Bad News for the A2K Anti-Spanking Lobby

BillRM

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 09:56 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
I made no such comparison, so you're being hysterical. I have seen no one here advocate changing laws, so, once again, you're being hysterical.

Of course they are and even the website that the so call researchers was associate with call for all the nations in the world to do so.
BillRM

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 09:57 am
@ehBeth,
Sorry they are in bed with a group that wish to outlaw spanking worldwide,
spendius

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 10:20 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
I have seen no one here advocate changing laws, so, once again, you're being hysterical.

But I just did in the very last post. I advocated changing the law by making the comparison with assault which is actually undeniable.

Which shows what an idiotic thing Ignore is and how much a fool you can make of yourself by resorting to such a tactic.

Bill is labelled hysterical on the basis of Setanta not reading the last post on the thread which is undoubtedly "here".
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 10:22 am
@spendius,
Quote:
Which shows what an idiotic thing Ignore is

Agreed
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 11:13 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Of course they are and even the website that the so call researchers was associate with call for all the nations in the world to do so.

Bullshit--that has nothing to do with the people here.

BillRM wrote:
Of course that is the aim of the anti-spanking people on this group to turn the majority of parents into criminals because they do not care for spankings and wish to interfere with how the majority of people raised their own children by the force of the law.

Your remarks referred to the people here as far as i could see, if you meant anyone else, you certainly didn't make that clear. I cannot be held responsible for translating the confused and often nearly incoherent drivel you post into English. I am not interested in what strangers have to say. Given that i was also referring to that hysterical drivel of Chicken Little's about an "A2K anti-spanking lobby," i was clearly referring to the people here--and i said as much directly. If you cannot respond coherently, don't tell me i'm dishonest--learn to speak the ******* English languiage. I have seen no one here advocate changing the laws, which is what i've said all along. If you have evidence to contrary, provide it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 11:41 am
@BillRM,
So that's why you didn't read the research results?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 11:48 am
@ehBeth,
let's make it easier for you Bill

ehBeth wrote:

Really interesting stuff, boomerang.

Thanks for the link.

Quote:
The researchers hope their study ultimately will help parents use positive discipline and less punishment, he said.

these researchers aren't even calling for a complete ban on spanking - they're talking about less punishment, not no punishment

their research (follow the links in the first thread and you end up at the original research) is in agreement with several of your comments - but you seem unwilling to understand and keep shouting down the house about something they haven't said because their research was presented at a conference that released a statement you don't like

you need to work on your attention to detail
BillRM

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 12:00 pm
@ehBeth,
The association/summit is calling for a complete ban that they are associated with hell a complete worldwide ban as a matter of fact.

They are proven not to be disinterested and unbiased researchers but people with a strong agenda that they wish to sell so you can wipe you rear end with such people so call research "results".
ehBeth

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 12:11 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
They are proven not to be disinterested and unbiased researchers but people with a strong agenda that they wish to sell so you can wipe you rear end with such people so call research "results".

their research results agree with comments you have made in this thread.

I guess we know what to make of your comments based on this response.
BillRM

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 12:22 pm
@ehBeth,
Sorry but no research done by any such people if they agree or disagree with any parts of my positions is worth anything at all.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 12:54 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:

Of course that is the aim of the anti-spanking people on this group to turn the majority of parents into criminals because they do not care for spankings and wish to interfere with how the majority of people raised their own children by the force of the law

I agree with Setanta--you are spouting pure bull ****.

That people want to intelligently discuss the pros and cons of corporal punishment as a method of discipline, either from a moral perspective, or based on their own personal experience, or in terms of the research findings that look at the effects of spanking on the child, does not translate into any advocacy about changing the laws, because no one here is advocating such change.

