Mame

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 06:22 pm
@Setanta,
"Reasonable Judgement" is the phrase at issue here - I don't recall him using that. And an "unfortunate personal experience" can impact a judgement, but I also don't recall him saying it actually rendered one "incapable" of having reasonable judgement.

I think enough said on this issue, though, don't you? We're not getting any further ahead!

Smile
JTT

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 06:25 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
You must not be getting it.

That's pretty damn rich coming from Mr Leap to all manner of assumption.

Quote:
You'd have to ask Wandel, he's the one who seems to think that unfortunate personal experiences render one incapable of reasonable judgement.

I'd like to see someone, hopefully Mame will do it, ask Setanta to quote where JW said that.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 08:29 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

DrewDad wrote:

wandeljw wrote:
but you, drewdad, are a ******* moron.

I will add:

You started out patronizing, and went through defensive, condescending, minimizing, and invalidating.

Finally, you have devolved to abusive.

Ask yourself: Is this who you want to be?

This whole post is abusive and patronizing. All your comments to him have been.

I don't think you quite understand the difference between being told "your behavior offends me" and "you are offensive."

Are you really trying to equate being called "a ******* moron" with being told "you're being abusive?"
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 09:35 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:
you, drewdad, are a ******* moron.

I'm smart enough to recognize your contempt for what it is.

I recognize the contempt here:

wandeljw wrote:

It occurred to me that Chai and Arella's reactions may be connected to unfortunate personal experiences in their own past. I do not want to devalue their honest personal feelings.

wandeljw wrote:
Hingehead and I agree that your "scared shitless" remark is an exaggeration.

wandeljw wrote:
Congratulations. A useless remark from you to ingratiate yourself with Chai.

wandeljw wrote:

You are simply wrong in describing it as shitty, patronizing, or crass. Perpetuating these comments make you ridiculous.

wandeljw wrote:
She was not insulted to the degree suggested by your ridiculous overstatement.

wandeljw wrote:

I can not match your hysterics or Setanta's hysterics.

wandeljw wrote:

You're cute when you're hysterical.

wandeljw wrote:

These are the posts where I "mistakenly" thought you agreed with me:

wandeljw wrote:

Sorry. The next time I will ponder the metaphysical implications of your every word. Smile

And I recognize the subtle contempt here, as you exaggerate EhBeth's words:

ehBeth wrote:
readers who might come along at some later point

wandeljw wrote:
What specific comments of jw required a vital response?

That future generations would appreciate?

This has been very eye-opening, as I'd never caught this vibe off of you before.

Kinda puts the whole Wally Tea bit into a new perspective for me.
JTT

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 09:57 pm
@DrewDad,
Are you feeling sorry for yourself, DD?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 05:17 am
@DrewDad,
Quoting me as if I am Shakespeare, only fuels my delusions of grandeur. Smile
Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 05:22 am
@Mame,
You need to read the posts which preceded that. I suggest that you're jumping in here without context, and arguing for argument's sake.
wandeljw

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 05:47 am
@Setanta,
I thought that if I joked about it, this Roman circus would be over. Please move on, Setanta.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 06:31 am
Please kiss my red, Irish ass, creep.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 06:49 am
@wandeljw,
That's probably accurate, truth be told.
JTT

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 07:53 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Please kiss my red, Irish ass,

An occasional bath or shower would relieve the red part for you, which in turn, might make you a whole lot less cranky.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 07:53 am
@DrewDad,
I apologize without reservation for the moron remark. You did not deserve that, DrewDad.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 07:54 am
@Setanta,
You don't know how long I have been waiting for you to ask me. It excites me even more than whips and chains. Smile
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 11:14 am
I have been following this all along and at the risk of sounding ridiculously stupid, are you guys joking with each other or not?
wandeljw

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 11:22 am
@Arella Mae,
I know it is difficult to tell. We were actually angry with each other and joked later. I have a different way of addressing things with Setanta than with DrewDad. Us boys are just strange in that way.
JTT

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 11:34 am
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
might make you a whole lot less cranky.

When I said the above, yes, I was, Arella. Smile
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 11:40 am
Funniest. Thread. Ever.

http://files.sharenator.com/y8F8s_GIF_Collection_of_someone_eating_popcorn-s256x192-181193-580.gif
wandeljw

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 11:46 am
@joefromchicago,
Thanks. I think it should be archived for future generations.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 11:48 am
It is difficult to tell that is for sure. Interesting though.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:54 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
Ha! Aidan - y0u work in a prison! Your creepability factor must be almost zero

Seriously though - the whole point of this endless cycling was started because Wandel expressed the opinion that interpreting the picture in a manner other than his interpretation was 'wrong' (which he's since modified to 'significantly less valid') - that's all I've been calling him on.

That IS true - hadn't thought of that. But now that I do think of it, I think part of the reason I can work in a prison is because I AM so hard to creep out. Alot of women wouldn't work in that environment. We even just lost the bricklaying instructor - a guy no less - because he was too nervous to work there.

But yeah - most of that wolf-whistling and ogling is just bravado. I had a guy the other day who said, 'Miss, I'm gonna divorce my Mrs. so you and me can be together,' and I just said, 'Sorry, but no - I don't do my conjugal duties behind bars.'
I guess I could have gotten all freaked out and felt disrespected and reported him, etc., etc...but why give him that sort of power over me?

And that's the thing I get from this picture. The woman is the one who's in control (from my point of view). The guys in that photograph are depicted either as silly, leering idiots or small and insignificant.

And any woman who is pretty at all knows that that DOES bestow a sort of power. I can remember discovering that when I was a developing teenager. It surprised the hell out of me. If you're a woman with a pretty face and a decent body you can feel the effect it has on males and it does feel like power.
That's what I saw in that picture. That woman is bored by those clowns. She can do better than that.

I didn't have any problem with what you said to wandle - but I also have to say - I agree with most of what wandl said-mainly that one's experience does temper how they look at and interpret art.

I remember reading 'School for Scandal' in my Literature of the Reformation class and I didn't even detect a whiff of lesbianism in it, but my roommate - who was a budding lesbian at the time - read it on every page.

I think that could definitely apply here as well. Doesn't mean anyone's individual interpretation is right or wrong - just different- and yes, definitely affected by their experience.

0 Replies