West Memphis 3 Are Going To Be Freed!

izzythepush

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 08:26 am
@wandeljw,
I never claimed it was.
wandeljw

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 08:30 am
@izzythepush,
I had confined my remarks about the two cases to a lack of evidence. Prosecution remarks to the press about satanic ritual is also present in both cases.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 08:45 am
@wandeljw,
There does seem to be a huge Media campaign going on over there though. I am just talking about my impressions in all this. Over here, most people are in two minds about Knox. If anything they're a bit put out by what seems to be a complete disregard for Meredith Kercher' family by the Knox campaign.

Making loud noises in the American Media about the corrupt nature of Italian jurisprudence will not help Knox's appeal in the slightest, if anything it will have the exact opposite effect. I'm going to wait and see how the appeal turns out.
Arella Mae

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 09:03 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Odd that you guys have a problem with sharing information on this case.

You pmpous little twit! We share information on all the threads we post on! At first I wasn't going to share information with you because you didn't care enough to have facts before you opened your big mouth and made a fool of yourself. I CHANGED my mind because you SEEMED sincere in wanting to know about this case. DUH ON ME!

Quote:
I also find it interesting that you Firefly are taking the interesting moral position that it does not matter if the three of them are in fact guilty of killing those children or not they still should go free because of the poor treatment they was given by the justice system.

Another stupid remark! That's not what she said at all. I'll let her address that.

Quote:
To me it matter one hell of a lot if they are three innocent men walking free or three murderers of young children walking free no matter how badly the case was mess up in the first place.

It matters to us too. That's why WE CARED ENOUGH TO RESEARCH and find out what happened and not one of us has ever forgotten three little boys lost their lives at the hands of someone. But in my opinion, based on research, it wasn't at the hands of the WM3.

Quote:
That why personally I would love to see all three take lied detectors tests and once more if they are innocent and pass those tests it would be helpful to them in getting their lives back and perhaps pressuring the state to find the real killer or killers.

Hopefully, some lawyer on this forum will come and tell you just how really stupid that is. It amazes me that you would think yourself so brilliant that you would think of giving them lie detector tests but of course their own defense laways in the past 18 years wouldn't think of that. IF THAT WOULD HAVE WORKED they would have done it. DUH! DUH! AND DUH!

You really need to stop letting your alligator mouth overload your hummingbird butt.

And BTW Bill, from now on, I wouldn't tell you the time of day if you asked for it.
Arella Mae

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 09:05 am
izzythepush, thank you! I am going to keep my eye open for that.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 09:53 am
@Arella Mae,
My friend the case is over so if they fail liar detector tests now it would not matter one little bit legally.

To risk failing before would had taken the airs out of their supporters sails and harm their appeals so no lawyer would suggest they ran that risk.

Number two their lawyers would had needed state permissions for them to take such tests after their convictions but now they are free to do so.

If they are guilty is the only reason I can think of not to risk taking such tests now.

Legally there is now zero risk and passing would do one hell of a lot to stop people from feeling that they got partly away with murdering three children and allow them to get on with their lives under far less of a cloud.
Arella Mae

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 10:08 am
Does anyone else hear that hiss coming from what sounds like a hummingbird's butt? CLICK.
Arella Mae

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 10:34 am
http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/08/19/arkansas.release.families/index.html?hpt=ju_c1

Quote:
Emotions run high among parents of slain Arkansas boys

That is the word John Mark Byers, whose stepson Christopher was among three second-graders killed in West Memphis, Arkansas in May 1993, repeatedly used to describe Friday's release of three men convicted in the boys' murders from a Craighead County Courthouse in Jonesboro.

It is a sentiment shared by Steven Branch Sr., whose son Steven also was slain -- but for entirely different reasons.

A sense of disbelief and anger was ripe Friday among the victims' family members, trying to make sense of what happened 18 years ago and, especially, Friday. That is when Damien Echols, Jason Baldwin and Jessie Misskelley Jr. entered what is known as an Alford plea on murder charges for which a jury had found them guilty. By doing so, the three maintained their innocence even as they acknowledged that prosecutors have enough evidence to convict them.

Byers told reporters that he previously felt that these three men murdered Christopher, Steven Branch and Michael Moore, mutilated the boys' bodies, then left them in a ditch, hogtied with their own shoelaces.

But since 2007, he's become convinced that all three are innocent -- as they have long claimed -- and has fought for their cause.

