Question to those who do or do not doubt Christianity

FOUND SOUL

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 04:30 am
@izzythepush,
Wonder what he's doing over 4 days Smile

izzythepush

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 05:09 am
@FOUND SOUL,
I dunno, I'm off to Paris next week. I'm taking my little boy to Disneyland.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 02:35 pm
@Krumple,
Hey Krumple did you know that everything the Bible says about the age of the Earth is wrong?

It's at least a couple of weeks older, maybe even three. Any chemist will tell you.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 02:49 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Quote:
Wonder what he's doing over 4 days

That's a good idea for a creative writing class. It would for sure sort the wheat from the chaff. An essay. A chapter. If I had the time I could easy do 300 pages. 6oo even.

You could work some **** into a subject like that.

Philosophy, sociology, economic, politics, scatology, passages of lascivious hyperbole, dietary suggestions, the engineering of the on/off switch, the solar cycle, Mrs Jolly's cream cakes (she owes me one for holding the steps while she climbed into her attic), cladistics, (fm would read it just because cladistics were mentioned in the publisher's blurb), what's the best time to dig potatoes up, with a potted biog. of the potato and it's uses, literature. . . .there's no limit.

Although you would have to write fast to keep pace with yourself so it stays authentic. On the other hand the fourth day keeps receding at the same pace. So you could stay authentic, the real test of a writer, as long as you treat the next four days as if they were always the next four days and you leave out most of the exciting parts like your birthday or packing a suitcase and flying to the other end of the earth which are rare events although not rare enough despite how wonderful they are.

And WHAT I'M DOING FOR THE NEXT FOUR DAYS is quite a striking title. You could make resolutions galore. And if one of them was to mow the lawn tomorrow you could easy do some filling on the joys of owning a ATCO blade mower and how to do those lines on the grass like you see at Roal Ascot or in next-door's garden. If you didn't mow the lawn it wouldn't matter.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 02:55 pm
@izzythepush,
That sounds kindy of funny, here, sitting in Aussie Land.

"I'm going to Paris to see Disneyland"... Mind you I am jealous a little Smile
FOUND SOUL

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 02:57 pm
@spendius,
A question, turned into an essay itself!!!!! How long did that take you to write 15 minutes? Smile
izzythepush

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 03:08 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Well I've always wanted to see Angkor Wat, and that's not so far from you.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 03:10 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
FOUND SOUL wrote:

A question, turned into an essay itself!!!!! How long did that take you to write 15 minutes? Smile

It normally takes Spendi half an hour to write for fifteen minutes.
spendius

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 05:02 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:

If you are hoping for a jest in bad taste izzy, forget it.
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 06:05 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
It normally takes Spendi half an hour to write for fifteen minutes.

If this is true then he is doing better than me because it would take me 2 hours to post 15 minutes worth of reading. Not trying to put myself down but rather being somewhat honest. Wink
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 06:13 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Quote:
Each and everyone of you and thousands of others are either, turning to science, following belief of a philosopher, the Bible and the bottom line is, everyone, absolutely everyone therefore is questioning because if you weren't you, being (people) would not be trying to find a belief or no belief or 1/2 belief ....to justify that a God exists.

Quote:
if you weren't you, being (people) would not be trying to find a belief or no belief or 1/2 belief ....to justify that a God exists.

Are you sure that this is the case for Ryan as well?

I guess you are correct because he seems to be trying to find that belief but he will probably tell you that he already knows it. I could be wrong about that, maybe he will shed some light on the matter.

I myself am under the impression that I am probably wrong about most of the things I think are correct but I personally think that philosophy and or science may be able to show a better way forward than I can. Smile
FOUND SOUL

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 02:58 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
In a way yes. Ryan reads "parts of the Bible" to clarify his own thoughts and therefore, from those thoughts he gains belief and the more he clarifies the more he believes, there is nothing wrong with that, that is the whole idea of God, believe. However, am I sure that he needs to justify one does exist. No. 1) Because it's his business so he doesn't have to justify to anyone and 2) because he believes he has clarified enough and therefore, believes, not just from the Bible and consequently he doesn't have to justify it. 3) But he is, here on each thread Smile

Now where he is saying he is trying to "find" you are right there too.. Confused? lols. I think that he takes what is said to him and if he feels he has an answer he goes for it, if he hasn't worked that part out yet, he admits he may be wrong...

For me? What ever I believe , I know it exists because I believe it, simple, end of story... That could make me a preacher? Smile

RL in my honest opinion all those things are learning curbs. What can you gain from them in knowledge? Ultimately you have to believe in you, therefore, what decisions you make, not what other people decide they think is the answer and that goes for philosophy and science in my opinion.

We are not sheep. 1 herd goes this way, 1 goes that way, 1 goes the other, who will win?

izzythepush

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 04:04 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:

If you are hoping for a jest in bad taste izzy, forget it.

Isn't that what you've just done?
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 11:05 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Let me try and reword what you wrote. "First, you can not prove a Easter bunny does not exist, just like I can not prove he does...So that leads to a leap of faith...and a belief...Strike one against religion?

