Two weeks into Occupy Wall Street protests, movement is at a crossroads

izzythepush

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 10:17 am
@reasoning logic,
Being selfish and greedy can make you lose sight of everything else. it doesn't mean you're a sociopath, which is a term you're way too fast and loose with.

In Dicken's A Christmas Carol Ebeneezer Scrooge is selfish and greedy, but he's not a sociopath, otherwise the visit from the spirits would have no effect on him. I know that's fiction, but I get the feeling you use the term sociopath to explain behaviour you find abhorrant, and things aren't that simple.
spendius

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 10:29 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
But when judgments of moral value are applied in complex social systems, they expose the judge to a peculiar danger of self-deception, perhaps even of self-incrimination.

J.R.Pole. American Historical Review, vol 67 (1962) 626-646.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 11:06 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I get the feeling you use the term sociopath to explain behaviour you find abhorrant, and things aren't that simple.

I use the term sociopath to explain behavior I find antisocial. Must I only use it in accordance with your views?
izzythepush

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 11:48 am
@reasoning logic,
I think it's best to apply the standard definition. Otherwise you start sounding like Humpty Dumpty.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 12:00 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I think it's best to apply the standard definition. Otherwise you start sounding like Humpty Dumpty.

I am cool with sounding like Humpty Dumpty Cool I personally find more meaning in using sociopathic than in using selfish. People always try to justify selfishness but they seem to stumble with sociopathic, I guess it hits home harder with them for some reason, maybe because they do not want to be identified as such.
spendius

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 12:16 pm
@reasoning logic,
Not answering my posts is anti-social rl.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 12:44 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Not answering my posts is anti-social rl.

Sorry about that spendius I seemed to have missed the question mark. If you will copy and past the question I will attempt to answer it the best I know how.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 02:12 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
People always try to justify selfishness

That's not true.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 02:18 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
reasoning logic wrote:

People always try to justify selfishness

That's not true.

My bad Izzy you are correct I should have said that people often try to justify selfishness.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 02:29 pm
@reasoning logic,
Some people.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 02:36 pm
@izzythepush,
You are on a roll Izzy you are correct again. Do you think that Jesse Ventura is an intellectual in some ways?

RABEL222

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 02:39 pm
@izzythepush,
We have gotten away from the premise of this thread. When it started I claimed that big business with the connivance of politicians would destroy the movement. They did.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 02:43 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Sorry about that spendius I seemed to have missed the question mark. If you will copy and past the question I will attempt to answer it the best I know how.

Another non-answer that gets you through another hour or two to your own satisfaction.

OWS has no realistic answers either. It's just a gig. Maybe get on TV. Maybe cop off in the tent. Maybe simply boredom relief. Letting off steam.

The 99% had no say in the Constitution. It was a straight battle between commerce and the landed interests which the former won.

If Big Business voluntarily threw its hand in OWS wouldn't have a clue what to do next except that all the speakers in Builder's movie would fight it out with their own organisations and the winners would take over.

Wouldn't that be a sight to see?
spendius

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 02:48 pm
@reasoning logic,
We know we don't have democracy rl. That silly sod is just preaching to other silly sods who think we should have. Not that he will define democracy and neither will you. It just an abstract notion suitable for his exercises on a megaphone.

Like atheism as you think of it.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 02:57 pm
@spendius,
Quote:

Another non-answer that gets you through another hour or two to your own satisfaction.

That is odd being you did not ask a question. Laughing

Quote:
If Big Business voluntarily threw its hand in OWS wouldn't have a clue what to do next except that all the speakers in Builder's movie would fight it out with their own organisations and the winners would take over.

Wouldn't that be a sight to see?

Oh look I see a question mark at the end of one of your sentences.

I personally think that what is happening at the moment is that people are becoming educated and once we have enough people understanding what is taking place then you will see a somewhat organized movement in the direction that the people are looking for.
spendius

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 03:59 pm
@reasoning logic,
How exactly are you using the words educated, understanding, movement and direction?

The way I would use them would be going in the other direction to the one you have in your noddle. Your problem is that you are uneducated, have no understanding and have no idea how to move or what direction to go in if you had.

You have been educated to think you are educated. The teaching profession would look ridiculous otherwise. That's the number one teaching priority so that the dignity of the profession is maintained.

"Education, Education, Education" one of our politicians screeched all through his victorious election campaign. He was never once asked what he meant. Had he been asked he would have answered like you do. He would have said that everybody knows that education is a good thing.

The **** shifters make more sense than the graduates these days. That's why I frequent low dives. "Once eaten, soon forgeeten" I got off a **** shifter.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 04:26 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
How exactly are you using the words educated, understanding, movement and direction?

Definition of EDUCATED
: having an education; especially : having an education beyond the average <educated speakers>
a : giving evidence of training or practice : skilled <educated hands>
b : befitting one that is educated <educated taste>
c : based on some knowledge of fact

C. primarily

Definition of UNDERSTANDING
: a mental grasp : comprehension
a : the power of comprehending; especially : the capacity to apprehend general relations of particulars
b : the power to make experience intelligible by applying concepts and categories
a : friendly or harmonious relationship
b : an agreement of opinion or feeling : adjustment of differences
c : a mutual agreement not formally entered into but in some degree binding on each side

A an b for the most part.

the line or course on which something is moving or is aimed to move or along which something is pointing or facing
archaic : directorate 1
a : a channel or direct course of thought or action

Quote:
The way I would use them would be going in the other direction to the one you have in your noddle. Your problem is that you are uneducated, have no understanding and have no idea how to move or what direction to go in if you had.

Let me guess you think that I should rather take the advice of those men in the long robes that spoke of what ever popped up first?

Quote:
"Education, Education, Education" one of our politicians screeched all through his victorious election campaign. He was never once asked what he meant. Had he been asked he would have answered like you do. He would have said that everybody knows that education is a good thing.

Are you suggesting that he would have said that what those men in the long robes were teaching should be brought up for questioning along with their teachings about morality and that the things that popped up first might have been their sexual desire rather than an informed understanding?

Quote:

The **** shifters make more sense than the graduates these days.

Is this similar as to saying the men in the long robes make more sense than the scientist today?

JPB

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 04:35 pm
OWS organizers have stepped up in coordinating relief efforts after Sandy. Dubbed Occupy Sandy the group is using FB and other social media to coordinate volunteers and donations with those not being served by the larger relief organizations.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2012/11/04/occupy_sandy_hurricane_relief_being_led_by_occupy_wall_street.html
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 04:44 pm
@JPB,
Good news thank you for sharing.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2012 04:52 pm
0 Replies