Question to those who do or do not doubt Christianity

reasoning logic

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 12:54 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:
What do you think will happen in 10,000 years from now? the Irreligious, will keep trying to evolve...And the faithful believers, will still believe...You either believe or do not...What do they need to evolve, in order to remain faithful to Jesus?

Not trying to be mean or anything but in my opinion there will always be some people who believe in ghost, fairies, Gods and so forth but I do think that the numbers will become smaller as more people become educated. Education alone is not the the reason why people believe in these things because there are some people who may be able to be educated but because of their neuro network these people may still experience different sensations.

I very well may be wrong about what I say but I guess time will tell.

Education or should I say indoctrination is the number one cause for all beliefs, If the world was taught to believe that the Easter bunny was God from an early age we would have the majority of people believing that it is true but that does not make it true but you can bet those people would fight and kill for it just as they do for all other beliefs.
xxxx

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 01:24 am
@Ragman,
. I simply believe that everyone is there to live a good life and if you do you will have a good future. I don't not specifically believe in any gods. I don't could care less is they existed or not. But if someone came to me and said he was Jesus I would just believe him because I don't have any reason to doubt him. Also, there's no harm in believing.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 03:47 am
@reasoning logic,
Do you believe that education could ever lead people back to square one? That there is a God, and there is no other way, but his?

Or do you believe, that people, who believe in God, lack education, and atheists do not?

Quote:
Education or should I say indoctrination is the number one cause for all beliefs, If the world was taught to believe that the Easter bunny was God from an early age we would have the majority of people believing that it is true but that does not make it true but you can bet those people would fight and kill for it just as they do for all other beliefs.

Not to sound mean, but you could never even attempt to "prove" this is actually true...Maybe the reason why people believe in Gods, is because of education, and understanding that a God would never actually be an Easter bunny? But a man of flesh, saying the way to salvation is thru me?

If the 2 are on the same plane to you...Or are just as equal, or likely, does not mean you are right, and it does not mean that people need education...And it does not mean, that indoctrination is the reasons...It is all an opinion...

Just like I believe, that it has nothing to do with indoctrinations, and education...But the voice of reasoning....If people were truly indoctrinated, and lacked education...they would be able to see, very easily, it is nothing but bogus information...Once they actually thought about things, and read the doctrines...But they do not...It instills more faith into them...But like you, I could be wrong also....And it is my opinion...

Do you believe it is possible, that 10,000 years from now, irreligious, are killing believers in the name of education or something, And that they indoctrinate children into "thinking" there is no God? and will be able to see, they may have been wrong all along? Because they will be doing the same, they say religious are wrong for? Or is this not possible?

So what are the solutions? If irreligious, are much more dominant thousands of years from now, are you telling me you believe it will not have anything to do with indoctrinations of irreligious at a young age? And the same thing, from the flip side, you say is happening?

The solution...Is to give a person a freedom of choice...and let them make up there own minds as to what they believe, and what they do not believe....Now, and thousands of years from now...

Nothing about education, and indoctrinations, because that is a form of both, from the other side of things...

Let a person freely chose to learn, and indoctrinate what they want to...And if they believe, it is "proof" they believe, whether a doubter believes it or not...And if they do not...then it is "proof", that they do not believe a God is real...And a believer can say nothing about it....But that still points to faith...So it looks like a believer is right to me....And education, and indoctrination...are not the reasons why....

And if a person is a non believer, then they freely chose to do it...And the opposite, for the opposite...And it has nothing to do with education, only what that person sought to find...And did find...But they have no need, to learn anymore...As long as they are happy with who they are...And freedom of a pro-choice, as to acceptance of a God or not...And the acceptance of faith, or not...

Nothing at all, to me, with neurological brain activity...

That is a cop out...Any one who is not sick, knows what a God is...and knows what it means to believe, and any one who does not, understands the ramifications of that...They really do not need to learn anymore about either of the 2 sides, unless they are looking to find it, to better accept, or prove it, or change or alter it...One way or another...

Therefor, what I said, seems to me, to fit more criteria for a God, still, then not...
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 03:54 am
@xxxx,
Quote:
Also, there's no harm in believing.

That is a very great point, that no one talks about...But I like how you said that...

...If a God does exist, Unless you kill in his name...And may be condemned anyways...There is a point...And reasons to everything, whether known or not...If a God is not real, it makes no difference, so long as you do not kill...or something...it is that much worse, I know you can not believe out of fear...But on that basis alone...I can not seem to fathom how doubting just to say you are right, when you can never prove it anyways, makes more sense, then believing, even if you have doubts....And I do not see how that makes a person illogical, irrational, nonsensical, delusional, lacking education, brainwashed...etc...

