Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 08:29 pm
My husband came home tonight and the minute he walked into the door I knew something was dreadfully wrong. I asked him "What's wrong! What happened?" He said, "I hate to have to tell you this but our neighbor just shot Freckles." Freckles was a pup about eight months old that I rescued. Johnny was in the RV opening up the windows to air it out. Our neighbor walked up to the fence and was provoking Freckles, who was on the inside of the fence in our yard. Johnny said the guy walked back and forth a time or two and then Freckles came out of the yard and the guy fired twice and killed him. I called the Sheriff. They arrested him. He is a paroled felon. The police did not find the gun. The officer said Johnny was their probable cause to arrest this guy. They just left after coming to tell us he was arrested. The officer asked Johnny to describe him to be sure they had the right man.

I have never talked to this man. He lives a quarter a mile away. I don't know why he would walk up to our property and kill my dog. Johnny thinks he probably killed Tippy too. He disappeared a couple of weeks ago. I am a bit afraid. I am worried this guy will retaliate. I thank God my husband was not outside at the time.

I don't understand why people hurt innocent creatures. I don't get it at all.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 15 • Views: 7,110 • Replies: 139

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 08:40 pm
@Arella Mae,
Oh, how awful and poor Freckles and poor Tippy had to die because of a maniac like this. How can a felon own a gun? I hope he'll be put back in jail
for a long, long time. He violated his parole with having a gun and he'll
get charged additionally with animal cruelty, so don't be afraid, he won't be
back in the near future.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 08:41 pm
@Arella Mae,
I just had to shoot a potentially rabid possum.

It was drinking from Smoky's cat watering trough just before dusk, and all the cats were about 15 feet away just freaking on it being so bold and carefree of them.

he was all mangy and sad looking, and retching...

but I still felt terrible doing it.

I cannot fathom someone enjoying taking an animal's life.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 08:45 pm
@Arella Mae,
I'm terribly sorry that you and your family had to suffer this traumatic loss due to the violent acts of a sick and broken individual. Hopefully he will be sent away for a very long time to think about his unprovoked and malicious acts.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 08:51 pm
Thank all of you. I am just heartbroken. I can't stand the thought of animals suffering. I do understand about shooting that rabid oppossum. Some things are necessary.

The police said they could not find the gun. They could do a GSR test though, couldn't they? That would prove he had a gun?

I live in the country. Not hard for anyone to get a gun around here, unfortunately.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 05:23 am
@Arella Mae,
I'm really sorry this has happened, Arella.
It's really frightening that a neighbour should behave in such a way.
I don't understand why anyone would hurt or kill an innocent animal, either.
Poor little dogs.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 06:08 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
My husband came home tonight and the minute he walked into the door I knew something was dreadfully wrong. I asked him "What's wrong! What happened?" He said, "I hate to have to tell you this but our neighbor just shot Freckles." Freckles was a pup about eight months old that I rescued. Johnny was in the RV opening up the windows to air it out. Our neighbor walked up to the fence and was provoking Freckles, who was on the inside of the fence in our yard. Johnny said the guy walked back and forth a time or two and then Freckles came out of the yard and the guy fired twice and killed him. I called the Sheriff. They arrested him. He is a paroled felon. The police did not find the gun. The officer said Johnny was their probable cause to arrest this guy. They just left after coming to tell us he was arrested. The officer asked Johnny to describe him to be sure they had the right man.

I have never talked to this man. He lives a quarter a mile away. I don't know why he would walk up to our property and kill my dog. Johnny thinks he probably killed Tippy too. He disappeared a couple of weeks ago. I am a bit afraid. I am worried this guy will retaliate. I thank God my husband was not outside at the time.

I don't understand why people hurt innocent creatures. I don't get it at all.
Its not unusual for serial murderers to kill animals before thay graduate to humans.
At first, thay r afraid to do so.

Particularly, thay r afraid to avenge themselves upon persons who have abused them
(e.g., parents, older brothers, uncles, or teachers, employers), so thay strike out against
inanimate property (like my car window) or animals
before moving on to humans.

mental sickness, proceeding from cowardice
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 06:34 am
@Arella Mae,
Is the perpetrator still in custody ?

For your safety,
neither u nor Johnny shoud be unarmed.

Hope for the best and PREPARE for the worst.
Arella Mae

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 09:53 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Johnny is carrying the .357 and I'm carrying the .32. I hate to do that! The only thing I have ever really used a gun for was to chase away dogs from my cats by shooting it in the air. But, Johnny says he wants me to carry it with me for my safety.

The guy is still in jail. If they can prove he had a gun, because he is a felon, he won't be getting out anytime too soon. I think what really frightened me was the fact the police said he is crazy. I know it's crazy to shoot an innocent animal but if the police know you and they say you are crazy that kind of scares me.

Johnny is going to the sheriff's tomorrow and is giving a statement and will probably have to ID the guy again.

I didn't sleep very good. I was worrying about my other animals. But everyone is okay this morning. I am praying this isn't really going to put us "At War" with the neighbor but Johnny thinks it will.

ty for your kind words msolga.
H2O MAN

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 12:16 pm
@Arella Mae,
That's heartbreaking... I'm sorry for you loss and I hope the scumbag that
murdered your puppy never sees another day of freedom for the rest of his life.
Arella Mae

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 12:22 pm
@H2O MAN,
Thank you. As much as I hate to admit it, I am having a very hard time with this. I do not understand how anyone can deliberately kill an innocent creature that has done nothing to them. If my dog were on his property and barking at him or something, I might be able to understand that. But Freckles was on our property behind the fence and this guy deliberately lured him out to kill him.

