Am I being reasonable or am I way off base?

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 03:14 pm
My girlfriend and I have been together for 9 months now and we are exculsive and love each other. My issue is this: She has a guy friend who she used to have very strong feelings for that she still has contact with on a regular basis. He lives 1,500 miles away in another state so their contact has only been phone/text/email. This guy has also said negative things about me in the past. Back in May my girlfriend and I broke up for about a week. Since we have been back together she has not told her guy friend that we are back together. She says she does not want him to know because she thinks she might have a financial opportunity with him and that if he knows he might somehow retaliate against her and deny her this opportunity. She also has told me that she sort values his "approval" and doesn't want to hear him say negative things about us being together. During our relationship I have always tried to be there for my girlfriend and make her my priority. I am basically there for her whenever she needs me. My question is this: Am I being unreasonable in my thinking that her having a friendship with this guy is not cool? They have known each other for years, and we've only been together for 9 months . Or am I being overly sensitive in thinking that this is not cool. I just think that when you are in a relationship that it's almost impossible to have a really good friend of the opposite sex who you talk to frequently and especially when that person has said negative things about you. I would love any input or feedback. Thaks!

MMarciano

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 03:18 pm
I met the love of my life back in January, we have been dating exclusively for three months now and I wouldn'd hide our relationship from anyone and neither should your girlfriend, of course that’s my opinion.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 03:19 pm
@Jrogers418,
I think your gut is right. I don't like that she's not telling him you're back together, and I don't like that she thinks he'll retaliate if he knows. What's up with that? There are still some feelings there, obviously. I'd question what you're doing there, other than loving her, obviously. How long do you think this will continue? Do you think she'd ever hide anything from you the way she is him? Etc. Ask yourself some questions.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 03:19 pm
@Jrogers418,
I don't know how much in love with you she is if she tries to hide you.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 03:20 pm
WOW!
All 3 of us posted at the same time, saying the same thing.

Coincidence?
MMarciano

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 03:20 pm
@chai2,
I think now.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 04:56 pm
@Jrogers418,
Jrogers418 wrote:
.... She says she does not want him to know because she thinks she might have a financial opportunity with him and that if he knows he might somehow retaliate against her and deny her this opportunity. ...

Eek, you're being thrown over for shares of stock or something like that?
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 05:04 pm
@Jrogers418,
There's nothing wrong with having a friend of the opposite sex. The 'wrongness' is usually about trust. If that is what you are worried about then you need to have a look at what you need out of your relationship, and whether it will work for you.

... If he's a friend, then why would he retaliate against her getting back together with someone she loves? That's not friendship.

...and what is the financial opportunity she has? Is there a possibility of you and her doing the same arrangement?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2011 07:03 am
Well here's another thought: she is keeping her professional and personal life separate.

Step back and watch how this fleshes out. It may have very little to do with your relationship with her.

dkbose898

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 04:41 am
@PUNKEY,
This guy has also said negative things about me in the past. Back in May my girlfriend and I broke up for about a week. Since we have been back together she has not told her guy friend that we are back together. She says she does not want him to know because she thinks she might have a financial opportunity with him and that if he knows he might somehow retaliate against her and deny her this opportunity
contrex

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 05:27 am
@dkbose898,
dkbose898 wrote:

This guy has also said negative things about me in the past. Back in May my girlfriend and I broke up for about a week. Since we have been back together she has not told her guy friend that we are back together. She says she does not want him to know because she thinks she might have a financial opportunity with him and that if he knows he might somehow retaliate against her and deny her this opportunity

I don't know how to break this to you, pal, but she's been going out with another guy, called Jrogers418, and she has been spinning him exactly the same yarn! Considering the way her mind seems to work, I would cut your losses. Dump the broad before she cleans you out. If you have joint credit cards, bank statements, etc, check those statements! Minimize your exposure to the risk of her seriously defrauding you or waltzing off and leaving you with a huge debt.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 06:48 am
@dkbose898,
dkbose898 wrote:

you said all this in your first post.
contrex

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 07:36 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

dkbose898 wrote:
This guy bla bla bla

you said all this in your first post.

Check the screen names. The first post was by Jrogers418. As I have already noted.

0 Replies