Racist costumes being banned

High Seas

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 11:14 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I agree that wearing "black face" is intrinsically offensive.

Why? Dressing in a costume without matching makeup / hairdo etc makes no sense.
Setanta

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 11:15 am
@shewolfnm,
Hehehehehehehehe . . .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 11:24 am
I object to black-face makeup for whites, because it is still too soon after Jim Crow for such things, regardless of the wearer's motive. I have not been reading many posts here, so I am not filled in on the arguments going on. Just wanted to say.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 11:27 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

[HolyJeez, Setanta - tell Chai I apologize for calling her chicky.

Speak for yourself John Alden.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 11:29 am
@High Seas,
I see no point in responding if you really need to have that explained to you.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 11:33 am
My LA friends and I have called each other chica, which among many other meanings (see urban dictionary.com) means girlfriend. Depending on tone, I wouldn't always take 'chicky' as a taunt/insulting. Like chica, it can be taken in different ways, far as I know.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 11:51 am
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/384107_311830085500933_100000218335181_1455781_1520957752_n.jpg
How's this for politically incorrect?
Mame

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 11:56 am
It'd be real hard to communicate that you're Jimi Hendrix or Bob Marley without doing something to your skin (not to mention hair) if you're white. Last year I went as Holly GoLightly and did the works (dress, hair, pearls, etc). You can't do it halfway.

If I were going to dress up as a black person, I think I'd be Tina Turner Smile Love that woman!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 12:05 pm
I am remembering a few years back when Mad Men did some black face....it was the one time where I have seen very many comments that the show went too far to represent the 1960's. This is clearly a powerful issue for some, it made people UNCOMFORTABLE. The second most commented issue was the date rape of Joan by Greg, but I noticed few comments claiming that it should have been omitted. Joan's later date rape by Roger gained less attention.

It is astounding to me that the show got more grief for doing black face than it has for doing what we now call rape, of which there have been at least three so far (adding in Pete taking possession of the Au Pair next door).
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 12:25 pm
@Setanta,
Damn. Word.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 12:28 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Bullshit, you snide jerk. I took offense on my own behalf. Your epithet was disgustingly misogynistic.

Bullshit, you nasty blowhard. You tried to be the white knight because it was chai, not because you're the defender of all things gender insensitive.
chai2

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 12:31 pm
@snood,
You're wrong there snood.

snood

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 12:35 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I suppose I'll just have to take your word for it, being as unbiased an observer of the situation as you are.
chai2

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 12:55 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

chai2 wrote:

I suppose I'll just have to take your word for it, being as unbiased an observer of the situation as you are.

Is that supposed to be another "joke"?

You don't need to just take my word for it snood.

set and I have no special relationship that he would feel he has to either "come to my rescue", use me personally as a pawn to futher his arguement, or do anything just because it's me.

I've seen him do similar things for people that are not regular posters here, or for people he seems to either like or dislike.

If I ever felt that set was picking me out in particular, in any way, I wouldn't be comfortable with that, unless it was just a passing comment in a particular thread.
I'm nothing to him, and he's nothing to me, beyond reading each others posts.

You've made this thread what it's become by making stuff up, and now you don't like it.
That's not some astute or sophisticated comment, and there's no ulterior motive, agenda or desire to peck at each other.

You come here, calling people names, throwing in racist stereotypes that weren't even part of the original post, or pictures, then imply someone isn't smart enough, or with it, to understand you were joking, or being ironic. Then you turn around and and can't decide if someone else is being ironic, but that's ok.

Did you just come here for a fight? Or did you want to discuss the topic?

Why does it almost always have to be an argument with you?
Just stop it, ok?

Stop it and stop looking for hate that isn't there.

I'm putting you on ignore snood, at least for awhile. I don't have anything in particular against you, this isn't some threat, punishment or warning. I just can't resist reading someone's posts if I can see them, and there's just no reason to continue this counterproductive talk with you.
I'm sure I'll take you back off ignore, not like you care. I just don't feel like wasting my virtual breath right now.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 01:10 pm
@snood,
Liar.

Whiner.

Asshole..
snood

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 01:20 pm
Quote:
You've made this thread what it's become by making stuff up, and now you don't like it.

I freely admitted that I embellished the original costume by adding watermelon and fried chicken.

I didn't "make this thread" anything. I commented on a costume I thought was offensive (what the thread is about), and you took it on yourself to try to parse what should and shouldn't be offensive or 'pc'. You seem to think highly of your own openmindedness and clarity on such things, and not much of mine. We differ on that too.

I'm willing to drop it now like you said you were willing to before Setanta the
Good came and stuck his fat mouth into it to defend your honor. But I also have time to answer back if you want to keep lobbing your criticisms.
snood

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 01:21 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Liar.

Whiner.

Asshole..

coward.

bully.

prick.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 01:22 pm
stupid

pointless

juvenile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 01:25 pm
@snood,
Oh, Snood's been bullied . . . poor bay-bee . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 01:26 pm
@snood,
Once again, asshole, i made my comment because your misogyny (equivalent to racism) was offensive to me. It had nothing to do with Chai's "honor." What a pathetic whiner you are.