Pro-Life, or Pro-Choice? That's right: Abortion.

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 03:14 pm
Well, I've gone about as far as I can go with my other threads, so now it's time to push another hot-button.

The hot-button this time: Abortion.

I make it no secret, I am Pro-Choice. I believe that if a woman does not want to bear a child, she has the right to end her pregnancy. I also believe that person-hood begins at birth rather than conception.

Think about this: A woman is raped. She gets pregnant as a result of that rape. She doesn't want to have that reminder of her misfortune (putting it mildly) hanging around over her head and in her body for nine months. Should she be forced to? I don't think so.

Here's another one: The foster care system is over-crowded with unwanted children that never end up getting adopted. As a result, there are foster homes out there that are, shall we say, less than ideal for these youngsters. Should we force more children into these and end up having a bunch of degenerates roaming the streets and threatening our communities? I know that the chances of this are slim, but they do exist, so I say no. We shouldn't force that life onto our future.

And yet another one: Say a woman who is not as well-off as others gets unexpectedly pregnant. She won't have the money for the trip to the emergency room when the time comes and doesn't want to give birth in less-than-decent conditions. Not only that, but whatever job she might have doesn't exactly support pregnancy and she can't exactly get a different job. She makes enough to be able end the pregnancy if she so chooses. Should she stick it out till birth and lose her job, house, and ability to feed and clothe herself as a result? Again, I say no.

I'm sure there are other examples out there, but these are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head.

Bearing these examples in mind, do my fellow internet denizens view me as a sick, evil bastard for being Pro-Choice?

thack45

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 03:56 pm
@RexDraconis111,
RexDraconis111 wrote:

Bearing these examples in mind, do my fellow internet denizens view me as a sick, evil bastard for being Pro-Choice?
Tell you what... I won't judge you for being pro-choice if you don't judge me for genuinely not caring what women (or men, for that matter) do to their bodies.
RexDraconis111

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 05:35 pm
@thack45,
You'll get no judgment from me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 05:39 pm
Maintain choice.
I understand the push for men to have half the say, but still take it as the woman's choice in the end, between the woman and her doctor.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 05:41 pm
@RexDraconis111,
Abstaining from comment as this subject has been dredged, buried, re-dredged, reburied about 20 times already. You can read through most of the arguments that everyone that's come through here in the last 10 years has on this subject.
firefly

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 05:50 pm
@RexDraconis111,
Quote:
I am Pro-Choice. I believe that if a woman does not want to bear a child, she has the right to end her pregnancy

I agree.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 05:55 pm
And I agree with Firefly
0 Replies

shernia

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 08:46 pm
@RexDraconis111,
She has the right, she is the mother. We need to respect her decision of abortion.
chai2

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 08:57 pm
@RexDraconis111,
RexDraconis111 wrote:

I also believe that person-hood begins at birth rather than conception.

A lot of time passes between conception and birth. There's a big difference between a zygote and a full term pregnancy.

Are you saying you do not believe that 10 minutes before a womans labor pains start, that is not a person?

If so, how do you justify that, since obviously the fetus by that point feels pain, responds to stimulus and has a brain that thinks in exactly the same way it will in a few hours?

Oh, and don't flatter yourself, as far as anyone thinking anything negative about you because of of your opinion.
thack45

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 09:06 pm
@shernia,
shernia wrote:

She has the right, she is the mother. We need to respect her decision of abortion.
I'm all for people making their own decisions. However I would strongly suggest to any woman who considers herself a "mother" of something growing inside of her that she not have that thing terminated.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 09:35 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

RexDraconis111 wrote:

A lot of time passes between conception and birth. There's a big difference between a zygote and a full term pregnancy.

Are you saying you do not believe that 10 minutes before a womans labor pains start, that is not a person?

If so, how do you justify that, since obviously the fetus by that point feels pain, responds to stimulus and has a brain that thinks in exactly the same way it will in a few hours?

Oh, and don't flatter yourself, as far as anyone thinking anything negative about you because of of your opinion.
This whole "person-hood" idea is to my mind more political than anything else... forcing people in to one camp or the other - as though it would really be that simple.

These unscrupulous, political fuckhead tactics which compel some people to think in such linear terms are to me far more loathsome than any individual considering something like abortion could ever be.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2011 11:49 pm
@RexDraconis111,
I support defensive freedom from any parasite.
I always have; I always will.

David
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2011 12:05 am
@thack45,
Spot on! They want to control other people's lives by talking about " personhood," but when it comes down to what happens to that "person" becomes - that's your problem. They ignore natural abortion, infanticide in India and China, and the highest rate of abortion in Vietnam. They are very selective in which "personhood" they wish to "save." Why? Because they are the worst of hippocrites on this planet.
0 Replies

RexDraconis111

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2011 09:22 am
@chai2,
Quote:
Re: RexDraconis111 (Post 4788843)
RexDraconis111 wrote:

If so, how do you justify that, since obviously the fetus by that point feels pain, responds to stimulus and has a brain that thinks in exactly the same way it will in a few hours?...

Good point. In light of this I will revise my belief to fit.
0 Replies

RexDraconis111

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2011 09:25 am
@Questioner,
Quote:
Abstaining from comment as this subject has been dredged, buried, re-dredged, reburied about 20 times already. You can read through most of the arguments that everyone that's come through here in the last 10 years has on this subject.

Despite the constant re-dredging of this subject, I'm doing it again.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 05:52 pm
@RexDraconis111,
No, I just see you as confused.
djjd62

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 05:54 pm
@RexDraconis111,
abortions for all i say, mandatory abortions, retroactive abortions, lets have an abortionpalooza
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2011 06:08 pm
@djjd62,
Twisted Evil
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 01:02 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
abortions for all i say, mandatory abortions, retroactive abortions, lets have an abortionpalooza
Booth executed a retroactive abortion on Lincoln.
0 Replies

RexDraconis111

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2011 08:56 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Quote:
No, I just see you as confused.

Please elaborate. Confused about what, other than your reply?
0 Replies