Question to those who do or do not doubt Christianity

BillRM

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 12:23 pm
@izzythepush,
Given that evolution had been and is being attack by brain dead but well funded religion nuts who had been trying to get nonsense taught in the public schools as science I can see why scientists need to keep pointing out the firm foundation for evolution whenever possible.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 12:42 pm
@Chights47,
Quote:
Imagine how much better the world would be if every minute that people spend in a place of worship, praying, religious studies, etc were spent directly helping people? If people spent all that time in soup kitchens, aiding in habitat for humanity or any other type of charitable organization, we would have an absolutely fantastic world. That would be billions and billions of hours each week spent to aiding humanity rather than just sitting around and thinking that you're magical friend will do it for everyone.

Great reply and a must see video for anyone willing to challenge their intellect.

It is written in the bible that there has been at least one war in heaven and that the devil and his many angels {1/3 of the angels in heaven possibly}.
It seems to me that God could not even keep his angels happy.
It does not seem like a place of peaceful coexistence to me! Maybe God just has not studied ethics yet?
BillRM

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 01:38 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
It is written in the bible that there has been at least one war in heaven and that the devil and his many angels {1/3 of the angels in heaven possibly}.

As I had stated before the Devil and the rebellion story is the thing that blow any believes I had as a ten years old in the Christian religion.

How could an all powerful and all knowing god had a rebellion among his chief agents the angels!!!!!
0 Replies

Chights47

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 02:51 pm
@izzythepush,
I wasn't referring to how outspoken some people are about their belief's, I was referring to the individual person and their personal belief's regardless if they outwardly preach it or not.

I enjoy sleight of hand magic myself
Chights47

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 02:53 pm
@reasoning logic,
Heaven and hell are like politics, both sides are shite, one just smells worse.
0 Replies

Procrustes

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2011 06:05 pm
It's easy to say "Who on earth, at this present time, can 'truthfully' say any of the stories we have heard or read are 'literal truthful accounts'? I'm sure there was a rock thrown into the pond sometime ago and now all we get are the ripples. If you read into anicient texts (however one may find such things) meanings are very loosely translated, and sometimes are copied from other ancient stories etc.. Connecting the dots from all the possible info out there (however esoteric) paints a picture, and sometimes that elephant in the room becomes visible. What that elephant looks like, depends on how far your'e willing to go down that rabbit hole...
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 03:14 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
OK come up with one solid proof of a supernatural event and we can talk until then it is on it face all nonsense of the worst kind.

1.people having stigmata's....easily done!
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 03:33 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:
What would you ask Jesus to do for you to prove he is the savior??

I'd ask him to make me believe he is the savior. With his omnipotence that should be a snap.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 03:59 am
@Chights47,
Personally, as long as people aren't preaching hate, they can believe what they want. Bill's invective reminds me of the scientists who condemned the idea of meteorites as the imaginings of ignorant peasants. Science is a tool like any other, but when people start to treat it like a religion, and become messianic in their desire to proseletyse, it's every bit as dangerous as all the other religions. The first atheist state Albania, was hardly a model of reason and respect for human rights.

Quote:
'Age of Reason' and 'The Enlightenment', roughly within the 18th century, were terms used and cherished by those who believed in the power of mind to liberate and improve. Reviewing the experience in 1784, Immanuel Kant saw emancipation from superstition and ignorance as having been the essential characteristic of these times. Philosophers and scientists alike pursued these ideals with enthusiasm and vigour and especially so the Académie Française des Sciences, Europe's leading rational authority. To them may be attributed a strange anomaly that exists in the world today - in museums and collections there is scarcely a single specimen of meteorite that predates the year 1790.

The idea that stones can fall out of the sky was scornfully denounced by the Académie as an unscientific absurdity. Antoine Lavoisier, for example, the father of modern chemistry, told his fellow Academicians, "Stones cannot fall from the sky, because there are no stones in the sky!" The concept of meteorites was thus condemned as nothing but medieval illusions and old wives' tales. Embarrassed museums all over Europe, wishing to be seen to be part of this enlightened 'Age of Reason', hurriedly threw out their cherished meteorite collections with the garbage as humiliating anachronisms from a superstitious past.

Although the last two decades of the eighteenth century saw scientists such as Peter Pallas and Ernst Florens Chladni, risking ridicule by the scientific community through the serious investigation of meteorites, most scientists shared Isaac Newton's view that that no small objects could exist in the interplanetary space. An assumption that left no room for rocks or stones falling from the sky.

Farmers who came to the Académie with samples of meteorites were laughingly shown to the door and denounced as superstitious ignorant peasants. On the night of the 26th of April 1803 however, perceptions started to change. On that night the people of L'Aigle were rudely awoken from their dreams by the thunderous noise of more than 2000 rocks falling from the sky. This undeniable display of meteorites also woke up the Académie Française who were compelled to take notice. They appointed a commission to investigate the event, the result of which was finally a reluctant admission that stones could indeed fall from the sky. Museums, freed from the stigma of non-conformity , started creating meteorite collections once again.

Strangely perhaps, American science did not wholeheartedly accept the Académie's findings until many years later. When, for example, in 1807, two Connecticut Scholars (one of them the chemist Benjamin Silliman) reported having witnessed a fall, President Thomas Jefferson (who had studied natural sciences) made a memorable statement. "I would sooner believe that two Yankee professors would lie than that stones would fall from heaven!" As in Europe it took a dramatic heavenly display, the 1833 Leonid Meteor Shower, before the American Astronomers turned to the subject of meteors and meteorites with any seriousness.

