Question to those who do or do not doubt Christianity

izzythepush

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 05:11 pm
@BillRM,
You can go with whatever you want, but it's a bad example. Choose something that is definitely a trick of the mind. Lowell wasn't documenting a trick of the mind, but something very real, the swollen blood vessels in his eyes.

Mirages are similarly abused, put down as hallucinations, where they are in fact a reflection of something over the horizon.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 01:51 am
@BillRM,
Psychologists call this phenomenon — i.e., the tendency to perceive human-like faces and forms or other familiar visual patterns in places they don't belong — "pareidolia." Vladik Kreinovich and Dima Iourinski of the University of Texas at El Paso Computer Science department conducted a geometric analysis of the billowing shapes some people have interpreted as the face of Satan and concluded "they can naturally be explained by the physics and geometry of fire."

And please explain how computer science explained the face with physics and geometry....because I don't agree
BillRM

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 02:52 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
My my so you wish the details of the science of gas movement including the mathematic because you wish instead to buy into some supernatural nonsense?

Sorry I had a heavy mathematic background myself up to dealing with Maxwell field equations but I question if I could follow the gas equations involved.

As you are the type of human being that live in the eleven century with Demons running around in fire somehow the likelihood that you had had the background to follow the mathematic seem small indeed.

Do you even had a understanding of college level freshman calculus?
izzythepush

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 03:22 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Do you even had a understanding of college level freshman calculus?

He probably doesn't, but he can construct a basic sentence. When you can do likewise, you can call others ignorant.
wayne

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 03:26 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:

Quote:
Have you seen the devil's face before?

yes!

Did it look like this?
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTlBMSpL8NKD3HlkGDPxoYhLrgEcNIQJbax9YqxsnqodtOzM4GC

Or this?

http://www.tasmaniatrip.com/image-files/tasmaniandevil.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 03:30 am
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 03:43 am
http://www.offthemarkcartoons.com/cartoons/2006-09-14.gif
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 03:49 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
He probably doesn't, but he can construct a basic sentence. When you can do likewise, you can call others ignorant.

Anybody with the ability to construct a sentence or not who buy into demons in fires is insulting the men and women who had spend their lives in increasing the level of human understandings of the universe that surround us over the centuries and is in fact ignorant. That has nothing to do with his lack of a mathematic background by the way.

In the 11 century there might had been some mild excuse for this level of supernatural believes however he now have access to a large percent of the total knowledge of mankind at his finger tips and yet all he is using the technology for is to try to spread his silliness.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 04:09 am
@izzythepush,
Footnote you should feel very ashamed of yourself for granting the gentleman any support for believing that devils or demons are playing in the random movements of hot gasses.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 05:16 am
@BillRM,
I actually excelled in math as well as you say you did....fyi...you should feel very ashamed to be calling others ignorant, for ANY reason!...when there is simply NO WAY of ANYONE, ANYWHERE proving that 100% that image was EXACTLY what this man says it was...his views are hypothosies, and likewise you have your own, and I also have my own....he is human, which means he can be WRONG, just like you could be, and I could be!...you call my views nonsense, but my experiences are VERY REAL! and are HAPPENING!... likewise I can say you strive to find EVERYTHING thru the evidence of "proof" but there are things that exist and there is simply NO WAY of seeing them and viewing it by "evidence alone" such as your consciounce....I can see it in you, and likewise you can see it in me...but there is absolutly NO WAY of actually viewing a persons consciounce...but we all know we have one and use it...
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 05:37 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:
Anybody with the ability to construct a sentence or not who buy into demons in fires is insulting the men and women who had spend their lives in increasing the level of human understandings of the universe that surround us over the centuries and is in fact ignorant.

( this is your "opinion") how in the world am I insulting them? from my visits here I take WAY more verbal abuse from Atheists, than I have EVER given out...and when I have, I have apologized to them...and made peace...read above and look at Wayne's post of the picture of Satan and tell me that, that was NOT ridiculing me, and my views...and was Totally uncalled for, not even worth posting, and nonsense to the highest regard! So to not be a hypocrite, I suggest you go to every Atheist who does this kind of immature behavior, if ignorance really bothers you and ALL Atheists who act this way, and claim ignorance...the way they do!

Quote:
In the 11 century there might had been some mild excuse for this level of supernatural believes however he now have access to a large percent of the total knowledge of mankind at his finger tips and yet all he is using the technology for is to try to spread his silliness.

again your views, in which you could be wrong just like I might be...but from "my view" I don't need knowledge at my finger tips, when I have Wisdom from God himself....you can call it silliness, I think searching to the ends of life to gain all knowledge is silliness, because you can't live forever so either you die with knowledge for no "higher" purpose (in Atheists views) or you have wisdom and look toward Godly things...such as the fact of wisdom tells me VERY young all the knowledge in the world could never be fully grasped so to try to do so in your life...your logic defeats itself...its infinately greater to have wisdom than knowledge...

