Campbell Soup Drops the Salt Scare Fanatics

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 01:48 pm
@Miller,
Quote:
Who buys zero-fat milk and then adds ice cream to it, to make a milk shake
Who buys zero fat milk?? It tastes bad and the scientists have figured out that it is not as good for the body as is fatted milk. Sure we were told by the minders for about 20 years that we should be drinking the lowest fat milk we can tolorate, and then try to go lower later, but they were either lying or they were wrong.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 01:52 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You don't half choose some weird ******* freedoms to defend.
What can I say, people getting up in my face about the choices I make and then trying to decide for me about my food, sex, relationships, speech and women pisses me the **** off. I decide.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 01:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Who buys zero fat milk?? It tastes bad and the scientists have figured out that it is not as good for the body as is fatted milk. Sure we were told by the minders for about 20 years that we should be drinking the lowest fat milk we can tolorate, and then try to go lower latter, but they were either lying or they were wrong.

Who buys anything that can't be cooked in a microwave?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 01:53 pm
@hawkeye10,
I like Tabasco sauce on almost everything so I rarely use salt when cooking.

I like to cook so I hardly ever eat prepared foods. When I do I'm amazed by how either sweet or salty they are.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 01:58 pm
@boomerang,
Hawkeye's defence of rights, always tends to focus on the rights of the rich and powerful to do whatever they want, to become more rich and powerful.

And the rights of the rest of us to be well and truly shafted.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 02:02 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I like Tabasco sauce on almost everything so I rarely use salt when cooking.

I like to cook so I hardly ever eat prepared foods. When I do I'm amazed by how either sweet or salty they are.
Until about three years ago I never added salt, but now I do it all the time because the products are so poorly made. I have always added spices, and often boost the heat. I am with you on American products often being overly sweet, but the salt does not bother me.

On a related note, the trend in restaurant kitchens to not flavor the food, particularly to not put salt in food pisses me off to no end. When I come across these places, which is often now, I complain once, and if they continue this lack of respect for my taste buds I refuse to be a customer.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 02:03 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Hawkeye's defence of rights, always tends to focus on the rights of the rich and powerful to do whatever they want, to become more rich and powerful.

And the rights of the rest of us to be well and truly shafted.
How is the right to good tasting food a class issue?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 02:04 pm
i never notice the lack of salt, but always notice too much, i don't add salt to anything i cook, i figure external ingredients have plenty, in fact when folks come to visit i usually have to bust up a big lump of salt in the shaker as it never gets used
boomerang

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 02:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
On a related note, the trend in restaurant kitchens to not flavor the food, particularly to not put salt in food pisses me off to no end

Maybe they should supply some finishing salts. I have a few of those that I use at the table. I like them much better than already salted foods.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 02:07 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
in fact when folks come to visit i usually have to bust up a big lump of salt in the shaker as it never gets used
Did no one ever teach you about putting a few grains of rice in the shaker to soak up the moisture so that you dont have that problem??
djjd62

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 02:12 pm
@hawkeye10,
but it's not my problem, i don't use salt

and nothing skeeves me out more than seeing those grains of rice in some diner salt shaker, even though i'm not using it
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 02:13 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
Maybe they should supply some finishing salts. I have a few of those that I use at the table. I like them much better than already salted foods.
There are two places that I have come across this, and I am fine with it, because they give me very high quality salt at the table. One was the Belly Tumbler in Portland (now closed) which gave me a trio of very good salts, and the other is Volterra in Seattle which gives you their signature fennel salt to finish the dishes.
boomerang

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 02:23 pm
@hawkeye10,
Do you mean Belly Timber? That was a really good place to eat!
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 02:55 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Do you mean Belly Timber? That was a really good place to eat!
Yep, sorry. Only went twice but I was very impressed. Then the chef (the bacon goes in everything guy) left because he wanted to tour Europe and the place rapidly fell apart...or so I have read.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 09:54 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Who buys zero fat milk?? It tastes bad and the scientists have figured out that it is not as good for the body as is fatted milk.

I don't use salt and I drink only 1% milk or zero fat milk. Both types of milk, come from the dairy in glass bottles delivered to my home.

You may disagree, but hypertension caused by excessive amounts of salt and
heart disease caused by excessive dietary fat are not laughing matters. To be healthy, you want to have elevated HDL levels and low LDL either by medication and/or dietary restriction of fat. Low salt helps to keep the BP within the normal range.

If you think that having a stroke may be a fun thing to endure, then by all means use lots of table salt to get that BP elevated and be sure to eat a diet enriched in fat.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 11:12 pm
@Miller,
Quote:
If you think that having a stroke may be a fun thing to endure, then by all means use lots of table salt to get that BP elevated and be sure to eat a diet enriched in fat.
I take lisinopril, which costs me nothing....problem solved.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 11:55 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You don't half choose some weird ******* freedoms to defend.

He's what Vince Cable called a "right wing nutter".
izzythepush

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 04:11 am
@contrex,
Although he acts more like Mr. Bean. (Another Cablism)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 04:14 am
The idiocy of Chicken Little is that there was never any threat to his freedom. Apparently, as we've discussed, he was unaware that he could just pick up the salt cellar and dump as much salt into his soup as the bowl would hold. He's a phony--fake indignation at chimerical threats is his stock in trade.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 04:41 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
He's a phony--fake indignation at chimerical threats is his stock in trade
Are you seriously so out of it that you dont know that there are multitudes of Americans who are pissed off about government and government supported intrusion into the market place? You paint yourself as a fool when you carry on as if it is just me. You paint yourself as an asshole when you keep claiming that what I say is fake, but then we have well known for a long time what you are, plenty of people comment on it.