And he is flabbergasted the men, as part of the plea deal reached with Arkansas' 2nd Judicial District Prosecuting Attorney Scott Ellington, have returned home even though their convictions on three counts of murder apiece still stand. In Byers' view, they should have been cleared without any caveats.

"Do the citizens of Arkansas realize how crazy this is is?" Byers said. "To think that I'm disturbed and upset and mad over it, yes, I am. I want justice."

So, too, does Steven Branch Sr.

West Memphis Three: Free and guilty too? He does not believe the prosecution should have accepted the defense's proposal to employ the rarely used pleas, nor that the convicts should have been released as a result.

Outside the court Friday, Branch referred to Echols, Baldwin and Misskelley as "animals" who should have remained behind bars -- and, in Echols' case, been executed as he'd been sentenced.

Branch told reporters that he believes allowing the three convicted felons to walk free via a mechanism like the Alford plea sets a dangerous precedent.

"It's just going to give a key to everybody that's on death row right now to open up their cells and walk out there with the rest us," he said. "All the killers, the rapists, the serial murderers."

The roller coaster of emotions has taken a toll on Branch's ex-wife, Pat Hobbs. She told CNN affiliate WREG that she'd once believed fervently Echols, Baldwin and Misskelley killed her son.

Now, Hobbs said, she doesn't know what to think. What she does want, though, is peace -- for herself and her late son.

"It's a terrible nightmare that I have to live with from day-to-day," Hobbs told WREG. "And I want to rest, and I want my son to rest."

I think it is a great testimony of the truth re: Mark Byer's change of heart about the WM3. He was so convinced, like so many others, that the WM3 had, indeed, committed this crime. He went from virtually want to put them in their graves to wanting them freed completely with no caveats. He wanted the truth no matter what that truth turned out to be. I hope someday Mr. Hobbs can find the peace he seeks.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 11:05 am
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
Does anyone else hear that hiss coming from what sounds like a hummingbird's butt? CLICK.

LOL Jesus would not be happy with your click indeed...............
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 11:08 am
Note given that legally they are still guilty can they benefit from their "crime" with pay interviews or books?
Arella Mae

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 11:11 am
@firefly,
I don't know anywhere near as much about Amanda Knox's case as I do the WM3. But, from the little that I do know, I tend to believe she is not guilty. I think I will immerse myself into some research on this. I know one thing for sure. That young woman must feel so alone in a foreign country and this is happening to her.

What I do know about the case, if I remember correctly that is, Amanda's behavior (much like Damien's) played a large part in others "viewing" her as guilty?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 11:18 am
I finally found something on who was and who was not given a lie detector test. Damien was given one by the police and deception was indicated; however, as you can see by the list and their results, others also had deception indicated and were not charged with anything.

http://www.jivepuppi.com/polygraph.html
firefly

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 12:23 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Note given that legally they are still guilty can they benefit from their "crime" with pay interviews or books?

Don't you ever bother to read what anyone else posts?

I answered that question on the previous page. Under the terms of their particular plea agreement they can benefit from interviews, books, movies, etc. So they might use such things to help support themselves.

If you expect others to answer questions for you, you should at least pay attention to the information which has already been posted.
BillRM

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 12:33 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
If you expect others to answer questions for you, you should at least pay attention to the information which has already been posted.

My my here I always assumed you was past that time of month emotional swings. Drunk
izzythepush

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 12:36 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

My my here I always assume you was past that time of month emotional swings. Drunk

Not only is that the worst constructed sentence I have ever read, it's also a really cheap shot, as is this.
BillRM

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 12:42 pm
@Arella Mae,
Thank for the link and one interesting thing is that the liar detector operator was hardly an expert in the field in this case.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 12:46 pm
@izzythepush,
Thanks as I was looking to produce a cheap shot so it is very nice to know that I had reached my goal.

Nastiness for nastiness sake sometimes called for a reply in a similar tone.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 01:23 pm
@BillRM,
Why are you so enamored with lie detector tests?

There is a reason they are not admissible as evidence in court--they are not that reliable. They can yield false positive as well as false negative results.

Either you believe the evidence presented against these 3 at trial indicated guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, or you believe that the evidence presented at trial was insufficient to link them to the killings--that's how you would arrive at a determination of guilt in this case. Lie detectors, given 18 years later, would add nothing to anyone's perceptions regarding guilt.