But, it must be noted how absolutely closed minded you are when it comes to any objective discussion of the negative effects of spanking (which may go far beyond a few smacks on the buttocks with an open hand)--you've been absolutely hysterical on the need to preserve spanking as some sort of parental "right"--replete with your bizarre visions of non-spanked children being clubbed and tazered into submission by the police--without any consideration, at all, of the possibly negative effects on the child, which have been well documented in the research literature, or the very real problem of child abuse that occurs because some parents lack adequate impulse control, or cannot distinguish the line between appropriate discipline and abuse, or who misapply corporal discipline on infants and toddlers or use it for developmental problems rather than misbehavior, or who justify and rationalize excessive physical punishments/abuse of children as a parent's God-given legal right and obligation.

You completely overlook the fact that some parents are already behaving like criminals, and are already going beyond legal sanctioned "spanking", and they are inflicting substantial physical pain and emotional and psychological harm on their children, but we just don't hear about these cases unless the child himself or herself reports it to authorities, something that most of them would be too frightened to do, although some are brave enough to do just that. The main argument which is generally advanced in favor of out-lawing spanking is generally to try to stop the problem of child abuse---because it seriously harms, and even kills, children--and not to try to turn parents into criminals, as you so foolishly assert--the aim is to protect children from serious harm at the hands of their caretakers.

But, you don't want to have an intelligent discussion on this issue, where all sides of the question are explored, all you've been ranting about and saying is that parents must be allowed to spank, or their child will turn out to be some wild unsocialized anti-social savage. And you've never clarified why you believe that other methods of discipline cannot be as effective as physical methods, or why a parent would be defenseless if deprived of the legal right to spank. Where's the research to support your point of view?

You're the one who doesn't want to discuss this issue, you just want to keep reiterating your own narrow-minded views that completely exclude a balanced and objective view of the effects of corporal punishment on a child. The issue of legality, or the fictional "anti-spanking lobby", is really secondary to the matter of what's in the best interest of promoting a psychologically healthy, emotionally stable, well behaved child, and which methods of discipline best facilitate that goal. But, an equally valid line of discussion should include some awareness of the crime of child abuse, something that's generally hidden from public view unless a child dies and it hits the news, and a crime that stems from parental abuse of the laws that permit corporal punishment.

Your own blind spot on this topic is enormous, and it prevents you from really understanding what many here have been saying in their posts, or why they are saying it. So all you do is mis-characterize, misinterpret, distort, and ignore what doesn't fit in with your rigid preconceived ideas. If you took off your blinders, you might actually learn something, but I really don't expect that to happen.
Quote:
Research that no rational person would give any credit is all that so far been offer on this thread.

That's more bull **** on your part.

You talk about a summit meeting, which is not a research study, and you ignore perfectly valid and well designed research studies, either because you can't understand them, or because they don't fit in with your preconceived ideas.

I posted this link before, which briefly summarizes some of the research, and which offers perfectly valid food for thought, as well as balanced views.
http://www.parentingscience.com/spanking-children.html

That you give no credit, or serious thought, at all, to such research findings suggests that you are the one who is not being a rational person.

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 12:57 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
You completely overlook the fact that some parents are already behaving like criminals, and are already going beyond legal sanctioned "spanking"
As we see with adult sexual abuse the line between parental discipline rights and child abuse is left purposefully vague. This is abuse of the citizens at the hands of the state. A just and moral state would draw the line clearly, and only sanction those citizens who clearly cross it. America can not do this, as we are not a very civilized nation anymore.
spendius

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 01:25 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
does not translate into any advocacy about changing the laws, because no one here is advocating such change.

Sheesh!! Not another one. I am advocating corporal punishment being made illegal and subject to the law on assault with stiffer penalties because the kid is defenceless. Aversion therapy does not work --it just makes the subject more cunning.

Who doesn't agree? Who does?
firefly

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 01:27 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
As we see with adult sexual abuse the line between parental discipline rights and child abuse is left purposefully vague.

Actually, it's not vague at all. It's spelled out, just as the sexual assault laws are spelled out, and it may differ from state to state. People could not be arrested and charged with child abuse if the laws were not already spelled out.

