Question to those who do or do not doubt Christianity

spendius

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 08:02 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
You are asserting that the Buddha CANNOT be wrong on this issue

Of course the Buddha can't be wrong Frank. Like with you lot the conclusion is based on the premiss. Pretending the ego has been exterminated does not exterminate it. The premiss is false. Just as that of you lot is also false. Namely that you're the best thing since sliced bread and the sun shines out of your arses like Mom said was fit and proper.

The correct answer is that there is no answer. The Buddha thinks timelessly and we think of the moment. "Live for the moment" is a cliche in a timebound society.

Whatever question you ask of The Buddha will be greeted by an expansive gesture and an expression of total indifference. Buddhists who argue about these matters are not really Buddhists at all.

If there's no theology there's nothing to argue about.
0 Replies

igm

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 08:04 am
@Krumple,
Their teachings are both direct and indirect leaving scope to act in infinite ways all endowed with freedom from suffering and natural untainted happiness over beginningless time. If reality doesn't live up to the 'self's' idea of what it should be well... reality can't be blamed for that. The alternative is living in an illusory world created by the fictitious self, full of endless suffering or fleeting happiness replaced by more suffering. The Buddha called this type of happiness the 'suffering of change'.

Krumple

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 08:11 am
@igm,
igm wrote:

Their teachings are both direct and indirect leaving scope to act in infinite ways all endowed with freedom from suffering and natural untainted happiness over beginningless time. If reality doesn't live up to the 'self's' idea of what it should be well... reality can't be blamed for that. The alternative is living in an illusory world created by the fictitious self, full of endless suffering or fleeting happiness replaced by more suffering. The Buddha called this type of happiness the 'suffering of change'.

You keep talking about samsara but I still haven't heard of anything nirvana. Why? You know what there is to avoid, but you don't know what there is left? When you cut away all this stuff, what is left? Nothing? When you solve the problem of samsara what is the result?
spendius

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 08:14 am
@Krumple,
Quote:
With that, there is no supporting evidence that we live multiple lives. It sounds great,

It doesn't sound great to me. I might be a rat. Or a rock waiting for the melt-water to wear me away. Or a Duke's fourth son got out of his favourite chambermaid. That sounds okay.

What about Rawanda?

I'll settle for this being it. I know it doesn't matter what I'll settle for and if I'm coming back I'm coming back. I just hope not. Is there anything you can do to get out of it?

It's a million to one you get as lucky as we are. And we do enough groaning.

igm

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 08:16 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

igm wrote:

You keep talking about samsara but I still haven't heard of anything nirvana. Why? You know what there is to avoid, but you don't know what there is left? When you cut away all this stuff, what is left? Nothing? When you solve the problem of samsara what is the result?

Samsara and Nirvana are the same if you understand the true nature of Samsara then it is revealed as always having been Nirvana. The same is true of sentient beings and Buddhas.

http://www.bergen.edu/phr/121/NagarjunaGC.pdf
"19. There is no difference at all between Samsara and Nirvana! There is no difference at all between Nirvana and
Samsara! [They are both empty (shunya) of essence.]"

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 08:20 am
@Krumple,
Quote:
It would be like a person being tossed in prison and when asked why, their accusers claim that in the future they are going to commit a crime and thus they are now going to be punished for it.

CBS reports that some southern states practice that routinely. People who look like immigrants are 5 times more likely to be detained than people who look like John Wayne or Joan Collins.
Krumple

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 08:25 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
With that, there is no supporting evidence that we live multiple lives. It sounds great,

It doesn't sound great to me. I might be a rat. Or a rock waiting for the melt-water to wear me away. Or a Duke's fourth son got out of his favourite chambermaid. That sounds okay.

What about Rawanda?

I'll settle for this being it. I know it doesn't matter what I'll settle for and if I'm coming back I'm coming back. I just hope not. Is there anything you can do to get out of it?

It's a million to one you get as lucky as we are. And we do enough groaning.

Well it is good to recognize it and it is understandable to not like it. There is nothing good in major disasters. Sure people who are not involved could learn from it. Learn compassion or empathy for others suffering. This is not a bad thing to learn but it shouldn't be necessary to learn through witnessing a tragedy.

Some see all of life as a tragedy and there is nothing good in it at all. It sounds really negative but it is motivational. They seek the way out as you are requesting. The buddha says there is a way out. He challenges you to find it. He says it there is a way. I guess you have to just try it. What do you have to lose? If it works then you got out. If it fails how are you any worse off?

