Question to those who do or do not doubt Christianity

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 05:26 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:
If the person was that delusional....And thought they were Christ, and something wasn't happening....Why would/Or what would stop them from being delusional about everything else?? I am not saying I believe all people who say they are Christ are...But if something important was not happening with these experiences...Rather than "professionals" saying they are insane....Why or in what way would they be grounded at all?? Concerning anything else?? Why would they be using logic in other areas...But not be in that one specific area??

Those are some very Good questions you have there Ryan. Have you ever met anyone that was way out there? If so why don't you ask them how they are able to be logical about other things but not about whatever it is they are being illogical about? We are all logical at times and illogical at other times.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 05:45 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I'm not belittling you, I'm challenging your assumption thast you're reasoned and logical.

Wow Izzy I would love to see you do that. Challenge the assumption that I put forward in the post that I made here in this thread Issy. Please try to stay on topic and point out specifically what is wrong with what I am talking about.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 05:54 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:
You have told me you think I am one smart dude...But when it comes to religion I seem to turn the logic off...Could it just be that people like myself and found soul...Are actually thinking on a higher level than most? And that is why we can see and experience thing we do?? How could someone be very intelligent and logical but switch it off?? It does not make sense to believe that they do that...It makes more sense to believe, (if you believe they are intelligent) that they have inner intuitions that most do not...And that they are not turning off the logical switch...It is something that they can not fully 100% prove...So it is others who "believe" they are turning this switch off...But in reality, they could be logical in other things, and their experiences could be real...It does not have to be divided at all...

I still think you are a very smart person and I do not think that will change, even though I may think you get things wrong at times but don't we all?

I do have to say that you took this conversation very far from where I was wanting to go with it. What I am interested in is if a theist like you and an atheist like me can agree on a system, that we could use to demonstrate that someone is not Jesus or that someone is in a world of make believe.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 06:22 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Quote:
Like kids at school laughing at the thought, or stated "ahha, you go to Church Nerd" ... Or, a death... If there is a God why the heck didn't he save her/ him? Or long suffering...

I never experienced this when I was growing up because it seemed that everyone believed in God and it is not much different today.

Quote:
To be honest if someone approached me and said they were Jesus, I'd try very hard not to smile or be rude but I certainly would think it's in their head.

Not being rude would be what I would try to do as well.

Quote:
am happy to walk this Earth, with that feeling of peace, except when I stress the shirt out of myself over work Smile I'd rather feel that, and believe what I have seen means something, as it does, to me, and I like that feeling, than to walk the Earth, angry, cheated, and say "hey, when I die, I just go in the ground ,that's it, let the worms eat me, "... I would rather feel that if my mind can and anyone's can, can visualise and create pictures, stories, prior to drifting right off to sleep than when our mind is no longer active, those types of pictures become reality.... It's a nice dream isn't it.. Much better than the Devil got ya Smile

I see nothing wrong with that and I myself would not mind doing that if I were dieing or things were very bad.
I do think that there can be value in creative thinking.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 07:02 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:
If this is true, Why would a God be such a bad thing at all?? Why would people who "believe" a God is real, be thinking illogically??

I think you are correct there Ryan. If it is to a persons advantage to think that way then I would say that it is not illogical.

Quote:
Why would a God be such a bad thing at all??

I have never claimed that a belief in a God is always a bad thing but rather a make believe thing and I can see value in make believe but I do like to talk academically about religion with intellectual honesty and not make believe.

Sometimes make believe can be a bad thing as well when it holds back the progress of mankind. I will not go there because it is way off from the question that I was asking about the person who thinks he is Jesus.
spendius

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 07:12 am
@reasoning logic,
That's all very well rl. It sounds nice.

But what if it was realised all the time? If there was no stressing the shirt out of ourselves and feeling angry and cheated there would be nothing to contrast the dream with. The dream would be permanent.

Do you think you could take that rl?

I don't think so. I would suggest a hypothesis that those who dream such a dream are those most stressed up and angry and cheated. It wouldn't come as a dream to someone not in such a state. One only starts hallucinating about pints of ice-cold frothy lager when one has walked 50 miles through a blistering desert rationing oneself to a few sips of the warm water left in the bottle every now and again when the parching gets irresistable.

But it's the best pint of lager anybody ever swilled down. Just as the dream is pretty good to you. To me it's a joke.

One doesn't think of oneself thinking of pictures and stories prior to drifting off to sleep. One thinks of the pictures and stories. What use is it to us if we don't know the pictures and stories?

Everybody dreams like that. I used to dream of languidly stroking Ray Lindwall through the covers to bring up my maiden Test century at Lord's.