It makes more sense, that people who doubt, do it, to either rebel, or because they do not wish to be obedient...to any God, they have ever heard of...Because their own minds, tell them things, like this God must be evil because....Or this God is not real, because...When the fact of the matter is...There is no way for any true God to validate himself, in you, other than acceptance of him...the thing that displeases God the most, is doubt....the thing that pleases God the most, is obedience....And if people who claim to doubt, have more education...Or no neurological problems, like they say believers do...then they surly understand this, if believers do...Or if believers do not....So why do they always ask for "proof"? When we can not give it to them? an they have no lacking education, or brain problems? And how then, are they not lacking education, or have brain problems? The answer must be they do, just like believers do...If they say this, or think this...Which means that there is no problem, or lacking education...It is there free choice to doubt...that they exercise...that they do not even "believe" to be...

BTW...thank you for your first post here! Welcome!
spendius

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 04:19 am
@reasoning logic,
You really ought to take Gibbon seriously rl. He has you pegged as a philosopher.

Quote:
The policy of the emperors and the senate, as far as it concerned religion, was happily seconded by the reflections of the enlightened, and by the habits of the superstitious, part of their subjects. The various modes of worship, which prevailed in the Roman world, were all considered by the people, as equally true; by the philosopher, as equally false; and by the magistrate, as equally useful. And thus toleration produced not only mutual indulgence, but even religious concord.

You see? You're not of the "people" obviously. And I don't think you are a magistrate. There's only "philosopher" left.

What sort of philosopher is a moot point--

Quote:
Of philosophers.
The philosophers of Greece deduced their morals from the nature of man, rather than from that of God. They meditated, however, on the Divine Nature, as a very curious and important speculation; and in the profound inquiry, they displayed the strength and weakness of the human understanding. Of the four most celebrated schools, the Stoics and the Platonists endeavoured to reconcile the jarring interests of reason and piety. They have left us the most sublime proofs of the existence and perfections of the first cause; but, as it was impossible for them to conceive the creation of matter, the workman in the Stoic philosophy was not sufficiently distinguished from the work; whilst, on the contrary, the spiritual God of Plato and his disciples resembled an idea rather than a substance. The opinions of the Academics and Epicureans were of a less religious cast; but whilst the modest science of the former induced them to doubt, the positive ignorance of the latter urged them to deny, the providence of a Supreme Ruler. The spirit of inquiry, prompted by emulation, and supported by freedom, had divided the public teachers of philosophy into a variety of contending sects; but the ingenuous youth who, from every part, resorted to Athens, and the other seats of learning in the Roman empire, were alike instructed in every school to reject and to despise the religion of the multitude. How, indeed, was it possible, that a philosopher should accept, as divine truths, the idle tales of the poets, and the incoherent traditions of antiquity; or, that he should adore, as gods, those imperfect beings whom he must have despised, as men ! Against such unworthy adversaries, Cicero condescended to employ the arms of reason and eloquence; but the satire of Lucian was a much more adequate, as well as more efficacious weapon. We may be well assured, that a writer conversant with the world would never have ventured to expose the gods of his country to public ridicule, had they not already been the objects of secret contempt among the polished and enlightened orders of society. Notwithstanding the fashionable irreligion which prevailed in the age of the Antonines, both the interests of the priests and the credulity of the people were sufficiently respected. In their writings and conversation, the philosophers of antiquity asserted the independent dignity of reason; but they resigned their actions to the commands of law and of custom. Viewing, with a smile of pity and indulgence, the various errors of the vulgar, they diligently practised the ceremonies of their fathers, devoutly frequented the temples of the gods; and sometimes condescending to act a part on the theatre of superstition, they concealed the sentiments of an Atheist under the sacerdotal robes. Reasoners of such a temper were scarcely inclined to wrangle about their respective modes of faith, or of worship. It was indifferent to them what shape the folly of the multitude might choose to assume; and they approached, with the same inward contempt, and the same external reverence, the altars of the Libyan, the Olympian, or the Capitoline Jupiter.