It could be a complete waste of time, but you never know until you give it your best go. Only you can decide if you have given it your all. It is not an easy road, it is easy to get lost, the path is not always clearly defined. There are a lot of ways to be misled. You can also be your own worst enemy on the journey. Be flexiable, be willing to take on a challenge, find some bravery to continue and if you really want to find it, it should be as if you can't breath.

Like a person drowning, the only thing a person who is drowing is thinking about is getting some air, getting to the surface. They aren't thinking about whats on tv, or what they want for lunch or wanting to hear some music. All they want is to get to the surface and breath. If you don't seek it with that mindset then you are drowning.
Krumple

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 08:28 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
CBS reports that some southern states practice that routinely. People who look like immigrants are 5 times more likely to be detained than people who look like John Wayne or Joan Collins.

Sad and unfortunate that we have come to that. To punish someone who has not even done anything wrong just because they come from another place. Just because they have a different belief system. Just because they don't fully agree with a political system. A sad world when we apethicly allow it to continue.
spendius

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 08:53 am
@Frank Apisa,
Is it really worth going "BINGO" to a banality of this nature--

Quote:
It's not a case of people not understanding, but of people not being fooled by the double talk.

The fatuity is the "fooled" and the "double-talk". The conclusion is in the premiss. Do you really not understand how void of meaning such expressions are. They have names. They all mean the same thing--drivel. Foam from the mouth.

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 08:55 am
@igm,
Quote:
The Buddha looked for one and could not find one. When I look neither can I.

Stick a red hot darning needle into your left buttock igm. 2 inches deep. You will soon discover your self.
spendius

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 08:59 am
@Krumple,
Quote:
I have seen buddhist who go out of their way to feed the starving.

Only a "self" could do that.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 08:59 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
The Buddha looked for one and could not find one. When I look neither can I.

Stick a red hot darning needle into your left buttock igm. 2 inches deep. You will soon discover your self.

you are right, there is a self, but it is not permenant nor does it not change. It is ever changing, moment to moment. The buddha never said there was no self, he just said there is no permeant one. There is a difference, small subtle one but there is one. You are right to poke, I mean point it out, pun intended.
spendius

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 09:02 am
@Krumple,
Quote:
You won't take yourself so seriously. It gives you the ability to see how attached you are to yourself. It reveals your fears, anxieties and why you have them. It actually gives you the ability to over come these fears and anxieties.

Are you a counsellor Krumpie?
Krumple

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 09:03 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Are you a counsellor Krumpie?

nope. just a used car sales man for buddhism.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 09:08 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
The individual himself, which makes it self-congratulatory as well as selfish.

Setanta has no room to talk about that.

Quote:
the maunderings of that idiotic dypsomaniac Spurious

Is pure self-congratulation.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 09:12 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
I took formal instruction in Buddhism 40 years ago,

I wonder if Setanta will explain what brought that on. It's a very unusual thing to do. I've never met such a case and I've met a lot of other cases.
Krumple

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 09:20 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
I took formal instruction in Buddhism 40 years ago,

I wonder if Setanta will explain what brought that on. It's a very unusual thing to do. I've never met such a case and I've met a lot of other cases.

Oh I can probably answer that. He was responding to my commments. He wanted to prove to me that he knew what he was talking about since I didn't believe that he knew what he was saying. I guess 40 years ago means he is over qualified and his point of view is accurate. Perhaps it is. I still doubt that he knew what he was talking about. My less than 40 years ago study, came to a different conclusion. I guess that means his wins by default since it was longer?

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 10:10 am
@Krumple,
Quote:
...it is easy to get lost, the path is not always clearly defined.

I know. I have seen the perspectiveless paintings. How can that resonate with somebody brought up in a world of sheer perspective and paths to any objective. It's culturally incomprehensible.

I think it would have to be an affectation. Like those tourist attractions where they employ actors and actresses to pretend they are not long off the Mayflower. Basket weaving in bonnets. Or cod Battles of Marston Moor. (Car Park £5. Beer and sandwiches in the Cock and Wallet afterwards.)
spendius

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 10:12 am
@Krumple,
Quote:
A sad world when we apethicly allow it to continue.

Surely the immigrants have come to escape a sadder world?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 10:14 am
@Krumple,
Quote:
you are right, there is a self, but it is not permenant nor does it not change. It is ever changing, moment to moment.

Stick the needle in every birfday.
0 Replies