Question to those who do or do not doubt Christianity

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 03:34 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
so yes I do think that there are better books out there. There are books out there that explain reality a little closer to the truth than the bibles that are out there.

Doesn't this sound (to you) a lot like how many people view these religious books? Why would you think the books you read are any closer to reality? Or Truth? That is a subjective opinion....The truth is...Is that you think it is more truthful...And base your life and morality, or your lifestyle around it, as I do the Bible...Meaning the books do nothing...But we do everything...Therefor, there is no reason to believe a book is anything more than just a book...Or that a Bible is not as truthful as a science book...Mate....It is all what you believe, and do with the information you learn from any book you read...= belief and faith...
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 03:55 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
And I can prove to you that you have a belief and faith mate...Cause there is evidence that more books have come, and may even be some sort of proof that more will...But no one knows for sure that it will happen, and it doesn't have too, and it may never happen...And you know this, whether you say you use evidence or not...Or rely on empirical data...Or Math, or probability or Statistics or whatever...But all it really is, is you having a belief and faith that it someday will...but it may not...And does not have to be...And you already know this while thinking that it will...

Same exact thing with religion, and Bibles or religious scriptures...Only for the most part...They try to remain unchanged as long as they have been...

That is why I trust a religious book for my morality, and not one that is purposly altered...

Cause then there are no common things that are agreed to be universally accepted...And anyone is free to say that something is moral just because and everyone will have to think or believe it is auto worthy...when the fact is...Many things just are not....And should not be even given time to rationalize if true or not...
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 05:21 am
I am not jealous of people being rich, since I am next to poor...But I do like this song, and was interested in sharing it to others to listen to it...Just to hear there opinions...

Just thought about this though...It is kinda Ironic, Cause this band is pretty rich and famous...themselves...

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 06:49 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:
But then it really has nothing to do with the book itself, but the people like I said I think it is...So there really is no reason to believe that these other books...Are better than the religious ones...But that people who use these books act different...Or do you think that if people start making mistakes with these better books, it was the books fault? If not, why would it be a religious books fault?..

I don't think that books are at fault even though there may be false information in them.

Quote:
..Even if it is taught to be perfect...?

Here's the problem, If a book is taught to be perfect then it seems that we have a religion.

Quote:
Do you think that people who embrace them owe it to themselves to understand what the book may mean compared to what they think it does or have been taught?

Yes but if they are brainwashed as children it may be difficult for them to be non biased.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 06:56 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:
Why would you think the books you read are any closer to reality?

Because we can show trough experimentation that some things we know to be true will repeat themselves over and over again when tested. We are unable to come up with the same results with some of the claims in these bibles.
spendius

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 07:07 am
@reasoning logic,
Which claims? Are you sure you are not approaching the Bible from your end rather than from the end the writers were at?
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 08:18 am
@spendius,
Quote:
Which claims?

Too many claims to list.

spendius

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 08:32 am
@reasoning logic,
Which claims? Never mind the "with a bound Jack was free" stuff.

When you assert--"We are unable to come up with the same results with some of the claims in these bibles" what are we supposed to do if we don't know which claims you are talking about?

Are we supposed to be withered with the wisecrack?
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 08:57 am
@spendius,
Quote:
Which claims? Never mind the "with a bound Jack was free" stuff.

When you assert--"We are unable to come up with the same results with some of the claims in these bibles" what are we supposed to do if we don't know which claims you are talking about?

Are we supposed to be withered with the wisecrack?

There are too many to list "that is why I gave you the short video that included many of them and if you do not care to watch it that is your choice. Wink
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 09:25 am
@spendius,
If you would prefer a Jewish take on it you may like this video.

spendius

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 12:18 pm
@reasoning logic,
I didn't ask Mr Black the question rl. If you have no answer then the statement you made has no meaning other than you thinking we are stupid.

In which case what is your reason for addressing us?

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 12:20 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
In which case what is your reason for addressing us?

I'm not sure spendius could it be the same reason you address people with sophistry? I doubt it.

You didn't find Mr. black hilarious?
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 01:50 pm
@spendius,
spendius what do you think about televangelism?

spendius

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 02:16 pm
@reasoning logic,
I don't use sophistry. Provide an example if you will be so kind. Let's see if you can do better than you have with the claims in the Bible.

If you can't I feel sure viewers with IQs above 85 will know what to think.

I didn't watch the video. Mainly because I can't reply to Mr Black. You suggesting the piece is hilarious might well be similar to your other remarks. An empty noise I mean.

What are "some of the claims in these bibles"? What are my sophistries?
spendius

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 02:19 pm
@reasoning logic,
How would I know? I never see any.

I would guess it involves trying to turn used air passing through the vocal chords into money.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 03:22 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
I don't use sophistry. Provide an example if you will be so kind. Let's see if you can do better than you have with the claims in the Bible.

I did try and you can proof my work if you would like. If my memory does not fail me I remember you talking to another member how you use sophistry as a form of entertainment.

I tried to find the link but was unable but I found others but when you do a search of them on this site type the words spendius and sophistry and you will see a link on page 49 but when you click on it you may not see what was said as I was not able to.
spendius

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 04:12 pm
@reasoning logic,
If you did a search on those two words I think you would be likely referred to this page we are on now.

If I said that I use sophistry as a form of entertainment it doesn't mean that I do. The sophistry is betrayed by the argument it is detected in and yours are chock full of the most simple-minded types of it.

Do you think sophistry is a bad thing? Who knows whether going off the Fiscal Cliff is a good thing or a bad thing? Nobody. They can only guess. So any recommendation about whether to go over or do a deal on the edge is sophistical or naive. The law of unintended consequences must always be borne in mind. What is done depends upon which sophistry is the most plausible and keep your fingers crossed.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 04:20 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
If you did a search on those two words I think you would be likely referred to this page we are on now.

I would have thought the same thing but I did not see any mention of this page.

Quote:
If I said that I use sophistry as a form of entertainment it doesn't mean that I do.

Are you saying that you lied about it? Kind of like you being an atheist?

Quote:

Do you think sophistry is a bad thing?

What do you think about it? I think that if it is not being intellectually honest I have a hard time seeing where it could be a good thing.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 04:39 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,

Quote:
I am not jealous of people being rich, since I am next to poor...But I do like this song, and was interested in sharing it to others to listen to it...Just to hear there opinions...

I listened to you music video but I will be honest I may need to watch it more than once to get a better understanding of where they are coming from but I do have an idea.

It is good that you are not jealous and neither am I there will always be some people that have more wealth than others and I see nothing wrong with being rich as long as they get it honestly.

If I Was President.

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2012 07:05 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
I don't think that books are at fault even though there may be false information in them.

Is this a subjective opinion of what truth and false information is? So then you agree it is not the books but people?

Quote:
Here's the problem, If a book is taught to be perfect then it seems that we have a religion.

I don't think anything about any religion is perfect...But yet I am a faithful believer...Suppose I am for a sec...Why would you say I may be?

Quote:
Yes but if they are brainwashed as children it may be difficult for them to be non biased.

What makes you think they are brainwashed, if you do not have beliefs? Is it possible this could happen with science books? Or atheism? Or are you certain that it never could?
0 Replies