I would say you belong to the "Empty Vessels Make Most Noise" school.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 04:21 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
So why do they always ask for "proof"? When we can not give it to them? an they have no lacking education, or brain problems? And how then, are they not lacking education, or have brain problems? The answer must be they do, Or neither of us do, or those problems do not hinder or make up our minds about those decisions... just like believers do...If they say this, or think this...Which means that there is no problem, or lacking education... etc...Or we all do it...It is there free choice to doubt...that they exercise...that they do not even "believe" to be...
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 04:40 am
@reasoning logic,
And you can not say to me...Would I rather believe in something that is not? Than know something is not true? And believe just for the sake of fear or something...It does not work, And I will explain...

First, you can not prove a God does not exist, just like I can not prove he does...So that leads to a leap of faith...and a belief...Strike one against atheism...

Second, If a God does not exist, then there is ultimately no reason for anything, and everything was chance...With a God there is not...Strike two...

If there is no afterlife, and a God does not exist, no one will actually ever evolve into proving a God does not exist, nor does an after life...as there is none for anyone to go to, to say it does not....And people will only be "thinking" they are evolving into ways to prove it, but can not, nor ever will be...Strike three....

If a God, and after life does, then no atheist can even destroy this...That people have experienced it...And saying someone is sick, or lacks education, is not an acceptable answer, in EVERY account....Strike four....

If a God and after life does exist, and there is a way for people to prove to others, some day, that there is a reason for everything, and that doubters were wrong...everything makes sense, it does not with atheism...Strike five...

Atheists use science to discredit a God, and not even scientists do this...Showing it is a choice, and a belief they freely make....but reject...Strike six....

Theists use faith to find a God, and afterlife, and it is a free choice, and a belief, and Goes in line with God, and what he said....Strike seven....
reasoning logic

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 02:05 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:
First, you can not prove a God does not exist, just like I can not prove he does...So that leads to a leap of faith...and a belief...Strike one against atheism...

Let me try and reword what you wrote. "First, you can not prove a Easter bunny does not exist, just like I can not prove he does...So that leads to a leap of faith...and a belief...Strike one against religion?

Quote:
Second, If a God does not exist, then there is ultimately no reason for anything, and everything was chance...With a God there is not...Strike two...

Are you saying that a God can be by just chance but we can not? Do you have some sort of evidence?

Quote:
If there is no afterlife, and a God does not exist, no one will actually ever evolve into proving a God does not exist, nor does an after life...as there is none for anyone to go to, to say it does not....And people will only be "thinking" they are evolving into ways to prove it, but can not, nor ever will be...Strike three....

Just because we can not prove there is not an Easter bunny why should we waste our time even considering disproving its existence?

Quote:
If a God, and after life does, then no atheist can even destroy this...That people have experienced it...And saying someone is sick, or lacks education, is not an acceptable answer, in EVERY account....Strike four....

People can be very educated and still believe in a God so I am not sure what you mean.
Education in the correct areas will help a person who does not have theistic psychosis. "Ryan's syndrome" Wink Just playing with you Ryan but it does seem true to me. Would you mind if a community of neuroscientists use that when describing some people in the future?

Quote:
Atheists use science to discredit a God, and not even scientists do this...Showing it is a choice, and a belief they freely make....but reject...Strike six....

Where is this science that you speak of that atheist use to disprove a God?

spendius

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 03:19 pm
@reasoning logic,
This Easter Bunny shite is getting a trifle tiresome rl. It wouldn't be so bad if there was some point to it.

There isn't. Nor to the Tooth Fairy or the FSM. It's foam from the mouth.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 10:59 pm
@xxxx,
xxxx wrote:

. I simply believe that everyone is there to live a good life and if you do you will have a good future. I don't not specifically believe in any gods. I don't could care less is they existed or not. But if someone came to me and said he was Jesus I would just believe him because I don't have any reason to doubt him. Also, there's no harm in believing.

How can you honestly say there is no harm in believing? Sure there could be harm. Just like if some guy sells you a cure for some ailment you have but you are just suppose to take his word for it? No, nothing in our sane lives would we do such a thing.

We give or attribute crediblity based on who the person is and what sort of basis they have for holding that position. So if a doctor is handing you some medicine you are more likely to trust the doctor than if it were a bum on the street who hasn't bathed in two months and smells like urine.

A guy who claims he is jesus can ask you do do things that you might not normally do, which could be evil. So are you suppose to just do them because you believe that this guy is jesus? This is how it is harmful and would be harmful, and is harmful to society.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 01:45 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:

I always find it facinating when theists talk about chance or randomness as if it were a bad thing. Like they simply can not accept the universe if it happened by accident or chance or randomness. Yet there are aspects of every day life that is subject to randomness and chance but they must ignore these things or skip right over them as if they weren't random?