If you want to know what the line is between legal physical discipline and abuse in your state you can find that information. That is the information that all mandated reporters of child abuse in your state must use, they have to be able to recognize the difference between acceptable discipline and what is defined as legal abuse in order to be able to report instances of abuse, and that difference is spelled out.
Quote:
This is abuse of the citizens at the hands of the state.

More of your hysterical paranoid propaganda.

When it comes to this issue, it's much more likely the children who are being abused than their parents.
And, in case you don't remember, children are citizens with legal rights too.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 01:44 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
A Texas woman was sentenced to five years probation after pleading guilty to the charge of Injury of a Child. What did this Corpus Christi mother of three do? She spanked her then nearly 2-year-old daughter.

Rosalina Gonzales: Charged with Injury of Child for spanking her toddler.
“You don’t spank children today,” said Judge Jose Longoria. “In the old days, maybe we got spanked, but there was a different quarrel. You don’t spank children.”

Prosecutors are requiring Rosalina Gonzales to take parenting classes, follow Child Protection Services (CPS) guidelines, and pay $50 to the Children’s Advocacy Center in addition to being on probation.

Gonzales spanked her daughter in December 2010. Her daughter’s paternal grandmother noticed red marks on the child’s bottom and took her to a hospital to be checked out, according to KZTV-10, Corpus Christi.

The state has put Gonzales’s three children in the hands of the grandmother. The mother is working with CPS to regain custody.

Spanking as a way of discipline is rooted in past generations. Many of us have parents who smacked our buns when we touched the hot pot on the stove. These days the trend seems to be against spanking with experts recommending other forms of discipline, such as time-outs. In a 2009 BabyCenter survey of 1,300 moms, 81 percent of moms said they were spanked as kids yet only 49 percent chose to swat their own children.

Are those parents who are spanking their children committing a crime? Is spanking illegal in Texas? A CPS spokesperson told KZTV-10 that spanking is only considered criminal when it injures the child. The Texas Attorney General’s website has a similar message: “Texas law allows the use of force, but not deadly force, against a child by the child’s parent, guardian, or other person who is acting in loco parentis.”

Gonzales isn’t the first person to be charged for spanking a child. In Canada a father was sentenced to two years probation after spanking his 9-year-old daughter with a belt and being convicted for assault with a weapon, according to the Huffington Post

http://blog.sfgate.com/sfmoms/2011/06/23/a-texas-judge-declares-spanking-a-child-a-crime/

Quote:
Use of Deadly Force Law & Legal Definition
Deadly force is generally defined as physical force which, under the circumstances in which it is used, is readily capable of causing death or serious physical injury. In order for deadly force to be justified there must be an immediate, otherwise unavoidable threat of death or grave bodily harm to yourself or other innocents. Deadly force is that force which could reasonably be expected to cause death or grave bodily harm.

http://definitions.uslegal.com/u/use-of-deadly-force/

And yet this judge thinks that the law allows him to convict anyone who spanks because "You don’t spank children today,”

Quote:
"You don't spank children today," said Judge Jose Longoria. "In the old days, maybe we got spanked, but there was a different quarrel. You don't spank children."

Rosalina Gonzales had pleaded guilty to a felony charge of injury to a child for what prosecutors had described as a "pretty simple, straightforward spanking case." They noted she didn't use a belt or leave any bruises, just some red marks.

http://www.volunteertv.com/home/headlines/Mom_pleads_guilty_to_spanking_own_child_124072014.html

SO are you Firefly now going to tell me that this conviction will be overturned? If it is not doesn't this mean that the law is vague, as "grave bodily injury" has now been stretched to mean " the leaving of red marks" in order to gain a conviction because the judge does not like spanking?
DrewDad

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 01:47 pm
@hawkeye10,
a) The court probably has a lot more information than we do, from an isolated news story.
b) Spanking a two-year old should be punished. If you're hitting a two-year-old child, it's not to enforce discipline.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 01:53 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

a) The court probably has a lot more information than we do, from an isolated news story.

