Two weeks into Occupy Wall Street protests, movement is at a crossroads

Fido

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 06:44 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

No amount of logic will stop more articles denouncing OWS from being posted by some people here.

Cycloptichorn
There is not a lot of logic on either side of the issue... Why would anyone, ows included make themselves a target for the police of the very class they are resisting... They want the moral high ground... They should concern themselves with victory, and as the rich understand, to have victory one must trash morality... Morality is community... If the ows are part of the working class they will see they owe the rich abslutely nothing... They have had their time, and they have had their fair trial... They are the enemy... Destroy them...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 06:45 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

wandeljw wrote:

It seems the damage was cumulative based on prolonged occupation.

On things like grass, of course it's cumulative. Such is the product of human traffic. The same problem exists here in DC. The people in McPherson Square try their best to not turn the place into a mud-pit, but that many feet simply do this. It's unfortunate, but unless someone wants to suggest that destroying the grass is a goal of the #occupy camps (a very dumb argument that would be), then what's more to be said other than: It's grass. It's dead.

Planting more grass is a pretty cheap price tag on democracy. Moreover, using things like the mess of a raid and grass as justification is super flimsy.

A
R
T
Better that resistence to economic tyranny should die so the grass might live!!!
Fido

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 06:49 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Laughing stinki hippies getting a well deserved eye full of accountability and the rule of law.

H2O MAN wrote:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/378824_225790510827183_100001887069782_548280_951681450_n.jpg

Law without justice is not law; but tyranny... You are only the sort of idiot who celebrates the injury of injustice when it is suffered by others and cries about suffering it yourself, and to whom are your complaints addressed??? Only to other victims more victimized than yourself... Fool is your label... Wear it proudly!!!
spendius

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 07:58 am
@Fido,
I wouldn't worry about it Fido if I was you. In twenty years they'll all be in suits in junior positions shuffling things about, like ideas and papers, in the service of managing us all, and living in suburbs mowing their lawns and all that **** that goes with domestic bliss in that particular quartile which they obviously are in now. And they'll be able to do the "I was there" piece at the barbecues whilst getting their chompers into a sizzling spare-rib. That whole "I was where the real action was" upmanship gambit. Getting arrested by the pigs will be a badge of honour and we all know how much Americans go on about their badges of honour.

Look how often farmerman reminds us all of the exalted intellectual company he keeps and what lady will make a secret that she had Majored in an 'ology.

If there is a revolution, which we would do well to avoid, they will be able to claim a place in the elite cadres from which all fascist running dogs have been cleansed. They have been tested in the firing line. The Vanguard. And they have been on accelerated politicisation. They have the scars.

I still think the cop looks cool.
Fido

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 08:32 am
@spendius,
There is a revolution though it is only evident in the counter revolution... These OWS are like some pimple the rich want to squeeze until it pops all over their filthy mirrors, but if they really get after it they will find the puss goes all the way to the marrow of their society... When the constitution was written there would have been property qualifications on sufferage if they could have figured out how to frame it so none of the rich or nearly rich were included out, and if they thought they could get the excluded to approve of the constitution... Instead they left the democracy denuded and the people powerless, and that situation has grown only worse over time especially with the fixing of the number of representatives in the house so they did not grow with the population... The people are unhappy and ill served by their government because it is not their government... Those protesters need to die, and be willing to fight and die for our freedom, and until they are their pain and discomfort will be pointless... Life is good, and the rich are careful to keep it good enough so people will not spend their lives to give to all the stuff of life and happiness,,, Happiness and even themost common expression of freedom: free assembly is losing us, and if we cannot seize it, we can forget ever having what we all need: A government committed to the common good and the common man, and universal liberty...
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 10:57 am
@spendius,
I think fido's words go over your head so let me be more specific. I think you are a stupid asshole who gets off on stirring ****. Much like waterman.
Fido

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 12:52 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

I think fido's words go over your head so let me be more specific. I think you are a stupid asshole who gets off on stirring ****. Much like waterman.
Ya; what he said squared
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 01:24 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
Better that resistence to economic tyranny should die so the grass might live!!!

Aptly put.
R
T
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 11:20 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

I'm curious RABEL, is it because this forum is so overwhelmingly populated by liberals that you don't consider your consistent posting of nasty insults about conservatives to be **** stirring?
Builder

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2011 11:29 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Try not to lose sight of the obvious things in this equation, people.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/308983_288370641203537_262356017138333_891886_280602482_n.jpg
RABEL222

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2011 12:30 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Does the truth hurt? Beside I am just posting my opinion.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2011 12:49 am
@Builder,
How does this relate in any way to my reply to RABEL?

Aren't you getting tired of spewing the same hackneyed slogans?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2011 12:57 am
@RABEL222,
"Does the truth hurt?"

What an eviscerating retort!

