Two weeks into Occupy Wall Street protests, movement is at a crossroads

djjd62

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 12:23 pm
@H2O MAN,
Very Happy
revelette

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 01:03 pm
@djjd62,
I don't see the humor in spraying peaceful protesters right in the face with pepper spray. There were injuries and some had to hospitalized. Do you guys laugh at car wrecks too?

Quote:
Without any provocation whatsoever, other than the bodies of these students sitting where they were on the ground, with their arms linked, police pepper-sprayed students. Students remained on the ground, now writhing in pain, with their arms linked.

What happened next?

Police used batons to try to push the students apart. Those they could separate, they arrested, kneeling on their bodies and pushing their heads into the ground. Those they could not separate, they pepper-sprayed directly in the face, holding these students as they did so. When students covered their eyes with their clothing, police forced open their mouths and pepper-sprayed down their throats. Several of these students were hospitalized. Others are seriously injured. One of them, forty-five minutes after being pepper-sprayed down his throat, was still coughing up blood.

source

reasoning logic

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 02:56 pm
This young man[Iraq war veteran} was shoot in the head with a tear gas canister and now has difficulty speaking.

TheLeapist

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 02:58 pm
@reasoning logic,
That video makes me have violent thoughts towards those "protectors of the people."
reasoning logic

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 03:09 pm
@TheLeapist,
Yes I know how you feel but not all police act out violently.

I do hope that all of this brings order to our police force in the end.
TheLeapist

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 03:19 pm
@reasoning logic,
I know, I was referring specifically to the ones responsible for that.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 03:23 pm
@revelette,
I didn't know that libtards had a sense of humor
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 04:48 pm
@wandeljw,
It would be fair to factually report the findings of feces or urine. However to go as far as to claim this is #OccupyLA's "legacy" is loaded partisan bullshit.

Of course it's a mess--It was a midnight raid! You think people want to leave behind their things as they are being forced out of the park? That the author takes his precious time articulating the details of the "flotsam" and once lush green lawns. I'd love to compare the costs of seeding/fixing the lawn with the price tag on a midnight raid using 1,400 officers (and assuming other support personnel like medics).

A
R
T
reasoning logic

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 04:53 pm
@failures art,
You do seem to hear some biased reporting coming from different groups.

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 04:53 pm
@failures art,
No amount of logic will stop more articles denouncing OWS from being posted by some people here.

Cycloptichorn
wandeljw

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 04:54 pm
@failures art,
It seems the damage was cumulative based on prolonged occupation.
djjd62

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 04:56 pm
@revelette,
if i'd seen the pic in the paper as a news story i'd have probably had a different reaction, or possibly none at all, i expect that if someone is protesting, no matter how peacefully there's always the possibility that bad things could happen

as it is the caption is funny
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 05:03 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

It seems the damage was cumulative based on prolonged occupation.

On things like grass, of course it's cumulative. Such is the product of human traffic. The same problem exists here in DC. The people in McPherson Square try their best to not turn the place into a mud-pit, but that many feet simply do this. It's unfortunate, but unless someone wants to suggest that destroying the grass is a goal of the #occupy camps (a very dumb argument that would be), then what's more to be said other than: It's grass. It's dead.

Planting more grass is a pretty cheap price tag on democracy. Moreover, using things like the mess of a raid and grass as justification is super flimsy.

A
R
T
wandeljw

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 05:14 pm
Quote:
Removal of Occupy L.A. camp may be good for public health
(By Dalina Castellanos, Los Angeles Times, November 30, 2011)

Nearly 300 protesters were arrested early Wednesday morning as the Los Angeles Police Department cleared the 2½-month-old tent city surrounding City Hall. Clearly, the protesters wanted to continue to Occupy L.A. But leaving the encampment will probably turn out to be good for their health, experts say.

As these activists and their compatriots around the country have weathered heat, rain and snow as part of the Occupy Wall Street movement, germs have had a prime opportunity to occupy their immune systems. For instance, workers cleaning the L.A. site have found pillows, mattresses and old foodstuffs. Some police chose to don biohazard suits Wednesday morning when approaching City Hall's lawn, which The Times reported smelled of "urine and old food."

Protesting -- and living -- outdoors may have been fine in the early fall, but in the thick of cold and flu season, having a bunch of people living in tented neighborhoods with inadequate sanitation facilities could put people at greater risk of infection, said Dr. Georges Benjamin, executive director of the American Public Health Assn.

