Racist costumes being banned

maxdancona

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 10:07 am
@Setanta,
I took Snood's post as apt ironic sarcasm.
snood

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 10:11 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

So you're here to objecct to the portrayal of black people (complete with red herrings about watermelon and fried chicken), and you address Chai as "chicky?" I guess at your house, sauce for the goose does not make sauce for the gander.

Whatever boss.
snood

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 10:12 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I took Snood's post as apt ironic sarcasm.

Oh Lord, give me ever deeper appreciation of irony. Amen.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 10:14 am
@snood,
What do you expect from a bunch of bitchy little girls.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 10:18 am
The frustrating part of this whole discussion is the idea that people shouldn't be allowed to take offense.

Expressing your disapproval, or explaining why you find something insulting, is a core part free speech. The real irony is that the "anti-political-correctness" crowd are more censorious than the people they call "politically correct".

Setanta

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 10:24 am
@snood,
Exactly . . . you've got you own aggressive and resentful agenda, and you're not going to be bothered to show others the same consideration you're stridently demanding yourself. One must say and do nothing which might even remotely offend your sense of racial sensitivity, but you can address others on the basis of gender as it pleases you.

Can you say hypocrite?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 10:25 am
@maxdancona,
Apt? Chai deserves to be addressed in a belittling manner because she doesn't agree with Snood that the image which made him irate was actually belittling? You and i must not define apt in the same way.
Setanta

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 10:27 am
@maxdancona,
I have a lower and lower opinion of your ability to deploy logic. If Snood has a right to take offense at something someone else posted which he considers to have insulting racist overtones, why would i not have a right to take offense at something he posts which i consider to have insulting sexist overtones? You get a big fail on logic there, Bubba.

You needn't consider me to be a part of any crowd with regard to political recitude by the way, pro- or anti- . . . you don't know me, and you haven't been around long enough to form a reasonable judgment of my attitudes.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 10:30 am
@Setanta,
Thumbs up for Setanta; he may be damn liar,
but he IS able to reason.

David
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 10:44 am
@Setanta,
It's perfectly consistent. I am arguing that everyone has the right to take, and to express, offense. I have never said that you don't have the right to take offense to what Snood or I or anyone else has said. Quite the contrary.

Expressing your opinion that something is racist, and trying to spark a discussion about it, is a great thing to do. This type of discussion is a core part of a democratic society.

I am simply saying that trying to prevent people from expressing their opinions is a great example of political rectitude.

snood

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 10:46 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Apt? Chai deserves to be addressed in a belittling manner because she doesn't agree with Snood that the image which made him irate was actually belittling? You and i must not define apt in the same way.

HolyJeez, Setanta - tell Chai I apologize for calling her chicky.

And I wasn't irate -

And I still think that white folks wearing blackface for Halloween is intrinsically offensive.
chai2

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 10:49 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

You engaged me, chicky - remember? You were trying to get me to qualify what was objectionable and what isn't, remember? You wanna drop it now, fine.

I was (trying to get you to qualify)?

No, I don't remember that. Do you mean when I asked you what you found objectionable about someone dressed as a black person, sans fried chicken and watermelon, when it was the chicken and watermelon that is what would have made it objectionable?

The question that you didn't answer? Which you never did qualify?

Or are you referring to when you asked if I was able to understand why a costume would be objectionable, and I answered? Which I did qualify?

I suppose if according to max that makes make a bitchy little girl, what does it make a man if questions he asked doesn't get addressed?

Bitchy max? You say that as if that were a bad thing. As jcboy put it, I've been called worse by my kitty cat, when giving him a bath.

Snood, you just go on making jokes, which call people homophobic, or misogynistic names. Go on a add things to a costume that aren't even there.

Because we all know it's ok for you to call someone a faggot, or chickie, or make comments not clear to all that they were meant as a joke, but not ok for someone to wear a sombrero.

And to be clear, this isn't being shrill, listen to this in your head in the way I'm thinking it, which is bored at your usual dragging in the fried chicken and watermelon act.

Not angry, not argumentative, not ironic.

In any event, I think it's fine for someone to go in costume as someone from another country. Be it a serape and sombrero, as a geisha or a Swiss yodler, or even dressed as a pygmy, if you're short enough.

Not Nepoleon though.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 10:50 am
@snood,
I agree that wearing "black face" is intrinsically offensive. I also assert, and i think with good reason, that calling a woman "chicky" is intrinsically offensive.

If you think Chai is entitled to an apology, then apologize to her. I'm not her social secretary.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 10:51 am
@maxdancona,
Expressing your oppinion is always fine, so long as it is the right oppinion. Holding the wrong opponion is a charactor flaw.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 10:52 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I agree that wearing "black face" is intrinsically offensive. I also assert, and i think with good reason, that calling a woman "chicky" is intrinsically offensive.

If you think Chai is entitled to an apology, then apologize to her. I'm not her social secretary.

Sure thing. It was an easy error to make, since it appeared as if you were speaking on her behalf. You took offense for her, so you could take an apology for her.
Thomas

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 10:56 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
The disadvantage of communicating in text - sometimes you miss a tongue held firmly in cheek.

Communicating in costumes comes with the same problem, judging by your reaction to it.
snood

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 10:59 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

snood wrote:
The disadvantage of communicating in text - sometimes you miss a tongue held firmly in cheek.

Communicating in costumes comes with the same problem, judging by your reaction to it.

Well it is a matter of opinion (as is everything on A2K), but I happen to think that a white person wearing a blackface mask is not as difficult to interpret as comedic irony expressed in written word.
Setanta

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 11:03 am
@snood,
Bullshit, you snide jerk. I took offense on my own behalf. Your epithet was disgustingly misogynistic.
High Seas

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 11:10 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
.........Well it is a matter of opinion (as is everything on A2K), but I happen to think that a white person wearing a blackface mask is not as difficult to interpret as comedic irony expressed in written word.

You've heard of theater? Shakespeare? Othello? Laurence Olivier is very generally considered the greatest Othello ever - nobody except YOU would think of taking offense at the blackface. It's called theatrical makeup, look it up sometime:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ufQCTT1AJL0/TSN9ixe9fyI/AAAAAAAABf0/dX3Lxvb5Phw/s1600/Laurence+Olivier+Othello.jpg
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 11:13 am
http://images.thepostgame.com/sites/default/files/7_102611_list_307x208.jpg

Quote:
Best Celeb Tribute
Dwyane Wade

Justin Timberlake: From the flaxen ringlets and shining goatee to the tilted fedora and tailored vest, Wade turns up the heat with his stylish tribute to JT. If you aren't going to look scary for Halloween, you might as well bring sexy back.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/list/201110/athlete-halloween-costume-awards