If you knew anything about this case, you would realize that there was no evidence actually linking them to the crime. A recanted, inconsistent confession, by one of the three, does not constitute evidence of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

If this was a rape, wouldn't you be appalled if the defendant was convicted without any evidence actually linking him to the crime? That's what you've been saying in the rape thread. How come you don't feel the same way about this case?
Quote:
Thanks as I was looking to produce a cheap shot

A cheap shot is about all you are capable of. A meaningful discussion is way beyond your capabilities.
firefly

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 03:50 pm
Quote:
West Memphis Three: What will they do now that they're out of prison?
Suzi Parker | The Christian Science Monitor | Aug 20, 2011

Life seldom plays out like a movie. But for the West Memphis Three, it did.

The lives of the three men convicted of the 1993 brutal killings of three young Cub Scouts in Arkansas shifted dramatically this week.

On Monday, Damien Echols sat on death row while Jason Misskelley and Jason Baldwin each faced life without parole sentences. By Friday afternoon, they were free men with no restrictions on travel and undefined futures after 18 years behind bars.

At a hearing in Jonesboro, Ark., Friday morning, the trio agreed to a legal maneuver that allowed them to maintain their innocence while acknowledging that prosecutors had enough evidence against them to find guilt. Important questions had been raised about crime scene evidence and conduct of the trial. They were sentenced to time served and immediately released.

But such a startling change in circumstances could have dire effects on the three men locked up as teenagers and now in their mid-30s. They've spent half their lives in prison, missing out on the presidencies of Bill Clinton and George W. Bush, the rise of Twitter and Facebook, wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, the election of the first black president, and the creation of reality TV.

“It’s disconcerting when an inmate leaves the system so abruptly,” says Dr. Frederic G. Reamer, a professor at the School of Social Work at Rhode Island College in Providence “And it’s extraordinarily unusual. To go from zero to 75 within a matter of hours is likely to be overwhelming for anybody. There hasn’t been enough time to construct the scaffolding that an ex-offender absolutely needs after entering society.”

For the West Memphis Three, legal negotiations accelerated so quickly that this couldn't happen.

Shea Wilson, an Arkansas Department of Correction spokesman, says that no inmate has ever walked off death row like Echols.

Most inmates have some notice of impending release, Wilson says, in order to prepare for life on the outside. Typically, prison officials work with inmates on a parole plan that includes programs designed to help them transition to a new life.

The three men were teenagers when they were arrested. In prison, they grew up in a hostile environment surrounded by violent offenders, says Reamer, who also serves on the Rhode Island Parole Board. Echols has lived in solitary confinement for ten years, and now he has to learn daily human interaction.

.While in prison, Echols married Lorri Davis, a long-time defender of the three men. One challenge will be learning how to maintain that relationship.

“Sudden liberation, while wonderful, can also be absolutely overwhelming,” Reamer says.

According to experts, recently released prisoners have three areas of concern. They must adapt to the practical side of an unstructured world – making life decisions for the first time and learning new skills like working a smart phone. Second, community support is a must. And third, they need psychological attention to understand their experience.

“In the end, it would be a deeply personal process, dealing with the pains of an 18-year imprisonment and a perception of betrayal by the criminal justice system,” says Dr. Michael Jenkins, a professor at the University of New Haven’s Henry C. Lee College of Criminal Justice and Forensic Sciences in Connecticut.

After their release, Echols and Baldwin attended a lunch and later an evening party at a swanky Memphis, Tenn., hotel with supporters that included Pearl Jam’s Eddie Vedder and Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks.

While celebrity hoopla and international attention currently surrounds the West Memphis Three, reality will soon loom.

“My guess is that their heads are spinning,” Reamer says. “It will take a Herculean effort to cope with this traumatic set of challenges in everyday life.”
http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/west-memphis-three-what-will-they-do-now-theyre-out-prison

I hope that they do get some psychological assistance to help them cope with the abrupt and total change in their lives.
I would also think that a lot of the anger they might have been suppressing all these years, about their treatment by the legal system, and what has been irretrievably taken from them, might really start coming to the surface now. Even the DNA evidence which eventually led to their release could have been processed and considered years ago, but the state dragged its heels while these men were being denied their freedom.

They do face considerable challenges in their newly free, and radically altered, lives.
JTT

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 04:16 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
but the state dragged its heels while these men were being denied their freedom.

And the state also appears to have positioned themselves to deflect any blame/any responsibility away from their, if you've read this accurately, heinous actions.