OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 03:50 pm

How about a Pol Pot costume ?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 04:16 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
That's a good example of taking a reasonable (I think) complaint (against people running around in blackface, talking in broad "Ebonics" while brandishing watermelon or fried chicken, and calling it an "African American costume"), and juxtaposing it with a ridiculous ill-fitting analogy.

There seems to be an interesting cultural difference here. To me, Whites masquerading as Blacks at Halloween or carnival parties (and vice versa) is analogous to men dressing up as women (and vice versa). Do you think women who don't like drag queens would have "a reasonable complaint" along similar lines? If not, how is this any different to you?
snood

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 05:01 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

snood wrote:
That's a good example of taking a reasonable (I think) complaint (against people running around in blackface, talking in broad "Ebonics" while brandishing watermelon or fried chicken, and calling it an "African American costume"), and juxtaposing it with a ridiculous ill-fitting analogy.

There seems to be an interesting cultural difference here. To me, Whites masquerading as Blacks at Halloween or carnival parties (and vice versa) is analogous to men dressing up as women (and vice versa). Do you think women who don't like drag queens would have "a reasonable complaint" along similar lines? If not, how is this any different to you?

Well, in my opinion, men dressing in drag is not analogous at all to whites dressing in blackface. I think perhaps what's lost in the translation between us can be attributed to the difference in our two cultures.
jcboy

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 05:15 pm
@shewolfnm,
Some of this PC crap has gotten out of control.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 05:40 pm
@jcboy,
I find your Facetious and flippant attitude towards this thread JC sickening! Rolling Eyes

I bet if a MacBook Pro laptop dressed up as a Dell XPS, Bill Gates would find that computercist! And justifiably so!

PC's Aka personal computers have feelings to! Mad

Wink
jcboy

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 06:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
But I'm gay. I'm both a culture AND a costume! Wink
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 06:34 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

Some of this PC crap has gotten out of control.

Shut up, faggot.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 06:40 pm
This is an absolutely ridiculous thread. I mean if racist costumes were actually being banned, you all might have a point. I am as uptight about the plight of white people in the US as anyone is.

But did anyone else read the article? No one is banning Halloween costumes.. No one is even talking about banning Halloween costumes. In fact no one in this story wants to ban anything, except for the people here who apparently want to ban posters. These students have a simple goal. They say "... if we can change a few people or make a few people think, then that’s awesome". They aren't banning anything or stopping anybody from doing anything.

This story is about students expressing free speech. They are making posters expressing their opinion. Of course if you want to wear a costume that others find offensive it is free speech. But me complaining about your costume being offensive is also free speech.

Neither should be banned. And that is the way it works. Whether your costume involves black face and a noose, or whether it is a grilled sandwich where I think the cheese is a little too drippy is irrelevant. Free speech is free speech and expressing free speech is actually opposite of the "banning" that is being alleged.

You all have turned this story on it's end.

Mame

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 06:45 pm
@maxdancona,
That's the fun of A2K.

Edit: Maybe I'll dress up as a white with black face gay transgendered woman rapper wearing a sombrero and a geisha outfit.

And snood can dress up as a white pilgrim woman carrying a loaf of bread, surrounded by the Waltons.
MMarciano

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 06:47 pm
@snood,
Who are you JGoldman's daddy?
Mame

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 06:47 pm
@MMarciano,
Yeah, that was rude.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 06:50 pm
@Mame,
It's just the absurdity of it. People who aren't offended by white people in black face produce two pages of outrage over a students making posters asking them to think.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 06:53 pm
Oh, was that not "pc"?
Rockhead

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 06:54 pm
@snood,
in bad taste, or homophobic, depending on where one draws the line...
Mame

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 06:55 pm
@snood,
PC has nothing to do with it, snood. It's just rude. "Shut up" is rude, and calling someone a "faggot" is rude. You must be very upset about this.
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 06:57 pm
@snood,
Perhaps in your mind but I didn’t see anyone posting the N word in the thread, big difference huh Rau'shee, oh sorry, that wasn’t PC either.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 07:01 pm
@snood,
I can't tell if you're kidding, Snood.

edit, I guess not.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 07:03 pm
@snood,
Quote:
Well, in my opinion, men dressing in drag is not analogous at all to whites dressing in blackface. I think perhaps what's lost in the translation between us can be attributed to the difference in our two cultures.

I think we do have to take history into account sometimes. I didn't appreciate Prince Harry dressing as an SS officer on a lark. However, maybe times do change. I have a little cousin (age 8) who wants to go as Willow Smith the way she looks in the hair swinging video. She has very long hair and her mother arranged for her to have it corn rowed and they apparently matched up the outfit seen in the video. Now my little cousin is about as white and freckly as they come and she wanted to use dark foundation makeup to make herself darker, but her mother freaked out a little and said it might make someone mad. My cousin was completely baffled by this and asked if it was because by looking darker people would think she was a kid permitted to use a tanning booth. A good teaching moment as they say. I think we have to ask ourselves when is it okay to move on, in some cases maybe never, but in other situations we might have to take it costume by costume.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 07:05 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

That's the fun of A2K.

Edit: Maybe I'll dress up as a white with black face gay transgendered woman rapper wearing a sombrero and a geisha outfit.

Do you really want to spend THAT MUCH MONEY on costume and makeup Mame? In these troubled recessionary times? Razz
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 07:06 pm
@Green Witch,
"blackface" as it represents old vaudeville is racist.

a white person being made up to look like a black person in and of itself should carry no message of ill intent.

if it does, then equality will never come full circle...