I would rather lack knowledge, which can't be fully grasped (all of it) than wisdom...and if I have wisdom, I have knowledge of the highest regard....wisdom is ongoing in Christianity, and therefor, there is purpose to obtain it! where as Atheism, promotes knowledge, but in the end it really is meaningless to a certain degree, and you can't even say its not because future gen. can use your knowledge, first whose to say 100 yrs from now things will not be 100% different then they are now, and 2 the world could end tomorrow, and this completion of obtaining knowledge in a life time, defeats itself, and without a "higher purpose" or ongoing life it (grasping ALL knowledge) is pointless....
izzythepush

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 05:49 am
@BillRM,
I'm not going to take any lessons from you about shame Bill. Evangelical Atheists are every bit as obnoxious as Evangelical Christians. The only difference being instead of condemning unbelievers to a lake of fire, they snidely go on about how smart they are.

You seem to be suggesting that the only reason people believe in any aspects of the supernatural, is because they're not as good at sums as you are. You're being as arrogant and divisive as J Goldman.

Can't you just accept that you're never going to convince everyone that your take on the Universe is correct? What about tolerance and understanding? Spademaster is genuine in his beliefs, and he is preaching a message of tolerance and love. So what harm is there if he's wrong? If everyone held to the mantra of loving your neighbour the World would be a better place.

Spademaster is not a J Golman spreading religious hate and intolerance, nor is he a Pamela Rosa spreading racial hate, and he therefore deserves a bit of respect, no matter how ridiculous you may find his view of the Universe. Can't you just agree to differ, and leave the insults to those who deserve it, like Rosa and Goldman?
Setanta

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 06:03 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Evangelical Atheists are every bit as obnoxious as Evangelical Christians . . . they snidely go on about how smart they are.

That bore repeating. It's particularly hard to take coming from Bill, whose English is so bad, that when he first came here, i thought he was a non-native speaker making a best effort. Instead, we find out that he is the poster child for invincible ignorance when it comes to what is, allegedly, his mother tongue.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 06:10 am
@Setanta,
Thank you Set.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 07:32 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Sorry I do not buy into you having any science or mathematic background as for one thing would understand that you can never disprove a negative such as your hot gas demons but that does not grant them any likelihood of existing.

A nice solid explanation of those figures exists so by good old Occan’s Razor there are no excuses for trying to drag in the supernatural.

It would be your job to prove/show that there are likely demons being shown in those gas clouds not the other way around.

Surely those patterns in the hot gasses that you so happily had pointed out are no proof of any demons.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 07:43 am
@BillRM,
If someone is willing to play that hand are they also willing to call all other images that could be seen in the clouds to be real as well?

I wonder how many other images of silly things have been seen in the clouds.

I will add that it has been proven that our brains will correct facial images even if they are distorted our brains are wired to fill in the blanks so I do not find it odd that people could see a devil!
BillRM

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 07:59 am
@izzythepush,
Sure I can not convict this gentleman to live in a rational world however he came into the public square trying to convict others that his world views had merits.

In his world view demons did indeed dances in the smokes and hot gases of the burning twin towers.

Such irrational views should be challenge then ever they are put forth as they had already done far too must harm to mankind when they are granted any credibility.

Men and women had been torture to death in order to save their souls and drive out the demons in them and all in the name of Jesus.
BillRM

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 08:04 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
brains will correct facial images even if they are distorted our brains are wired to fill in the blanks so I do not find it odd that people could see a devil!

I needed to look very hard to try to see so call images of demons in those clouds so there is likely to be a connection to seeing such images and believing that such creatures as demons are real and might be found in such a situation.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 08:10 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
Men and women had been torture to death in order to save their souls and drive out the demons in them and all in the name of Jesus.

Yes I have heard of people with mental problems being tormented by religious people of the past. Today we have a word {evil} for behavior that we disagree with and at times we for the most part agree that the behavior is not productive but I do think in the future that many behaviors will be seen similar as a person with diabetes, we will just have different ways of dealing with these problems. Who knows we may label some people as having Christian psychosis!
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 08:13 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
I needed to look very hard to try to see so call images of demons in those clouds so there is likely to be a connection to seeing such images and believing that such creatures as demons are real and might be found in such a situation.

Yes I do agree but also having a brain that tries to correct images that you believe may also contribute to the delusion at hand!
0 Replies