Any idea what kind of social disorder this could be? (a little creepy short story)

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 06:11 pm
@sozobe,
Thinking if we could rig a meeting in the city - a construct that we could do that, but interesting. I'll show you my place, you show me yours. Not that the west side is some kind of good. That area history has several sides.
We bought, for his lawn mowing money, etc, over years, and my leaving uni lab money, a house in a red lined area.

But, re this thread, maybe it is culture in that elevator. But I think it is dementia and possible held views.
0 Replies

goldamber

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 06:16 pm
@ossobuco,
Interesting, I will look that up!
I'm sorry about your mother.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 06:28 pm
@goldamber,
Goldamber, I'll interrupt and welcome you here. Please feel at home on a2k.
This is a website with a lot of subscribed members, some most of the time posters, some who post less often, some who leave and come back, and immense archives if they ever get organized, which is a plan but not all that easy.

Some of us are intelligent, but that estimate varies with critics point of view.
If you need help navigating, just ask.
Linkat

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 06:40 pm
@sozobe,
funy I don't remember where I had seen or heard this, but they were showing typical behaviour in an elevator - how you walk in and stand toward one side then another will come in and stands opposite both staring straight ahead. And then said for a joke walk and and stand facing backwards.

Maybe I will try it next week. See what people do
boomerang

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 06:40 pm
Let's face it:

She was the wife of a diplomat, an important man. He was seduced by a beautiful spy from the middle east who was fluent in several languages. The pillow talk led to a rebellion. He feared being hanged so he took his wife and fled to America where he swore her to silence. They lived in squalor for years, then saved enough to open a small restaurant. He worked there until one day, making soup, he fell over and died. Many suspected poison.

She thinks you're the love child from the affair, an assassin, who has come to do her in.

Or you're the lovers ghost.

She can't explain you so she averts her glance and runs.
Linkat

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 06:45 pm
@ossobuco,
I am one of the less intelligent - thus my old bag comment - actually working in a nursing home when I was a student - you see all sorts of odd behaviour and I agree many of it is associated with dementia (sp) - but sometimes people are just anti social or scared.

I was curious though if you tried to talk with her and her response.
0 Replies

goldamber

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 06:45 pm
@boomerang,
holy crap.
you're hilarious.
you're absolutely right, how did I not see it all along?
Linkat

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 06:46 pm
@boomerang,
Maybe she is another girl friend of Whitey Bulger and is afraid she will be found out
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 06:47 pm
@Linkat,
I had a design class, forget the name of it, something about social behavior. We were assigned to do such things as you say, re how people react to closeness in cultures.
Sort of a beginning design thing.
Good class as an idea, to get architects et al to notice people.
Linkat

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 06:49 pm
@ossobuco,
I once acted like a hamster on the subway just to see how people would react.

One man kinda did the crazy sign toward me.
Linkat

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 06:50 pm
@goldamber,
boomerang is one of the more intelligent ones on here.
0 Replies

goldamber

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 06:56 pm
@ossobuco,
thank you very much. this was so random, I just googled "psychology forum" and this was the first thing that showed up. I look forward to using this forum more. You will find the wise and the fools wherever you go. Your professor could be a fool. Ignorance is everywhere. But wisdom is not everywhere. So we will follow it wherever it goes
Linkat

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 06:59 pm
@goldamber,
not to highjack your thread but I found this video experiement really funny about behaviour in an elevtor

http://www.betterdaystv.net/play.php?vid=19442
JTT

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 07:06 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
He worked there until one day, making soup,

Ah yes, the Soup Nazi. I wondered where he got to.
0 Replies

goldamber

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 07:11 pm
@Linkat,
we also talked about elevator behavior in my social psych class .... we actually pulled a joke on our prof one day ... cause she said it's funny how people will always be used to the social norm of facing the doors when they enter the elevator .... that we all would agree it would be weird if someone decided to walk straight into the elevator and never turn around to face the doors throughout the ride, until you get to your floor. it's so automatic, we always walk in and turn around immediately.
then the next day we all turned our chairs around to face the wall before she came in, and we didn't turn our chairs for a while until someone couldn't sit still anymore and started laughing and everyone cracked up. she actually gave us extra credit for that ... what psych nerds. haaa

now let me check this link of yours
ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 07:16 pm
@Linkat,
So, wait, how did you do that?

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 07:22 pm
@goldamber,
Quote:
In Germany, I wasn't even aware that I was growing up around racist people until I came here and thought "wow, black people work at the bank here? you have black news reporters? awesome!" it was amazing and awakening for me, to see what type of environment I had been living in all along.

Could it be that Germany just doesn't have that many black people who speak the language well enough to be news reporters or having gone into
a banking profession? Being born and raised in Germany myself, I think
you are exaggerating quite a bit. Of course there are racists in every country, Germany too, but it certainly isn't a nation where you have to grow up around racist people.

As for the old lady, she probably senses that you're watching her and
it might make her feel uncomfortable. The way you're describing her eye movements and her demeanor means that you are looking at her more
attentive than she's accustomed to. Perhaps she's afraid of you.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 07:26 pm
@goldamber,
So, watch how many people own the same desks every class...
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 07:28 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Maybe she's deaf.
Maybe she doesn't speak English.
Maybe she moves kind of slow and she doesn't want to hold up others getting off the elevator.
Maybe she's crazy.
Maybe she's afraid of germs.

I'd totally follow her and she where she goes.

Heh, I was thinking all the same things.

espcially re being deaf, or doesn't speak the language, or at all.

some people just aren't that interactive.

maybe she as aspergers, and doesn't relate to humans much.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 07:29 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I know one who is incredibly shy. After three months of eating and reading in the same restaurant, she would finally respond to a friendly nod. I like to think that has become an important part of her life.

I've had that happen.

It feels so special when one day they do anything at all that acknowledges you, because by that time, you realize what an effort it took.
0 Replies