BillRM

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 07:12 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
have never claimed that a belief in a God is always a bad thing

For most of human history believing in the tribal god or at least paying strong lip service to the idea of the tribal god was the only way to survive.

So believing or at leave pretending to believe was a needed thing even when you might need to throw a child or two into the fire in the worship of the god.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 08:21 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
For most of human history believing in the tribal god or at least paying strong lip service to the idea of the tribal god was the only way to survive.

So believing or at leave pretending to believe was a needed thing even when you might need to throw a child or two into the fire in the worship of the god.

That does seem very true even though that was not what I was referring to. Laughing
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 09:33 am
@spendius,
Quote:
I would suggest a hypothesis that those who dream such a dream are those most stressed up and angry and cheated. It wouldn't come as a dream to someone not in such a state.

I think that you are correct, I wonder if it is possible for some people to believe in the dream even though they are perfectly happy. I do not have a problem with the mind wandering from reality in extreme emotional states as long as they are not harming others by doing so.
spendius

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 10:48 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
I do not have a problem with the mind wandering from reality in extreme emotional states as long as they are not harming others by doing so.

If it catches on it can lead to it being exploited. It was mass mystical yearnings that Hitler so expertly manipulated.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 11:06 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Quote:
I'm not belittling you, I'm challenging your assumption thast you're reasoned and logical.

Wow Izzy I would love to see you do that.

I've done it, you can't see it.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 11:08 am
@spendius,
Has anyone told Bill, that in the film Harvey is real?

It's just another example of his muddled thinking.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 11:22 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I've done it, you can't see it.

OK
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 11:57 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
I still think you are a very smart person and I do not think that will change, even though I may think you get things wrong at times but don't we all?

Yes, and I believe I do as well at times...

Quote:
I do have to say that you took this conversation very far from where I was wanting to go with it. What I am interested in is if a theist like you and an atheist like me can agree on a system, that we could use to demonstrate that someone is not Jesus or that someone is in a world of make believe.

I do not think it could be done....That is my answer...

If someone believes someone is logical, and illogical...And the other believes they are being real...And are logical at times, and can be illogical there....There is no way or system that both groups would agree and demonstrate that a person is in a wold of make believe....Because the "truth" is in the eye of the beholder...And what you see as illogical in me, is what I see as you think is logical in you (just saying you and me as an example here) and the things you think that are logical I may find it to be illogical etc....
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 12:02 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Have you ever met anyone that was way out there?

Yes...

Quote:
If so why don't you ask them how they are able to be logical about other things but not about whatever it is they are being illogical about?

That is where we disagree, I would not call them illogical if I saw that they were grounded in other areas, Like you do...But to answer your question....If they are logical, then they are mostly logical....And if someone seems to be out there, then there is a good chance they are not logical at all...

Quote:
We are all logical at times and illogical at other times.

Maybe so, but I do not believe it is close to 50/50 like you believe....I think the logical people, will almost always be logical, and think illogically at times, and get things wrong, If a person is out there, then I would say they are just illogical most of the time, with sprinkles of logic in there, but are most times, not logical or correct....
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 12:05 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:

Still very loathsome...As if He did not want my answer being Christian, but already knew the answer to his own questions, like the one he posted to me last night....

What is the point for me to break this down, and answer it for you?? You do not listen, and "think" your never wrong...

It is pointless....
0 Replies

orrisn

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 12:59 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Depends on how he presented. Would he float through the window, knock on the front door? C'mon.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 01:17 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Quote:
I do not think it could be done....That is my answer...

If someone believes someone is logical, and illogical...And the other believes they are being real...And are logical at times, and can be illogical there....There is no way or system that both groups would agree and demonstrate that a person is in a wold of make believe....Because the "truth" is in the eye of the beholder...And what you see as illogical in me, is what I see as you think is logical in you (just saying you and me as an example here) and the things you think that are logical I may find it to be illogical etc....

Ok let me see if I understand you correctly, You seem to be suggesting that there is no way that atheist and theist could tell if a person is in a make believe world or not. What if this person believes he is a spaghetti monster? are you still suggesting that we have no system for determining whether this person is the spaghetti monster or not? So you are saying that atheist and theist have no common way of detecting if someone is Jesus or not?
spendius

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 01:38 pm
@izzythepush,
rl is worthy of his username only within the circularities of his noggin as they operate at any particular time.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 21 Apr, 2012 01:57 pm
@spendius,
You're right. I wouldn't mind if he showed some inclination of genuine intellectual curiosity, but all his questions are loaded. You cannot answer them without accepting his premise that any logical examination of the hereafter, would result in exactly the position he has adopted.

It's an intellectual cul-de-sac.