Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 08:51 pm
@Ceili,
Yes it was, because it was in kind.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 09:00 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
It depends what you mean by "wrong"? If you mean can it have long-term adverse effects, yes it can be "wrong". One of the most consistent adverse effects appears to be the increased risk of aggressive behavior in the child,
Of course not...just about every prescription drug has increased risk of serious long term adverse effects, to include death, but I would never argue that taking them is wrong on that basis alone.

As usual your long spiel presented with authority upon closer inspection turns out to be a lot of nothing, as well as reeks of dishonesty.
firefly

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 10:12 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
As usual your long spiel presented with authority upon closer inspection turns out to be a lot of nothing, as well as reeks of dishonesty.

Saying that a longitudinal study of over 2500 children, each followed over 2 years, with statistically significant results indicating that spanking increases a child's aggressive behaviors is "a lot of nothing"--with no substantive critique of the study to support that comment--suggests you just can't acknowledge the negative effects of spanking on a child's development. And this particular study was very well designed and executed and corrected for methodological flaws in earlier studies which had found similar results.

Quote:
just about every prescription drug has increased risk of serious long term adverse effects, to include death, but I would never argue that taking them is wrong on that basis alone.

Oh, but it might be wrong on that basis alone, if you didn't want to risk dying from the drug. Living with the ailment, or taking another less harmful drug, might be a far better alternative.

Just as it might be a far better alternative to use non-physical methods of discipline, rather than a method which increases the risk of making the child more aggressive, with more behavioral problems, which require further disciplinary measures. Using a method that increases behavioral problems would seem counterproductive to helping to develop a better behaved child--which is the purpose of discipline, isn't it?

Unless you aren't interested in what might be best for your child, and the advantage of using spanking is that it helps you to vent your anger and irritability more easily, and makes no demands on you for a more patient, less impulsive response to the child's behavior--and you like modeling aggressive behavior for your children to emulate.

As far as your remark about my post reeking of dishonesty, that's your usual retort when you lack the intellectual resources to adequately addess the topic. There is nothing dishonest in either the material I posted or in my remarks.I don't need to be deceptive--unlike you, I can hold my own in discussion without needing to resort to distortion the way you do.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 10:22 pm
@firefly,
Quote:

Saying that a longitudinal study of over 2500 children, each followed over 2 years, with statistically significant results indicating that spanking increases a child's aggressive behaviors is "a lot of nothing"--with no substantive critique of the study to support that comment--suggests you just can't acknowledge the negative effects of spanking on a child's development. And this particular study was very well designed and executed and corrected for methodological flaws in earlier studies which had found similar results.

I would be more interested in seeing a study that found that less frequent spankings were truly bad for you. A large percentage of those studied in the study you cited spanked their child more than once a month (or had done so in the last month) and I have little doubt that kids who get spanked all the time do indeed grow up more violent.

However, I was punished in this way maybe 5-10 times in my entire life - only when I had really fucked up something I knew better, and was old enough to understand it. Hitting children who are 3 or 4 years old is a whole different taco than disciplining a 7+ year old.

Cycloptichorn
firefly

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 11:09 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
I would be more interested in seeing a study that found that less frequent spankings were truly bad for you. A large percentage of those studied in the study you cited spanked their child more than once a month (or had done so in the last month) and I have little doubt that kids who get spanked all the time do indeed grow up more violent.

About 26% spanked the most often, but they were compared to groups who spanked less often or who did not spank at all--about 50% of the children were in the group which were not spanked.
Quote:

nearly half (45.6%) reported not spanking their 3-year-olds in the previous month, 27.9% reported spanking once or twice that month, and 26.5% reported spanking more than twice. As 5-year-olds, the children who had been spanked were more likely than the nonspanked to be defiant, demand immediate satisfaction of their wants and needs, become frustrated easily, have temper tantrums and lash out physically against other people or animals.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1983895,00.html

Quote:
I would be more interested in seeing a study that found that less frequent spankings were truly bad for you.

