Two weeks into Occupy Wall Street protests, movement is at a crossroads

Builder

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 12:52 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I also know that RT is a propaganda tool of ther Kremlin.

No doubt, and fair's fair. How many propaganda tools are they up against in the US MSM?

Well-researched documentaries, like "Inside Job" narrated by Matt Damon, about the liars behind the GFC, get canned or ignored in the MSM, despite being a true account of the criminal actions of the banksters and elitists.

I'd be more inclined to listen to Russia Today with an unbiased ear, than any nationally recognised popular infotainment channel in the US of A.

And that's not because I think they're biased, it's because I know they are.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 02:47 am
@Builder,
I don't watch American News channels either, unless I'm flicking about. There's a distintion between watching RT in the full knowledge that it's a propaganda channel, and believing everything it says. I'm not accusing you of that mind.

Builder

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 04:10 am
@izzythepush,
That was phunny. Thanks.

RT at least approaches their topics with a level of professionalism that is completely missing in most of the currently popular "nooz" channels of the US of A.

Infotainment is pap for the masses. If I gotta live through one more episode of gay marriage/abortion choice in the buildup to election time, I'm gonna fly my own plane into my own building. Promise.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 07:35 am
@Builder,
Over here political advertising is restricted to party political broadcasts, each party is allocated a certain amount based on popular support, which means, Labour, Conservative and Liberal get the most, followed by the minority parties that get one each.

I don't think I could handle paid for TV adverts as well.
spendius

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 08:21 am
@izzythepush,
Don't kid yourself izzy.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 11:34 am
@spendius,
I was forgetting you watched Sky News.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 12:13 pm
@izzythepush,
Doesn't that seem a little odd? Not so much that each is allocated a specific amount of time, but that the most popular get the most time. It looks like another case of the rich getting richer, if you get my drift.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 12:56 pm
@roger,
It's the ones that get the most votes, and it is the big three (4 in Scotland). The Greens and Nationalists get a fair crack. It's a far cry from rich special interest groups buying up airtime.

The Labour Party is not the party of the rich.
roger

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 02:04 pm
@izzythepush,
Here it's the ones with the most money. There, it is the ones that are already popular. I suppose one makes as much sense as the other.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 02:29 pm
@roger,
I wonder how much of a role nepotism plays over there.
spendius

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 03:00 pm
@reasoning logic,
Nepotism plays a large part everywhere except in the officials of the Roman Catholic Church.

It expresses itself in various ways. I tend to think it's a bit less in the US that it is here. They have faster rates of geographical and social mobility. Their versions of our "ee bah gums" and "mangle wurzels" don't sound incongruous in high flown rhetoric.

The problem with Communism is that it can't avoid nepotism.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 03:59 pm
@roger,
Ours is more democratic, less power to the oligarchs.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 04:00 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Nepotism plays a large part everywhere except in the officials of the Roman Catholic Church.

Are you saying they finally ended it? I would love to here the story about how they managed to do that. Laughing
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 04:02 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
oligarchs.

Now that is something we can all live without.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 05:58 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I also know that RT is a propaganda tool of ther Kremlin.

Speaking of RT have you heard any recent Max Keiser reports?

0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 06:11 pm
The last video was somewhat of a summery so I decided to include the whole shebang for all you RT junkies.

izzythepush

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2012 04:59 am
It's a bit dry, but here are the eligability criteria for party polical broadcasts in the UK

Quote:
Allocation of broadcasts
1. Major parties will normally be offered a series of broadcasts before each election. This includes SNP on Channel 4 and SNP and Plaid Cymru on Five.

2. Other registered parties may qualify for a broadcast on the basis of contesting one sixth or more of the seats up for election, modified as appropriate for proportional representation systems. The four nations of the UK will be considered separately. Parties which qualify in one or two of the nations of England, Scotland and Wales will be offered broadcasts on ITV, in the appropriate regions of those nations. Parties which qualify in all of these three nations will additionally be offered broadcasts on Channel 4, Five and national commercial radio (provided these broadcasters are carrying the relevant series of broadcasts; see items 5 – 9 above).

3. Major parties will be offered one broadcast on each occasion, in relation to other key political events.

4. Each designated referendum organisation will be allocated one or more broadcasts before each referendum. The allocation should be equal for both sides.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/broadcasting/guidance/programme-guidance/ppbrules2/
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 03:58 am
@reasoning logic,
I like the delivery of Max Keiser, and the whole show is tres professional, but why does it have to be Russian, when the accents are all American?

I watch another news channel from Germany, and while the guys talk English, they are clearly European accents.

What gives with RT?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 05:34 am
@Builder,
RT is aimed at the West, primarily America. Not everyone who views it knows that and thinks it's just another American news channel.

Al Jazeera is a far far better news network, it's inspiration is the BBC, and as such tries to be as truthful and impartial as can reasonably be expected. They also devote more coverage to parts of the world that tend to be neglected by the Western Media.
spendius

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 06:08 am
@izzythepush,
It's that Stacy Herbert izzy. What a dirty grin that lass has eh?
0 Replies