Question to those who do or do not doubt Christianity

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 08:47 am
@reasoning logic,
They double....But you are comparing...odds that are in the billions....to win....So if you lose, your odds double on a billion odds...But by buying just 2...Your chances of winning cut the odds in half...with one extra ticket...If you are already going to buy one...and play...

The odds do not get any more significant in your favor than just one to have a chance to win....And a second to cut the odds in half....
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 08:50 am
@reasoning logic,
I feel great Logic. how do you feel?
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 08:55 am
I just felt it would be respectful of myself to answer your post you have discussed me? So I could give my 2 Cents about it? I think there is still time, should I delete it? Did you not want me to answer my position? Should I link him to your new thread? Mr. Green Mr. Green Laughing Cool
reasoning logic

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 08:59 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
i did mine
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 09:03 am
How was everyones New Years?
reasoning logic

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 09:05 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
It was nice and relaxing
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 09:07 am
@reasoning logic,
I am happy you had a great day/night mate...Wink Very Happy

0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 09:14 am
@reasoning logic,
What is your ultimate favorite dish to eat and how come?
spendius

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 09:23 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Do you know of any pagans that could sing like those Catholic men?

You have heard of Gregorian chanting haven't you? Odd how you are obsessed with this numerically small group of people.

In our enlightened age I mean. The Romans castrated most male prisoners. Young and old. I dare say that the more presentable ones found employment in the salons of the ladies of the court.

The Byzantium bureaucracy was using the castrato singer in 400 AD I have read. They were half pagan. At least.

Anyway--whatever--Pope Sixtus the something put an end to it.

But it is an exciting subject I can tell, It combines get the Papists with smutty images.

Would you rather have been a castrato singing in the cathedral choir and admired far and wide or a chimney sweep's boy, in those days? Or a pottery clay musher in the factories which help fund Mr Darwin's luxurious lifestyle. And there were a lot more of that sort that ever there were castrato singers.

A very lot more. Castrating more of us might be the way to go.

reasoning logic

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 09:24 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
I like shrimp fried rice. I guess because as a young boy it was a treat that I liked and did not get it often. I do not buy it often now and that may be why I still like it. I could eat it everyday if I wanted but then I would not be fond of it anymore.

I bought a chicken stir fry that comes frozen in a bag it was pretty good and it fills a whole pan it was $2.50 a bag, I think it is regularly $3.50 They were giving samples at the store and I got 2 $1.00 off coupons so I bought 2 bags had one for lunch yesterday. yummy
reasoning logic

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 09:27 am
@spendius,
Quote:
Castrating more of us might be the way to go.

Catholics?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 09:35 am
@izzythepush,
It's from Wikipedia. I read it myself researching for this thread.

Did you see that film about a successful castrato who toted his brother around from gig to gig to finish off the ladies he had overexcited.

It was on TV but long before the puritans took over.

I am old enough to have seen TV at a time they hadn't quite realised what a useful tool it could be. I sometimes think that if you went through all the programmes that have been deemed unfit to repeat, Footballer's Wives for example, you would be into the gold bearing lode.

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 09:35 am
@reasoning logic,
Stir fry is very very good mate...I like it with the teriyaki sauce myself...

I would have to say my fav ever was when my grandmother would cook me Salmon...

And then I would make her my spaghetti....

Just because of the memories....

My favorite now, with be steak tips with very very hot sauce, steak sauce...And wish. sauce...

Or

Fish...

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 09:36 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:
What would be your better strategy than just buying 2 to double your chances? If you wanted to play?

Buying three to treble my chances of course.

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 09:46 am
@spendius,
So then you would also buy 1000 tickets? And spend 1000 bucks to increase your chances by 1000?

So instead of being 1 / 1 billion...

It would be 1/ 100 million?

Let me clarify I guess...

It was the best thing we could think of given that practicality of it...all...

We think/thought, that the risk/reward becomes too significant once you go past buying 2 tickets...with the odds...And how much more you will actually spend...When you do not win...

Or it is just not practical...
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 09:50 am
@spendius,
Quote:

The Byzantium bureaucracy was using the castrato singer in 400 AD I have read.

I have read that they did have Enochs but I am not sure if at that time they realized it was early castration that allowed the men to sing as they could. Not all of them may have been good at singing.

