Racist costumes being banned

Thomas

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 07:07 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
Well, in my opinion, men dressing in drag is not analogous at all to whites dressing in blackface. I think perhaps what's lost in the translation between us can be attributed to the difference in our two cultures.

Quite likely. Now what interests me is, if it's not analogous, how is it different? It's Halloween. People are having fun pretending to be other people. We agree that women are an acceptable class of "other people" for men to pretend to be. So how are Blacks an unacceptable class of "other people" for Whites to pretend to be?
jcboy

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 07:09 pm
Oh please I've been called worse by his son, the boy loves me Wink
Thomas

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 07:12 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
in bad taste, or homophobic, depending on where one draws the line...

I think that was Snood's point though. Where does one draw the line between out-of-hand PCness and common courtesy?

Incidentally, I think the gay community took the right approach to invectives by playing jiu-jitsu with them rather than complaining about them. That's how "queer" became a badge of pride, and people who still think it's a pejorative only mark themselves as squares.
Green Witch

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 07:13 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

"blackface" as it represents old vaudeville is racist.

a white person being made up to look like a black person in and of itself should carry no message of ill intent.

if it does, then equality will never come full circle...

As a good liberal, I agree. However, the line can be a thin one and it's sometimes not always obvious if is has been crossed or not. Thus my little cousin will go as her pasty white self.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 07:18 pm
@Thomas,
this is a hot coals area.

snood maybe shoulda invoked a smiley face guy to help his cause...
Mame

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 07:27 pm
@Rockhead,
No, he's just super-sensitive.

If a guy dressed up as a 'broad' or 'hooker' or 'slattern' or 'housewife', I wouldn't take it personally.

I've never dressed as any other race - oh wait - I was a sumo wrestler one year. Won a prize for my home-made costume, too. None of the Japanese I worked with thought anything of it. And I dressed up as one of the docs in the hospital once, too, and he thought it was hilarious. Made me walk around the wards with him for about an hour.

It all gets to be a little too touchy-feely.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 07:28 pm
@Mame,
you're a hooker?

blow me down...

(that's a sailorism. I'm not approaching you for oral relief)
jcboy

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 07:29 pm
@Rockhead,
I was thinking of dressing up like a whore for Hallween but I'm not sure which outfit to pick from my closet.
Mame

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 07:32 pm
@Rockhead,
Smile not in this life. yet.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 07:33 pm
@jcboy,
Post some pics, we can help!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 07:36 pm
@jcboy,
I think you should go as a guy still in the closet. Maybe this one:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRC9GFPk_0wc1X9a45b7pCjwr_fcifUaqxI_J_puYa5ZwKwr6IC7uQkJoDf5w
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 07:41 pm
I was thinkin of wearing just a pair of paper panties and going as a lamb-chop.

Would that offend any sheep among y'all?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 07:43 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
It's Halloween. People are having fun pretending to be other people.

Okay, on reflection, I can see a problem in the context of Halloween. People aren't just having fun pretending to be other people. They are having fun pretending to be monsters. It makes sense that Blacks would resent the implication that they are monsters, lumped together with zombies, vampires, and slasher-movie characters. So I guess the control question is, how about carnival, or other costume parties---any occasion to dress up as someone else that don't have those monster connotations? Do they offend you too, Snood?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2011 07:45 pm
@snood,
I'm sorry, snood. I didn't mean to offend.

I think several of the other posters expressed my feelings about it very well so I'm not going to go on and on about it.

I do remember once asking on here "When did Mexican become a dirty word?" saying that I loved Mexico and Mexicans and I didn't get it. I guess there are other things I don't get too.

My apologies.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 05:15 am
ok.

let me get this straight.

Black people can look at those little goofy kids with their pants around their ankles, 20 dollar fake ass walmart gold chains around their neck, driving 500 dollar junky cars with 3,000 stereos in them, smoking more weed than bob marley and making 10 children while in their twenties alone... and call them a plethora of names and even shun them with the idea that they are an embarrassment to their race...

yet a white person can not dress UP like them to make fun of that mentality ?
Really?

Did you hear that word?
MENTALITY. There is a big difference there.
Its the mentality that is the joke there not the skin color.
There are white kids who do the same thing, act the same way, look JUST as idiotic and people who make their costumes look just like them. But...its only wrong if its portraying a BLACK person? How stupid.

And its only wrong to portray a black person with a watermelon , or even dress up in slave costume because black is the only race victim there is (snark) , but to dress up with a mullet, stained white t-shirt, black out a few teeth, and talk about beating your wife to be a 'hillbilly' isnt wrong? Oh yeah.. thats right. Its a joke about white people...thats not wrong, thats just in fun.

0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 05:22 am
@Green Witch,
Lol Marcus is such a big M0!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 07:04 am
@Green Witch,
Agreed - most children have had the wonderful opportunity to be ignorant of racism - she wanted to innocently look like Willow Smith if anything it is a compliment to Willow Smith. She has dark skin so logically if you wanted to look like her, you'd want to darken your skin.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 07:06 am
@Mame,
Once as a charity raising event, we were going to have those sumo wrestling outfits (you know those fake big puffy ones) and have people go at it at work. At the last minute it was canceled so as to offend anyone.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 07:24 am
I think the only costume left available is the lawyer costume, not because it isn't offensive, because no one gives a s&*t.
Linkat

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 07:40 am
@wayne,
Except lawyers
0 Replies