If it was, (as you believe they are on the same plane), I do not...Do you think that education, and neurological studies with change people minds about the Easter bunny, if they "believe" he is real?

Quote:
Are you saying that a God can be by just chance but we can not? Do you have some sort of evidence?

No, I am saying if everything happened by pure chance...There is no point, to anything, really....And people could be good people, and bad people, and it makes no difference, at all...If there is a God....Whether we like the results, or not, in the end...There is strictly, a purpose to everything....Whether explained now, or not....No, I do not have evidence for this...It is pretty straight forward....If there is no God...There really, is no point to even being given life...And it makes Zero difference what you do, with your life, as it will all end someday...If a God exists....Whether we like the results or not....No one can say the same thing....There is a reason for everything....Whether life all ends one day, or not, if there is some sort of afterlife...Life will never end...And people are responsible for what they do, here...

Quote:
Just because we can not prove there is not an Easter bunny why should we waste our time even considering disproving its existence?

Good question, why don't you? You try to do it with a God, why not other things, such as a spaghetti monster, and tooth fairy? If they are equal?

Quote:
People can be very educated and still believe in a God so I am not sure what you mean.

That an atheist tries to argue, that any one with any form of spiritual experience, must be sick...Or try to argue, they are delusional, nonsensical, irrational, lacking education etc....And what you said above, said it perfectly...It can not possibly be true in every circumstance....therefor, you have millions of cases of spiritual experiences, that can not be explained, And point to a God, and afterlife....That no one can destroy, with science, brain studies, lacking education, brainwashed...etc...They were genuine...And they are explaining exactly what they saw...

Quote:
Where is this science that you speak of that atheist use to disprove a God?

Atheists, say all the dang time, that science goes against religion....and that they use it to "prove" a God, is not real...Or by using it, they know a God is not, and never was...Because science contradicts religion....But not even a scientist, uses science for these purposes....So how are they not a belief, using science....to try to discredit a God? That they reject they even do?

0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 11:18 pm
@Krumple,
Quote:
I always find it facinating when theists talk about chance or randomness as if it were a bad thing. Like they simply can not accept the universe if it happened by accident or chance or randomness. Yet there are aspects of every day life that is subject to randomness and chance but they must ignore these things or skip right over them as if they weren't random?

Why is it that you can accept these random bits but you can't accept the fact that the universe might be random? To me it sounds more like grasping at straws for some reasoning to reject an idea.

Just because you don't like randomness doesn't mean that it is not true. It sure as hell doesn't mean that a god exists because you don't like randomness. And I don't believe in any gods yet my life has purpose and meaning, the fact that you can't find meaning or purpose for a life without needing or requiring the existence of a god, makes your imagination quite limited.

Not at all...I would have no problem with randomness...the problem is...It is even less believable than a God giving everything meaning....Whether it seems Good, or bad...

And I always find it fascinating, that someone tells me, everything was random, but yet there life has purpose, and they actually have reasons to be a good person, instead of a bad one....What are these reasons? Why do you do them? What keeps you from doing bad ones? When you do a bad one, what do you do or say? How do you change, so you do not repeat it, again? etc....

Just because, I view it from the flip side, does not mean I use God as a crutch....and my imagination is limited....In fact, it takes a far more imaginative person, to imagine a God who is not, then the other way around, first....And second....It is far, much, harder to be obedient, to something who does not 100% prove himself, and have faith....And keep on plugging away....then just think...It makes no difference, so I am going to do what makes me happy....(I do not believe that most atheists, actually are out there doing amazing things for humanity, sorry I do not believe it)

You say that you do....But yet you told me before, that you do not like religion, because they impose morality onto you, and others, so I will ask again, what are the things you wish to do, that are imposed, that you can not? I have asked you like 3 or 4 times, and you never answered, and I bet you will not again! And you also said, that forcing your morality, is the best way...So again, you believe the Church is wrong for doing it? And you believe you should be able to do, what you want? And force your morality? Does not at all, sound like someone, who is doing amazingly, great things, as a person without a God....and More about a person, who wants to do, what she wants to do...Without any ramifications about her actions....
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 11:27 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Quote:
Each and everyone of you and thousands of others are either, turning to science, following belief of a philosopher, the Bible and the bottom line is, everyone, absolutely everyone therefore is questioning because if you weren't you, being (people) would not be trying to find a belief or no belief or 1/2 belief ....to justify that a God exists.

Which still points squarely, on the fact that atheism, is a form of a belief, and atheism's main centralism, still centers around a God, who they say is not....

So why is there lack of belief, not called a belief of Scientistism? Or something...?

Rather than what they are, based upon something, they are not?

That is like me saying, instead of saying, I am from the US...I am NOT from....and listing every other nation on the globe....

It makes no sense, and they think, theists are irrational?

I know these questions are rhetoric's....they are not really intended, for you to answer...but just for others to see and think about...But you can answer if you would like too!
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 11:59 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
reasoning logic wrote:

I guess you are correct because he seems to be trying to find that belief but he will probably tell you that he already knows it. I could be wrong about that, maybe he will shed some light on the matter.