What makes you think any study would even yield such a result? If a parent uses alternate methods of discipline, rather than physical punishment, what bad effect on the child would you expect to find?
Quote:
Hitting children who are 3 or 4 years old is a whole different taco than disciplining a 7+ year old.

Agreed. But someone who uses spankings on a 3 year old is likely to continue using it as the child gets older. Some parents spank infants.
With children 7+ there are even more alternate means of discipline, rather than spanking, than can be used with a 3 year old. The older child is less impulsive, and better cognitively developed, and other means can be more easily used to modify behavior. Children in the pre-adolescent age group actually generally respond better to reward, positive reinforcement, and positive incentive, than they do to punishment as behavior modifiers. With teens, punishment of some type, but not spanking, tends to be more effective in modifying behavior.

The literature is pretty consistent regarding the negative effects of spanking. But there is room for debate and discussion. This is a good, easy to read summary article with lots of references.
http://www.parentingscience.com/spanking-children.html

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 12:34 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
I'm not answering for Bill or anyone but myself but this equating "spanking" to beating, abuse or torture is simply ridiculous.

My mother used to hit us with a wooden spoon but she held back so much the "raps" weren't even painful. Yet we knew she was mad and had pushed her too far. We didn't want to push her to the point where she might really let loose with the spoon, so we stopped
the unruly behavior that angered her. This was of course after she peacefully told us to knock it off.
Yeah; among my very earliest memories (I can remember my 3rd birthday) was my mother
commenting on other parents hitting their kids; she said that she preferred reasoning.
We reasoned. It worked. My mother was logical; good powers of articulation. We reasoned well together.
I respected my mother 's powers of analysis.
For instance, when I was 6, I had a GIGANTIC jurisdictional challenge in my mind
against school n attendance thereof. I remember asking my mother:
"WHERE in the hell do THAY get the right to have ME go over THERE??"
whereupon my mother explained the value of education and I had to agree (however grudgingly).

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
My father would occasionally spank us in the form of a mild cuff on the back of the head.
It didn't hurt so much as it shocked, and it did the trick.
We stopped whatever it was we were doing...after we ignored the verbal commands.
I think that sometimes, that might become necessary, depending on the circumstances.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
My parents were "enlightened liberals" in the sense of what that meant 50 years ago: Stevenson and Kennedy liberals.
My parents supported n loved Franklin Roosevelt. I never did.
Eventually, I won my mother over to conservative Republicanism.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
My father made a point of talking to us like adults and encouraged us to disagree with him
when we talked about the news or history at the dinner table.
In my family, all of my relatives spoke to children that way. There was only one way to talk to anyone.
I have always applied that principle of social contact,
including taking testimony from children in court.
I never talked down to anyone, so far as I can remember.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
More times than not he ignored comments like "That's stupid Dad,"
In arguing with anyone of any age, I 've seldom
commented on stupidity so much as pointing out the flaw in question;
like: "O, yeah?? Then how come yada, yada, yada ?"

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
or "You're completely wrong!"
There 's nothing rong with telling anyone that he 's rong (if he IS).

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Every once in a while though he didn't ignore them, and would lash out with a punch to the arm that would knock me off my chair. It was always me taking the blow because a) I had the smartest mouth, and b) My older brother got the seat at the table that was out of Dad's reach.

It was never predictable, it just happened. He was a drinker, but I could never detect a connection. Unlike my mother, my father was actually a nicer guy when he drank.

It would hurt like he'll and I would cry and bruise, but it was so infrequent and random that I can't say I ever felt like my father was a beater.

For what ever mad reason he exploded, he certainly wasn't spanking me or trying to correct my behavior. It was a brutal, angry reaction that obviously was wrong.

So, I know the difference between a spanking and a beating (even if it was a one punch beating).