It seems to have definitely come out of a place of power where there were kings and what not. Where ever there is power you can rest a sure the church is going to be close
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 10:04 am
@reasoning logic,
Give us an example of what you think has a perfect ideal system? If you say that none does, and that is why it is constantly changing...What is the problem with the Church not doing that anymore? It certainly does not go with your argument that the Church strictly teaches that its ways can not be tested, or not to eat from the tree of knowledge, meant that you could not try to test moral philosophy....But it does point to the fact that the Church is here to stay, and makes changes, because it does test moral philosophy, while teaching that The Bible is the words of God....as well

All that it could show...Is that the church is not God himself...Because it is run by men of God....But it is just a symbol of God on Earth...Because there is but one living God...And no matter how ordained someone is...They still fall short of this God...Because they are not him, and that would be the reason why the Church may make mistakes...But yet they know they are beneath God...And why they would want to worship a God...Because they know they still fall short, no matter what they actually do....But do not give up, and still try to find the best moral philosophy possible...

What has atheism ever done? Or what do you think it could ever do?

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 10:14 am
@spendius,
Quote:
Re: reasoning logic (Post 5214218)
Quote:
Do you know of any pagans that could sing like those Catholic men?

You have heard of Gregorian chanting haven't you? Odd how you are obsessed with this numerically small group of people.

In our enlightened age I mean. The Romans castrated most male prisoners. Young and old. I dare say that the more presentable ones found employment in the salons of the ladies of the court.

The Byzantium bureaucracy was using the castrato singer in 400 AD I have read. They were half pagan. At least.

Anyway--whatever--Pope Sixtus the something put an end to it.

But it is an exciting subject I can tell, It combines get the Papists with smutty images.

Would you rather have been a castrato singing in the cathedral choir and admired far and wide or a chimney sweep's boy, in those days? Or a pottery clay musher in the factories which help fund Mr Darwin's luxurious lifestyle. And there were a lot more of that sort that ever there were castrato singers.

A very lot more. Castrating more of us might be the way to go.

Earlier you wrote:
Quote:

It was the Church which put a stop to castrato voices.

You were wrong there...and essentially, you are wrong here.

The Church finally spoke out against it (essentially prohibiting it) after Italy outlawed the practice by passing legislation against it.

To leave the impression that the practice was stopped by the Church is disingenuous at best.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 10:32 am
@spendius,
I agree with your premise Spendius...

My own opinions....

It would not make a difference how it actually stopped...Because if the church was doing it with power...Then they were the ones with the power to stop it...Whether it was a law or someone else who influenced them that it was morally wrong...They still came to the point where they understood that they thought it was morally incorrect....And stopped doing it....

Since they had the power to do it...Then they also had the power to keep doing it, if they wanted....And they also had the power to cease from doing it, upon their own, or with any other outside influence...It does not really matter...Since they thought it was moral to do...They would have to be the ones to see that it was immoral or chose to stop doing it because they wanted too...
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2013 10:46 am
I'm not holding the following up as "gospel"...but it does seem to summarize what I have read over the years on this issue:

The Catholic Church's position on castrati:

According to Rotten.com, in the late 16th century, "Pope Clement VIII became smitten with the sweetness and flexibility of their voices. While some Church officials suggested it would be preferable to lift the ban on women singers than to continue endorsing the castration of little boys, the Pope disagreed, quoting Saint Paul, 'Let women be silent in the assemblies, for it is not permitted to them to speak.' ... since it was illegal to perform castrations, ... all castrati presenting themselves for the choir claimed to have lost their genitals through tragic 'accident'."

"After the Pope’s official acknowledgement and acceptance of castrati, the number of these "accidents" increased dramatically. Parents seeking upward mobility towed their little lads down to a barber or butcher who separated them from their testicles for a fee.

One source estimates that, during the 17th and 18th centuries, three to five thousand boys per year in Italy were castrated . Castration was forbidden under canon law. The church condemned the practice and occasionally excommunicated the person responsible for the surgery. But the church simultaneously created a market for castrati by hiring them for its church choirs. By about 1789, there were more than 200 castrati in Rome's chapel choirs alone.

The number of castrati declined during the 19th century. In 1870, castrations were banned in the Papal States -- the last political jurisdiction to do so. (France lead the movement to ban the paractice.) In 1878, Pope Leo XIII prohibited the hiring of new castrati by the church. 10 By 1900 there were only 16 castrati singing in the Sistine Chapel and other Catholic choirs in Europe. In 1902, Pope Leo XIII ruled that new castrati would not be admitted to the Sistine Chapel. 7 In 1903, Pope Pius X formally banned adult male sopranos from the Vatican. 9The Church's last castrati, Alessandro Moreschi, died in 1922. 9

http://www.religioustolerance.org/rcccast.htm

0 Replies