Herman Cain accused of 'sexually suggestive behaviour'

ossobuco

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 05:56 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

All successful black conservatives are a threat to the left as they give lie to the left-wing trope that all concervatives are racist. To preserve this favored attack line, they need to paint the black conservative as an Uncle Tom or House N*gger.

This is pooh flinging, Finn. You can do better.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 06:20 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Sorry no one would be happier then the democrats if the GOP ran Cain for President even if he was clean so it is highly unlikely that the dirt is flying at him from them.

Now here is more dirt that is flying out at him.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Elections/President/2011/1031/Herman-Cain-To-sexual-harassment-allegations-add-financial-ones

But perhaps just as damaging to Cain is a report in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, also published Sunday, which asserts that two of his top campaign aides ran a private nonprofit group that may have improperly helped get Cain’s campaign started.

One of the aides at the heart of this inquiry is Mark Block, a Wisconsinite now famous for a Cain campaign Web ad in which he smokes a cigarette. Mr. Block and the campaign’s deputy chief of staff, Linda Hansen, founded the Wisconsin-based group Prosperity USA, now at the center of questions over whether it improperly paid for some early Cain campaign expenses.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel obtained internal financial documents showing that the Cain campaign owed Prosperity USA $37,372, mostly for travel expenses but also for the purchase of iPads. It wasn’t clear if the money had been reimbursed; such expenditures might be a violation of federal law, the paper said.

Block told the Washington Post in an e-mail Monday that the campaign has asked “outside counsel to investigate the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel’s suggestions and may comment, if appropriate, when that review is completed.”

In addition, Block was the subject of a Huffington Post piece published Friday that reported he was banned from running Wisconsin political campaigns for three years in the early 2000s after he was accused of illegally coordinating a state Supreme Court justice’s reelection campaign with a special-interest group that favored school vouchers.

0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 06:37 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
The nature of the story:

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/10/31/revealed-cain-describes-hand-gesture-that-led-to-harassment-claim-update-small-settlement-says-cain/
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 07:45 pm
@ossobuco,
You're from L.A.?

Why didn't you tell me that from the outset ossu? I never would have tried passing off tripe to you if I knew you were that hip!

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 09:23 pm
@kuvasz,
Pal-o-mine, I just saw Rove on TV and based on how he was sneering at Cain's "amateurish" response to these charges, I'm afraid I have to say you just might be right about him being the source.

I still can't stand the way the Left responds to black conservatives, but I have to admit that listening to Rove I got the strong impression that if he wasn't behind the story (and he may very well be), he's quite content that it broke.

Sickening.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 09:48 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
You appear to see the color as the issue, whatever the charges. Not much can be done for you there. Cain does not dispute he was accused, or that the accusers got paid off, instead of faced in a court.
BillRM

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 09:49 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
but I have to admit that listening to Rove I got the strong impression that if he wasn't behind the story (and he may very well be), he's quite content that it broke.

Sickening.

Hardly sickening Cain need to be taken out of the race by the GOP leadership as soon as possible for the good of that party chances in 2012 of winning the White House.

Right now he is sucking up fundings and taking attention of the news media away from candidates that might barely had a chance against Obama.

As I keep saying no one on the Democratic side had any reason to knock him out of the race.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 10:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
I do see color as an issue, but not in terms of the sexual harrassment charges.

You're absolutely right that Cain doesn't dispute that he was accused or that there was a settlement. Does that, in your mind, signify that the accusations are true?

Anyone can be accused of sexual harrassment - the Duke lacrosse team was accused of much worse.

Cases are settled every day because companies don't want the negative press or to pay high legal fees, even though the accusations may be entirely false.

Cain's a novice when it comes to the rough and tumble world of presidential politics and he hasn't handled the charges as well as he could have, so maybe this affair will end his brief stint as the frontrunner.

I don't know that I would vote for Cain in a primary, but, assuming he's telling the truth, it will be a shame if someone who isn't a career politician is knocked out of the race because he's not slick and experienced enough to properly deal with a media feeding frenzy.

It's a real shame that liberals (black and white) not only feel the need to attack him on the basis of race, they are able to justify it to themselves.
Ceili

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 11:10 pm
Finn, can you imagine if the democrats backed a candidate like Cain? The right would have a field day...
BillRM

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 11:22 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
If he is not smooth enough to win he should be knock out and I hear a little bit of an interview where he was ask how he could have the government force his granddaughter to carry a child to term if she had been a rape victim.

