Bad News for the A2K Anti-Spanking Lobby

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 02:36 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
TEXAS

Abuse does not include reasonable discipline by a parent/guardian/managing or possessory conservator if child not exposed to substantial risk of harm. Family Code Sec. 261.001.[Ci.] Parent/stepparent/person standing in loco parentis to child is justified to use non-deadly force against a child under 18 when and to degree the actor reasonably believes necessary to discipline, or safeguard or promote child's welfare. Penal Sec. 9.61.[Cr.]

http://familyrightsassociation.com/info/spanking_laws.htm

Given that we have some here in this thread who dont believe that any spanking qualifies as reasonable force this statute sure is vague.

Is it really so impossible to write a statute that says some thing like "spanking and other discipline blows are legal so long as no bones are broken, there is no bleeding, and any mark is gone with-in 48 hours??

Apparently it is.
Ceili

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 02:42 pm
48 hours? You really are a cold hearted S.O.B...
DrewDad

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 02:44 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
There sure is a lot of hemming and hawing and maybe's here, just as I claimed..

So? That's what courts are for. They sort out the messy crap.

The point isn't to have every human interaction rigidly defined so that some asshole can look at the law and say, "how much abuse can I dish out before they can convict me?"
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 02:44 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

some people bruise easy, and heal slowly. Besides, the number does not matter to my argument, it is the principle that the state could tell us exactly was is legal and what is not, but they choose to not do it.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 02:45 pm
@Ceili,
Quote:

LOL Hawkeye 48 hours means that you are a cold hearted SOB so I wonder if 30 hours would be ok with her..................... Drunk
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 02:46 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Is it really so impossible to write a statute that says some thing like "spanking and other discipline blows are legal so long as no bones are broken, there is no bleeding, and any mark is gone with-in 48 hours??

I see that you're the kind asshole to whom I was referring....
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 02:48 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
The point isn't to have every human interaction rigidly defined so that some asshole can look at the law and say, "how much abuse can I dish out before they can convict me?"
THAT is your best argument..that it is reasonable for the state to keep the citizens guessing about what the law requires? No, that is an abusive state, the state that claims to be a state that is ruled by law can not then purposefully muck up the law so that it can say that the law is what ever it claims it is on any particular day as it now does. That is ruling by caprice, not ruling by law. Any state that pulls this BS can not be trusted to follow any law, to include the Constitution, not that our federal government has shown much interest in following the Constitution lately anyway mind you..
firefly

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 02:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
How does punishing a two year old translate into a finding that deadly force was applied?

It doesn't translate into deadly force--that's your misinterpretation of what was said. Obviously, the law doesn't condone the use of deadly force against any child, under any circumstances.
But, Texas law permits the use of some force on a child. But, you'd have to consult Texas child abuse law to find out how the limits of that force are defined. As, is the case with sexual assault laws, child abuse laws, and definitions, differ from state to state, and they rely on specific state definitions.

You also seem to have ignored this comment, from a Texas CPS spokesperson..
Quote:
A CPS spokesperson told KZTV-10 that spanking is only considered criminal when it injures the child.

In this case, the force did inflict injury on the child--the child's buttocks were red, and remained red and visible to another person. That is a visible injury to the skin of the child. Particularly with a 2 year old, that indicates excessive force, and inapproriately applied force--2 year olds are limited in what they can comprehend.
In the state I live in, if you hit a child hard enough to leave a visible mark remaining on the skin, that can be observed by another, that is abuse. It may also be abuse in your state, and considered as abuse in Texas.
Quote:
we are told that the only damage was red skin

So, that's not enough damage for you? You want lasting and permanent damage? There are different degrees of damage and injury and the law takes that into account.
Red skin is damage, injury to the skin, it's a sign of inflammation, and indicates the degree of force used. That degree of force is inappropriate for a 2 year old.

Would you defend what this woman did to her child?

BillRM

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 02:50 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
So? That's what courts are for. They sort out the messy crap.

Sorry there is an concept in our legal system that a law need to be written is such a manner that a average reasonable person can tell when and if they are breaking it or not.

I can not at the moment think of the legal term for it however it is there and more then one law had been thrown out by the courts over this issue.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 02:51 pm
@firefly,
Apparently he would, it wasn't a bruise after all...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 02:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
I have no need for an argument for what is reasonable and unreasonable.

You are the one who has a case to bolster; you seem to be failing to do so.

I don't think that reasonable people have trouble reading the law and interpreting it.
BillRM

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 02:57 pm
@DrewDad,
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Criminal+Law

Laws passed by Congress or a state must define crimes with certainty. A citizen and the courts must have a clear understanding of a criminal law's requirements and prohibitions. The elements of a criminal law must be stated explicitly, and the statute must embody some reasonably discoverable standards of guilt. If the language of a statute does not plainly show what the legislature intended to prohibit and punish, the statute may be declared void for vagueness.

In deciding whether a statute is sufficiently certain and plain, the court must evaluate it from the standpoint of a person of ordinary intelligence who might be subject to its terms. A statute that fails to give such a person fair notice that the particular conduct is forbidden is indefinite and therefore void. Courts will not hold a person criminally responsible for conduct that could not reasonably be understood to be illegal. However, mere difficulty in understanding the meaning of the words used, or the Ambiguity of certain language, will not nullify a statute for vagueness.

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 03:01 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

I have no need for an argument for what is reasonable and unreasonable.