The words used by the Judge clearly indicate that there needs to be no further information, he simply does not like spanking as thinks that the law support him punishing spanking. In any case we are told that the only damage was red skin.

Quote:
b) Spanking a two-year old should be punished. If you're hitting a two-year-old child, it's not to enforce discipline
. How does punishing a two year old translate into a finding that deadly force was applied? It seems to me that the statue would need to be amended to read "either deadly force or any force to a two year old". You and the judge can want to punish what ever you want, but as a nation built upon laws you can only punish what the law allows so long as the law is evenly applied and so long as you attempt to advance justice.
spendius

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 02:07 pm
@spendius,
And CP does not address the problem of why the kid's behaviour needs to be corrected. All behaviour has equal standing under the laws of evolution.

So anybody who thinks the laws of evolution should be taught in schools and is in favour of CP is up a gum tree. He or she has a subjective agenda and on that agenda justifies assualting a kid.

The main subjective agendas are sadism and trying to get the kid to reflect to the world how well brought up the kid is i.e. what wonderful parents the twats are, and the kid has no duty to the parents, quite the contrary, because the kid didn't ask to be born in to this shithole with natural propensities evolved over millions of years such as when little Moses smiled at Bithia and her naked handmaidens or Tom Jones held on tightly to Mr Allworthy's finger or when Katie showed her pee-pee to the boys after they had taken up a collection. Like in men's magazines.

Don't have kids is my advice if you can't cope with the little buggers without resorting to violence. You can tie them up with velvet ropes and put a slow acting gobstopper in their mouths.

Taking parenting too seriously is the real problem as I see it. That reflecting the superior character of the twats bullshit.

0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 02:11 pm
@hawkeye10,
Deadly force? wtf?

You have a serious inability to comprehend basic English.

"Spanking is criminal when it injures the child." Not "spanking is criminal when it is deadly force."
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 02:33 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Deadly force? wtf?

You have a serious inability to comprehend basic English.

"Spanking is criminal when it injures the child." Not "spanking is criminal when it is deadly force."

Quote:
Does her arrest prove that spanking is now against the law in Texas?

We put that question to Bexar County Assistant District Attorney Cliff Herberg. "The law allows you to spank your child. You are allowed to impose reasonable, physical discipline on your child."

So how does a parent know what is "reasonable?" The law doesn't say specifically, but we did find these guidelines from the Attorney General's office.

Don't hit a child in anger. Abuse is most likely to occur when the parent is out of control. The A.G.'s office also says striking a child above the waist is more likely to be considered abusive, since disciplinary spanking is usually confined to the buttocks area. And the most obvious guideline: Punishment is abusive if it causes injury.

"Spanking a child on the butt is not generally going to be seen as child abuse," adds Herberg. "When you beat a child with a belt where it leaves welts across that child's back, or other parts of their body for days or weeks, you've crossed the line. And you are going to get into trouble for that."

The red marks above her son's waist are probably what led to Shanna Hartman's arrest, although she denies causing them.

Finally, the A.G.'s office says an open hand, belts and hair brushes are not likely to be considered abusive when used for spanking. But things like electrical cords, boards, sticks, ropes or shoes are likely to be.

If you are a parent who uses time-out instead of spanking, that could also be considered abuse if it involves locking a child in or out, depriving them of food, or restraining them in some way.

If you want to report suspected child abuse you can call the Child Protective Services hotline at 1-800-252-5400. Parents who need someone to talk to about how to discipline their children, can call the Center for Health Care Services at 223-7233. They're available 24 hours a day.

http://www.woai.com/content/troubleshooters/story/To-spank-or-not-to-spank-What-does-Texas-law-say/04q17j51tUi4NURs5oHuqw.cspx

There sure is a lot of hemming and hawing and maybe's here, just as I claimed..