Your calling spendius an asshole and a **** stirrer doesn't hurt me in the least, nor does your crude insults concerning conservatives. You are one of the least sharp of the A2K left-wing blades which probably explains why spendius has not responded to your drivel. Alas, I can't match his restraint.

Spendius was just posting his opinion as well, but apparently what is good for you, is not good for him.

Hypocrite.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2011 05:22 am
@RABEL222,
fido's words do not go over my head. I've been hearing bullshit like that for decades. "Revolution!!". "Destroy them!!". It's baby stuff.

And I haven't criticised OWS. It looks good fun. And overtime for the cops, Refine the counter-measures. Let other governments see how they work. Easy stories for Media. Great entertainment. No other result that I can see.

Are any of them involved in the production and distribution of the food they must have been scoffing during the commercial breaks?

Do you really think they have the slightest interest in the "common good and the common man, and universal liberty... "?
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2011 06:35 am
@spendius,
Spendius is there any talk about this in cities near where you live?

RABEL222

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2011 04:28 pm
@spendius,
You and your friend Finn are beginning to ramble verbally. I cant make out what you are talking about. I stated my opinion and if you dont like it too bad. You and Finn have criticised OWS many times but I dont intend to waste my time posting something you wont acknowledge anyway.
spendius

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2011 06:12 pm
@reasoning logic,
Nah.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2011 06:15 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
You and Finn have criticised OWS many times but I dont intend to waste my time posting something you wont acknowledge anyway.

Thank you. I'm sure some of us are very grateful.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 05:48 am
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2011 08:23 am
Quote:
19 Occupy protesters arrested at Portland, Ore., park
(The Associated Press, December 4, 2011)

Riot police moved quickly to thwart efforts by Occupy Portland demonstrators to set up a new protest site, arresting nearly 20 people in a nighttime crackdown.

Officers moved protesters from South Park blocks around 8:30 p.m. Saturday, after the park was closed a half-hour early, Sgt. Pete Simpson said.

But 19 who refused to leave or resisted were arrested, held with flex cuffs and hauled away by police, he said.

He said the arrests came amid “reports of demonstrators setting up structures in what appeared to be an attempt take over the park.”

Occupy Portland protesters set up tents in a portion of the park that runs through Southwest Portland earlier Saturday and vowed to stay through the winter, defying city officials who said overnight camping will not be allowed.

They had been without an encampment since police swept through their downtown site three weeks ago, making arrests and dismantling tents.

The Occupy Portland website declared, “We have a park!” It said that “the kitchen is open” and invited the public to bring love, tents, sleeping bags and snacks.

Protest spokesman Jordan LeDoux earlier told the AP that having a camp provides a place for demonstrators to focus their efforts and engage the public.

Police moved in awhile later, dispersing the crowd and arresting the 19 people, who ranged in age from 17 to 60, Sgt. Simpson said in a statement released early Sunday.

Fourteen were cited to appear in court on charges of criminal trespass and interfering with a police officer and released. Five were booked into the Multnomah County Jail.

Sgt. Simpson estimated that at least a dozen structures, mainly tents, were dismantled by the officers in an area of South Park blocks, near the Portland Art Museum, known as Shermanski Park.

Sgt. Simpson said he didn’t know if protesters put up any resistance. KGW-TV reported that witnesses said there was some pushing and shoving between the protesters and police.

The Oregonian reported that dozens of protesters who weren’t arrested marched to City Hall and gathered there, as riot police assembled nearby. Later, the protesters began walking as a group along several area streets, followed by police on bicycles.

Sgt. Simpson said the protesters finally returning to the park where the arrests had been made.

“The Police Bureau will continue to monitor the small demonstration,” he said. “People remaining in the park after hours could be subject to arrest.”

The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that limits on camping out is a reasonable "time, place, and manner" restriction on expression:
Quote:
(a) Assuming that overnight sleeping in connection with the demonstration is expressive conduct protected to some extent by the First Amendment, the regulation forbidding sleeping meets the requirements for a reasonable time, place, or manner restriction of expression, whether oral, written, or symbolized by conduct. The regulation is neutral with regard to the message presented, and leaves open ample alternative methods of communicating the intended message concerning the plight of the homeless. Moreover, the regulation narrowly focuses on the Government's substantial interest in maintaining the parks in the heart of the Capital in an attractive and intact condition, readily available to the millions of people who wish to see and enjoy them by their presence. To permit camping would be totally inimical to these purposes. The validity of the regulation need not be judged solely by reference to the demonstration at hand, and none of its provisions are unrelated to the ends that it was designed to serve.
(b) Similarly, the challenged regulation is also sustainable as meeting the standards for a valid regulation of expressive conduct. Aside from its impact on speech, a rule against camping or overnight sleeping in public parks is not beyond the constitutional power of the Government to enforce. And as noted above, there is a substantial Government interest, unrelated to suppression of expression, in conserving park property that is served by the proscription of sleeping.
--Clark v. Community Creative Non-Violence, 1984
0 Replies