I hit my daughter one time in her life and it was an involuntary reaction. She was 15 and I was trying to referee a fight between her and her mother when suddenly she shouted "I hate this ******* family!" Next thing I knew I had slapped her in the face.
Well, sometimes people 's emotions get the better of them.
Live n learn. Try to keep better control.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
I can't say it was a spanking, but it wasn't really a beating either. It stung, I'm sure but I had, without, thinking pulled back and it wasn't even half a swing. He cheek got a little rosy, but no finger marks or bruising of any kind. She was astonished because it was the first time I had ever spanked or hit her. It made a big impression, and she later apologized profusely. She also never said anything like that again (at least not in front of me).

I don't know what to call that action, because it wasn't premeditated. It just happened, but I didn't feel guilty about it and it certainly didn't scar my daughter physically or mentally.
U know, I remember 1ce my girlfriend at the time, Maralyn, tried to provoke me to hit her.
First, she was very personally insulting and then from the look on her face
and the way that she was holding her body, I saw that she was like
daring me. I was certain that she tried to make me lose my composure,
relinquishing reason in favor of emotion, but I foxed her.
I just laffed it off n left her standing there.
Presumably, she 'd have sued me (with good reason) for assault n battery,
if I had fallen for that. I joked with her mother about that.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
The boys would get mild cuffs to the back of their head or the occasional Vulcan Death Grip,
Grabbing the carotid arteries ?

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
whenever ( like me and my brother) they didn't listen to me or their mother. It always worked and again,
neither of them are the worse for it.

That, in my mind, is "spanking" and not beating or abuse. I can't say that I wasn't angry most of the time I spanked them,
but I obviously wasn't allowing my anger to overrule my reason as had the case with my father.
Yeah; its a troublesome subject.
I remember 1ce I felt sorry for Maralyn when she returned home
from shopping with her 4 year old daughter (no genetic relation to me).
She described how her child, Nancy, had been repeatedly troublesome
in the store, such that Maralyn swatted her 1ce on the butt
and another customer (male) shouted something threatening at her
about child abuse. I 'm pleased to be able to say that I never even THAWT
of hitting any of my girlfriends' children, but thay never gave me any
reason to object to them.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
I feel a lot more guilty about some of the tongue lashings I gave my oldest son (who could test the patience of a saint,
and was defiance personified) than I do about the cuffing and grips. In fact I don't feel any guilt about them.
Well, u had the right to argue your point of vu.
U have free speech.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
If there are parents out there who never spank or yell at their kids
and have wonderfully behaved little men and women, then God bless them:
They are either saints or their kids are Stepford children.

I sure as hell wasn't the perfect father, but when I see my adult children today,
I know my wife and I did something right..
I remember a beautiful sight that I beheld in the 1990s
at a summer resort in Upstate NY. I was in its hot tub, when 2 boys,
less than 10 years old, entered the tub, soon followed by their father,
a very tall man, the best part of 7 feet tall.
I saw him speak to them very kindly n gently for quite a while.
I 'd never seen the like of it. Later in the day, I told him so.

I think that there 's a lot to be said for kindness.
I 'm sure that his boys will think of him n remember him with fondness
and will probably, in their turn, be good fathers to their own children.
He showed them how to do it.

David
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 12:53 am
@OmSigDAVID,
You were using the word "hell" at 6 years old??!! Those parents of yours must be been very progressive.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 12:56 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
You were using the word "hell" at 6 years old??!!
Of course, Y not??
I lived in NY; whatayaexpect ?????

hawkeye10 wrote:
Those parents of yours must be been very progressive.
Progressing toward WHAT??

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 01:22 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
You were using the word "hell" at 6 years old??!!
Those parents of yours must be been very progressive.
I don 't remember that I ever discussed hell with my parents.
I 'm pretty sure that did not happen.

David
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 07:00 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
which is what the research results offer

Research that no rational person would give any credit is all that so far been offer on this thread.