Why is it that you can accept these random bits but you can't accept the fact that the universe might be random? To me it sounds more like grasping at straws for some reasoning to reject an idea.

Just because you don't like randomness doesn't mean that it is not true. It sure as hell doesn't mean that a god exists because you don't like randomness. And I don't believe in any gods yet my life has purpose and meaning, the fact that you can't find meaning or purpose for a life without needing or requiring the existence of a god, makes your imagination quite limited.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 01:49 am
@Krumple,
The fact that you have to proseletyse means you're labouring under the delusion that your opinion is important.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 05:24 am
@Krumple,
Edward Gibbon, not a particular friend of Christianity, wrote--

Quote:
The progress of Christianity, and the civil confusion of the empire, contributed to relax the severity of the laws; and, before the close of the third century, many considerable estates were bestowed on the opulent churches of Rome, Milan, Carthage, Antioch, Alexandria, and the other great cities of Italy and the provinces.

Distribution of the revenue.
The bishop was the natural steward of the church; the public stock was intrusted to his care without account or control; the presbyters were confined to their spiritual functions, and the more dependent order of deacons was solely employed in the management and distribution of the ecclesiastical revenue. If we may give credit to the vehement declamations of Cyprian, there were too many among his African brethren who, in the execution of their charge, violated every precept, not only of evangelic perfection, but even of moral virtue. By some of these unfaithful stewards the riches of the church were lavished in sensual pleasures; by others they were perverted to the purposes of private gain, of fraudulent purchases, and of rapacious usury. But as long as the contributions of the Christian people were free and unconstrained, the abuse of their confidence could not be very frequent, and the general uses to which their liberality was applied reflected honour on the religious society. A decent portion was reserved for the maintenance of the bishop and his clergy; a sufficient sum was allotted for the expenses of the public worship, of which the feasts of love, the agapae, as they were called, constituted a very pleasing part. The whole remainder was the sacred patrimony of the poor, According to the discretion of the bishop, it was distributed to support widows and orphans, the lame, the sick, and the aged of the community; to comfort strangers and pilgrims, and to alleviate the misfortunes of prisoners and captives, more especially when their sufferings had been occasioned by their firm attachment to the cause of religion. A generous intercourse of charity united the most distant provinces, and the smaller congregations were cheerfully assisted by the alms of their more opulent brethren. Such an institution, which paid less regard to the merit than to the distress of the object, very materially conduced to the progress of Christianity. The pagans, who were actuated by sense of humanity, while they derided the doctrines, acknowledged the benevolence, of the new sect. The prospect of immediate relief and of future protection allured into its hospitable bosom many of those unhappy persons whom the neglect of the world would have abandoned to the miseries of want, of sickness, and of old age. There is some reason likewise to believe that great numbers of infants who, according to the inhuman practice of the times, had been exposed by their parents, were frequently rescued from death, baptised, educated, and maintained by the piety of the Christians, and at the expense of the public treasure. **

**Such, at least, has been the laudable conduct of more modern missionaries, under the same circumstances. Above three thousand new-born infants are annually exposed in the streets of Pekin.

Explain Krumpie how you would have dealt with those problems without Christianity? The status quo was at least 800 years old at that point. Why would it not still be with us if Christianity had never come into being because people like you were so precious that you "didn't believe in any Gods"?

Would you not persecute opponents of Christianity?

You're just talking through your dick. You want to be free to have pre-marital sex, commit adultery, get divorced, be a promoter of homosexuality and abortion, all without feeling any guilt. That's where you're coming from and why you pick out the sitting duck that is Spade rather than me. I'm not a sitting duck.

The Welfare State is a Christian invention laid upon a humanity that lived a life that was "nasty, short and brutish."

Nobody is asking you to believe in God. Attacking those who do with infantile sophistries is another matter.

For all your lovely randomness you would not even be where you are without Christianity.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 09:09 am
Have a great 4 days everyone! I am on my way out the door! and had a few minutes, to say goodbye! I will see you all when I get back....Was afraid, I was not gonna be able to say goodbye, but I got a few minutes before I left! See ya all later!!!! Logic, I will answer your questions when I get back....

See ya!

P.S. I won't be able, to stick around, and talk, if someone says goodbye, but it does not mean, I know you guys won't say it or are not thinking it, I just able not able to stay...to talk...