He was not smooth at all.....................
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 12:09 am
God I hope that Cain get to run for President for the GOP here is were he even confused the fox network people.

Abortion should be both illegal and the woman choice at the same time.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 04:15 am
Finn: You're absolutely right that Cain doesn't dispute that he was accused or that there was a settlement. Does that, in your mind, signify that the accusations are true?

It creates an aura of suspended belief, because he did not fight back.

0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 06:38 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Anyone can be accused of sexual harrassment - the Duke lacrosse team was accused of much worse.

Cases are settled every day because companies don't want the negative press or to pay high legal fees, even though the accusations may be entirely false.

NPR had a corporate HR expert on yesterday saying the exact same thing, that it is often better to settle and avoid the PR that comes with a trial than fight it out even if they have a good case.

I'm not sure this is a negative for Cain. He can say the "liberals" and the "main stream media" are out to get him, arguments the enthusiastic Republican primary voters are completely down with.

That said, this really doesn't matter. Cain is not going to be the Republican candidate. His policies are all over the place, his "tax plan" is ridiculous, his social beliefs are pretty far out of the mainstream. We still have a few months of silliness, but Romney seems to have won by default. It's hard to get spun up over Cain's foibles when they mean so little in the big scheme of things.
revelette

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 07:36 am
@engineer,
Quote:
That said, this really doesn't matter. Cain is not going to be the Republican candidate. His policies are all over the place, his "tax plan" is ridiculous, his social beliefs are pretty far out of the mainstream. We still have a few months of silliness, but Romney seems to have won by default. It's hard to get spun up over Cain's foibles when they mean so little in the big scheme of things.

agreed.

Off the subject, the very fact that it is easy to make accusations, make them harder to be believed when they are actually the truth. A vicious circle.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 09:34 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
I mention this because part of my thinking is "what presidential candidate would knowingly go into it with this sort of blot on his record?" As a reason it's unlikely to be true I mean. But then I think, "a presidential candidate who expected to remain second-tier throughout rather than leading the polls at any time."

Ryan Lizza agrees:

Quote:
In previous elections, these fringe candidates have never come close to becoming serious contenders. They run to push the ideological debate further to the right or left and to make a name for themselves in the process. If they are lucky, they end up with some notoriety, a new national fundraising base, and perhaps a show on cable TV. These types of fringe candidates don’t truly prepare for the absurdities and difficulties of a Presidential campaign because in their heart of hearts they never believed they would make it very far.

Herman Cain has made it, and the result is akin to a dog catching a car.

(Emphasis mine.)

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2011/10/the-fringe-frontrunner.html
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 12:02 pm
@Ceili,
Depends upon what you mean when you say "like Cain?"

He's black, but the right wouldn't hold that against him.

He's a conservative, and the right actually appreciates that.

He's made a few gaffes? Yes, the Republicans would make as much hay out of those gaffes as they could.

He's been accused of sexual harrassment by media source that relies on unnamed sources? Yes, there too I'm afraid the Republicans would probably stir the pot about it, but I'm not sure what your point is: Two wrongs make a right?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 12:03 pm
@engineer,
While in practical terms you may be right, it doesn't excuse Politico's smear journalism.
engineer

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 12:23 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I don't see it as "smear journalism." Politico reported the facts pretty much straight up. Are you arguing they should have buried the story? This was two formal complaints against a candidate while he was in a position of power which resulted in settlements. This is not some woman making an unsupported allegation years after the event (think Paula Jones). While I don't see the settlement as an admission of guilt, I don't think you can say this is a non-story and Politico should have buried it. If they had, someone would certainly accuse them of doing so either because of a political or racial motive. Assuming Cain gets the nomination, bringing this out now helps him later on since takes away a timebomb that would have come up later.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 12:23 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

He's black, but the right wouldn't hold that against him.

Of course they will. Just look at the makeup of your party's elected officials nationwide: over 99% white.

Cycloptichorn
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2011 12:34 pm
@engineer,
There was no need to gild the lilly with comments from unnamed sources.
0 Replies