The police officer that came first last night used to work for my husband and they are friends. He is the one that came back to tell us the guy had been arrested. He said he would see to it this man was charged with everything they could charge him with.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 12:40 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
Johnny is carrying the .357 and I'm carrying the .32. I hate to do that
With all Respect, Arella, a .32 is a poor, poor defensive gun; ineffective.
Its STOPPING POWER is a joke.
Do not bet your life on a .32, not even on a .38!
Case in point: NY in the 1960s.
Some police chased a bum into an alley.
He turned, broke a glass bottle and charged one of the police,
who emptied out his .38 revolver into the chest of the bum,
who perished from his wounds, but before he did,
he jammed his broken bottle into the neck of the officer who shot him,
inflicting fatal injuries.

During the Philippine Insurrection (1899–1902), doped up Moro Moslems,
armed with machette work knives, attacked American troops
who defended themselves with .38 revolvers. Same story: the Moros died after chopping our guys up,
until thay re-armed themselves with .45s.
The Key to Success in STOPPING POWER is BIG, slow bullets,
preferably hollowpointed with W I D E cavities to put the brakes on inside the target, optimizing energy-dump.
.45 Long Colt ammunition from a nice, reliable revolver shoud offer u gentle recoil. Try it and see,
but whatever u do: go get yourself some decent STOPPING POWER.

Arella Mae wrote:
The only thing I have ever really used a gun for was to chase away dogs from my cats by shooting it in the air.
But, Johnny says he wants me to carry it with me for my safety.
Not safe enuf, meaning no disrespect; I love my .32s,
but I don't take them seriously enuf to bet my life on them.

Arella Mae wrote:
The guy is still in jail. If they can prove he had a gun, because he is a felon, he won't be getting out anytime too soon.
I think what really frightened me was the fact the police said he is crazy.
Your first post made that obvious.

Arella Mae wrote:
I know it's crazy to shoot an innocent animal but if the police know you and they say you are crazy that kind of scares me.
With good reason; strengthen your defenses as well as u can; discuss with Johnny.
Consider all possibilities from all perspectives (yours and a bad guy's), looking outward and inward. Weakspots ?
Ask a respected friend (maybe the police) to inspect the perimeter of your realty for security.

Arella Mae wrote:
Johnny is going to the sheriff's tomorrow and is giving a statement and will probably have to ID the guy again.

I didn't sleep very good. I was worrying about my other animals.
Just turn your attention to whether or not there is any better protection that u can afford them.
Thay have taken enuf casualties.
An alarm system on perimeter fences ??
Noise generating devices ?

Arella Mae wrote:
But everyone is okay this morning. I am praying this isn't really going to put us "At War"
with the neighbor but Johnny thinks it will.
It DID. The neighbor Pearl Harbored u.
I don't recommend that u rely on the neighbor's forgiveness n forgetfullness.

David
H2O MAN

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 12:45 pm
The murder weapon needs to be found and there needs to be thorough search of the area

The perp/felon probably tossed or hid it as he slithered back to the rock he lived under.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 12:50 pm
Well, this is horrible - I'm sorry, Arella.
Arella Mae

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 01:01 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Okay, this is insanity. I don't even want to carry a gun! I am only doing it because my husband told me to. I may spend today locked in my house scared of what might happen but I am not going to let this take over my life. I have a job I have to go to tomorrow. I cannot lock up all my animals in the house with me to keep them safe.

Johnny will take care of us. I trust him. There was nothing he could do yesterday it all happened so fast. The police said they will drive by often. Maybe what I am really afraid of is what my husband might do. He is so angry. He is not much on turn the other cheek. I keep telling him but if you do something illegal then it's you that goes to jail! He thinks it would be worth it.

See how out of hand this whole thing is already? People are supposed to be safe on their own property. It's just nuts! I am rambling. I'm upset and don't really know what it is I feel right now.

I appreciate the opportunity to vent. I don't feel so alone now.
Arella Mae

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 01:02 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Well, this is horrible - I'm sorry, Arella.

Thank you.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 01:30 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
Okay, this is insanity. I don't even want to carry a gun! I am only doing it because my husband told me to. I may spend today locked in my house scared of what might happen but I am not going to let this take over my life. I have a job I have to go to tomorrow. I cannot lock up all my animals in the house with me to keep them safe.

Johnny will take care of us. I trust him. There was nothing he could do yesterday it all happened so fast. The police said they will drive by often. Maybe what I am really afraid of is what my husband might do. He is so angry. He is not much on turn the other cheek. I keep telling him but if you do something illegal then it's you that goes to jail! He thinks it would be worth it.

See how out of hand this whole thing is already? People are supposed to be safe on their own property. It's just nuts! I am rambling. I'm upset and don't really know what it is I feel right now.

I appreciate the opportunity to vent. I don't feel so alone now.
Maybe, if u r lucky, the bad guy will never be released,
in which case, u will be safe from him; who knows ??

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 05:02 pm

If it ever becomes necessary,
for a point of aim, I recommend the large bowel in lower abdomen,
to optimize STOPPING POWER. Criminals do not like to be shot in the large bowel.
It slows them down.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 05:06 pm
@Arella Mae,
This is just awful.

I'm so sorry to hear that this has happened.

I hope you'll soon feel safer.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 06:39 pm
@Arella Mae,
I'm sorry you're going through this, Arella!

Arella Mae wrote:
Johnny is carrying the .357 and I'm carrying the .32. I hate to do that! The only thing I have ever really used a gun for was to chase away dogs from my cats by shooting it in the air. But, Johnny says he wants me to carry it with me for my safety.

Do you know how to target and shoot a gun? Are you prepared to actually use it against a human? If your answer to any of these questions is "no", the mere carrying of a gun won't make you any safer, and I think you should discard your husband's advice to carry it.