Question to those who do or do not doubt Christianity

spendius

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:32 am
@Krumple,
Quote:
All the christians and theists know that atheists sit around our alters with naked prostitutes and drinking ourselves into a disobedient stupor before we cut the throats of a few goats and pour the blood over everyone's body.

No they don't. They know you are all nice, well brought up Christians underneath that solipsism which objects to a way of thinking that disapproves of certain sexual behaviour patterns, with different degrees of emphasis, from wanking all the way up to slicing up an unborn mite, when it is in the place evolution designed so carefully for its welfare, and pulling it out of the exit a bit at a time and dropping the cuts into the sanitised bin while nobody is looking.

A regulation bin of course. With a bio-degradable liner containing no substances which when incinerated will cause any harm to humans when settling on all the parked cars and lovingly tended gardens.
spendius

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 05:41 am
@spendius,
The mite owing its existence to a loving, passionate embrace in a quasi-romantic setting, between two loving and deeply loved persons who became unaware at some point of the dangers they were running on behalf of the poor little defenceless mite which, who is to say, "coulda bin a champion". Or, at least, one of the presenters of Fox News' Fox Extra feechewer.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 06:43 am
@Krumple,
That was a very garbled, and quite painful, attempt to turn my comment on its head. Sometimes the best response is no response.
spendius

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 07:04 am
@spendius,
One cannot help observing, in line with Krumpie's jungle tribe's tried and tested way of proceeding, when seeing Fox News' Fox Extra, whether any of the post Roe/Wade presenters were considered for the chop by their close family and intimate friends.

I once made the observation to some pals in the pub when we were watching a partially dressed young lady aggravating us all to near apoplexy. The point I was making, in my usual half-assed manner, was that here we were in the pub with our total attention fixed on this sinuous female and her very presence might be conditional on some decision taken about twenty years ago by persons unknown and that it had been a correct decision.

The real point is an old cliche about life being very odd.

I'm here because Tom Finney hit the post with a penalty. But I've told that story before on these threads. I daresay I'm not unique in this regard.

After reading Philip Larkin's tale about how his mother and father met I was minded to ask my mother how she met my father. Which I did at a family do. The first page of Tristram Shandy minded me to ask her about the circumstances of my conception but I thought I shouldn't so I didn't.

Why do you think there are official licences for the sales of intoxicating liquor, music playing and dance-halls. It's obvious. It's the best way of matching up the boys and girls to get a vibrant, go-getting tribe and the proof of the pudding is in your eating of it. And Christianity invented it.

If it is going off, if it is going off, it is because a few uppity women made a nice career out of challenging Christian thinking and wish us to try a new way. Sober, jive-free networking ****.

Krumple

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 07:06 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

That was a very garbled, and quite painful, attempt to turn my comment on its head. Sometimes the best response is no response.

But wouldn't you like that too much?
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 07:12 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Why do you think there are official licences for the sales of intoxicating liquor, music playing and dance-halls. It's obvious. It's the best way of matching up the boys and girls to get a vibrant, go-getting tribe and the proof of the pudding is in your eating of it. And Christianity invented it.

I seem to recall during the 1920s hard core chrisitan groups petitioned the government to ban the sale of alcohol all together. A law which failed dramatically and later was over turned. Why we haven't learned this important lessen is beyond me. Every thing chritianity touches turns to evil. Yeah they think they are doing good by it but really they are deluted as usual.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 07:32 am
@spendius,
It is a momentous experiment to have a classless society. Historic in the true sense.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of it it is a hypothesis. Anybody who doesn't know that is not even a novice intellectual.

The Constitution is a hypothesis. One only need read Carl Van Doren's piecing together of the sketchy records of the period pre-ceding the agreement to see that. What is now the electoral college system was voted down 8 to 2 the first time it was put to the delegates.

It struck me reading The Great Rehearsal that all the delegates, except General Washington of course, who we were brought up to think never told a lie, did have a vested interest. They were inventing a bigger stage on which to play the power game. There were juicier prospects in the union than on the parochial levels. The General first to gain acceptance due to his reputation for honest dealing and then when he's gone, him having agreed to do so, the dog-fight begins.
spendius

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 07:43 am
@spendius,
It's just the same now with attempts to form a European union except that we have no General Washington. The idea that what comes out of it, if it comes off, has been brought down from the mountain chiselled in stone is laughable.
Krumple

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 07:44 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

It is a momentous experiment to have a classless society. Historic in the true sense.

Where is this classless society?

spendius wrote:

The Constitution is a hypothesis.

Well it was a good place to start. Politicians didn't respect it even from an early time before the ink was dry they wanted to make changes. They have been doing so ever since.

spendius wrote:

What is now the electoral college system was voted down 8 to 2 the first time it was put to the delegates.

It is no longer a good system. The system was useful when people had a hard time traveling to poling locations. Now we have the technology to not need to elect someone else to vote on our behalf. Although true democracy is only good on pirate ships.

spendius wrote:

It struck me reading The Great Rehearsal that all the delegates, except General Washington of course, who we were brought up to think never told a lie, did have a vested interest. They were inventing a bigger stage on which to play the power game. There were juicier prospects in the union than on the parochial levels. The General first to gain acceptance due to his reputation for honest dealing and then when he's gone, him having agreed to do so, the dog-fight begins.