I myself am under the impression that I am probably wrong about most of the things I think are correct but I personally think that philosophy and or science may be able to show a better way forward than I can.

FOUND SOUL wrote:
In a way yes. Ryan reads "parts of the Bible" to clarify his own thoughts and therefore, from those thoughts he gains belief and the more he clarifies the more he believes, there is nothing wrong with that, that is the whole idea of God, believe. However, am I sure that he needs to justify one does exist. No. 1) Because it's his business so he doesn't have to justify to anyone and 2) because he believes he has clarified enough and therefore, believes, not just from the Bible and consequently he doesn't have to justify it. 3) But he is, here on each thread Smile

Now where he is saying he is trying to "find" you are right there too.. Confused? lols. I think that he takes what is said to him and if he feels he has an answer he goes for it, if he hasn't worked that part out yet, he admits he may be wrong...

For me? What ever I believe , I know it exists because I believe it, simple, end of story... That could make me a preacher?

[/quote]That is not, how I see, how, I act, on here....I think, I have an answer for everything....And everything, includes not knowing...I have found a lot of useful value from everyone on here...But a true Prophet, would never reveal everything anyways....It takes a truly honest person, to admit they do not know something...Then it does, to be certain of oneself, And think a person, is working against themselves...Or is not sure enough of themselves to give an answer, they believe is true....But truly do not know it is...And know it is just something they believe is true....

There are many, many things, I know to be true, and have no doubts about them....And why I follow Jesus Christ....And there are many, many things that have been revealed to me, by God, that it is correct, for me to tell another, I think they have said good things...Or I am not sure...But keep in mind a Prophet saying he is not sure....Is as good as saying, what they have said, is a valid point...There, I just gave you one thing, I would almost never reveal...But just to show you the magnitude of what I mean, you now understand it, and can feel it for yourself...

And to me, it has nothing to do, with self doubts...Or needing a learning curve, that others do not...I think everyone, could use learning curves, whether they believe everything they know to be true, and are certain or not...Or if a person, doubts that many things they say, are in fact true...

Everyone, should have some doubts...Like you said before, about questioning things....If you have no self doubts....Maybe a learning curve, (if you are willing to be open to accept, what I think is one) would be...to learn to understand, that a person who appears to have self doubts, is actually not a person with doubts at all...But a person being 100% honest...And the most honest answer would be, I do not know...Or you have a valid point....In some circumstances....And that it does not take a person to be 100% sure of themselves, in that circumstance, to fully understand what the other person is actually saying....But to be honest, and say, I do not know, or you have a good point, or even an I am wrong....No offense, or saying you need to do this....Just an honest opinion of a learning curve, we could all learn from...

No offense, that is just my honest opinion....Just like yours...

I totally believe in the belief in yourself....But I also believe, if it is necessary, one should say, they do not know, or another is right...In certain circumstances....And that does not make a person unsure of themselves...And it does not mean they need to learn something....I think it means they are being 100% truthful about everything they know....Not saying you are not....Or you need to learn....Or anything...

I think we all know certain things, we believe are correct...we all do not know certain things...And the best answer is I am unsure....Because it is the honest answer....And it does not mean to me, someone has doubts with themselves....And sometimes, it is best to say I was wrong...Because that is where the full learning curve comes in...
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 12:26 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
@Krumple

Quote:
Just because you don't like randomness doesn't mean that it is not true. It sure as hell doesn't mean that a god exists because you don't like randomness. And I don't believe in any gods yet my life has purpose and meaning, the fact that you can't find meaning or purpose for a life without needing or requiring the existence of a god, makes your imagination quite limited.

And does it make theists minds of imagination quite limited, when we can fathom existence forever, and an atheist can not fathom this? Nor would they want too?
Krumple

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 12:30 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:
And does it make theists minds of imagination quite limited, when we can fathom existence forever, and an atheist can not fathom this? Nor would they want too?

I love how you try so hard spade. I don't think it takes any imagination what so ever to wish that you continue existing after you body dies. However; I do think it takes a huge amount of imagination to explain exactly how that could realistically happen. I like to think I have a great imagination yet every time I try to examine just how an after life would function I always end up in failure. I think it takes ignoring reality to believe in an after life rather than the other way around. I think you have to suspend your rational mind to believe in an after life.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 12:39 am
@FOUND SOUL,
I totally believe in the belief in yourself....But I also believe, if it is necessary, one should say, they do not know, or another is right...In certain circumstances....And that does not make a person unsure of themselves...And it does not mean they need to learn something....I think it means they are being 100% truthful about everything they know....Not saying you are not....Or you need to learn....Or anything...

I think we all know certain things, we believe are correct...we all do not know certain things...And the best answer is I am unsure....Because it is the honest answer....And it does not mean to me, someone has doubts with themselves....And sometimes, it is best to say I was wrong...Because that is where the full learning curve comes in...

And makes a person 100% truthful....100% sure of themselves....(Even if they do not know!) And learning Every curve there is to learn from...

That is why, I act the way, I do....
0 Replies