So science eventually learned to accept the idea that rocks, sometimes very very big rocks - could fall from space. The notion of thunderstones forming within the earth's atmosphere was relegated to the rubbish can of folklore. But not quite, because even in recent times reports of stones falling to the ground during heavy thunderstorms still occasionally occur as this report from the March 14, 1920 issue of Nature indicates:

“During a heavy thunderstorm which ensued on Monday, March 4, between 2:30 p.m. and 4.15 p.m., an aerolite was observed to fall at Conleny Heath, near St. Albans. The observed who has placed the specimen in my hands for examination, stated that the stone fell within a few feet from where he was standing, and that it entered the ground for a distance of about 3 feet. Its fall was accompanied by an unusually heavy clap of thunder. The example weighs 5 pounds 14 1/2 ounces and measures 6 3/4 inches by 5-5/8 inches at its great length and breadth respectively. The mass is irregularly ovate on the one side, and broken in outline on the other. The actual surface throughout is fairly deeply pitted, and under magnification exhibits the usual chondritic structure of the crystalline matter with interspersed particles of what appears to be nickeliferous iron.”

The author of the report, G.E. Bullen, submitted the stone to the British Museum where it was examined and astonishingly, determined not to be of meteorite origin. Did they mean that thunderstones really do exist then? Science once ridiculed the concept of meteorites. Perhaps sometime in the future they may prove to be wrong about thunderstones also. That's not very likely though.

There are many strange things in the world today that ordinary and credible people in their millions report on a daily basis, only to be denounced as lies and illusions by our equivalents of the "Age of Reason's' Académie Française. Denouncements without genuine scientific investigation are indicative of vested interest and closed minds.

http://www.mysteriousnewzealand.com/featurearticles/featart_meteorites.html
BillRM

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 04:13 am
@izzythepush,
Yes science is base of fairy tales and if you happen to disagree with the scientists they will torture you to death in order to save your soul.

LOL so scientists should had grant the idea that stones fall from heaven credit before having the proof nail down?

Silly person indeed.............................
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 04:38 am
@BillRM,
here you go Bill do I need to post more>

http://www.google.com/search?q=pictures+of+mary+crying&hl=en&biw=1346&bih=538&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=KmO2ToHaLcT20gG39OjRBw&ved=0CB0QsAQ

http://www.marypages.com/NajuKorea.htm

http://www.born-again-christian.info/miracles.htm

http://www.google.com/search?q=pictures+of+stigmatic+people&hl=en&biw=1346&bih=538&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=_2K2ToLhHqPx0gH0ytnRBw&ved=0CCcQsAQ
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 04:43 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
with response to....

Quote:
OK come up with one solid proof of a supernatural event and we can talk until then it is on it face all nonsense of the worst kind.

so should I post more>?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 04:46 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
You poor sick person you think that those links offer any solid proof of anything at all?
izzythepush

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 05:02 am
@BillRM,
That's right Bill, your constant sneering must prove you're right. Your attitude is no different from those scientists who dismissed meteorites as fairy tales. You're not interested in getting to the 'truth' of anything, you're more concerned in proving that you're right. That is hardly a scientific approach, in that you dismiss anything that does not fit in with your preconceived view of the Universe. In that, there is very little difference between your mindset, and that of the J Goldmans of this world.
Procrustes

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 05:04 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Science and religion both travel towards the crossroads of trusting experience. Science can observe and rigourously test hypotheses but it always comes down to a scientists a posteriori judgement to conclude a 'fact'. Religious experiences also use a posteriori claims to justify beliefs. But what is both lacking in each category is the lack of understanding of what lies outside each a posteriori claim. It doesn't seem enough to be skeptical about the epistemology of 'facts' and neither does it seem enough to be staunch about what one may 'believe'. We seemingly get caught in the trap of sticking to what we know rather than looking at that unread book on the shelf. The question which any person (does not matter if you are christian, muslim, jew, hindu, martian.. etc) should ask themselves is, do I truly know what I know and how do I know for certain? And if you can't answer that 'truthfully', then it's about time to start dealing with the unknown...
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 05:19 am
@izzythepush,
Our friend gave a link to a Nigeria hoax of a man by the name of Daniel Ekechukwu being return to life after days of being dead and being embalm on top of it as proof of the supernatural occurring!!!!!!!!!!

One wonder if he is in the habit of sending funds to claims prizes to Nigeria also?

Here is the link showing some of the holes in this silly story.

http://culturekitchen.com/leo_igwe/story/a_21st_century_resurrection_hoax

That is just the first example of stories his silly links produce.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 05:27 am
@izzythepush,
A general study of the brain and how the brain is able to give us all false information at times can be seen as a valuable study to someone who is open minded.

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 05:33 am
@BillRM,
I can not believe that you do not believe that story is true! Shocked
0 Replies

Procrustes

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 05:44 am
@reasoning logic,
As Hypatia said: "Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all."

But then again she also said: "All formal dogmatic religions are fallacious and must never be accepted by self-respecting persons as final."

So, in a way, open minds absorb like sponges while narrow minds suck like straws. (Just made that up)
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 05:56 am
@Procrustes,
Sounds good to me!

I asked a Christian friend at work what he consider a piece maker to be, 'his reply was someone who is easily persuaded! I thought to myself that a psychopath might agree as well!