Too bad they didn't implement a policy that said the president or politicians needed to join the front lines if they were to proclaim war or if war were upon us. Today's politicians leave the dying to the gullible farm boys so they can collect the pay checks of war mongering.

spendius

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 07:46 am
@spendius,
Possibly such an idea is embraced by those who have a vaguely conscious yearning for a simpler life.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 08:05 am
@Krumple,
Quote:
Too bad they didn't implement a policy that said the president or politicians needed to join the front lines if they were to proclaim war or if war were upon us. Today's politicians leave the dying to the gullible farm boys so they can collect the pay checks of war mongering.

That's a complicated matter but a great deal of trouble and very serious suffering was caused by Roman Emperors feeling it was their duty to lead their men on the battlefield. To say nothing of the nuisance he must have been to his generals.

And then there's the gullible farm boys who didn't die, the great majority, and whose heroic status rests on the ones who did and who come back to jobs off the farm because of it. Even the ones in the motor pool catch something of it. Sgt Henshaw after leaving the service would have some tales to tell.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 08:11 am
@spendius,
Quote:

You sure about that?

Seems to me I've seen documentaries about primitive, pagan societies--decidedly non-Christian--that have gatherings where intoxicating beverages; music playing, and dancing are all staples.

Have I been mislead?
spendius

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 08:28 am
@Krumple,
Quote:
Well it was a good place to start. Politicians didn't respect it even from an early time before the ink was dry they wanted to make changes. They have been doing so ever since.

I think you missed the point Krumpie. Any changes made would be for the same reason that the agreement was reached and merely the result of tweaking the instrument after finding a possible flaw with afterthought.

The reason, in case you've forgotten, was, and still is, providing a larger stage to play the power game on.

The NCSE wants to control the educational system. It doesn't give a damn whether evolution is taught in schools. That's just one of the levers by which it hopes to shift the gullible chattering classes into eagerly allowing it to do so.

Krumple

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 08:34 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:

I think you missed the point Krumpie. Any changes made would be for the same reason that the agreement was reached and merely the result of tweaking the instrument after finding a possible flaw with afterthought.

The reason, in case you've forgotten, was, and still is, providing a larger stage to play the power game on.

The NCSE wants to control the educational system. It doesn't give a damn whether evolution is taught in schools. That's just one of the levers by which it hopes to shift the gullible chattering classes into eagerly allowing it to do so.

Generally governments over time become more and more corrupt. Which is why they should be ratified every now and then. The only problem is, usually something worse replaces the previous system. Intentions are usually good but it is destined to fail because that is the nature of governments.

There will always be people who want power over others. So they can have control of the resources and have them at their demand while making everyone else struggle or desire them. Even better if you can turn your citizens into slaves and they aren't even aware that they are slaves. This way the elite and it's friends can bask in the success of oppression.
spendius

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 08:36 am
@Frank Apisa,
No you haven't been misled Frank. There was the Saturnalia and the Feasts of Isis. And the Eleusinian Mysteries which are rarely talked about. Goodness knows what else.

But we know too little about them to draw any conclusions. They might not have been as random as they look to us. The masked ball was mainly a faux affair.

All we can say for sure is that they carried the notion. Organising it properly is another matter.
spendius

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 10:45 am
@spendius,
I am well aware Frank that you are unable to grant Christianity any credit for anything and thus are constrained to indulge in tortuous thinking patterns due to it being blatantly obvious that it is responsible for everything. Good and bad.
spendius

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 11:12 am
@Krumple,
Quote:
Generally governments over time become more and more corrupt. Which is why they should be ratified every now and then. The only problem is, usually something worse replaces the previous system. Intentions are usually good but it is destined to fail because that is the nature of governments.

But I am suggesting that the Constitution was corrupt except for General Washington whose honesty cannot be called into question. But he did emerge president. The original first estates of nobility and priesthood were set aside in the interests of carpetbaggers.

And it cannot be denied that it has worked out quite well so far and that the failure of all previous attempts at republicanism was due to not having them managed by carpetbaggers.

All the delegates could reasonable expect to be filling senior roles in the new Union of 13 states and be in a position to use them in their own bids for the top at a later stage.

The path for sweet talking legalists was swept more or less clean and strewn with roses.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 11:16 am
@spendius,
Quote:
I am well aware Frank that you are unable to grant Christianity any credit for anything and thus are constrained to indulge in tortuous thinking patterns due to it being blatantly obvious that it is responsible for everything. Good and bad.

Not sure why you think that, Spendius, but most likely that is just Spendius being Spendius. Damn the torpedoes...full speed ahead.

Christianity has made huge, necessary, and helpful contributions to the human condition and the human predicament. I have offered words to honor it for its contributions in the past...and will offer words to honor it in the future.

You were giving it credit for something I thought was a far reach...and I called it to your attention. I am not withholding credit from it where it is due...any more than I am withholding words of disapproval where I consider them proper and reasonable.

Sorry you have to go through all that tortured reasoning to make it seem I am doing what I am not.

In any case, I love ya no matter what.

spendius

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 01:24 pm
@Frank Apisa,
What then do you give Xty credit for and what do you disapprove of?
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2012 01:53 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
What then do you give Xty credit for...

Lots and lots of things, Spendius.

Quote:
... and what do you disapprove of?

Even more things, my friend.

I suspect you know the things that would be on most intelligent people's list in both categories. And I doubt it would surprise you to discover that some items would appear on both lists.

In my case, for instance, helping me set a moral compass for myself would be on both lists.