have that all major human cultures embraced such methods? It's up to you to prove that, i don't have to disprove it. Basically, what we have here is the arch-attack atheist of able2know promoting the Judeo-christian principle of "spare the rod and spoil the child." You're hilarious. If you argue a position, the burden of demonstrating the premises of that postion is on you.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 06:51 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
no proof that it is not in fact of benefit to some children.

What exactly does the benefit of children mean.

There is a big row going on here about the use of the whip in horseracing. It is argued by some that without the use of the whip horseracing would cease to exist. In which case all the race horses would be put down as they are no use for anything else and thus it is to the benefit of the horses that they are whipped during races. That they might be whipped in training where there are no cameras is not being considered.

You are applying that argument to children when society needs children whereas it does not need race horses. Children did not ask to be born into the society in which your supposed benefits apply. Your argument is tautological because you are defining the benefit. Your aversion therapy is to get them to behave in a manner you approve of which is likely to be a manner which reflects credit upon your genetic material.
BillRM

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 07:07 am
@spendius,
The goal is to end up with law abiding and useful citizens at the end of their childhood.

Now as it is your wish to change the child rearing practices it is your job to show/prove that reaching that goal would be better achieve by outlawing spanking.

Your distasted for spanking is beside the point as you had no moral right to interfere with parents child rearing practices unless you can show that the results are better by so doing. Not that you would feel better if spanking was outlaw.
spendius

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 07:33 am
@BillRM,
You're still on a tautology Bill. "Law abiding and useful citizens" is no different than "benefit".

And you're not defining spanking either. It's just a tender euphemism for assaulting a kid. I'm against assault. And it's the worst form of assault as the perp is usually at least twice the size of the victim who has nowhere to run except the streets. A powerless victim.

If you want to thump somebody pick somebody your own size who is free to thump back. There's a very good chance that the behaviour you are seeking to correct has been caused by your own methods of upbringing.

And the assault might well be much more effective in achieving your stated aims if it was carried out in public so that excessive force might be reduced.
BillRM

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 07:43 am
@spendius,
Quote:
And you're not defining spanking either

I love it that you are complaining that I am not defining for you what you wish to outlaw! Drunk
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 07:45 am
I looked up the latest research on spanking.

Here's an overview: http://blog.smu.edu/research/2011/06/22/sounds-of-corporal-punishment-mothers-self-recorded-audio-gives-unique-real-time-view-of-spanking-within-the-context-of-day-to-day-activity/

Just as I suspected, spanking isn't always about "safety issues".
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 08:39 am
@boomerang,
Its about bullying & ego domination.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 08:48 am
@boomerang,
It's hardly ever about safety issues, I would imagine.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 08:56 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
You're still on a tautology Bill. "Law abiding and useful citizens" is no different than "benefit".

And you're not defining spanking either. It's just a tender euphemism for assaulting a kid.
I'm against assault. And it's the worst form of assault as the perp is usually at least twice
the size of the victim who has nowhere to run except the streets. A powerless ]victim.
WELL SAID, Spendius qua your entire post.
Its an assault upon the kid's dignity. Its a different way to rape the kid.

spendius wrote:
If you want to thump somebody pick somebody your own size who is free to thump back.
The spankers may well be too cowardly to do that.

spendius wrote:
There's a very good chance that the behaviour you are seeking to correct
has been caused by your own methods of upbringing.

And the assault might well be much more effective in achieving your stated aims
if it was carried out in public so that excessive force might be reduced.
Sadly, I 've been an ear witness to it being done in public to more severely humiliate the kid.
In 1 instance, a stingy father was angered qua his 13 year old son spending $$ on his new girlfriend,
so he called the girlfriend over and made his son do punitive push-ups, in public; sickening.
As soon as it became possible, the kid left and joined the Army.
He must be out by now.

David
ehBeth

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 01:00 pm
@boomerang,
Really interesting stuff, boomerang.

Thanks for the link.

Quote:
From 70 percent to 90 percent of parents spank their children, and it’s practiced in the vast majority of countries worldwide, Holden said. Studies have shown that its single positive effect is immediate compliance. Increasingly, however, the evidence is clear that spanking is associated with many unintended negative consequences, he said.

“Children who are spanked are more likely to be aggressive toward other children and adults,” Holden said. “Over the long term they tend to be more difficult and noncompliant, have various behavior problems, can develop anxiety disorders or depression, and later develop antisocial behavior. They are more at risk to be involved in intimate partner violence, and they are at risk to become child abusers.”

The discipline also can escalate, Holden said.

“We know that the majority of physical child abuses cases actually begin with a disciplinary encounter that then gets out of control,” he said. “So for that reason alone, it’s not a good idea to use corporal punishment.”

The researchers hope their study ultimately will help parents use positive discipline and less punishment, he said.

“It’s not the once or twice a year that a child may be swatted, but it’s the kids who are exposed to frequent corporal punishment — that is the concern,” Holden said. “Kids need discipline, but centered on mutual respect and love, without potentially harming the child with corporal punishment.”

BillRM

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 01:03 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Well this is an emotion issue for some of you and not focus on the likely best interests of the children or the right of parents to bring up their children with minimum interfered by the state.
0 Replies