See you all, in 4 days... Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 10:49 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Edward Gibbon, not a particular friend of Christianity, wrote--

Quote:
The progress of Christianity, and the civil confusion of the empire, contributed to relax the severity of the laws; and, before the close of the third century, many considerable estates were bestowed on the opulent churches of Rome, Milan, Carthage, Antioch, Alexandria, and the other great cities of Italy and the provinces.

Distribution of the revenue.
The bishop was the natural steward of the church; the public stock was intrusted to his care without account or control; the presbyters were confined to their spiritual functions, and the more dependent order of deacons was solely employed in the management and distribution of the ecclesiastical revenue. If we may give credit to the vehement declamations of Cyprian, there were too many among his African brethren who, in the execution of their charge, violated every precept, not only of evangelic perfection, but even of moral virtue. By some of these unfaithful stewards the riches of the church were lavished in sensual pleasures; by others they were perverted to the purposes of private gain, of fraudulent purchases, and of rapacious usury. But as long as the contributions of the Christian people were free and unconstrained, the abuse of their confidence could not be very frequent, and the general uses to which their liberality was applied reflected honour on the religious society. A decent portion was reserved for the maintenance of the bishop and his clergy; a sufficient sum was allotted for the expenses of the public worship, of which the feasts of love, the agapae, as they were called, constituted a very pleasing part. The whole remainder was the sacred patrimony of the poor, According to the discretion of the bishop, it was distributed to support widows and orphans, the lame, the sick, and the aged of the community; to comfort strangers and pilgrims, and to alleviate the misfortunes of prisoners and captives, more especially when their sufferings had been occasioned by their firm attachment to the cause of religion. A generous intercourse of charity united the most distant provinces, and the smaller congregations were cheerfully assisted by the alms of their more opulent brethren. Such an institution, which paid less regard to the merit than to the distress of the object, very materially conduced to the progress of Christianity. The pagans, who were actuated by sense of humanity, while they derided the doctrines, acknowledged the benevolence, of the new sect. The prospect of immediate relief and of future protection allured into its hospitable bosom many of those unhappy persons whom the neglect of the world would have abandoned to the miseries of want, of sickness, and of old age. There is some reason likewise to believe that great numbers of infants who, according to the inhuman practice of the times, had been exposed by their parents, were frequently rescued from death, baptised, educated, and maintained by the piety of the Christians, and at the expense of the public treasure. **

**Such, at least, has been the laudable conduct of more modern missionaries, under the same circumstances. Above three thousand new-born infants are annually exposed in the streets of Pekin.

Explain Krumpie how you would have dealt with those problems without Christianity? The status quo was at least 800 years old at that point. Why would it not still be with us if Christianity had never come into being because people like you were so precious that you "didn't believe in any Gods"?

Would you not persecute opponents of Christianity?

You're just talking through your dick. You want to be free to have pre-marital sex, commit adultery, get divorced, be a promoter of homosexuality and abortion, all without feeling any guilt. That's where you're coming from and why you pick out the sitting duck that is Spade rather than me. I'm not a sitting duck.

The Welfare State is a Christian invention laid upon a humanity that lived a life that was "nasty, short and brutish."

Nobody is asking you to believe in God. Attacking those who do with infantile sophistries is another matter.

For all your lovely randomness you would not even be where you are without Christianity.

So if a serial killer buys groceries for his elderly neighbor we are suppose to forget or grant him some slack for all the murders he does?
izzythepush

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 01:31 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
So if a serial killer buys groceries for his elderly neighbor we are suppose to forget or grant him some slack for all the murders he does?

I think we'd all agree that's the finest critique of Decline & Fall ever written. Nobody else appreciates Gibbons' subtle nuances quite so perfectly, nor can get to the nub of the question with such surgical precision.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 02:40 am
@izzythepush,
The strange thing is this.

In my opinion.

Each and everyone of you and thousands of others are either, turning to science, following belief of a philosopher, the Bible and the bottom line is, everyone, absolutely everyone therefore is questioning because if you weren't you, being (people) would not be trying to find a belief or no belief or 1/2 belief ....to justify that a God exists.

Enjoy your 4 days off spades.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 03:06 am
@FOUND SOUL,
That's true, but only a small segment of the population are convinced that only they know the truth, and have the right to tell us lesser mortals what to think.

I don't include SM in that, he at least accepts he may be mistaken.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 03:37 am
@izzythepush,
It is true, the thing is, is that what ever their beliefs, becomes theirs, they own it and so the debate continues Smile

But, no one really knows.....

Hi Izzy..... Who is SM?
izzythepush

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2012 04:00 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Sorry, SpadeMaster. SM was quicker than writing Spades.