You are the one who has a case to bolster; you seem to be failing to do so.

I don't think that reasonable people have trouble reading the law and interpreting it.

Scalia has it right

Quote:
We face a Congress that puts forth an ever-increasing volume of laws in general, and of criminal laws in particular. It should be no surprise that as the volume increases, so do the number of imprecise laws. And no surprise that our indulgence of imprecisions that violate the Constitution encourages imprecisions that violate the Constitution. Fuzzy, leave-the-details-to-be-sorted-out-by-the-courts legislation is attractive to the Congressman who wants credit for addressing a national problem but does not have the time (or perhaps the votes) to grapple with the nitty gritty. In the field of criminal law, at least, it is time to call a halt. I do not think it would be a radical step—indeed, I think it would be highly responsible—to limit ACCA to the named violent crimes. Congress can quickly add what it wishes. Because the majority prefers to let vagueness reign, I respectfully dissent.

http://ricochet.com/main-feed/Justice-Scalia-on-The-Lazy-Congress-and-Vague-Laws

He is talking about the Federal Legislature, but the state legislatures put out even worse product.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 03:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

Except that the law must take the age of the child into account, and the circumstances of the situation into account, so each case must be considered seperately. And that also works to the benefit of the parent, and allows them more leeway with an older child than with a younger one.

Would you accept any amount of spanking of a 12 month old as being appropriate? Would you need to see more than red skin before you'd personally consider it abusive?

0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 03:14 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:

Neither do I.

But, the two people here, BillRM and Hawkeye, who are questioning the child abuse laws, may not be reasonable people.

Most normal people try not to injure their children, they don't have to quibble about the meaning and intent of the child abuse laws.

Who, except someone who might be violating child abuse laws, is going to worry about whether the degree of force, or the degree of injury, they are inflicting on their children is criminal?
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 03:21 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Who, except someone who might be violating child abuse laws, is going to worry about whether the degree of force, or the degree of injury, they are inflicting on their children is criminal?
That you would argue that only a criminal would care what the laws are shows yet again how little regard you have for democracy or the rights of the citizens. You are an authoritarian thug, pure and simple.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 03:23 pm
Quote:
Combine vagueness with the ever expanding number of statutes and regulations affecting businesses and entrepreneurs on a daily basis and the result is a government bureaucracy with almost unlimited power to intimidate and blackmail citizens with the threat of prosecution--or to punish practically any conduct they choose to declare "illegal." Two centuries ago James Madison warned that it would be "of little avail to the people, that the laws are made by men of their own choice, if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood." But every year Congress and federal regulators create new restrictions, often written in impenetrable jargon or broad mandates that cannot be understood until after charges are filed.

Even worse are vague laws that aren't actually laws at all but common law concepts--most notably the theory of "public nuisance." This is an ancient legal concept that started out as a crime but is now regarded as a civil law matter. The exact definition of the term is anybody's guess. The famous law professor William Prosser called it a "legal garbage can" full of "vagueness, uncertainty and confusion," and one California court called it an "impenetrable jungle" that "has meant all things to all people and has been applied indiscriminately to everything from an alarming advertisement to a cockroach baked in a pie."

That ambiguity makes "public nuisance" a powerful tool in the hands of ambitious politicians. California Attorney General Jerry Brown prosecuted General Motors for "public nuisance" on the ground that they make and sell cars, thereby contributing to pollution. Never mind that making cars is perfectly legal and that California itself operates a fleet of more than 100,000. Other public nuisance cases have been brought against gun makers, oil companies and manufacturers of paint for selling perfectly legal products. The goal isn't to win cases but to give prosecutors headlines and obtain hefty settlements from intimidated corporations.

http://www.forbes.com/2010/03/30/vague-laws-economy-government-opinions-contributors-timothy-sandefur_2.html

Same problem of an immoral state, just a different target of abuse.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 03:25 pm
@Ceili,
Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruise

Low levels of damaging forces produce small bruises and generally cause the individual to feel minor pain straight away. Repeated impacts worsen bruises, increasing the harm level. Normally, light bruises heal nearly completely within two weeks, although duration is affected by variation in severity and individual healing processes;[5] generally, more severe or deeper bruises take somewhat longer.

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 03:29 pm
Quote:
We take no position on whether Skilling committed a crime, or even the crime at issue here (whatever that may be). Instead, we argue that the Court should clarify that the constitutional prohibition on vague laws protects sophisticated and unsophisticated defendants alike in the realm of economic regulation, as well as in criminal law. The due process requirements of fair warning and definiteness apply equally in the contexts of white collar business crimes, business torts, and civil regulations.

Vague laws involve three basic dangers: First, they may harm the innocent by failing to warn of the offense. Second, they encourage arbitrary and discriminatory enforcement because vague laws delegate enforcement and statutory interpretation to individual government officials. Third, because citizens will take extra precautions to avoid violating the law, vague laws inhibit our individual freedom

http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/vague-laws-defy-the-rule-of-law/

Purposefully writing law to be vague is an abuse of the citizen at the hands of the state.
firefly

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 03:35 pm
@BillRM,
The purpose of discipline isn't to injure your child, it's to modify the child's behavior.

You're rather cavalier and accepting of parents intentionally inflicting injury on children. That isn't discipline, it's sadism.

And you've yet to come up with research that demonstrates the positive benefits of corporal punishment, or why it is more effective than non-physical methods of discipline.