Germany has Officially gone Looney Tunes

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 05:08 am
@izzythepush,
When you look at what the mayor of Vilnius does with illegally parked cars ... there must be more than one of such pop-ups now Very Happy

Official Vilnius City website
izzythepush

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 05:12 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Is it illegally parked, or does it belong to his ex-wife?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 05:22 am
@izzythepush,
According to the BBC
Quote:
The mayor of Lithuania's capital, Vilnius, has been filmed using an armoured vehicle to crush a car parked illegally in a cycle lane. ... The apparent owner then arrives to see his wrecked Mercedes being towed.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 05:29 am
@Walter Hinteler,
They should have some sort of competition, with crushing illegally parked cars as the prize. I'd rather do that than carry the Olympic flame.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 05:37 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
I'd rather do that than carry the Olympic flame.
Wait, until Coke's London 2012 Olympic Torch Relay is at your place and decide which is better, afterwards Wink
izzythepush

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 05:39 am
@Walter Hinteler,
That's not fair, It would only work if a tank came at the same time.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 05:59 am
@izzythepush,
I'm not sure, but perhaps you could do such in Bovington.
Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 06:03 am
If you're going to do this, get a real tank, don't be screwin' around with some puny APC . . .

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 06:12 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I am taking my little boy there for a day out in the next couple of weeks
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 06:39 am
@hawkeye10,
It is my understanding that a large percent of Germany electric power is coming over the border from pro-nuclear France now.

I had not google/research the subject that is just the impression that I had gotten from reading some articles over the years.
BillRM

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 06:49 am
@BillRM,
I guess it PC and green to shut down your nuclear plants and then buy power from nuclear plants and coal plants across your borders.

You right Germany is Looney Tunes for that action alone.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The German network will be fed from abroad
(photo: DAPD).

Monday 04 April 2011

The electricity supply in Germany has been the temporary closure of the seven oldest nuclear power plants rely more on imports from France. The Federal Republic has become the net exporter to net importer of electricity, says the Federal Association of Energy and Water. The government denies this, RWE is feared a blackout in southern Germany.

entry into force of the nuclear moratorium, Germany imports apparently twice as much electricity from France as in the past. Adds that the Federal Republic has become the net exporter to net importer of electricity, said the Federal Association of Energy and Water (BDEW) at the Hannover Messe.

Since 17 Accordingly, in March, Germany imported 50 gigawatt-hours a day more than it exported. “Have the power flows from France and the Czech Republic doubled,” said Hildegard Müller BDEW boss. France has Europe by far the most nuclear reactors, they account for more than three-quarters of the electricity in the neighboring country. Czech Republic relies mainly on coal power plants and about one-quarter to nuclear power. Critics of the nuclear moratorium, the federal government had indicated that it do not make sense in Germany to shut down nuclear power plant, then cover missing quantity by nuclear power or climate-damaging coal electricity from abroad.

Government does
djjd62

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 07:07 am
this is my favourite German Looney Tunes episode
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herr_Meets_Hare
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 07:09 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

It is my understanding that a large percent of Germany electric power is coming over the border from pro-nuclear France now.

Generally, Germany imports and exports electric power, with changing daily amount due to daily changing electricity prices.

Until April 2011, we exported (in total) more than we imported.
The imports from France didn't change until April this year, but than went up due to the fact that a couple of our nuclear power stations weren't online.
So, from April this year onwards, we now (in total) import more than we export.
The nuclear import from France (1450 MWh) and Czech (1058) is indeed larger than that (wind) from Denmark (1860)less - in total, we just now have an import balance of 1555MW (import 4576 vs. export 3021).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 07:13 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

I guess it PC and green to shut down your nuclear plants and then buy power from nuclear plants and coal plants across your borders.

I don't know if it's really PC (but it has always been the main topic and aim for the 'Greens').

However, public opinion tend to favour this. And our conservative/liberal [liberal here = centre-right classical liberal] government decided it.
Thomas

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 07:19 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Germany, the beer is great, but I no longer want to live there.

Oh no! I suggest you leave Germany immediately then.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 07:22 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
However, public opinion tend to favour this. And our conservative/liberal [liberal here = centre-right classical liberal] government decided it.

The Christian Democrats and the Free Democrats have always been against nuclear power. In other news, Eurasia has always been at war with Oceania.
BillRM

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 07:26 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Interesting..................

Somehow the logic of paying someone else for power produce in their nuclear plants instead of your nuclear plants just across the border seem odd to say the least.

I do not know the wind patterns between France and Germany but if a large scale nuclear accident would occur on French soil near the border somehow I do not think that Germany would be one hell of a lot better off then if it occur on their own soil for example.

Then how about all the lovely coal dust being placed in the air by Czech Republic how is the winds patterns between them and Germany?

Your Greens seems not to be tied into the real world too tightly.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 07:52 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Then how about all the lovely coal dust being placed in the air by Czech Republic how is the winds patterns between them and Germany?

I've been both in the Czech Republic as well as in the German bordering regions. I haven't that "lovely coal dust", nor could I find any data online to back your view.

As said above: the Greens are in our federal parliament, but not in the federal government.
They are partners in some state government coalitions. However, every power company decides for itself, where they buy what kind of electricity, on a daily basis at the electricity exchange.

Government only comes into play in regard to the "electricity mix" which those companies have to declare to the end-use customer (which is as average over Germany 17,3 % renewable energy, 24,9 % nuclear energy and 57,8 % coal energy).
BillRM

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 08:03 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Germany 17,3 % renewable energy

I am going to have to research on the claimed of 17.3 renewable as that seems very high with today technology to say the least.

Bet someone is doing very creative bookkeeping to come up with that kind of a number.

Hmm let me see from my memory of WW2 history and the British attempts to attacked them you do have some very large dams so perhaps that where you could get that high a percent of renewable energy as it surely not from wind or solar cells.
Thomas

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2011 08:06 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
I do not know the wind patterns between France and Germany but if a large scale nuclear accident would occur on French soil near the border somehow I do not think that Germany would be one hell of a lot better off then if it occur on their own soil for example.

I agree. And I agree that's one of the reasons why shutting down Germany's nuclear power plants is a bad idea.

BillRM wrote:

It's a thing of the past. After the fall of the Iron Curtain, the Czech Republic has done a good on their brown-coal power plants. They either cleaned them up or shut them down. Consequently, brown coal dust is no longer a problem.

BillRM wrote:

You seem to be working from Op-Ed articles by authors who are 20 years behind on their facts.
0 Replies