Question to those who do or do not doubt Christianity

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 08:46 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law and the prophets. I have come, not to abolish them, but to fulfill them. Of this much I assure you; UNTIL HEAVEN AND EARTH PASS AWAY, not the smallest letter of the law, not the smallest part of a letter shall be done away with until it all comes true." Matthew 5:17ff

Do you think it could have been a metaphor for people to think that nothing was fully explained, or fully understood, until Jesus had died and destroyed all evil for man, and saved us all? Meaning nothing mattered till his death had taken place?

Or do you look at that as he is litterally saying that everything that is written in a book, is going to have to come true, and will have to happen...And is impossible to be altered...Up until the Heavens and Earth actually physically pass away?

Wouldn't his death alter the outcome to ever persons life?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 08:53 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
The morality of the New Testament is ACCORDING TO JESUS...the same as of the Old Testament.

According to Jesus or according to Matthew? Matthew's gospel was written about 70 years after the crucifiction. Chinese whispers and all that.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 08:54 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Probably because he's spent too long talking to you.

Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 08:58 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:
Jesus had died and destroyed all evil for man, and saved us all? Meaning nothing mattered till his death had taken place?

Talk about a leap of faith or a leap of BS mountain.

Quote:
.Up until the Heavens and Earth actually physically pass away?

Wouldn't his death alter the outcome to ever persons life?

no
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 09:00 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
no

How come?

If there is a God, and afterlife...it would...Are you saying no just because you do not believe it? Or are you saying no, because it has errors in it? In the context I have given?
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 09:06 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:
If there is a God, and afterlife...it would...Are you saying no just because you do not believe it? Or are you saying no, because it has errors in it? In the context I have given?

I am saying no because it takes a stretch of an imagination to believe it. Kinda like believing the world is going to end on 12/21/12
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 09:09 am
@reasoning logic,
So then the answer to my question...is that it is not an incorrect context...But you do not believe it is true...

Thank you Logic, but it would have been easier to just tell me that...
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 09:10 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
I simply does not make any sense.

Damn, almost made it through the year without a mistake. Wink
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 09:16 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5210850)
Frank Apisa wrote:
The morality of the New Testament is ACCORDING TO JESUS...the same as of the Old Testament.

According to Jesus or according to Matthew? Matthew's gospel was written about 70 years after the crucifiction. Chinese whispers and all that.

Good point, Izzy. And so it goes with everything written in that book.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 09:17 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:
Thank you Logic, but it would have been easier to just tell me that...

no
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 09:24 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
no

Because you do not want to be forthcoming?

Or because you do not believe that?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 09:40 am
@Frank Apisa,
Which is why literalists should always be taken with a pinch of salt. It's also why a lot of atheists try to portray all believers as literalists because it's very easy to argue against.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 09:43 am
@Frank Apisa,
Matthew was also the Biblical equivalent of a celebrated A2K poster. He paraphrased a lot of Mark and passed it off as his own, much in the same way this poster paraphrases Wikipedia.

0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 09:46 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:
Because you do not want to be forthcoming?

Or because you do not believe that?

It was because I disagreed with you.

You said

Quote:
it would have been easier to just tell me that...

And I said no, because the word no that I used in the beginning was easy for me to use.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 09:57 am
@spendius,
Quote:
. An even luckier chap managed to trade his other half for a full barrel of beer!

It's an improvement on shelling out a few grand in legal fees. Definitely.

a threat to sell a wife was used to keep an enslaved husband under a master's discipline. A free wife might be sold into slavery,
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 01:52 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, with all due respect, I am asking this question of rl because he is the one that brought the subject up. It is commonly brought up in Christian chatrooms by nonbelievers and I always ask why, if God doesn't do it that way anymore, is it even important? Why isn't the fact it doesn't happen anymore good enough? I honestly would like someone to answer that for me. There must be a reason it is done and I do not want to assume why they do it so I ask.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 02:23 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
I honestly would like someone to answer that for me.

If you would like my opinion...I will give you mine...though I am a believer...

I think it is important to non-believers because it is indicitive to them as to how this God thinks or operates...

Because he has said it...Commanded it...Or believers of his have done things that they feel are questionable...

Though I understand what you are saying...Or I think I do...

If Jesus gave us peace...And they have it...And all these things that happened gave them the luxeries that they have....

Why even add insult to injury and complain how that is not good enough? Especially if they already do not even believe this God is real...

Because if this God is not real, then he did not do them anyways...

And I honestly think that many atheists try to take on too much...Or take too much...try to explain everything...and are not really asking...because they want to know....and do not think about things, before they try to ask/tell again...

I am just saying so from all perspectives, because we both believe he is real...

Hope this helped...
Arella Mae

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 02:25 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Thank you for the kind reply. I do appreciate it.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 02:28 pm
@Arella Mae,
Your welcome!

But keep in mind...Only a non believer can actually affirm if that is how they actually see it or not...As I am not one...
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 02:39 pm
@Arella Mae,
I personally think that an atheist saying that he is evil....Or this God is wrong etc....Is indicitive to us believers that they do believe he is...Or atleast have a belief about him...

Because if they truly did not...All they would have to say is, it does not matter what the Bible claims...Or how evil he is, or is not...Because he does not exist, anyways....

And you hear very, very few atheists actually make this claim...But it is the most simple and obvious one that a non-believer would make about God...That they have no belief about...