Question to those who do or do not doubt Christianity

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 06:42 pm
@rosborne979,
I will again clarify...it says to test everything, one another and oneself, only do not test God....if you would like I will give you scripture give me a second...
Arella Mae

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 06:44 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
It's not Ros' fault. It is mine because I did not consider the context of the verse.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 06:46 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
ros...read this....it will explain what i have stated....

http://www.openbible.info/topics/testing_god
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 06:52 pm
You both seem to be confirming what I said originally.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 07:41 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:

I will again clarify...it says to test everything, one another and oneself, only do not test God....if you would like I will give you scripture give me a second...

Do I understand this correctly? I would think that you would be questioning God so to speak because all of your knowledge about God comes from other people!

Should all the other religions that you think may have it wrong question what they have been taught? What abought Ganesha?

I have learned this type of questioning from reading the kings James bible! It taught me to question every thing even itself!
It showed me that we are all deceived.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 08:01 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
you cannot truly KNOW there is no God anymore than I can truly KNOW there is.

Why would we even have to come to such a discussion if we truly do not know?

I would say the reason is that someone would have to believe in something that we have no evidence for.
I would not think that it would be the nonbeliever because they would not have such a thought unless they were presented with a claim that was introduced to them.

It would be like if I said that I have a belief that there is a creator that came to me in my sleep and said that he created all things and that he lives in the center of the moon and after we all die if we do not believe in his son which is a troll that lives on mars we will burn forever in the sun. for ever and ever!

You would not know this unless I told you just as with any other belief system!

You just need to have faith that what I am telling you is true because God would not allow it to be other wise because he is all powerful!
MonaLeeza

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 08:09 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

It may be meaningless to you but it is not meaningless to me.

Sorry. I always get sucked in when theists try and offer something that looks like an attempt at logic (eg 'you can't know that God doesn't exist') but when it's questioned it turns out it wasn't an attempt at logic at all. I should know better.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 08:20 pm
@MonaLeeza,
As far as I can tell Arella Mae is a loving and caring person and does not mean to cause any confusion. Do you have a theist within your family that is the same way?
I know I do!
MonaLeeza

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 09:17 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

As far as I can tell Arella Mae is a loving and caring person and does not mean to cause any confusion. Do you have a theist within your family that is the same way?
I know I do!

I'm sure she's a lovely person and yes I have lots of lovely theists in my family and a whole side of my family that are nice Buddhists as well but I'm not sure why that's relevant. She made a statement and when I questioned it she didn't have any answer to my argument other than to act offended. Happens all the time in these kind of discussions which is why I should know better.
tenderfoot

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 11:00 pm
@MonaLeeza,
When the religious .. Religiously use the words belief and faith, to prove their belief and faith, they are faithfully proving their beliefs are the only true beliefs and so on. : - ).
JLNobody

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 11:13 pm
@MonaLeeza,
And you can't prove that unicorns do not exist. In fact, logically speaking, you cannot prove any negative. If I searched every nook and crannie of the world and found no unicorns that is not proof that they did not evade me.
MonaLeeza

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 11:23 pm
@JLNobody,
Exactly. That's why it's 'meaningless' to say that we don't 'know' that God doesn't exist.
Cyracuz

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 04:06 am
@MonaLeeza,
You can say "god don't exist" or "god exists", but in my opinion you need to be clear on what you mean about "god".
I believe that the "naive-realistic" idea of a personified entity of god that christians believe in is nothing but a fantasy born of misunderstandings and wishful thinking. I believe that the god of the bible is a metaphor, a collective term for all the forces and energies that make up reality. I believe that fundamentally all of existence is one singular unity. I think modern physics is beginning to uncover this unity in the smallest scales of reality we know of, but I also think that it is possible to come to understand this by understanding how the human mind and perception works. I think that this understanding lies behind the metaphorical god that is portrayed in the bible.

Based on this, saying that god does or does not exist is kind of like saying that 60 minutes do or don't exist.
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 05:54 am
@MonaLeeza,
Quote:
She made a statement and when I questioned it she didn't have any answer to my argument other than to act offended. Happens all the time in these kind of discussions which is why I should know better.

beliefs seem to have emotional attachments to them but ideas or understandings can be open to new facts that can change our understanding about reality.

When believers start to question their own beliefs, life might start to seem like heaven for all of us.

Is it better to have a belief, or an understanding?

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 06:23 am
@reasoning logic,
I like that video
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 06:26 am
@Cyracuz,
Me too! I wish I could take credit for it but I can not. I can at least share it with others! Idea
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 06:28 am
@reasoning logic,
Do I understand this correctly? I would think that you would be questioning God so to speak because all of your knowledge about God comes from other people!

no, my knowledge about God doesn't come from other people but my personal "visions and dreams" as well as my inner voice or consciounse....

Should all the other religions that you think may have it wrong question what they have been taught? What abought Ganesha?

I do not know or understand a lot about Hinduism therefor, it is wise for me to not say should they question or not...if there scriptures say to question things, but NOT Gonesha...(btw they have millions of gods)...and the main diety's they follow in their trinity are Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva....I don't know who they think or feel Ganesha is a god or Goddess of...or if they "feel" they should question their scriptures....but I have a feeling they feel the same way in not questioning Gods or Goddess...for that shows lack of faith in a God or Goddess...(my perspective)

I have learned this type of questioning from reading the kings James bible! It taught me to question every thing even itself!
It showed me that we are all deceived.

do you think that you may have "took it too far"? and for you believing "were deceived" is your interpretations....I don't particullarly 'feel' the same way...and not true least not in your case....if you used the Bible to question, and found your happiness with being Atheist than the Bible was the answer for you as well! and again if God is willing you may have eternal slumber as you have indeed asked for....

0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 06:32 am
@reasoning logic,
correct...and we will all know Jesus before the day of our judgment comes....many great men before Jesus were faithful, Abraham, Issac, Jacob....they did not know Jesus but they Knew God....and Abraham, Issac, and Jacob probably excepted Jesus at the point of their resurection...
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 06:35 am
@tenderfoot,
and yet among all the divisions "all believers" except Jesus is lord....so therfor, by your logic...the "believers' have "faith" in Jesus...and as the Bible states that is ALL you need to be saved!
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2011 06:36 am
@MonaLeeza,
do you know for a fact that if a God exists....your right when you say he doesn't? how then is it meaningless?