Racist costumes being banned

snood

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 04:58 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

snood wrote:

Quote:
I hope the day is arriving that to know the why of this you'd have to look it up, and the reaction would be "that was weird"

I hope we someday have total equality among mankind, and all men live in peace.

Yeah well, that's not going to happen.

At least my hope is obtainable.

Seriously dude, total equality, and all men living in peace? Hoping for something that is not in not only human nature, but the nature of any living creature, is just words at best, and setting yourself up for failure.

Hope and more importantly, work toward something that can happen.

The disadvantage of communicating in text - sometimes you miss a tongue held firmly in cheek.
chai2

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 05:14 pm
I don't know why you think my thoughts were anywhere near as unobtainable as "peace on earth"

Linkat has for intance already said her daughters would more than likely have that reaction if told "chicken and watermelon are negative stereotypes about blacks" and I do believe Gracie, a bit older, a young teen would think it weird also.

I can remember learning things about my parents day, things that were different when I was growing up, and thinking the equiv. of "that's weird" because even then "the world has moved on gunslinger".

As far as I know, my parents said "colored" for blacks. My generation had completely bypassed "negro" and caught the very tail end of "afro-american"
They all sound weird to me, and I can't understand why someone would choose to be called that. But they did.

Now I'm probably out of touch. I'm still not sure if I should say black or african american. AA doesn't sound weird to me, it just takes up too many syllables in my mouth, so I say black. That is, until on the odd occassions a person gets their chonys up their cracks and sniffed "I prefer AA". Fine, that's what I'll say to them if the need arises.

Ya just gotta go with the flow, joe.

Not racist, but I always feel strange calling myself Mrs. even though I am married. Just feels stilted to me.
snood

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 05:21 pm
@chai2,
Damn, chai - it was a frikkin JOKE! OF COURSE I know we're not about to have peace on earth and goodwill toward men - I thought it was so obviously over the top that ANYONE would get it!!!
chai2

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 05:49 pm
@snood,
But that's not at all what I was saying in my last post snood.

I'm asking why my hope isn't obtainable, as it seems to be happening already.
snood

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 06:21 pm
@chai2,
who said it wasn't obtainable?
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 10:01 pm
More spice for the broth...

An assistant professor of sociology at Iowa State University believes that "dressing girls like grown women for Halloween communicates that they have the sexuality of adults, in the bodies of children."

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/28/living/sexy-costumes-kids/index.html?&hpt=hp_c2

Is this more PC gone wild or does it change the equation a bit?
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 10:22 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
An assistant professor of sociology at Iowa State University believes that "dressing girls like grown women for Halloween communicates that they have the sexuality of adults, in the bodies of children.

That means that dressing little boys like grown men for Halloween communicates that they have the sexuality of adults, in the bodies of children....right? If not then why the double standard?
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 10:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
Your theoretical sentiment makes sense if you don't take into the account of the substance of the actual costumes.

Boys tend to choose scary costumes of monsters or if they choose to pick a adult mentor or hero costume (fire fighter, police, military, etc...) the costumes are straight and narrow and without any hint of sexuality.

But for some reason, adult women have (choose) to dress up in some highly exaggerated and oversexualized versions of whatever they are trying to mimic in costume form no matter if it's a real life character or fictional fantasy character.
Eg: sexy police officer (where a real police woman wouldn't be wearing daisy duke shorts as her uniform); sexy fire fighter (where a real female fire fighter would wear a shirt and bulky fire resistant jacket and not merely a glorified bra); a sexy witch; a sexy zombie (oxymoronic?); a sexy construction worker; etc.... All these costumes being a variation of a very short skirt or pair of shorts and a top that would reveal a lot of cleavage.

I think the point of the professor is that girls are pushed to wear quasirevealing genie costumes; princess costumes; etc....
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 10:53 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
I think the point of the professor is that girls are pushed to wear quasirevealing genie costumes; princess costumes; etc....
No doubt girls wearing little skirts to school where as the boys wear baggy pants is also a conspiracy to sluttify our little girls. Never mind that when you ask the actual kids they will almost to a person say that they wear what they want to wear, that they have not been pushed.

EDIT: Japanese young girls dress much more slutty than do American girls, but strangely I rarely see Japanese ninnies complaining that this represents a problem. Me thinks that American Puritism is raising its head again.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 11:04 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

The disadvantage of communicating in text - sometimes you miss a tongue held firmly in cheek.

Experience tells my you cannot be too lavish with the emoticons. I tend to ignore experience
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 11:26 pm
A look at the Costumes that Party City is pushing at girls goes to show how offensive is the claim that girls are being sluttified...these are very tame.

0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 11:29 pm
@roger,
I've been meaning to tell you....for the longest time now....just how nice you look in pink! Smile
snood

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 01:04 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

snood wrote:

Experience tells my you cannot be too lavish with the emoticons. I tend to ignore experience

That's good to know, Roger. But my comment was specific to the narrow context of the snippet of conversation I was having, and I cannot claim any applicability to other tongues, cheeks or conversations.
roger

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 01:10 am
@Irishk,
Uh, yeah. I see you're just green with envy.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 02:31 am
@snood,
Exactly!

<nods head wisely>
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 04:34 am
Quote:
Racist costumes being banned
Thay 'd stop u from going as George Wallace.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 05:31 am
http://www.bumpzee.com/users/bz/damienarlabosse-5089-full.jpg
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 08:47 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

Because you compared it to your "joke" which is obviously not (obtainable)

I can't argue with this about you snood. It takes up valuable brain space.
Yesterday you were just in a place where you made at least 2 "jokes" that weren't funny, and I know you regret at least one of them. Hey, I've done that too. No harm, no foul.

You compared my obtainable goal with your unobtainable one, not being clear you were joking (at least to me, and it was directed at something I said).

Let's just drop it and move on.
snood

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 09:37 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

snood wrote:

Because you compared it to your "joke" which is obviously not (obtainable)

I can't argue with this about you snood. It takes up valuable brain space.
Yesterday you were just in a place where you made at least 2 "jokes" that weren't funny, and I know you regret at least one of them. Hey, I've done that too. No harm, no foul.

You compared my obtainable goal with your unobtainable one, not being clear you were joking (at least to me, and it was directed at something I said).

Let's just drop it and move on.

You engaged me, chicky - remember? You were trying to get me to qualify what was objectionable and what isn't, remember? You wanna drop it now, fine.
Setanta

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 10:06 am
So you're here to objecct to the portrayal of black people (complete with red herrings about watermelon and fried chicken), and you address Chai as "chicky?" I guess at your house, sauce for the goose does not make sauce for the gander.