Kind of remind me of the period of time where "researchers" working for the tobacco companies would public papers on how smoking was not harmful to your health.
BillRM

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 07:07 am
@spendius,
Quote:
people who have assaulted a kid in the past and are trying to justify it and the anti-spankers just think that assaulting kids is disgusting.

Spanking equal assault is not the current law in the US and an emotional argument.

Of course that is the aim of the anti-spanking people on this group to turn the majority of parents into criminals because they do not care for spankings and wish to interfere with how the majority of people raised their own children by the force of the law.
BillRM

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 07:10 am
@Ceili,
Quote:
video of a Texas judge whip his daughter and call it discipline, both parents were angry and out of control.

An the judge actions is a crime under current law not a legal spanking so good try to bring in the good judge as a valid argument against spanking.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 07:15 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Of course that is the aim of the anti-spanking people on this group to turn the majority of parents into criminals because they do not care for spankings and wish to interfere with how the majority of people raised their own children by the force of the law.

Bullshit. That's as idiotic as Chicken Little's claim about an "anti-spanking lobby." Nobody here started threads decrying spanking--Chicken Little started this thread, and you jumped in right away with both feet. He has not demonstrated that there is any "anti-spanking lobby" and in fact has ducked the question. You have shown absolutely zero evidence that there are anti-spanking people here who want to "criminalize" people who spank. You're now indulging the same kind of bullshit hysteria for which Chicken Little is famous.

The judge in Texas will very likely not be prosecuted because the statute of limitations has expired on his assault of his daughter.
BillRM

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 07:38 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
zero evidence that there are anti-spanking people here who want to "criminalize" people who spank. You're now indulging the same kind of bullshit hysteria for which Chicken Little is famous.

In using the word assault freely in connection to spankings they are making it clear that they wish to have the society view it as a criminal act of assault

Quote:
The judge in Texas will very likely not be prosecuted because the statute of limitations has expired on his assault of his daughter.

And what hell does the statute of limitation had to do with whether the judge assaulted his daughter or not and broke the criminal law at the time by so doing even if he can not now be charge?

Or how those on this thread are trying to connect such an criminal assault with spankings?
Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 07:54 am
@BillRM,
You have absolutely no basis to assume that anyone here wants to make a criminal of a parent who spanks his or her child. You're indulging hysteria. Once again, no one here who has stated that they oppose spanking started a thread to rant about it. What we have is Chicken Little ranting, and you joining in.

The statute of limitations is relevant because it means that no court will ever examine whether or not it was an assault, or justifiable discipline on the part of the judge.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 07:57 am
@firefly,
That study seems to show the results of the parenting more than the results of spanking.

I'm not surprised that parents who had to resort to spanking ended up with kids who were less well behaved. They're not as effective parents.

But it doesn't necessarily mean that spanking is what causes the behavior problems.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 08:38 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
You have absolutely no basis to assume that anyone here wants to make a criminal of a parent who spanks his or her child. You're indulging hysteria. Once

Give me a break on how dishonest you are being!

Comparing spanking a three years old and slapping a woman and trying to put them on an equal footings is another example of where the anti spanking people wish to go with the laws.

Quote:
means that no court will ever examine whether or not it was an assault, or justifiable discipline on the part of the judge.

The local DA had stated he consider it a crime and at the very least he would had been charge and I do not see where there is must of an issue of if it was a crime or not. Once more you are blowing smoke.
spendius

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 08:43 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
You have absolutely no basis to assume that anyone here wants to make a criminal of a parent who spanks his or her child.

I do. It's assault as far as I'm concerned and more serious than thumping a bloke in a pub.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 09:20 am
@BillRM,
I made no such comparison, so you're being hysterical. I have seen no one here advocate changing laws, so, once again, you're being hysterical.

Opinions by district attorneys do not constitute findings of fact and law. That's why we have judges and juries. Again, you're being hysterical.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 09:23 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
which is what the research results offer

Research that no rational person would give any credit is all that so far been offer on this thread.

you obviously didn't read the research results - as it doesn't say anything like what you've been ranting about