“People should get their flu shot,” Benjamin said. “It’s almost a no-brainer.”

Members of the Service Employees International Union-United Healthcare Workers West set up a health fair for the occupiers in downtown L.A. on Nov. 19. A number of demonstrators got their blood pressure and blood glucose levels checked. They also received information about ways to get help paying for medical insurance.

"The 99% needs proper healthcare. We should not have to make a choice between meals or medication," said Marlene Brand, a union steward and spokeswoman.

Many of the occupiers didn't have either of those. Health authorities didn't grant permits for the Los Angeles group to cook hot meals, which complicated efforts to nurse sickened people with hot chicken soup. The Occupy L.A. camp did have some reports of cold and flu infections, but Shakti Marquis, the camp's wellness coordinator, said ailing occupiers were referred to nearby clinics. Marquis said hot food had been donated to the camp, but those donations weren't regular -- or at times very healthy.

The lack of properly prepared and stored food led to another of Benjamin’s worries: food-borne outbreaks of illness that can lead to diarrhea (not a pleasant experience in any case, but we’re guessing even less so in the portable toilets set up at many of the camps).

Also, while donations of food and clothing have been welcome at some Occupy camps, the condition of those items is unknown and they may have strep or staph infections, Benjamin said, though such instances are rare.

In any case, Benjamin stressed the importance of good hand-washing. If clean, running water isn’t available, he said, an alcohol-based hand sanitizer would be a good substitute.

In the wellness tent that had been set up near the southwest corner of the Occupy L.A. camp, Marquis -- who is certified to give first aid -- led discussion groups and talk therapy sessions for protesters.

The camp tried to approach health -- whether in a physical or mental sense -- with a holistic approach, Marquis said.

A 2004 study in the journal Nature found that there is a reciprocal relationship between sleep and immunity, but many involved with the movement may not have been getting the rest they needed. If they seemed like they needed a break, Marquis advised them to go home, to a shelter or to visit family members.

Benjamin endorsed that approach. “I’m an advocate for people involved to take ‘time out’ breaks,” he said before the camp was dismantled. Now it seems that protesters will have little choice but to take his advice.
msolga

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 05:20 pm
@wandeljw,
I have a feeling, wandel, that concerns for the health of the protesters was not exactly the main reason for their removal & 300 arrests.
Did you read Naomi Wolf's article a few posts back?
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 05:23 pm
@wandeljw,
The strange thing is that there are doctors nurses and medics at most of these camps and if things have gotten so out of control why didn't any of these health professionals do anything about it?

My guess would be that there are some people who will live in a nasty environment compared to what some of us will and the doctors are not going to follow every person home to see their living standards. nor will they go into every tent and confront a protester about his sanitation.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 05:25 pm
@wandeljw,
I know people in camps. They understand the risks. They get it. Pretending this is acceptable by dressing it up as concern for the people in the park is absurd. That's not why they were removed, and we shouldn't pretend otherwise.

If they feel it was worth the risk; that their protest is worth it, then who can say they can't do it?

I'm sure many on the right will jump on this with glee. The irony to me is this is very much the real manifestation of the nanny-statism they try to sell elsewhere with false boogeymen. Worse, it's being used to harm people and shut down civil protest.

A
R
This is in the name of what exactly?
spendius

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 05:47 pm
@failures art,
Progress one assumes fa. Otherwise our leaders don't know what they are doing.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 08:27 pm
The 1%er of the week - First column

http://money.msn.com/investing/latest.aspx?post=0844157f-5e1d-4785-a57a-3fce887ef3e1

Eugene Isenberg, chairman of Nabors
Quote:
When he gave up the CEO slot recently, he got a nice parting gift -- a cool $100 million payment. And it’s not even goodbye; he’s staying on as chairman. He just has one less job,

The company has long argued that he deserves this cash because he rescued the company from bankruptcy in 1987. That may be true, but the company’s stock is down 40% in the last five years. The latest payment led a columnist in Houston, where Nabors is based, to label Isenberg his city’s "most overpaid executive."
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2011 08:52 pm
@parados,
Companies and boards have lost all concept of the rational. Their justifications for high salaries and bonus to the CEO's and officers are myopic in many ways; primarily leaving out the people who have made companies profitable are being left out of the benefit package. No company can survive without its workers. They have lost sight of this simple fact.
0 Replies